Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,987 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:34 PM

Sango Olukoso - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Sango Olukoso (50197 Views)

Alaafin Of Oyo Dances At World Sango Festival Day Celebration (Photos) / History 101- Who Was Sango (oba Koso) / Photos From The 2015 Sango Festival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sango Olukoso by KingSango(m): 3:17pm On Apr 29, 2016
KingSango:

As is usual with the founders of ancient civilisations, there is much controversy about the history of Odudua (also Oòdua, Oduduwa, Obarisa or Olofin Adimula). This post only presents the history as reported by trustworthy sources – we make no claim to present any final opinion on this matter.

As discussed in our earlier post (The Yoruba – KMT Connection), there are many similarities between the Yoruba culture and that of the Nile Valley states. One often ignored area of similarity is in the personalities of Ausar and Odudua.
The Kemetic creation myth states that Ausar is the son of Geb and Nut, (these deities represent the earth and the sky respectively). Ausar later became ruler of Kemet and introduced agriculture, law (by inference a system of rulership) to the people of Kemet. According to The Golden Bough by Sir James Frazier, “Osiris [Ausar] reclaimed the Egyptians from savagery, gave them laws, and taught them the worship of the gods”.

Similarly, Odudua is attributed divine origins and is said to have descended from the sky on a golden chain. He subsequently founded the Yoruba Kingdom and introduced a system of rulership. Another version of Odudua’s history has it that, coming from the east (most likely the Nile Valle states), “They [Odudua and his people] came to Ile-Ife and fought and conquered the pre-existing Igbo (unrelated to the present Igbo) inhabitants led by Oreluere (Obatala).”

According to information made available on RaceandHistory.com by Olomu and Eyebira, in Kemet the word ‘Dudu’ was used to describe the black image of Ausar (who also went by the title ‘Lord of the Perfect Black’). In the Yoruba language, Dudu means black or a black person. A.B Ellis in his book ‘The Yoruba –Speaking Peoples of the Slave Coast of West Africa’ wrote that Odudua literally meant “Black One” (Although he erroneously described Odudua as a female deity). An article by the Olokun Festival Foundation provides a different meaning of Odudua, the post stated thus “Oduduwa means Odu to da iwa i.e how to behave”. The emblematic nature of this name points to the divine origins of Odudua and gives us a hint of the prime position Odudua occupies in Yoruba culture.

This connection between the names and accomplishments of Ausar and Odudua supports the tale of the Nile Valley origin of Odudua. The story states that Odudua led a migration of Yoruba people westwards from the Nile Valley (presumably from Kemet, Nubia or Cush). According to the post on RaceandHistory.com cited earlier, this migrating population settled at illushi and around Asaba. It is generally agreed that the migrating Yoruba people met a pre-existing civilisation at Ile-Ife - this group would later be conquered and integrated into the Yoruba kingdom.

This is not my words but I arrived at this conclusion a few years ago. But when you read Dr. Chancellor Williams, "The Destruction of Black Civilization", the Doctors states that, rather dishearteningly, Black East Africans fled from Kemet after centuries of invasions, hijacking of their cultures, seizing of their seaport cities, and just a host of non-compatible lifestyles practiced by the invaders and the treacherous mulatto classes that rose up. Dr. Williams believed that the migration away from the seaports was a death for Africa as they lost international trade and commerce which hurt their economies. But I believe it was divined that they should move away and join their brothers and sisters in the West and one day rise again. As the sun shines in the East, one day it will shine in the West. We are highly anticipating the rise of Africa again from the West, especially from Nigeria and Benin. Our Alase, Oba Adefunmi I, combined the two cultures of Oyo and Dahomey so that that feuding could end. At Oyotunji African Village, priests and priestesses are initiated in both traditions of Ifa and Voodoo, also we have the Ogboni council. His Royal Majesty, Alase Oba Adefunmi , predicted or actually knew, like I've know, that Oyo and Dahomey are two empires that descend from Oduduwa would rise again. We are firm supporters in the West of the rise of Oyo and Oduduwa Nation.

