Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,720 members, 7,802,173 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:25 AM

Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 (3086 Views)

You Can't Beat It.nissan Altima With Strong Camry Engine For Sale. / Nissan Altima / Nissan Altima 2002 Overheating... I Need Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by Nobody: 6:41am On Jul 08, 2015
The NISSAN ALTIMA 2002. - 2006 MODEL HAS BEEN DESCRIBED AS A PROBLEM CAR BY MANY.
I OWN AND HAVE USED THIS CAR FOR 18 MONTHS. I HAVE RUN INTO A PROBLEM OR 2 MYSELF. BUT IT'S A FUN CAR TO DRIVE WHEN IT WORKS.
ONE THING I HAVE NOTICED IS THAT ALOT OF US NISSAN ALTIMA 02 - 06 OWNERS DONT KNOW WERE TO GO FOR ADVICE HELP AND PARTS FOR THIS CAR. SO THIS IS FOR US TO TALK ABOUT IT AND SUPPORT ONE ANOTHER.

Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by Nobody: 6:42am On Jul 08, 2015
I have a Nissan Altima 2002 now, have driven it for 18 months. Nice car and have had no major issues except for nromal servicing and change of a few sensors here and there.
But for a week or two now, Sometimes the car refuses to start (especially when i have driven fast through a rough road) , with onboard lights, and other lights flickering and sound coming from under the hood as if there is sparking (but i have inspected it day and night and notice no sparks). Car did not through up any code (did a scan with a handheld maxiscan tool). In fact there is no error code in the car. When ever this happens, I just remove the battery heads, for a minute or 2 and place it back, car starts fine. once it starts, car runs fine and drives smoothly without any issues. Pleasurable car to drive.
Let me quickly say that I started to notice this issue after I gave the car a thorough wash at the car wash, including engine wash. Could this be the cause?

Any advice or ideas on what to do will be appreciated.
Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by FullDepth1: 11:20pm On Jul 09, 2015
Yeah. i own a 2006. bought it With the Hope that Major issues on the 02-05 had been rectified. But apparently, Car still has issues.
I have been able to get through many of the issues, except ONE ! Grinding/Rattling sound in the Passenger side of the Engine.

Obviously, it seems to be coming from the Timing Chain Bay. But this sound only comes up after 30mins of driving (When Car gets HOT). Embarrassing Sound.

My mechanics couldnt diagnose it, I have changed OIL(S) and OIL FILTERS, Pump, Top Cover, bla bla... I vexed and kept driving it that way Biko... , now i wanna change the Timing Chain Tensioner or Adjuster.

The No Start thingy was basically from the Crankshaft sensor. Changed it, and worked on the brake pedal switch... plenty issh jare. Im a walking mechanic.

But in all, the car is fast. And most of the issues i have encountered, I Solved myself... Was tired of paying Mechanics.

Only hoping to fix that Grinding/ Rattling sound now
Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by IdaraCHODB(m): 11:30pm On Jul 09, 2015
jonnywaka:
I have a Nissan Altima 2002 now, have driven it for 18 months. Nice car and have had no major issues except for nromal servicing and change of a few sensors here and there.
But for a week or two now, Sometimes the car refuses to start (especially when i have driven fast through a rough road) , with onboard lights, and other lights flickering and sound coming from under the hood as if there is sparking (but i have inspected it day and night and notice no sparks). Car did not through up any code (did a scan with a handheld maxiscan tool). In fact there is no error code in the car. When ever this happens, I just remove the battery heads, for a minute or 2 and place it back, car starts fine. once it starts, car runs fine and drives smoothly without any issues. Pleasurable car to drive.
Let me quickly say that I started to notice this issue after I gave the car a thorough wash at the car wash, including engine wash. Could this be the cause?

Any advice or ideas on what to do will be appreciated.

I don't like engine washes.

Go on a long drive minimum of 100 kilometres, and hopefully, the water that went where it should not might dry up.

Get an alldatadiy subscription for this vehicle to reduce the guesswork you have to do. It does not cost an arm and a leg.

1 Like

Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by Nobody: 10:18am On Jul 10, 2015
FullDepth1:
Yeah. i own a 2006. bought it With the Hope that Major issues on the 02-05 had been rectified. But apparently, Car still has issues.
I have been able to get through many of the issues, except ONE ! Grinding/Rattling sound in the Passenger side of the Engine.

