Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,557 members, 7,809,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:20 PM

Disregard ALL Messages On The Social Media About The NIV - Let's Discuss - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Disregard ALL Messages On The Social Media About The NIV - Let's Discuss (2262 Views)

Let's Discuss About Indecent Dressing To Church / Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? / Absolutely Shocking News About the NIV Bible! All Must Know! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Disregard ALL Messages On The Social Media About The NIV - Let's Discuss by Gombs(m): 10:34am On Jul 06, 2015
I got some troubling messages on my whatsapp about the NIV, I could not but wonder at the gullibility of some of us, and how some folks can use the social media to disseminate wrong information. see similar thread below

https://www.nairaland.com/2429689/see-why-may-stop-reading#35540783

Well, there are a list of Bible verses in the New Testament that are present in the King James Version (KJV) but absent from some Bible translations completed after the publication of The New Testament in the Original Greek in 1881 and the later Novum Testamentum Graece (first published in 1898 and revised many times since that date).

These editions of the Greek text took into account early manuscripts of the New Testament which had not been available to translators before the 19th century, notably those of the Alexandrian text-type .

The verses are present in the New King James Version , published in 1979, as well as the New American Standard Bible , though for most verses these translations include footnotes indicating doubts about their authenticity.

Most modern textual scholars consider these verses interpolations , or additions by later authors, but exceptions include advocates of the Byzantine or Majority Text and of the Received Text .

When a verse is omitted, later ones in the same chapter retain their traditional numbering. Apart from omitted entire verses, there are other omitted words and phrases in some modern translations such as the famous Comma Johanneum.

In particular these specific verses you quoted are not in the New International Version (NIV) main text. For some of the verses, there is a possible reasoning for "omission".

Note: In the New International Version, those verses are absent from the main text, but have been translated for inclusion in the footnotes(fn).

NIV is generally in agreement with the Nestle-Aland editions of the Greek New Testament which relegate such verses to the margin.

Update: The NIV2011 no longer has some of the verses that were included in footnotes in the 1984 and previous versions of the NIV.

For example
Matthew 17:21
KJV: Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.

NIVfn: But this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.

NIV2011fn: Some manuscripts include here words similar to Mark 9:29.

I think we ought to find out reasons for some things we do not understand, especially in the Bible.

Isn't it strange that Pastor Chris Oyakhilome, Pastor Kumuiyi, Pastor E. A. Adeboye etc still uses the NIV in their devotionals? We can't claim they were ignorant of the fact some texts were missing (used in footnotes)

As many that may have believed the message some of us help spread , for example, shredding their NIV, me thinks we need correct the error of that message. Some people will build an ideology about the NIV, whereas there was no need for it.

As for publishers, those guys are a publishing company, and can publish as much books as they like.

For example, LWPM publishes the ROR Bible, a KJV Bible... If LWPM suddenly starts publishing x rated books, will you call KJV devilish and blasphemous?

Let's be cautious... Not being babies tossed to and fro by every wind of doctrine.

Amen

Stop helping the devil spread his propaganda.

cc
Ishilove
Lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Disregard ALL Messages On The Social Media About The NIV - Let's Discuss by Oyinprince(m): 11:58am On Jul 06, 2015
Thank you sir, I also got the annoying messages.
The most annoying was the link someone sent yesterday
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Bible/NIV/niv-gay-satan.htm

1 Like

Re: Disregard ALL Messages On The Social Media About The NIV - Let's Discuss by Gombs(m): 1:14pm On Jul 06, 2015
Oyinprince:
Thank you sir, I also got the annoying messages.

The most annoying was the link someone sent yesterday

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Bible/NIV/niv-gay-satan.htm

foks sha grin grin

1 Like

Re: Disregard ALL Messages On The Social Media About The NIV - Let's Discuss by Ishilove: 8:58am On Jul 11, 2015
Phew!! That's a relief cheesy
Re: Disregard ALL Messages On The Social Media About The NIV - Let's Discuss by Jeromejnr(m): 9:17am On Jul 11, 2015
In this times the devil is really trying to wage war against the words of God.

And if you are not strong enough and firmly rooted, you will be part of the great apostacy that is said to happen at the end times.
Re: Disregard ALL Messages On The Social Media About The NIV - Let's Discuss by paxonel(m): 9:23am On Jul 11, 2015
infact, I never bothered to read such Messages, having seen the correlation between NIV and king james
Re: Disregard ALL Messages On The Social Media About The NIV - Let's Discuss by doofanc: 11:48am On Jul 11, 2015
No be small thing. There are no less than five threads this week alone on the issue. But you should understand why its causing such a storm.

