Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,586 members, 7,809,122 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:04 AM

MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) (16759 Views)

Makeup Artist Does Blackface When She "Can't Find A Black Model" / Learn The Hidden Secret Of Organic Cream Making And Pro-making / Ten Must-haves For Every Classy Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by Rubyventures: 9:18am On Jul 09, 2015
LaRoyalHighness:
My challenge is with brushes... I don't know how to identify them. #waiting patiently for my lecturer.

For brushes to start with

For the face
You need foundation brush
Concealer brush
Contour / blush brush
powder brush
also a buffing brush.

for the eye brows
You will need
a spoolie
Angled liner brush

These are just the basics

1 Like

Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by Rubyventures: 9:23am On Jul 09, 2015
Also with brushes, it is better to invest in a very good one that will last you years and years and does not shed.
Brands such as Mac, real techniques, so ecco, elf etc and many more are very good and do not shed.
Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by makeoverarena: 5:30pm On Jul 09, 2015

1 Like

Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by LaRoyalHighness(f): 3:00pm On Jul 10, 2015
Thank you.. Pictures would be appreciated... Please.
Rubyventures:

For brushes to start with

For the face
You need foundation brush
Concealer brush
Contour / blush brush
powder brush
also a buffing brush.

for the eye brows
You will need
a spoolie
Angled liner brush

These are just the basics
Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by touchofcee(f): 10:36pm On Jul 10, 2015
I believe you mean COLOR CORRECTORS. Color correctors are not face primers, they are correctors for scars, under eye redness, injuries etc. They come in shades of orange, green etc.. The colors to be used depends on the color of what you want to correct. For instance, to correct redness from injuries, you use a green color corrector to cancel out.. This is way beyond the scope of our discussion tho..

1 Like

Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by LaRoyalHighness(f): 10:44pm On Jul 10, 2015
Thank you totally.. I have seen the pictures.
LaRoyalHighness:
Thank you.. Pictures would be appreciated... Please.
Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by touchofcee(f): 11:00pm On Jul 10, 2015
When talking about brushes, I would always say, asides the basic angled brush for eyebrows etc, different brushes are adapted by different people/users for different purposes

Using this brush set as a case study..

the first brush is an angled Brush for filling in and applying concealer to your brows for definition.. I also double this angled brush as a concealer brush to apply concealer to tiny spots.

The next two are Eyeshadow brushes for applying eye shadows to your eyelid

Next is the Pencil brush for precision like nose highlight, tear-duct eyeshadow application, lower lash line eyeshadow application etc

Next is the big Slanted Angled brush, while most people use this for face contur, others use this for blush application

Next is the powder brush for powder application

Next is the stippling brush mostly used for foundation application

Next is the Foundation brush which is my favorite for cream to powder foundation application

Next is the Lip brush for lipstick application

Next is the Eyeshadow blending brush/crease brush

Next is the Flat eyeshadow brush for Upper eyelid eyeshadow application

Next is the Eyeliner brush for apply liquid , gel and all types of eyeliners

Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by estilo(f): 8:41am On Jul 11, 2015
Contact me on 07060836207 if you are interested in any of the make up brushes.
It's PAYMENT ON DELIVERY AND FREE DELIVERY NATION WIDE

Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by Fialm: 1:00pm On Jul 11, 2015
estilo:
Contact me on 07060836207 if you are interested in any of the make up brushes.
It's PAYMENT ON DELIVERY AND FREE DELIVERY NATION WIDE
How much do you sell it?
Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by temmie013(f): 6:05pm On Jul 11, 2015
touchofcee:
The Next Must have is a FACE PRIMER.. this serves as a base for your makeup i.e foundation etc. it allows makeup last longer and a better appearance..

