Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,764 members, 7,806,090 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:16 AM

Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? (21393 Views)

ICAN release the result of Nov 2016 diet result / lo / Choosing Between Acca And Ican (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by Fadelex(m): 4:02pm On Jul 08, 2015
it's very possible, I work in abuja, just finished my postgraduate prog in Abu zaria and at d same time doing my professional exams (NIOB). since funding isn't gonna be a problem I believe it's achievable
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by ERONX(m): 4:02pm On Jul 08, 2015
if you got Albert Eistern's brain then it's certainly possible.
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by elohorayodele: 4:03pm On Jul 08, 2015
adonbilivit:
I am considering doing my masters and enrolling for masters and concurrently work. my dad is going to sponsor me all the way but my problem is if I would be able to cope. the university I am considering is far from my residence/place of work; about 120km away. I know there are experienced folks here.

Help please. I don't want to end up frustrated.

what field is your Msc in?
e no easy, am doing ACCA and working full time. Hard to cope, if you add masters on top na die be that except the masters is in finance
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by Segadem(m): 4:04pm On Jul 08, 2015
The FTC has said it all.
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by Boss13: 4:08pm On Jul 08, 2015
elohorayodele:
e no easy, am doing ACCA and working full time. Hard to cope, if you add masters on top na die be that except the masters is in finance

ACCA no be ICAN. You can cram ICAN past questions and be sure of passing.

@ Poster, what you are about to do is not easy but it is also possible. I will advise you to focus on ICAN which is more appreciable than a masters, then commence your masters. However, if you feel you can cope with this lagos traffic that sucks 50% efficiency rate out of a man, then more power to your elbow.

1 Like

Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by Lennylinconlee(m): 4:11pm On Jul 08, 2015
candid advice.......its indeed a good idea you have...but see this:
1. since your Dad is there to fuel the bill for MSC then it den means your current job is not that Big enough...then drop it to face MSC
2. ICAN is nt as easy as you think you can combine Msc with it.....its Headache on its own....only if u have the ability to combine Msc with ICAN but not with work.....
3. Your career pursue also matter...if u are the type that want to become Lecturer...Then Msc is very important ...pursue it to the final
4. Be sincere to your self by go for the one you can easily cope with and thereafter take the next.
5. Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by adonbilivit: 4:13pm On Jul 08, 2015
elohorayodele:

what field is your Msc in?
MSC accounting
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by dominicson: 4:13pm On Jul 08, 2015
My own type of brain, like many other people's, perform best under this circumstance. I can't actually say you are good to go, but if you think you can, there are many advantages: one, except change, everything is subject to change(s), even the all-round financial privilege you have at the moment. Two, running ICAN program concurrently with Master can help you perform brilliantly in the latter if you are going for accounting, finance or any business or management related course in your master program. Three, people will understand you if you tell them you don't have time for frivolities!
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by adonbilivit: 4:14pm On Jul 08, 2015
elohorayodele:
its in accounting
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by elohorayodele: 4:15pm On Jul 08, 2015
adonbilivit:
MSC accounting

Very doable, pls go ahead with it. its related to your ICAN and all/some of your ICAN courses are related to the MSc.

Both of them are so related that some universities in the UK award a six months MSc for fully chartered accountants eg BPP

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jul 08, 2015
Work+ICAN=Difficult but possible

Work+Masters=Stressful but possible

Masters+ICAN=difficult & stressful, but possible

Work+Masters+ICAN=Suicidal angry angry

Trust me, I've been in each of the situations mentioned above. If you want to learn about my story, indicate interest, and I'll tell it.

2 Likes

Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by fanex: 4:21pm On Jul 08, 2015
whats with the rush?

better enjoy your life whilst you are young. ICAN is however a major course so its possible to do other things whilst taking the it.

you will be frustrated no doubt but it possible if you are absolutely lifeless

adonbilivit:
I am considering doing my masters and enrolling for masters and concurrently work. my dad is going to sponsor me all the way but my problem is if I would be able to cope. the university I am considering is far from my residence/place of work; about 120km away. I know there are experienced folks here.

Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by Exodusontop(m): 4:23pm On Jul 08, 2015
GrammarNazi:
Work+ICAN=Difficult but possible

Work+Masters=Stressful but possible

Masters+ICAN=difficult & stressful, but possible

Work+Masters+ICAN=Suicidal angry angry

Trust me, I've been in each of the situations mentioned above. If you want to learn about my story, indicate interest, and I'll tell it.
Pls could you elucidate 'cos am interested. thanks
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by Equiano: 4:24pm On Jul 08, 2015
Am working and doing ICAN, its no easy oo, how much more so if u add masters to it! For me, to tk two at a time ll b far better (work and ICAN, masters and WORK or ICAN and masters). All d best

1 Like

Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by aryzgreat: 4:29pm On Jul 08, 2015
No biggie.

Currently working, doing NSE +COREN and masters in engineering.

U need to draw a timetable and program ur movement n reading time, know hard courses u don't miss, then must be mobile for flexibility btwn work n school.

After this PhD is next.

Naija needs certificate .