What Nigeria suffers from is colonialism, the oppression of Islam and the clash of opposite cultures. And the fact that African traditional religion is not the state official religion means that Nigeria is not a religious free state. African traditional religion came first and holds precedence over all other religions in the region. The fact that it doesn't is oppression. And the flocking away from traditions by Yorubas is a sign that something must be done urgently. But there is confusion because some want to hold unto the Islamic notion, that Oduduwa came from Mecca, and that Yorubas are Arabs. This kind of thinking is self hatred. How come you want to be somebody else? Have you ever been to Cairo and seen the Pyramids? The pyramids are so magnificent it makes you know right away these people were Gods. There's no culture that is more highlighted, that Yorubas can claim descend from, that is greater than Kemet. To strip Oduduwa away from Mother Africa and put the Orisa in Mecca is a serious slight. I would rather call it a grave insult. Because we are not only trying to unite Yoruba and Dahomey but other Africans like the Hausa, the Napa, the Cameroon and others who migrated from Kemet. Any other promotion kills our efforts towards African Renaissance. Yorubas aren't the only one who migrated during that very frustrating period for our ancestors. Also by relating Oduduwa to Queen Shebah and Kush unites West Africa back to East Africa. It encourages dialogue and unity across the continent. I don't give a damn about Mecca or anywhere else outside of the Motherland. Just raising the Motherland up is hard enough, than to add on more, dead weight, that wouldn't unite all our people. Islam doesn't compare to Ifa and mostly certainly isn't to be mentioned with Ogboni.

I am done here. If you get anything out of this then that's good but this topic is nowhere.

Love, Sango.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sango Olukoso by Nobody: 3:21pm On Apr 29, 2016
Ugbo not Igbo.

Ugbo is just a section of Ife not the occupants of the entire Ife.

Obatala is Obarisa not Oduduwa.

Oreluere was a powerful figure who ruled one of the 13 sections of Ife while Obatala ruled his - they are two different people occupying two different sections of Ile Ife back then and now.
Re: Sango Olukoso by Nobody: 3:27pm On Apr 29, 2016
KingSango

Permit me to throw a spanner in the wheel if your posts.

The premise of yojr Oduduwa is based on Egypt/Kemet.

Now, have you done your own independent research of history and anthropology on Egypt or you're regurgitating the details of the research the white folks did?

Africans in Africa and in the Diaspora brandish Egypt to much and use it as a launching pad for a lot of argument but forget the white men did the research they're throwing around which could be false or made up (or possibly true).

You seem to know a lot about Egypt, I would like to know your source(s) if that is OK.

No disrespect to you and your intellectual muscle sir.

2 Likes

Re: Sango Olukoso by KingSango(m): 3:33pm On Apr 29, 2016
KingSango:

This is not my words but I arrived at this conclusion a few years ago. But when you read Dr. Chancellor Williams, "The Destruction of Black Civilization", the Doctors states that, rather dishearteningly, Black East Africans fled from Kemet after centuries of invasions, hijacking of their cultures, seizing of their seaport cities, and just a host of non-compatible lifestyles practiced by the invaders and the treacherous mulatto classes that rose up. Dr. Williams believed that the migration away from the seaports was a death for Africa as they lost international trade and commerce which hurt their economies. But I believe it was divined that they should move away and join their brothers and sisters in the West and one day rise again. As the sun shines in the East, one day it will shine in the West. We are highly anticipating the rise of Africa again from the West, especially from Nigeria and Benin. Our Alase, Oba Adefunmi I, combined the two cultures of Oyo and Dahomey so that that feuding could end. At Oyotunji African Village, priests and priestesses are initiated in both traditions of Ifa and Voodoo, also we have the Ogboni council. His Royal Majesty, Alase Oba Adefunmi , predicted or actually knew, like I've know, that Oyo and Dahomey are two empires that descend from Oduduwa would rise again. We are firm supporters in the West of the rise of Oyo and Oduduwa Nation.