Do you know you can mix your face primer with your foundation (for a light/natural coverage) this gives a smoother, long lasting and non 'cakey' application. (P.S: Give this a try)

Thanks so much for this thread...can u suggest 1 or 2 face primer that works really good? again, does primer actually control oil?
Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jul 11, 2015
Yay Make up cheesy grin

I need a good bronzer, recommend anyone for me
Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by estilo(f): 7:33pm On Jul 11, 2015
Fialm:
How much do you sell it?
The 12pcs is #5000 while the 24pcs is #6500
PAYMENT ON DELIVERY
FREE DELIVERY AVAILABLE NATION WIDE
Call or whatsapp 07060836207
Thanks
Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by touchofcee(f): 9:10pm On Jul 11, 2015
Nneka123:
Yay Make up cheesy grin

I need a good bronzer, recommend anyone for me

You can buy Zaron's face defined.. It comes with a face bronzer
Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by touchofcee(f): 9:12pm On Jul 11, 2015
temmie013:

Thanks so much for this thread...can u suggest 1 or 2 face primer that works really good? again, does primer actually control oil?

Yes primer controls oil.. But you can also whatsapp us or come by our training sessions for other better ways and makeup secrets to controlling oil.

For good face primers
1. Absolute, Zaron, L.a girl, smash box
Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by marylandcakes: 11:20am On Jul 12, 2015
Primers act as a barrier between your skin and makeup.
They are like a base for your makeup.
They reduce your pores and your makeup appears very smooth.

there are so many primers in the market and most of the very good ones are so expensive.
Maybelline pore reducer has got very high reviews and does not break your bank. And they cost under £10 pounds you can get them from boots or super drugs, wilko etc.
Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 9:49pm On Jul 14, 2015
touchofcee:

Yes primer controls oil.. But you can also whatsapp us or come by our training sessions for other better ways and makeup secrets to controlling oil.

For good face primers
1. Absolute, Zaron, L.a girl, smash box
Does it control.sweat?
Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by touchofcee(f): 9:43am On Jul 15, 2015
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Does it control.sweat?

From my experience as a Makeup Artist, primer doesn't control sweat.
Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by Rubyventures: 9:59am On Jul 15, 2015
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Does it control.sweat?

You will need a light blotting powder to control your facial sweat, if you sweat a lot on your face. This will help your makeup last longer. This should be applied with a foam pad not and not with a brush.
Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 10:09am On Jul 15, 2015
touchofcee:

From my experience as a Makeup Artist, primer doesn't control sweat.
So, how does one control sweat?
Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by touchofcee(f): 11:43am On Jul 15, 2015
InyinyaAgbaOku:

So, how does one control sweat?

Sweat can be controlled by applying makeup in a cool environment..

High fashion makeup artists have been known to make use of antiperspirant especially for stage performance.. Tho I honestly can't say how safe this is.
Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 11:47am On Jul 15, 2015
touchofcee:

Sweat can be controlled by applying makeup in a cool environment..

High fashion makeup artists have been known to make use of antiperspirant especially for stage performance.. Tho I honestly can't say how safe this is.
Thanks
Was talking about sweat from sun exposure
Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by touchofcee(f): 11:54am On Jul 15, 2015
The NEXT makeup must have is.. EYESHADOW.

Eyeshadows come in different forms and textures, the most common ones are : Matte, Sheer and Shimmery Eyeshadows.

Matte Eyeshadows are shadows without shine and are good for defining the crease and creating a base for shimmery Eyeshadows..

Shimmery Eyeshadows are usually pigmented, has lots of shine and are good for the upper eyelid, tearduct etc..

This cut-crease Makeup was created by me.. And is a perfect example of the different applications of shimmery and matte Eyeshadows.. While the shimmery shadows was used for the main eye color(the lid), the matte shadows were used for the crease and also as a transition color..

For details on how this look was achieved, check out my blog www.touchofcee.com

Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by maureensylvia(f): 10:43pm On Jul 15, 2015
pls how much is a makeover artist fee for bridal makeup?
Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by ceefort: 8:20am On Jul 16, 2015
Thanks a lot for this thread, it's been very enlightening. please advise me on a good eyeliner, hw much it cost nd it's application. I always find it difficult applyin mine as it'll always pour under my eyes and eventually ruin my make up. thanks
Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by Nobody: 8:47am On Jul 16, 2015
Rubyventures:
Also with brushes, it is better to invest in a very good one that will last you years and years and does not shed.
Brands such as Mac, real techniques, so ecco, elf etc and many more are very good and do not shed.