Many anchor their faith on the Biblical inerrancy. God cannot lie, so His Word must be, and is, completely true. Indeed, God breathed His sacred Words to the original authors and what they wrote was totally true to the last dot.

However, much of those manuscripts - the NT in particular - are no longer available. What we have are manually transcribed versions some of which, many scholars believe, contain interpolations - wilful/inadvertent additions by scribes.

Thus while the original texts contained the infallible Word of God, the same cannot be said of the various translations, notably the greek NT, even in the KJV.

I understand that to the average Christian, the mere thought that God's divinely inspired Word has been tampered with causes the nape hair to stand. It raises disconcerting questions. If the Bible I'm holding contains things not said by God, how then can we trust any part of it??

Gladly, a lot of brilliant Bible scholars Willaim Craig, etc, have done justice to the issue. I also read an article on translation process , posted by Oladegbu some time back, and it made a lot of sense.

Those behind the recent attempts to discredit NIV are either totally ignorant of Biblical translation/transliteration process or actually have malicious intent: why the focus on NIV btw? A lot of other contemporary versions also exclude some of those verses seen in KJV.

As Craig puts it, it doesn't mean every word in our translated Bibles are true, it means the message is true. Whether KJV, or NIV, or NLT, all of which I use, the central message remains clear and unambiguous: Christ is the risen King. Those who believe in Him and repent of their ways will be saved. Shalom!
Re: Disregard ALL Messages On The Social Media About The NIV - Let's Discuss by MrPresident1: 12:35pm On Jul 11, 2015
Ishilove:
Phew!! That's a relief cheesy

Ishi, there is no relief yet, we have been shouting about the authenticity of latter day Bible translations and the motives for their production and circulation for a while now, hopefully a few more people will do their own research and get to their own conclusions, everyone will not see it yet, but blessed is the one who is able to make the connection, because it is the first step out of slavery.

The NIV Bible is heavily doctored and compromised, is it when they publish the gay Bible that my people will wake up from their slumber? It may just be too late by then.

The Bible is written in figurative language; deep allegories, metaphors, etc. It was never meant to be literal, or literal interpretations are the very first steps, remember Paul warned about the dichotomy of milk and milk and the Proverbs tell us about understanding the dark sayings of old.

The NIV compromised Bible in its fake and dubious attempt to make the Bible literal (purportedltyto make it easier to understand) has heavily doctored and watered the Holy Scriptures to suit an evil agenda, this is a very serious attempt to hide the truth of God's nature, and it is a direct attack against God.

See how the KJV and NIV renders this verse:

Isaiah 45:1 KJV
Thus saith the LORD to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I have holden, to subdue nations before him; and I will loose the loins of kings, to open before him the two leaved gates; and the gates shall not be shut;

Isaiah 45:1-7New International Version (NIV)
45 “This is what the Lord says to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I take hold of to subdue nations before him and to strip kings of their armor, to open doors before him so that gates will not be shut:

Look at how KJV renders the verse, pay close attention I know you are very good with English, you will realise that 'loosening the loins of kings, and opening the two leaved gates' is figurative language for the effect of fear that now causes one to lose control over ones bowels. God is telling Cyrus that He will put Cyrus' fear in the nations he would subdue.

Now compare with the rubbish NIV has interpreted. This is one of many.

Daniel told us that the wise will understand.

1 Like

Re: Disregard ALL Messages On The Social Media About The NIV - Let's Discuss by Ishilove: 12:47pm On Jul 11, 2015
MrPresident1:

Ishi, there is no relief yet, we have been shouting about the authenticity of latter day Bible translations and the motives for their production and circulation for a while now, hopefully a few more people will do their own research and get to their own conclusions, everyone will not see it yet, but blessed is the one who is able to make the connection, because it is the first step out of slavery.

The NIV Bible is heavily doctored and compromised, is it when they publish the gay Bible that my people will wake up from their slumber? It may just be too late by then.

The Bible is written in figurative language; deep allegories, metaphors, etc. It was never meant to be literal, or literal interpretations are the very first steps, remember Paul warned about the dichotomy of milk and milk and the Proverbs tell us about understanding the dark sayings of old.