Obviously, it seems to be coming from the Timing Chain Bay. But this sound only comes up after 30mins of driving (When Car gets HOT). Embarrassing Sound.

My mechanics couldnt diagnose it, I have changed OIL(S) and OIL FILTERS, Pump, Top Cover, bla bla... I vexed and kept driving it that way Biko... , now i wanna change the Timing Chain Tensioner or Adjuster.

The No Start thingy was basically from the Crankshaft sensor. Changed it, and worked on the brake pedal switch... plenty issh jare. Im a walking mechanic.

But in all, the car is fast. And most of the issues i have encountered, I Solved myself... Was tired of paying Mechanics.

Only hoping to fix that Grinding/ Rattling sound now
i understand the walking mechanic phrase. I had to buy a scanner myself. But like you said, when the car works its a pleasure to drive. I seriously recommend you look at the timing chain tensioner. Goodluck with that.
Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by DelePhd: 6:50pm On Jul 11, 2015
I also use a Nissan Altima 2002.

It began with frequent exhaustion of water in the radiator which makes me put water everyday or else the car will over heat. I reported this to a mechanic who said that the problem was the radiator that I should change it to a double cell radiator. I did that a day after. I noticed that the problem persist. The same mechanic said the gasket was blown and he advised me to replace the gasket and surface the cylinder. I also did that but the problem did not abate.

I therefore took it to another mechanic and he said that he was very sure it was the water pump. He assured me that the car will not overheat again once the water pump is replaced. I dedicated a day to take it to this new mechanic. He replaced the water pump and poured coolant and water (50/50) into the radiator. I drove it from Gbagada to Anthony before I noticed a leakage and the coolant had badly poured on the ground. When I opened the bonnet I noticed that one hose that takes coolant from the radiator to the engine was leaking. At this point the car was over heating. I took it there the following morning and the hose was fixed. I decided to test drive with A/C on. I noticed the car was still over heating. I did the same without the A/C on, the car was still overheating. I took it back to the mechanic. He checked the fans, they were working. He told me he has no idea what else could be the problem.

I took it to a third mechanic telling him the previous things that had been replaced. He didn't bother to do any serious fact finding again but concluded to my surprise that the engine block was bad and advised I buy a new engine. I called the first mechanic who open the engine to replace the gasket and he told that there was nothing wrong with the engine block.

At this point I'm so confused. I need help.
Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jul 11, 2015
DelePhd:
I also use a Nissan Altima 2002.

It began with frequent exhaustion of water in the radiator which makes me put water everyday or else the car will over heat. I reported this to a mechanic who said that the problem was the radiator that I should change it to a double cell radiator. I did that a day after. I noticed that the problem persist. The same mechanic said the gasket was blown and he advised me to replace the gasket and surface the cylinder. I also did that but the problem did not abate.

I therefore took it to another mechanic and he said that he was very sure it was the water pump. He assured me that the car will not overheat again once the water pump is replaced. I dedicated a day to take it to this new mechanic. He replaced the water pump and poured coolant and water (50/50) into the radiator. I drove it from Gbagada to Anthony before I noticed a leakage and the coolant had badly poured on the ground. When I opened the bonnet I noticed that one hose that takes coolant from the radiator to the engine was leaking. At this point the car was over heating. I took it there the following morning and the hose was fixed. I decided to test drive with A/C on. I noticed the car was still over heating. I did the same without the A/C on, the car was still overheating. I took it back to the mechanic. He checked the fans, they were working. He told me he has no idea what else could be the problem.

I took it to a third mechanic telling him the previous things that had been replaced. He didn't bother to do any serious fact finding again but concluded to my surprise that the engine block was bad and advised I buy a new engine. I called the first mechanic who open the engine to replace the gasket and he told that there was nothing wrong with the engine block.

At this point I'm so confused. I need help.
i can feel your pain and that's the exact reason i created this thread.
I will seriously advice you, trust not any mechanic that do a repair on a Nissan Altima without doing a scan first.
Good thing you in Lagos, please contact the following person+2348033910382 +2348023251039 PIN 29E935D3 vehicle repairs, consultancy scanning and diagnosis. WORKSHOP ADDRESS,NO 3 AWE STR OFF ALH HARUNA RD, HARUNA BUSTOP COLLEGE ROAD, IFAKO,LAGOS. On NL he is called GAZZUZZ. He will do a thorough scan for you.
Nissan Altima is very selective with parts. If your mechanic does not use original OEM parts, sorry you will just be wasting money.
Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by DelePhd: 8:25pm On Jul 11, 2015
Thank you very much. I will call the guy tomorrow. But the car can't go that far from Anthony without over heating. I hope he can come around sha.
Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by kayswag100(m): 10:55pm On Jul 11, 2015
I own a Nissan Altima '06 and have driven it for a year and 2 months.