What Nigeria suffers from is colonialism, the oppression of Islam and the clash of opposite cultures. And the fact that African traditional religion is not the state official religion means that Nigeria is not a religious free state. African traditional religion came first and holds precedence over all other religions in the region. The fact that it doesn't is oppression. And the flocking away from traditions by Yorubas is a sign that something must be done urgently. But there is confusion because some want to hold unto the Islamic notion, that Oduduwa came from Mecca, and that Yorubas are Arabs. This kind of thinking is self hatred. How come you want to be somebody else? Have you ever been to Cairo and seen the Pyramids? The pyramids are so magnificent it makes you know right away these people were Gods. There's no culture that is more highlighted, that Yorubas can claim descend from, that is greater than Kemet. To strip Oduduwa away from Mother Africa and put the Orisa in Mecca is a serious slight. I would rather call it a grave insult. Because we are not only trying to unite Yoruba and Dahomey but other Africans like the Hausa, the Napa, the Cameroon and others who migrated from Kemet. Any other promotion kills our efforts towards African Renaissance. Yorubas aren't the only one who migrated during that very frustrating period for our ancestors. Also by relating Oduduwa to Queen Shebah and Kush unites West Africa back to East Africa. It encourages dialogue and unity across the continent. I don't give a damn about Mecca or anywhere else outside of the Motherland. Just raising the Motherland up is hard enough, than to add on more, dead weight, that wouldn't unite all our people. Islam doesn't compare to Ifa and mostly certainly isn't to be mentioned with Ogboni.

I am done here. If you get anything out of this then that's good but this topic is nowhere.

Love, Sango.

Here's another crazy theory that turns Oduduwa into Nimrod and Hebrews. I guess this is being promoted by Christian Yorubas. There's no proof whatsoever of the Bible canons. None of the prophets have any distinct writings or books that can be examined as truly authentic. The only ancient writings that can be confirmed, which are 10,000 years old, is the history of Nile Valley Kings that is carved in stone. The Bible's entire history is only about 4000 years old, hardly enough for African civilization, let alone plausible theory. Much of this nonsense is done to promote Christian faith among Yorubas and tear down traditional African religion. Its a shame this type of stuff which came with the Missionaries is still being thrusted upon our dear people's hearts and minds.

But here it is:

Homepage About KTravula.com Books Press, Works & Publications Submit A Guest Post #TweetYoruba RSS Feeds
ktravula – a travelogue!
art. language. travel
So Where Are We From Then?
(Photo credit: RAJESH JANTILAL/AFP/Getty Images)The most famous story about the origin of the Yoruba people is that we all descended from one man called Oduduwa. It is also the most misleading of stories because the man called Oduduwa who was said to have come from a place called Mecca (or, as historians have agreed, somewhere in the Middle East) most possibly found some indigenous people already living in the area now called Yorubaland when he landed with his travelling party from Mecca, and could not have been the sole progenitor of the now over thirty million people. In any case, he was said to have had only one son, who later had seven. So, for all intent and purposes, it was a conquest, kind of like the Founding Fathers arriving on the American continent from Europe, or Christopher Columbus “discovering” America after a long ride on the ocean, or Mungo Park “discovering” the Niger river. If that is the case, then when as citizens we use the now famous self reference “Omo Oduduwa” to refer to ourselves, we engage in a kind of deceit, or self-disservice, or at least a subservient acceptance of the prehistoric conquest. The verifiable children of the man Oduduwa were the original seven kings who descended from his son Okanbi, and their own living descendants who now occupy the kingship thrones in Oyo, Benin, Popo, Sabe, Ife and two other Yoruba towns. That said, we are all Yorubas, just like the occupants of Britain are now all Brits, not Normans, or Romans, or Celts just because they were once occupied by those forces.