The NIV compromised Bible in its fake and dubious attempt to make the Bible literal (purportedltyto make it easier to understand) has heavily doctored and watered the Holy Scriptures to suit an evil agenda, this is a very serious attempt to hide the truth of God's nature, and it is a direct attack against God.

Thus saith the LORD to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I have holden, to subdue nations before him; and I will loose the loins of kings, to open before him the two leaved gates; and the gates shall not be shut;

45 “This is what the Lord says to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I take hold of to subdue nations before him and to strip kings of their armor, to open doors before him so that gates will not be shut:

Look at how KJV renders the verse, pay close attention I know you are very good with English, you will realise that 'loosening the loins of kings, and opening the two leaved gates' is figurative language for the effect of fear that now causes one to lose control over ones bowels. God is telling Cyrus that He will put Cyrus' fear in the nations he would subdue.

Deep...
Re: Disregard ALL Messages On The Social Media About The NIV - Let's Discuss by doofanc: 6:13pm On Jul 11, 2015
MrPresident1:

How do you know KJV is the right one, and NIV is wrong? Hope you are aware they were both translated by humans like you and I. Or do you have access to the original manuscripts?
Re: Disregard ALL Messages On The Social Media About The NIV - Let's Discuss by MrPresident1: 1:40am On Jul 13, 2015
doofanc:

How do you know KJV is the right one, and NIV is wrong? Hope you are aware they were both translated by humans like you and I. Or do you have access to the original manuscripts?

The KJV gives the whole, wholesome, and holistic picture of the Holy Scriptures. New translations like the NIV are made to keep the truth away from the real owners and writers of the Bible who lost their relationship with God, or God hid himself from them because of their refusal to repent. By hiding Himself from them, they became fearful, spineless, and useless, see if the true light of the Holy Scriptures does not shine through to them, they will continue to be in slavery.

[b]Isaiah 1:3
3 The ox knoweth his owner, and the ass his master's crib: but Israel doth not know, my people doth not consider.
4 Ah sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, a seed of evildoers, children that are corrupters: they have forsaken the LORD, they have provoked the Holy One of Israel unto anger, they are gone away backward.

Isaiah 42:24-25
Who gave Jacob for a spoil, and Israel to the robbers? did not the LORD, he against whom we have sinned? for they would not walk in his ways, neither were they obedient unto his law.
25 Therefore he hath poured upon him the fury of his anger, and the strength of battle: and it hath set him on fire round about, yet he knew not; and it burned him, yet he laid it not to heart.

Deuteronomy 4:30
When thou art in tribulation, and all these things are come upon thee, even in the latter days, if thou turn to the LORD thy God, and shalt be obedient unto his voice;

Mathew 24:29
Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

Daniel 12:10
Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand.
[/b]

We are in the tribulations, and they are ending, this is why the truth is leaching out.

PS
Try to link up these verses in NIV to see if they can create a picture

cc: Ishilove
Re: Disregard ALL Messages On The Social Media About The NIV - Let's Discuss by MrPresident1: 2:59am On Jul 13, 2015
How can we even turn to God when we don't even know that he is the one punishing us? How can we repent when we do not know that the fire that is burning us is from The Lord Himself?

Our enemies and slave masters would have us continue in ignorance, if we remain in ignorance, their kingdom continues forever, if we wake up, it is gameover!

But it is game over already because getting to understand the real truth is the sign of the end, of forgiveness and regathering.

Isaiah 43:1, 5-7
1 But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine.
5 Fear not: for I am with thee: I will bring thy seed from the east, and gather thee from the west;
6 I will say to the north, Give up; and to the south, Keep not back: bring my sons from far, and my daughters from the ends of the earth;
7 Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.
8 Bring forth the blind people that have eyes, and the deaf that have ears.
Re: Disregard ALL Messages On The Social Media About The NIV - Let's Discuss by Gombs(m): 8:10am On Jul 13, 2015
^^ Stop telling us what you think. Thanks
Re: Disregard ALL Messages On The Social Media About The NIV - Let's Discuss by MrPresident1: 11:10am On Jul 13, 2015
Gombs:
^^
Stop telling us what you think. Thanks

Proverbs 1:20-22
20 Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets:
21 She crieth in the chief place of concourse, in the openings of the gates: in the city she uttereth her words, saying,
22 How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?

Nairaland is a chief place of concourse, wisdom cries out to you therefrom wink

(1) (Reply)

Am I Allowed To Brush My Teeth While Fasting ? / South Africans Bash Julius Malema For Mourning Pastor TB Joshua (PIX) / What Is Sin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.