Most expensive repair was d changing of a bad timing belt that cost me N1200 only. Other wise, no problem!

Also had an issue with delayed acceleration when climbing his but it sorted itself out as I was told I used bad petrol. Car runs perfect now

It's a sweet car that looks much more expensive that it really is.

2 Likes

Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jul 11, 2015
kayswag100:
I own a Nissan Altima '06 and have driven it for a year and 2 months.
Most expensive repair was d changing of a bad timing belt that cost me N1200 only.
Couldn't be. The VQ engine in your Altima has a timing chain. Confirm from your mechanic what "belt" was changed. Needless to say, even the replacement of a timing belt cannot be that low.
Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by Nobody: 11:16pm On Jul 11, 2015
@Delephd has the thermostat been checked? Have it removed, dip in cold water and boil. It should open as the water temperature rises. If it doesn't then have it changed.
Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by Suntemi(m): 7:51am On Jul 12, 2015
I have 2002 Altima, most times, the engine goes off while driving. I almost had an accident one day because when that happens, I find it very hard to put the car to stop, brake will not just work. I will have to always put the gear in neutral and try starting the engine again. This can get very serious if I'm on high speed. I've really not been using the car for sometimes now because of this issue.

I googled some things up. I was told to change the Camshaft and Crankshaft Sensor but while searching, I discover Nissan has an updated sensors different from the ones that do come with the car. Someone pointed me to a link on Amazon where I can get the updated sensors http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KBAQHII/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1436683507&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=B00KBAQHII# I really don't know if these sensors will solve my issue. This new sensors according to comments I saw online are all-metal sensors not the regular all-plastic type.

I'm tired of giving this car to different mechanics. I need someone that can help me solve this issue once and for all. Thanks
Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by Nobody: 8:20am On Jul 12, 2015
Suntemi:
I have 2002 Altima, most times, the engine goes off while driving. I almost had an accident one day because when that happens, I find it very hard to put the car to stop, brake will not just work. I will have to always put the gear in neutral and try starting the engine again. This can get very serious if I'm on high speed. I've really not been using the car for sometimes now because of this issue.

I googled some things up. I was told to change the Camshaft and Crankshaft Sensor but while searching, I discover Nissan has an updated sensors different from the ones that do come with the car. Someone pointed me to a link on Amazon where I can get the updated sensors http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KBAQHII/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1436683507&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=B00KBAQHII# I really don't know if these sensors will solve my issue. This new sensors according to comments I saw online are all-metal sensors not the regular all-plastic type.

I'm tired of giving this car to different mechanics. I need someone that can help me solve this issue once and for all. Thanks
I had that same problem once. Yes the diagnosis is right. The camshaft and crankshaft sensors if bad can be terrible. But they are also easy to find and fix. I will say that you should not wait for the metallic sensors, just buy the regular plastic magnetic onces. They will serve the purpose. It usually dont cost much. In Lagos you should get it for 3000 or less. Any mechanic with sense should be able to fix it.
But as i always advice from my experience with this car, dont do any repairs without doing a thorough scan first. Its become a rule of thumb for me. Because the car can be very selective of parts. Everything runs on sensor.
Goodluck with it. When it works its a fun car to drive.
Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by Nobody: 11:54am On Jul 12, 2015
Suntemi:

I'm afraid despite your online search you've not adopted the right attitude. Your SES light should be on with all you've said, yet you've ignored it. Scan and come back with the results.
Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by boldx(m): 12:07pm On Jul 12, 2015
Owing a Nissan Altima is like giving your mechanic your ATM card. But the good side of this bitter-sweet experience is that it gives you the opportunity to learn how to be a mechanic. The moment u sell the car, you have peace.

3 Likes

Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by kayswag100(m): 12:45pm On Jul 12, 2015
Costee:

Couldn't be. The VQ engine in your Altima has a timing chain. Confirm from your mechanic what "belt" was changed. Needless to say, even the replacement of a timing belt cannot be that low.

