Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,854 members, 7,802,738 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:22 PM

Has Anyone Here Ever Been On A Cruise To The Caribbean? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Has Anyone Here Ever Been On A Cruise To The Caribbean? (1200 Views)

I'm Visiting 7 Islands In The Caribbean On Tour / Boat Cruise To An Island In Lagos / Stunning Images Of The World's Biggest Cruise Ship (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has Anyone Here Ever Been On A Cruise To The Caribbean? by JeSoul(f): 3:57pm On Mar 04, 2009
What's it like being on a cruise ship for a week or so? did you get bored? seasick?

I'm contemplating going on one and its coming at no cost to me  grin  so its pretty much a free 7 day cruise to the Carribean stopping at 7 or so countries like Jamaica etc . . . any experiences? advice? thots?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Has Anyone Here Ever Been On A Cruise To The Caribbean? by nich(m): 8:35pm On Mar 04, 2009
cry Haba, why did u have to do that? U just tantalised me when you know that i wont be able to go with u.
Anyways, 'was on a naval vessel to escravos probably 20years ago. 'was fun, but i wasnt see sick. i was also glad we had some divers onboard.(wont tell u about that).

Catch urself a lot of fun, but cruise SAFELY. wink
Re: Has Anyone Here Ever Been On A Cruise To The Caribbean? by DeReloaded: 8:38pm On Mar 04, 2009
It's fun. Do you know how to swim?
Re: Has Anyone Here Ever Been On A Cruise To The Caribbean? by JeSoul(f): 9:24pm On Mar 04, 2009
DeReloaded:

It's fun. Do you know how to swim?
    You've gone on one? how long was it?  I'm no Micheal Phelps but I can survive in the water. Why?
Re: Has Anyone Here Ever Been On A Cruise To The Caribbean? by JeSoul(f): 9:27pm On Mar 04, 2009
nich:

cry Haba, why did u have to do that? U just tantalised me when you know that i wont be able to go with u.
Anyways, 'was on a naval vessel to escravos probably 20years ago. 'was fun, but i wasnt see sick. i was also glad we had some divers onboard.(wont tell u about that).

Catch urself a lot of fun, but cruise SAFELY. wink
lol . . . did it involve something you don't want the police to know about? grin
Re: Has Anyone Here Ever Been On A Cruise To The Caribbean? by doyin13(m): 9:39pm On Mar 04, 2009
Sadly the only cruise I have been on is the one that brought me to Europe.

The accommodation was a bit tight and seasickess was rife sha.

Oh well. . .
Re: Has Anyone Here Ever Been On A Cruise To The Caribbean? by DisGuy: 8:25pm On Mar 05, 2009
Lets wait for Bossman  grin
Re: Has Anyone Here Ever Been On A Cruise To The Caribbean? by JeSoul(f): 10:51pm On Mar 05, 2009
doyin13:

Sadly the only cruise I have been on is [b]the one that brought me to Europ[/b]e.

The accommodation was a bit tight and seasickess was rife sha.

Oh well. . .
for real for real? or you just taking a shot at the preferred method of transportation for illegal immigrants smiley

Dis Guy:

Lets wait for Bossman  grin
Re: Has Anyone Here Ever Been On A Cruise To The Caribbean? by DisGuy: 12:52am On Mar 06, 2009
sorry, Bossman (a member of this forum) travels to the Caribbean regularly or at least he has done so more than once with his family on a cruise

I'll send him a mail to shed more light if he's willing wink
Re: Has Anyone Here Ever Been On A Cruise To The Caribbean? by SeanT21(f): 1:17am On Mar 06, 2009
That is my dream.To ride on a cruise from Miami to The Caribean and back again.
I know a girl back when i was in the 10th grade who went on a cruise.She said You can shop,eat any food U want,etc on the cruise.She even show me some pics.It was beautiful.Cant wait to tell my story!!

My advice 2 U is to take enough money with You so U can enjoy.

Have FUN!!
Re: Has Anyone Here Ever Been On A Cruise To The Caribbean? by Bossman(m): 2:47am On Mar 06, 2009
Yes. I a have been on several cruises. Coincidentally, I am heading out for another one on the 21st. It's spring-break for the kids, and they have come to expect either a cruise or a Caribbean vacation every year. This one is Western Carribean leaving out of Miami. from the 22 - 29. The islands to be visited visited are Roatan, Honduras, Cozumel, Mexico, Belize, and the Bahamas. We've been to Cozumel and Bahamas several times.

It's extreme fun being on a cruise. Cruising is quite common on this end, may be because of the USA's proximity to the Caribbean. There are lots of things to do during those 7 days. The cruise ships themselves are just like a city. Several restaurants, Night clubs, day care for the kids, gym, spa, arcade. several pools, etc. I am sure you guys are aware of all the amenities. The key thing is that you get a chance to visit several countries/islands at once. You get to each port in the morning, and you leave about 8 - 9 hours later. We normally take an excursion/tour of the island, then end up at the beach.

