Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,036 members, 7,807,110 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:41 AM

Greece's Crisis 101 for dummies (only For Smart People) - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Greece's Crisis 101 for dummies (only For Smart People) (1511 Views)

Nigeria Seeks Foreign Investors For Smart Cities Project / Understand The Ideology Of Bitcoin (bitcoin for dummies) / For Smart Investors Only... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Greece's Crisis 101 for dummies (only For Smart People) by Rexphobia(m): 8:28pm On Jul 05, 2015
Long read, but it's worth it.

Greece really likes taking care of his family. Some of his cousins and his older relatives struggle to find work, others don't like to work, and plenty see themselves as "too old" to work. So Greece helps out by sending them some money [Pensions and Unemployment].

Greece's job doesn't cover all the money he spends on his family, So Greece got a credit card a long-time ago [National Debt].

Greece told himself that he could manage his credit card balances. His friends' credit cards have much higher balances, and they can make their payments without any troubles. But Greece ignores the obvious: his friends make a lot more money than he does, and their credit card companies think that they'll continue to make more money. So they get better interest rates [High Debt-to-GDP, High Interest Rates].

But--for a long time--things seemed alright. When Greece's credit card got too high he used a little accounting trick to say that he had more money than he did and he could make those high credit card payments. As long as he didn't do this everyday his credit card companies didn't mind too much [Printing Money to Fund Deficits].

Then Greece saw his friends set up a cool club. Their club made it easy it do business with each other and that made his friends and their families happy. Greece believed joining that club would make him feel important, but when his friends joined they gave up some of their autonomy. If they got into trouble with their credit cards they couldn't do those accounting tricks that Greece did [Eurozone and the Euro and Ceding Monetary Control to the ECB].

Still, Greece really wanted in. Deep down he knew that he had a problem and he needed to deal with it. Maybe he felt like an alcoholic. "If I join this club," he thought, "I can change my life for the better. I'll stop being so irresponsible with my money." To get into the club, Greece needed to show the other members that he wouldn't wreck their party if he joined. He made the case that they could trust him. He said: "here's all my financial information." He probably lied :/ Fact and Fiction in EU-Governmental Economic Data [Eurozone Reports].

The club let Greece in. He thought: "I've made it! I'm one of the best!" He needed to tighten his belt. He knew that. But his family still counted on him to pay their rent. The club didn't allow Greece to spend so much money above his income, but Greece did it anyway. He felt an obligation to support his family. Maybe--like an alcoholic--Greece thought: "Tomorrow I'll change." Always tomorrow. But Greece didn't change fast enough [Greece Continues to Rack Up Debt].

It didn't bother his club or his credit card companies too much at the time. When Greece got in trouble he just took out another credit card, and he used those new cards to charge the payments for his old cards [Issuing Debt to Make Debt Payments].

Greece lost his job. He found another, but it only paid about 75% of what his old job paid him. And that job didn't always pay him what he deserved [Economic Downturn and Tax Fraud].

Credit card companies got scared. The credit card companies' friends lent to other clients and got burned when some of those clients couldn't make their payments. They knew Greece struggled to get by, so they decided not to loan to him any more. Greece couldn't get another credit card to pay his old cards. How would he support his family? And how would he get a better job if he didn't have money to invest in himself?[2007-2010 Credit Crisis and Greece Gets Cut Off].

Greece's club, with another bigger club, stepped into help. They didn't want to see Greece fail; if he did it might hurt all of them. Greece owed some members of this club, and their families, a lot of money. So they lent Greece the cash he needed to stay afloat. But that didn't make a big, important member happy. The clubs, and this big member, made demands. The big ones? Greece needed to ensure he got paid what he was due, and Greece could no longer support all his family members [ECB and IMF Step In, Germany Doesn't Like It, Conditions on Loans].

Greece takes the money and now he can make his payments for another five years. But he doesn't cut his family off like the clubs told him to, and he can't stand up to his boss to get his rightful paycheck. Admittedly, Greece's family threatens to beat him up if he cuts them off. But still [Greece Doesn't Meet Terms of Loans].

Greece's club worries about him. They make sure that if he can't pay they won't hurt. They buy insurance in case Greece can't pay, and they sell off Greek debt to cousins with a taste for risk [European Banks Hedge Risk of Greek Default].

Payment time. The big club that helped Greece needs a payment. But Greece can't/won't make it. Greece can't bring himself to cut-off his family or ask his boss to stop cheating him. So he lets his family decide if he will obey the demands the club puts on Greece [Default on IMF and Announcement of Referendum on Austerity].

Source: http://www.quora.com/How-do-I-explain-Greeces-crisis-to-a-layman

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Greece's Crisis 101 for dummies (only For Smart People) by GogetterMD(m): 5:49am On Jul 06, 2015
good piece you have there. Followed the Greek crises when the cash crunch initially started, but didn't expect it would get this bad. Hope Nigeria doesn't head down the same lane
Re: Greece's Crisis 101 for dummies (only For Smart People) by TheRealAdonye(m): 6:26am On Jul 10, 2015
Brilliant piece..

I don't think it can be broken down further than this..

Here's hoping Athens gets back on its feet somehow.
At least Tsipras has the support of his people.
Re: Greece's Crisis 101 for dummies (only For Smart People) by jemype(m): 9:32am On Jul 10, 2015
lol. very. funny piece tho
Re: Greece's Crisis 101 for dummies (only For Smart People) by Shinatu: 3:47pm On Jul 10, 2015
Nice!
Re: Greece's Crisis 101 for dummies (only For Smart People) by sellydion: 5:27pm On Jul 10, 2015
Kudos to you. It is a classic case of how things can really get seriously bad.
Re: Greece's Crisis 101 for dummies (only For Smart People) by Adesiji77: 9:09pm On Jul 10, 2015
Nice
Re: Greece's Crisis 101 for dummies (only For Smart People) by Nobody: 9:43am On Jul 11, 2015
oga seun please look after my seat coz 'will be back' like the terminator. comments reserved till later lool.
Re: Greece's Crisis 101 for dummies (only For Smart People) by praemaise(m): 10:48pm On Jul 11, 2015
You really digged this!

So on point!

Sometimes, tough decisions must be made. You can't always please everyone. Even Family.

They say Blood is Thicker than water. But, on the other hand, Water is Wider than blood.
Re: Greece's Crisis 101 for dummies (only For Smart People) by danthamccoy(m): 11:49pm On Jul 11, 2015
This will actually confuse the average Nigerian more.
Re: Greece's Crisis 101 for dummies (only For Smart People) by honeric01(m): 7:48am On Jul 12, 2015
Summary

Lavish spending
Spending above your means
pleasing everyone no matter how inconvenient
Debt
using debt to pay debts
living a fake life
expecting others to solve your problem you caused yourself.

Lastly, trying to put yourself or make yourself feel among when you know your level.

learnt alot!
Re: Greece's Crisis 101 for dummies (only For Smart People) by Stycon(m): 11:56pm On Jul 12, 2015
That's what happens when such integration as this takes place. Ideally, fiscal side and monetary side of every economy should flow together as well as controlled centrally.

Joining the proverbial "club", it would have worked perfectly well if fiscal policy of members is also handled by the club and not just the monetary policy(ECB). As such, expenditure and revenue of members( e.g Greece) may be well coordinated.

Be it as it is, I don't think it's wise for Greece to exist club.

(1) (Reply)

Testimonies / Swiftrich.com New Paying Website (updates) / Luxury 4 Bedroom apartment With One Room En-suite Bq

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.