It is! D belt cut got worn out and was replaced @ 1200.

Only if I'm calling d belt d wrong name.

When d belt had issues, all warning lights were on, battery wasn't charging and Steering was hard, temperature was high too.

D mechanic changed d belt in my presence for N1200 and issue was resolved instantly!
Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by kayswag100(m): 12:52pm On Jul 12, 2015
boldx:
Owing a Nissan Altima is like giving your mechanic your ATM card. But the good side of this bitter-sweet experience is that it gives you the opportunity to learn how to be a mechanic. The moment u sell the car, you have peace.

Sir, I would like to totally disagree! All cars have their issues.

This car is what I've driven for over a year without any major issue; safe for regular oil and fuel filter change.

Ehen!! I forgot. Brake pad change is regular for me o. I can't stand that squeaky noise worn break pads make

Guys, how often do u change break pads for city driving on d Same car?
Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jul 12, 2015
kayswag100:

It is! D belt cut got worn out and was replaced @ 1200.

Only if I'm calling d belt d wrong name.

When d belt had issues, all warning lights were on, battery wasn't charging and Steering was hard, temperature was high too.

D mechanic changed d belt in my presence for N1200 and issue was resolved instantly!
that is the serpentine belt. It turns the alternator, the ac compressor, the water pump and the power steering oil pump. Good thing with this car is that that belt is a single long belt. Yes you right the belt is 1200 to 1500 and your mechanic can fix it free if you are regular with him or for less than 500.
This car uses a timing chain not belt. It hardly cut and give problem except for the tensioner.
Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by Suntemi(m): 3:00pm On Jul 12, 2015
Costee:

I'm afraid despite your online search you've not adopted the right attitude. Your SES light should be on with all you've said, yet you've ignored it. Scan and come back with the results.

While I appreciate the fact that you are trying to help I feel you are a little rude for concluding I don't have the right attitude. You don't have an idea what I've tried before. Thanks anyway.
Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by Nobody: 5:08pm On Jul 12, 2015
Suntemi:

While I appreciate the fact that you are trying to help I feel you are a little rude for concluding I don't have the right attitude. You don't have an idea what I've tried before. Thanks anyway.
Far from being rude (because there was no reason for it), I meant it would have been fruitful if you had scanned the car before seeking for solutions. Yes, I have no idea what you've tried to do before, and that was why my opinion was based on the information you disclosed. Still, let's have the scan results.
Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by boldx(m): 6:04pm On Jul 12, 2015
kayswag100:

Sir, I would like to totally disagree! All cars have their issues.

This car is what I've driven for over a year without any major issue; safe for regular oil and fuel filter change.

Ehen!! I forgot. Brake pad change is regular for me o. I can't stand that squeaky noise worn break pads make

Guys, how often do u change break pads for city driving on d Same car?
Your experience is very rare. I dont have the statistics of those that have really enjoyed their ALTIMA. I can remember Nissparts enjoyed his 2008 Nissan Altima. Yes, cars have issues generally but a Nissan Altima is a no-no for me. Thats my personal opinion and i will NOT recommend it for anyone. It doesnt mean all Nissan cars are like that.
Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by kayswag100(m): 6:46pm On Jul 12, 2015
jonnywaka:
that is the serpentine belt. It turns the alternator, the ac compressor, the water pump and the power steering oil pump. Good thing with this car is that that belt is a single long belt. Yes you right the belt is 1200 to 1500 and your mechanic can fix it free if you are regular with him or for less than 500.
This car uses a timing chain not belt. It hardly cut and give problem except for the tensioner.

Oh. I c. So that's what it's called? Learnt smth new. D belt was sooooo long!!

Btw, is it normal to change brake pads like every three months? Esp. for city driving?
Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jul 12, 2015
kayswag100:

Oh. I c. So that's what it's called? Learnt smth new. D belt was sooooo long!!

Btw, is it normal to change brake pads like every three months? Esp. for city driving?

well its not normal, but it depends on your driving pattern and the quality of brake pads used. But i must be quick to say that the disc of the Altima and the brake pads are fitted with a design that let them make some noise to alert the driver when they are worn out. So, yeah, if your brake pad wears out every 3 months you have to change it. I will only advice though that you check with your mechanic next time if the brakes are binding (that means too tight to the disc), this can cause unnecessary heating, friction and low fuel millage and most certainly make your brake pads to wear away faster.