Image from http://www.agalu.com/biography.htmlBut where did we come from, the Yorubas? Going by the Oduduwa story, we (at least those Yoruba citizens that have “royal” blood) are all descendants of Oduduwa, who in turn is a descendant of Lamurudu. Lamurudu interestingly is the Yoruba’s corruption of the name Nimrod from the bible, according to the Reverend Johnson in his book The History of the Yoruba. So there it is! We’re confirmed descendants of the Jews. Yet history does not rule out the possibility that Lamurudu/Nimrod was not even the immediate ancestor of the man Oduduwa, or that Oduduwa himself was not the immediate ancestor of Okanbi, so it is fair to take liberties with the fact. It is possible, almost certain by these accounts, that we were descendants of Nimrod the son of Cush, grandson of Ham, great-grandson of Noah. Now, even to me, that’s far removed. Why? Because Nimrod’s personality has never been fully established, and every once powerful civilization from Egypt to Greece to Jewish cultures have their own written perception of him that are not always complimentary.

Image from http://obatalashrine.org/000004.phpSo where did we come from then? A literal mecca? Quite possibly. The islamic civilization has it recorded that many years before/after Mohammed the prophet, many so called idolators were expelled from the city into the world outside. The man Oduduwa and his entourage who later settled South West of the Niger river were believed to have arrived there not only with magic and graven images (which were markers of idolatory for which they were said to have been expelled from the religious middle eastern city in the first place), they also came with peculiar forms of dressing, communication and way of life that marks them as from that part of the world. They worshipped man-made gods, they made sacrifices to them through priests, they wore long robes, greeted each other in a particular way, and their women covered their heads as part of their cultural identity. The staff of Oranmiyan in Ile-Ife today still has the words “Oranmiyan” engraved on it in Jewish letters, and it was erected before the coming of the Europeans to that side of the world. Have you ever wondered why the Yorubas name their children on the eighth day of the birth of the child? I have. Could it be, as suggested to my surprise by an American student in my Yoruba class on Wednesday, that we are following the tradition of the old Hebrews who always circumcised their children on the eight day after birth, as ordained by their God? I don’t know, but I won’t bet against it. There is so much that I don’t know, that I wish I knew. There is so much more we need to know about ourselves.

The real wonder for me is where we are from, we Yorubas who are not descendants of kings or the patriarch Oduduwa. Any takers?
Re: Sango Olukoso by KingSango(m): 3:50pm On Apr 29, 2016
9jacrip:
KingSango

Permit me to throw a spanner in the wheel if your posts.

The premise of yojr Oduduwa is based on Egypt/Kemet.

Now, have you done your own independent research of history and anthropology on Egypt or you're regurgitating the details of the research the white folks did?

Africans in Africa and in the Diaspora brandish Egypt to much and use it as a launching pad for a lot of argument but forget the white men did the research they're throwing around which could be false or made up (or possibly true).

You seem to know a lot about Egypt, I would like to know your source(s) if that is OK.

No disrespect to you and your intellectual muscle sir.

We don't go by what Whites say here in our Pan African movement. We follow African scholars purely like Dr. Cheikh Diop who was Senegalese. Dr. Diop stated firmly that Africa's early civilization was Sudan/Kush. Here's another story claiming Oduduwa left Mecca and settled in Sudan before going to Nigeria. That's alot of traveling, but whatever. I believe that Kushite Empire did extend up into Babylon but that was long before B.C.

King, Oduduwa II, Gogobiri, Kukawa, Kola-nuts, Orunmila
Benin KingKola-nut
The world's first religious principles are written by the Kushite, King 'Ori' (right & wrong). However taken from Ifa Sacred Poems was a story about "Ori" (head) the king of the body. Ori (head) was the only divinity that broke the kola nuts that Orunmila kept at his shrine. Ori's wish was for a permanent abode (home) and plenty of followers.