As for costs, it depends on the cabin type you have. A balcony cabin (we always get a balcony) will cost about $150 more per person than an inside cabin, It normally averages out to about $1000/person + tax. And everything is included. You do not need to spend a dime extra on the cruise ship. Anything you do at the ports, excursions, etc. are all on you. Also, consider you may need to fly/drive to the port city you are leaving from. For example, this cruise leaves out of Miami, so we are flying into Miami a day before.

If anyone is interested in seeing pictures of some cruises we have been on and islands. PM me. And I will send you a link to view them on kodakgallery.com. That will likely give you a better idea.

Peace!
Re: Has Anyone Here Ever Been On A Cruise To The Caribbean? by martho(m): 8:05pm On Mar 07, 2009
Dominican republic is also good.lots of good dishes, and nice places like monte plata,puerto plata.
Re: Has Anyone Here Ever Been On A Cruise To The Caribbean? by JeSoul(f): 11:23pm On Mar 07, 2009
Dis Guy:

sorry, Bossman (a member of this forum) travels to the Caribbean regularly or at least he has done so more than once with his family on a cruise

I'll send him a mail to shed more light if he's willing wink

it worked! thank you!  kiss
Re: Has Anyone Here Ever Been On A Cruise To The Caribbean? by JeSoul(f): 11:30pm On Mar 07, 2009
Bossman:

Yes. I a have been on several cruises. Coincidentally, I am heading out for another one on the 21st. It's spring-break for the kids, and they have come to expect either a cruise or a Caribbean vacation every year. This one is Western Carribean leaving out of Miami. from the 22 - 29. The islands to be visited visited are Roatan, Honduras, Cozumel, Mexico, Belize, and the Bahamas. We've been to Cozumel and Bahamas several times.

It's extreme fun being on a cruise. Cruising is quite common on this end, may be because of the USA's proximity to the Caribbean. There are lots of things to do during those 7 days. The cruise ships themselves are just like a city. Several restaurants, Night clubs, day care for the kids, gym, spa, arcade. several pools, etc. I am sure you guys are aware of all the amenities. The key thing is that you get a chance to visit several countries/islands at once. You get to each port in the morning, and you leave about 8 - 9 hours later. We normally take an excursion/tour of the island, then end up at the beach.

As for costs, it depends on the cabin type you have. A balcony cabin (we always get a balcony) will cost about $150 more per person than an inside cabin, It normally averages out to about $1000/person + tax. And everything is included. You do not need to spend a dime extra on the cruise ship. Anything you do at the ports, excursions, etc. are all on you. Also, consider you may need to fly/drive to the port city you are leaving from. For example, this cruise leaves out of Miami, so we are flying into Miami a day before.

If anyone is interested in seeing pictures of some cruises we have been on and islands. PM me. And I will send you a link to view them on kodakgallery.com. That will likely give you a better idea.

Peace!
wow what a wealth of information! thanks!! kiss few more Q's . . . How much on average would you say you spend at the stops taking tours, visiting the countries, buying souvenirs etc ? and what about safety when stopping at these ports/countries? are they relatively safe? also can one stay in touch as in internet, cell phones etc while on the ship?
and I'd absolutely love to see pictures, I'll send u my email add. Thanks a bunch Bossman!
Re: Has Anyone Here Ever Been On A Cruise To The Caribbean? by Bossman(m): 2:21am On Mar 08, 2009
As I mentioned, this is optional. You do not have to even get off the ship. Most most people do to take tours, head tot he beach, eat at a local restaurant, buy souvenirs, etc.

The most I have spent in any particular country is about $100 - $120 for my family of 4. And this included a tour of the island, beach visit (food and drink included). And this was in St. Marteen. One of the more expensive islands. If you just want to hop on a cab and head to the beach and may be stop at the local market for souvenirs, it will cost you no where near that. Most of the ports are relatively safe. Tourism is the #1 source of revenue in most of these islands, and the go the extra length to make sure tourists are safe. The tours are usually organized by tour companies and in some cases individuals You can also book the tours/excursions through the cruise, but they are more expensive. You can negotiate with the tour operators when you get to port. We usually just get off the ship, talk to and negotiate with some the so many tour companies/cabs that are waiting until we get one that is willing to to what we want at a reasonable price. You can negotiate just like you negotiate when you go to the market in Naija. Typically, we take a mini tour of the city and ask them to take us to a beach. Just about all the beaches have a restaurant/bar right on the beach.