1 Like

Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by DonX001: 2:07am On Jul 13, 2015
How often do you guys your servicing/maintenance, and what are the things you service/change?
Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by Nobody: 6:57am On Jul 13, 2015
DonX001:
How often do you guys your servicing/maintenance, and what are the things you service/change?
I enjoy my Altima 2002. I maintain a very strict service routine.
1. I change oil every 3000km or every 3months when i use it heavily. Each oil change follows with oil filter change. I have used same brand of oil all the way. I dont use synthetic.
2.i change ATF at least once a year, whether its burnt or not. And i used Oando dextron 111.
3. At regular interval i get my vulcanizer to check the alignment.
I have not had the cause to do other things.

2 Likes

Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by Nobody: 7:03am On Jul 13, 2015
There are some sensors the Nissan Altima 2002. - 2006 is notorious for, they are:
the Camshaft position sensor,
the Crankshaft position sensor,
the engine speed sensor and
the MAF sensor.
If you have this car and you have money get a good mechanic to guide you to buy these sensors and have them in your car all the time.
These sensors can go bad anytime and usually dont give any warning before going bad. Once they go bad you change them, your can will go normal again.
Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by Nobody: 10:11am On Jul 13, 2015
jonnywaka:
There are some sensors the Nissan Altima 2002. - 2006 is notorious for, they are:
the Camshaft position sensor,
the Crankshaft position sensor,
the engine speed sensor and
the MAF sensor.
If you have this car and you have money get a good mechanic to guide you to buy these sensors and have them in your car all the time.
These sensors can go bad anytime and usually dont give any warning before going bad. Once they go bad you change them, your can will go normal again.
Quite true. However, you seem to give the impression that one needs to change them quite often. This need not be so if you install new ones, which are expected to last for not less than 60k miles (that should go some five years). In fact that's why sensors are expensive; because they are to be used for extended periods. The tokunbo sensors we buy are usually already in their twilight years, and so the frequent changes.
New ones are in the market and these are their part numbers:
Crankshaft/Camshaft sensor:23731-8J005 (about 12k) or 23731-6N21A. You need two pieces (depending on error code:P0335 for crankshaft or P0340 for camshaft--a sensor apiece).
Rev Sensor: 31935-8E004 or 31935-8E006 (about 15k). You need two pieces. (depending on error code: P0720 and P0500)
MAF Sensor: 22680-8J000 or 23731-6N21A (about 18k).

1 Like

Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jul 13, 2015
From the responses av gathered the the Altima is a PROBLEM CAR. That would explain its cheap price compared to its peers and the fact that it has practically no second hand value.

Una dey try o. grin Why should I invest my hard earned cash in acquiring a headache.

1 Like

Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jul 13, 2015
kaeforum:
From the responses av gathered the the Altima is a PROBLEM CAR.
If you believe that you'll believe anything!
Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by kayswag100(m): 6:15pm On Jul 13, 2015
kaeforum:
From the responses av gathered the the Altima is a PROBLEM CAR. That would explain its cheap price compared to its peers and the fact that it has practically no second hand value.

Una dey try o. grin Why should I invest my hard earned cash in acquiring a headache.

May I know d responses u r referring to sir?

Not like I'm defending d ''Altima'' Brand but u should understand that all cars have their own issues. I v used an 06 model for over one year with minimal issues. I know colleagues of mine that use d ''so-called'' easily mainatable brands like big daddy and EOD or muscle with enough issues

A car is like a baby. When it 'cries', feed it or it starves to death!

1 Like

Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by salvo583: 8:31am On Jul 14, 2015
chai!! all dis altima wahala thread on nairaland deh fear me oo . I use a 2008 model tho, what problem is it generally known for?
Re: Let's Talk Nissan Altima 2002 by FullDepth1: 12:31pm On May 17, 2016
salvo583:
chai!! all dis altima wahala thread on nairaland deh fear me oo . I use a 2008 model tho, what problem is it generally known for?

List all the problems your car has experienced.

And the total amount you've burnt.

This way, we can know if the Altima is a "Wahala Thread" as you said.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Need Good Shocks Absorbers For My Solara / Innoson Auto Plant Unveils Truly Nigerian Vehicles / Toyota Corolla 1999 Model And Toyota Camry 99 Model( Tiny Light) Conparism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.