My brother did the three working, MBA and ICAN, though ICAN took him two to three years to get
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by owoeyeyem(m): 4:30pm On Jul 08, 2015
Dear

You can combine ICAN with your Masters, it combined my HND pro gramme in Estate Management with ICAN and i finished both at the same time

So you just have to maximise your time, Read Hard and Pray Hard and in Record time you will accomplish your set goals in Jesus Name

Regards
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by veraponpo(m): 4:31pm On Jul 08, 2015
That was my experience. I was about to write my last paper in ICAN when I entered for Executive MBA in OAU,Ile Ife.

It was a difficult one because of Lagos stress, work pressure and ICAN challenge, however, it is quite possible. The factors to consider are:

1. Your intellectual capacity, are very brilliant that if you just glance through your MBA notes you can understand because your work and ican will take over 80% of your time.

2. Your Master programme must be Finance/Accounting related to enjoy the advantage of having a background in Finance and Accounting. Otherwise, you will struggle to learn and that may be suicidal.

3. You have to drop other irrelevant things. All attention must be directed towards your programme. You cannot afford to waste your time .

4. Time management. I remember that I used to move with my handouts, notes and textbooks. In the bus, house and everywhere. Every minute counted then.

Mayy God help u.

2 Likes

Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by sessydu: 4:33pm On Jul 08, 2015
Hello OP, once upon a time, I found myself in your shoes except for the fact that I wasn't sponsored by any1...I actually sponsored myself. I was working in a bank, I was writing a CIBN exam (Chattered Institute of bankers of Nig) and masters programme. I was shuttling btw my mba class and prof class, and today I have gotten both qualifications. It is actually doable my friend but comes with a lot of commitments and sacrifice. Those years, my social life was zero; however we had to mingle n tangle with the prof babes....(Surprisingly a lot of them actually know how to enjoy n have fun, plenty chicks full ICAN n CIBN class ooooo lol). Another thing I have discovered is that, if u pass your prof exams without much stress, passing MBA exams shouldn't be much of a problem. And finally pray to succeed.

Wishing you all the best in life.
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by HH(m): 4:34pm On Jul 08, 2015
I did it successfully.....its all about sacrifice and planning bro....
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by ednut1(m): 4:34pm On Jul 08, 2015
i pity u bros . finish d masters nd write ican dont waste ur pmans money by failing d ican nd getting average masters grade.

1 Like

Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by sss2015: 4:36pm On Jul 08, 2015
adonbilivit:

It's very very possible. It depends on you. I combined the work, ICAN & a post graduate programme at UNILAG.

1 Like

Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by ednut1(m): 4:43pm On Jul 08, 2015
adonbilivit:
its in accounting
msc in accounting who does dat ican is higher dan it. go for msc in finance or management

2 Likes

Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by taland(m): 4:44pm On Jul 08, 2015
I did it but wasn't easy though.
I remembered sleeping in ICAN exam hall because I needed to forfeit a diet to focus on passing my MBA.

Remember if you fail 1 course in your MBA, That's an automatic extra year.

One major challenge is it wasn't cheap at all grin
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by UjSizzle(f): 4:45pm On Jul 08, 2015
Masters, ICAN and work concurrently? Geez.

I'll advice you start with work and either ICAN or your Masters (Go with the former first). Unless of course your masters is accounting/finance related too then your syllabus should cover the same courses, hence studying won't be difficult. Otherwise, take it one at a time.

Combining work and study is possible. Not easy, just possible. Combining two study plans with work is near suicidal.

Third option. Leave work and face both (not recommended).

1 Like

Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by Olufemiolaolu(m): 4:50pm On Jul 08, 2015
If its a part time msc you cant have much problem if u have cooperative course mates. Doing it ll impact positively on ur job. Dont leave ur job ok.
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by UjSizzle(f): 4:50pm On Jul 08, 2015
Boss13:

ACCA no be ICAN. You can cram ICAN past questions and be sure of passing.

@ Poster, what you are about to do is not easy but it is also possible. I will advise you to focus on ICAN which is more appreciable than a masters, then commence your masters. However, if you feel you can cope with this lagos traffic that sucks 50% efficiency rate out of a man, then more power to your elbow.
grin
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by amnesty7: 5:03pm On Jul 08, 2015
When you chase 3 rabbits all at onc you know what happens? Since you don't have financial constraint, face the 2 studies and at the end of the day you WILL get a good job.

1 Like

Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by amnesty7: 5:04pm On Jul 08, 2015
When you chase 3 rabbits all at once you know what happens? Since you don't have financial constraint, face the 2 studies and at the end of the day you WILL get a good job.
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by baba11(m): 5:08pm On Jul 08, 2015
You can only do this if you're very intelligent and that you're the owner of the company or your dad owns it.

If not,do one at a time from personal experience.

From my research,I was able to garner that most people didn't pass Ican at a go because they don't normally prepare adequately for it due to work related issues.

Since they have two diets in a year,you can just do the registration and apply for exemption. Then do the paper as you're capable of doing.

The distance of the Msc alone is at a disadvantage to you so think twice bros.

I've tried this twice and I know what yours will come out like.

Nice initiative though....
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by Harwoyeez(m): 5:19pm On Jul 08, 2015
Ur moniker says it all
adonbilivit:

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FG Workers To Start Receiving January Salary – AGF / Graduating With A Second Class Lower / Which One Will You Choose And Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.