JeSoul:

wow what a wealth of information! thanks!! kiss few more Q's . . . How much on average would you say you spend at the stops taking tours, visiting the countries, buying souvenirs etc ? and what about safety when stopping at these ports/countries? are they relatively safe? also can one stay in touch as in internet, cell phones etc while on the ship?
and I'd absolutely love to see pictures, I'll send u my email add. Thanks a bunch Bossman!
Re: Has Anyone Here Ever Been On A Cruise To The Caribbean? by nich(m): 12:31pm On Mar 08, 2009
Haba, why did u have to do that? U just tantalised me when you know that i wont be able to go with u.

Catch urself a lot of fun, but cruise SAFELY.

lol . . .  did it involve something you don't want the police to know about? 
nope! no trouble-seeking adventures, just something with the propellers. (still wont tell u about that)

Hey! when's ur cruise scheduled for?
Re: Has Anyone Here Ever Been On A Cruise To The Caribbean? by JeSoul(f): 4:01pm On Mar 09, 2009
Bossman thanks again for all ur help, your info is priceless kiss smiley

nich:

nope! no trouble-seeking adventures, just something with the propellers. (still wont tell u about that)
becos it was of questionable legality right? grin

Hey! when's ur cruise scheduled for?
7 days in September.
Re: Has Anyone Here Ever Been On A Cruise To The Caribbean? by doyin13(m): 6:40pm On Mar 09, 2009
But come first Jesoul. . . . .this your free trip.

Who be the lucky guy ? grin grin grin

hehehehe
Re: Has Anyone Here Ever Been On A Cruise To The Caribbean? by JeSoul(f): 8:34pm On Mar 09, 2009
doyin13:

But come first Jesoul. . . . .this your free trip.

Who be the lucky guy ? grin grin grin

hehehehe
  lol . . .    cheesy common now Doyin, yanno its a "business" trip  grin
Re: Has Anyone Here Ever Been On A Cruise To The Caribbean? by stkris(m): 12:50am On Mar 10, 2009
JeSoul:

7 days in September.

u just gave me the name of my next spoken word poem. . i lik d sound o'dat wink
Re: Has Anyone Here Ever Been On A Cruise To The Caribbean? by JeSoul(f): 2:25pm On Mar 10, 2009
st-kris:

u just gave me the name of my next spoken word poem . . i lik d sound o'dat wink
You're a spokenword artist? cool smiley me too! and you're in Massachu? me too smiley got a website where I can peep some of your work?
Re: Has Anyone Here Ever Been On A Cruise To The Caribbean? by doyin13(m): 4:08pm On Mar 10, 2009
Kai. . .st-kris.

not so fast. I remember your location was Amsterdam a few days ago cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin
Re: Has Anyone Here Ever Been On A Cruise To The Caribbean? by JeSoul(f): 4:24pm On Mar 10, 2009
omo . . . nuthin, I repeat nuthin gets by the sharp-eyed Doyin grin Kris oya come and defend urself smiley
Re: Has Anyone Here Ever Been On A Cruise To The Caribbean? by stkris(m): 10:56pm On Mar 10, 2009
doyin13:

Kai. . .st-kris.

not so fast. I remember your location was Amsterdam a few days ago cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin

dude, i dont kno if u'r tryna be funny or u sincerely just mixed me up wiv someone else. i cant even remember ever changing my location, save for once bout 2 years ago when i changed it from "boston,usa" to what it is now. so if theres some post or wateva where i was supposedly from amsterdam, then post a link to it. atimes u need to think before u speak
Re: Has Anyone Here Ever Been On A Cruise To The Caribbean? by bunmii(f): 4:12pm On Mar 12, 2009
st-kris:

dude, i dont kno if u'r tryna be funny or u sincerely just mixed me up wiv someone else. i cant even remember ever changing my location, save for once bout 2 years ago when i changed it from "boston,usa" to what it is now. so if theres some post or wateva where i was supposedly from amsterdam, then post a link to it. atimes u need to think before u speak

awww. . .it is a case of mistaken identity jor cheesy cheesy grin

all these troubadours, muses, and spoken word artists. . .so sensitive.
can't take a likkle joke.
Re: Has Anyone Here Ever Been On A Cruise To The Caribbean? by stkris(m): 7:15am On Mar 13, 2009
@bunmi
i aint being sensitive ma, just setting d record straight .

n by d way doyin13; not so fast. i remember your location was "fudgepacking in the caucasus" 2 days ago.  cheesy  grin  tongue
Re: Has Anyone Here Ever Been On A Cruise To The Caribbean? by Parkflash(f): 12:26pm On Nov 23, 2023
razaeo:

Embarking on an Oahu sunset cruise for a week offers an incredible blend of relaxation and adventure. The stunning vistas and diverse activities onboard make it captivating. Yet, seasickness and boredom can vary. I recommend motion sickness aids and engaging activities to savor every moment. Enjoy your cruise!

I hope you realize this post was made since 2009?

(1) (Reply)

Tanyaneeds Is A Scammer, See Yim / Any One With Information On Royal Holloway University Environment / How Would You Like A Night In The World's First Underwater Hotel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.