Upon hearing the news of the finally broken Kola-nuts, all the other divinities agreed, (since they all tried to break the nuts) that the "Head" was the right divinity to the Kola-nuts. Almost immediately the hand, feet, body, stomach, chest, neck etc, each of which before then had distinct identities, all assembled and decided to go and live with the Head. Together, they all carried the Head high above as the king of the body. It is on account of the role-played by Orunmila in his fortune that the head touches the ground to defer and revere to Orunmila to this day. 'The Jewish Talmud', also contains oblique references to the story, as well the New Testament where Sheba is referred to as "The Queen of the South."

There is, in addition, a fairly detailed account in the Koran, echoed in several Arabic and Persian folk tales of later date, (in which she is known as Bilqis). Further afield, in southern enigmatic stone ruins of Great Zimbabwe are said by the local Mashona people to have been the palace of the Queen of Sheba, and tribal elders still repeat their own fully evolved version of the legend. In addition, the Yoruba of West Africa also claimed to have the Staff of Queen of Sheeba in Ile Ife. A man called Lamurudu, at that time, introduced Yoruba to Mecca it was not known as Yoruba, just as Idolatry or Polytheism. One of the offspring of Lamurudu was Oduduwa II, was also alleged to have been King of Gogobiri and Kukawa, which are tribes in Country.
Arabian Map
The Hausa Were the Yoruba Muslims at that time. They spoke Yoruba language and Aramic type Script. They later develop their own unique language Called Hausa, still been spoken today.

In the fifth century Mecca was the world trade centre. The Yorubas and others, who were considered polytheist, were permitted to practice their religion, having migrated a few thousand years before and being the natives of that time.

They were called Sabeans and Nabateans. Others worshipped the stone deities, of the Moon God, Allat, his wife and family of daughters. 360 Gods were in The Ka'aba. This was before the time of Muhammad. Oduduwa was alleged to be the heir to the throne of Mecca. He went back to the religion of his forefathers during the reign of his father Lamurudu. They decided to bring their people back to the worship of their Ancestors. So, one night, Asara, a Lamurudu priest was ordered to put idols in The Ka'aba, which at that time was attributed to one Deity, Allat.

However because Asara's son was a monotheist he was unable to bear the thought of idols residing in the Ka'aba, so he destroyed it. This unitary action brought about civil war, between the polytheists and monotheists. The monotheists were victorious, King Lamurudu was killed, and his children were expelled from Mecca, Oduduwa Ventured northwest, from Arabia toward modern day Sudan. It was during the seventh century B.C.E. that the Sabean rulers became known as Mukarribs (priest-kings).

That is why you will find Yoruba practices and customs under different names, in modern day Sudan. One of the deities of Sudan is Ngkola, the brother of Tere the God of life. He bestowed life on human beings by breathing life into them. In fact the Yoruba name for Ngkola, is Olorun (Olo) 'owner' of the (Orun) 'sky', (Orun) 'sun', (Oru) 'heat'. Nzeanzo and Tsoede were known as the God of Blacksmiths, the God of rain and builders. The Yoruba name for Nzeanzo and Tsoede is Ogun the God of war and Blacksmiths.
Re: Sango Olukoso by Ralfoosha: 6:06pm On Sep 20, 2016
I've been reading lots of interesting post here which made me deviate from my purpose here. Obviously, it's captivating to read.
I'm a filmmaker and I intend to shoot a short film based on ogun the god of iron. The purpose is to praise African heros, encourage our culture and preach qualities that can be emulated from these superheros. It's no gainsaying that, our stories have been taken by Hollywood studios to be monetized and yet with no due acknowledgment. DC comic and Marvel are culprits here; and instead of folding our hands, I decide to tell our stories in a dramatic, sci-fi and 21st century age.

I just wanted to find out if there were any relationship and encounters at any point between Ogun and Sango, so I can complete my script without leaving significant dent to our culture. Thanks guys.
Re: Sango Olukoso by macof(m): 7:18pm On Sep 21, 2016
Ralfoosha:
I've been reading lots of interesting post here which made me deviate from my purpose here. Obviously, it's captivating to read.
I'm a filmmaker and I intend to shoot a short film based on ogun the god of iron. The purpose is to praise African heros, encourage our culture and preach qualities that can be emulated from these superheros. It's no gainsaying that, our stories have been taken by Hollywood studios to be monetized and yet with no due acknowledgment. DC comic and Marvel are culprits here; and instead of folding our hands, I decide to tell our stories in a dramatic, sci-fi and 21st century age.