Especially real technique. Good stuff.
Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by Nobody: 9:14am On Jul 16, 2015
ceefort:
Thanks a lot for this thread, it's been very enlightening. please advise me on a good eyeliner, hw much it cost nd it's application. I always find it difficult applyin mine as it'll always pour under my eyes and eventually ruin my make up. thanks

Eye liner comes in different forms.
Pen liner, gel liner and liquid liner.

Liquid liner are the hardest to apply.

It takes practice to apply a liquid liner;
Don't tighten your hold on it, don't shake your hand, pull your skin and swipe it gently. When applying it on myself I prefer standing in front of a mirror - not holding a mirror so my hands don't shake and so I can pull my skin.

I would advice you get the pen liner. Its easier to use and good for stability.
Apply like this; close your eyes, pull the skin taut(ie just above the end of your eye and below the end of your brows).
Start close to the inner eye, and liner outwards.
Keep it close to your lash line.

I'll recommend sleek dip it for a liquid liner, its 1200naira.
For a pen liner, MAC Eye Kohl Smolder Eye Liner or zaron khol kajal (
800 naira)

1 Like

Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by Rubyventures: 9:19am On Jul 16, 2015
Joavid:

Especially real technique. Good stuff.

yes and they are not as expensive as the Mac ones, there is also the sigma ones.
Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by oluwadamilolah(f): 10:40am On Jul 16, 2015
I don't know much about makeup, but I admire ladies on good makeup.

Please recommend any good and affordable powder that'll last longer and gives a natural look.

What colour of eye pencil (for eye brow) should I get

Concealer, foundation or primer which one is most important for a smooth face? Thanks
Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by touchofcee(f): 11:14am On Jul 16, 2015
maureensylvia:
pls how much is a makeover artist fee for bridal makeup?

Pls call or whatsapp 08034997429. Let's discuss. Thanks
Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by touchofcee(f): 11:20am On Jul 16, 2015
ceefort:

Good eyeliner.. If you want LIQUID one, Zaron is a good brand and I recommend this cos the applicator lasts long.. 1500 or less

If you want a gel eyeliner then, Maybelline or Zaron are both good brands. 1500 or less.

To apply an eyeliner precisely, I recommend light short strokes (as if you are shading. Don't try to draw). Also let the tip process from your lower lash line and align with the end of your brows.. I will post a pic tutorial of this pretty soon. So pls stay tuned to this thread.
Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by touchofcee(f): 11:21am On Jul 16, 2015
touchofcee:

Good eyeliner.. If you want LIQUID one, Zaron is a good brand and I recommend this cos the applicator lasts long.. 1500 or less

If you want a gel eyeliner then, Maybelline or Zaron are both good brands. 1500 or less.

To apply an eyeliner precisely, I recommend light short strokes (as if you are shading. Don't try to draw). Also let the tip progress or start from your lower lash line and align with the end of your brows.. I will post a pic tutorial of this pretty soon. So pls stay tuned to this thread.
Re: MUST HAVES For A Makeup Artist (aspiring Makup Artists And PRO Makeup Artists) by touchofcee(f): 11:35am On Jul 16, 2015
[quote author=oluwadamilolah post=35922435]I don't know much about makeup, but I admire ladies on good makeup.
Please recommend any good and affordable powder that'll last longer and gives a natural look.
What colour of eye pencil (for eye brow) should I get
Concealer, foundation or primer which one is most important for a smooth face? Thanks
[/quote

Milani powder sells for about 1500 and Maybelline powder sells for 2k. They are both really good.
For brows, Brown pencils (deep brown) wch you can always blend/fade to suit your eyebrow color..
Foundation makes your face look flawless but then you need a good primer for the foundation to last all day.. Hope I answered your questions?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes / 14-Year-Old Nigerian Fashion Designer Debuts In London & Florida / My Startup - Jide Èkó Shoes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.