I just wanted to find out if there were any relationship and encounters at any point between Ogun and Sango, so I can complete my script without leaving significant dent to our culture. Thanks guys.

some say Oya was Ogun's wife before she left him for Sango

I don't know but I doubt Ogun is involved here. ..But then again, that name "ogun" has been carried by many men

you might need to take further research

1 Like

Re: Sango Olukoso by Alhajipablo(m): 6:11pm On Sep 22, 2016
What if all these oguns,Sangos and Oyas were just allegories. I.e what if they never really existed in the physical realm.
Re: Sango Olukoso by macof(m): 10:44am On Sep 23, 2016
Alhajipablo:
What if all these oguns,Sangos and Oyas were just allegories. I.e what if they never really existed in the physical realm.

in some ways yea ...those names have been applied to allegories and personifications

but People with those names existed. . they are true yoruba ancestors
Re: Sango Olukoso by Emilokoiyawon: 5:46pm On Sep 24, 2016
GREAT SANGO - I BOW

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sango Olukoso by KingSango(m): 3:13pm On Sep 25, 2016
macof:

in some ways yea ...those names have been applied to allegories and personifications

but People with those names existed. . they are true yoruba ancestors

Sure all those persons were ancestors, they were royal ancestors, Sango, Oya, Oshun, Oba, Oduduwa, and Obatala. But let's be honest, the only people who are debunking and destroying the credibility of African history and spirituality presently, these are Christian Freemasons and Islamic Extremists. These are cults of greed, seeking greater power via corruption and chaos theory. Look at the cults that have risen in Nigeria, which are responsible for the instability, the overt violence; kidnappings, ritual sacrifices, corruptions, home robberies, and just environment of fear, these are all a product of cults in the government. But look everywhere in Africa, every African nations, all except Benin Republic, is dominated by Christian Freemasons and Islamic Freemasons. Freemasonry, despite it being shared knowledge from the world over, especially from Egypt, most of it is stolen knowledge, some of it is knowledge the Moors taught Europeans during the reign of the Moors. Yet people in Freemasonry aren't into the lodge because of seeking of Illumination but for greed, corruption and fulfilling of sick lusts. These people are starting these college cults at universities, where they go on to become high persons in the societies of Africa. They are dominating the economic infrastructure built by the European colonizers. And these cults are causing chaos in African nations, used to be the militaries in Africa started coups and brought violence. But now this is being done by cults to further instability in Africa and keep the resources away from the traditional order of Africa. The cults have even infiltrated the Ogboni, which was originally land owners, stake holders, they have turned the Ogboni into a cult of greed, power and corruption. They are using the Ogboni to shield themselves from punishment while they are destroying African civilization and its people. Until we deal with this cancer from within committed by our brothers and sisters in these cults we will never destroy this problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9jaiJJbKd8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIEMtT2Bv6k

We are having the same issue here in the States, U.S. Troubles with demonic cults that have their start at Universities. These cults are what is causing the rise of homosexuality and sexual insanity at every cultural level. These are all Christian based cults, nearly all these people will tell you that they are true Christians. Also they are Freemasons, because it was Freemasons who started these college cults and continue to run them.

Check my blog here: http://theriseofsodom..com/2016/04/devil-worship-witchcraft-and-sodomy.html

Love, Sango.
Re: Sango Olukoso by juman(m): 1:07am On Dec 15, 2016
Hmmmm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

If You Are From EDO STATE, Represent The HeartBeat of the Nation / Man Puts Python In His Mouth In Osun State (Photos) / I Want To Learn Some Yoruba Basic Words And Phrases

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.