Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,104 members, 7,807,326 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:20 PM

Abacha’s Personal Doctor Sheds Light On How He Died - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abacha’s Personal Doctor Sheds Light On How He Died (1786 Views)

REVEALED!!! How Abacha Really Died – Abacha’s Personal Doctor / The Last Outing Of Abacha With Yasir Arafat - In Picture / Abdulsalami Ignored Mko’s Health Till He Died — Abiola’s Son (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abacha’s Personal Doctor Sheds Light On How He Died by sirculynz(m): 8:45pm On Jul 08, 2015
Professor Sadiq Suleiman Wali was General Sani Abacha’s personal doctor. Professor Wali spoke to the press, revealing the details of Abacha’s sudden death seventeen years after his mysterious demise.
Sani Abacha’s sudden death caused lots of rumours
An event in 1998 changed the Nigerian history. By June 1998, Sani Abacha had ruled Nigeria for almost five years. Isolated by the West, Abacha had promised democratic elections and a transition to civilian rule by October 1998, but with just months to polls, all the political parties nominated General Abacha as their candidate for president.

Professor Sadiq Suleiman Wali was General Sani Abacha’s personal doctor. Professor Wali describes Abacha as “a quiet person, calm person. He could be really firm on some issues, but normally he didn’t talk much”.

Professor Wali has served as physician to the three previous Nigerian heads of state after being reluctantly recruited to that role in the early 1980-s. He considered himself politically neutral and lived outside the sprawling heavily guarded presidential complex known as Aso Rock in the capital Abuja. But he was a fixture in the presidential entourage.

Professor Wali says Abacha’s health was OK just before his death. “Abacha was generally healthy though he had some health issues, he was treated, he’s responded [to that treatment] very well. He didn’t have any heart-related diseases at that time.”

On the 7 of June, 1998  Wali’d been with Abacha, as he hosted the Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat and all seemed well. The next morning General Sani Abacha was due to fly to the OAU summit being held in Burkina-Faso and professor Wali was due to go with him.

Professor Wali recounts that “around 6 am I had a phone call from his security officers, and they said, “please come, come to the villa, come urgently!”  Before I even could get ready, they came and picked me. I had no idea what it all was about.”

The car carrying the doctor sped towards the presidential villa through a special entrance – a shortcut which only the president was allowed to use.

The doctor realised something was seriously wrong.

“I arrived then I saw chief security there and he said “doctor come in, please, come in!” We all rushed and I just saw the president. There was another doctor who came earlier, resuscitating him. Abacha was in the sitting room. He was on the couch. He was in his normal work clothes. I didn’t panic. I’ve seen a lot of serious problems before in my practice, but to affect him was very tough, definitely. I joined and we did as much as we could to resuscitate him. But I realised that he was dead because he was fuming. We just continued resuscitation and even injected some things, but it didn’t work.”

After 40 minutes trying to resuscitate the stricken general, Professor Wali said General Abacha had died. “I said, sorry – there’s nothing we can do”.

There was no immediate public announcement, in a country prone to coups, Abacha’s head of security first increased the guard around the presidential complex and then called the heads of the armed forces to gather to decide on his replacement.

“Immediately the security officer took over, and he invited all the service chiefs to come to Abuja, by then most of them were based in Lagos.” says doctor Wali.

When the service chiefs arrived, some of them asked to see the body to pay their respect to their former leader.

“They wanted to make sure, that he is dead. And some of them were crying” – tells Wali.

Professor informed the family of what have happened. Obviously, the sudden death of an apparently healthy head of state raised a few questions.

Professor Wali was determined that there should be an autopsy to find out what caused the sudden heart attack. After much deliberating, the family declined, preferring the quick burial in line with Islamic tradition. But the doctor was determined to find some clues as to what have happened.

“I still try to take some samples of blood and urine and hair and things like that, just thinking for the future chemical tests,” Professor Wali said, adding that “it’s very difficult to say [whether he died of natural causes]. What I can see. The blood test we did, has shown some raised cardiac enzymes [proteins that are released into the blood by dying heart muscles].That why we thought maybe it was cardiac attack.”

Every Nigerian has his own theory about what happened to General Abacha. There are rumours that he has been poisoned, or that he spent a night entertaining young ladies. Professor Wali conmented on those rumours that “when I entered [Abacha’s premises], there were no ladies. It might be true but I did not see them. Concerning the poison, as I said no post-mortem has been done, so I couldn’t assure whether he was poisoned or it was a heart attack.”

While the generals deliberated on who would take over, plans were made to take Abacha’s body in his hometown of Kano later that day. It was decided to finally tell the public what had happened.  But the mystery around Abacha’s death still remains seventeen years after his sudden and unexpected demise.

Source: http://www.naij.com/482740-abachas-personal-doctor-shed-light-on-how-he-really-died.html

1 Share

Re: Abacha’s Personal Doctor Sheds Light On How He Died by fulanimafia: 8:46pm On Jul 08, 2015
Who really cares?

2 Likes

Re: Abacha’s Personal Doctor Sheds Light On How He Died by INTROVERT(f): 8:47pm On Jul 08, 2015
Who cares
Re: Abacha’s Personal Doctor Sheds Light On How He Died by NaijaSingleBoy(m): 8:52pm On Jul 08, 2015
INTROVERT:
Who cares

You are 2nd TC tongue grin
Re: Abacha’s Personal Doctor Sheds Light On How He Died by Nobody: 9:02pm On Jul 08, 2015
I don't care!
Re: Abacha’s Personal Doctor Sheds Light On How He Died by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jul 08, 2015
May God bless Nigeria.
Re: Abacha’s Personal Doctor Sheds Light On How He Died by Nobody: 9:08pm On Jul 08, 2015
how i'll tell my boss my official laptop fell broke be my problem here cry cry cry
Re: Abacha’s Personal Doctor Sheds Light On How He Died by BOWOTO(m): 9:13pm On Jul 08, 2015
This man will never be forgotten.
Re: Abacha’s Personal Doctor Sheds Light On How He Died by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jul 08, 2015
All of dem na terrorist!
Re: Abacha’s Personal Doctor Sheds Light On How He Died by Ebusbaba1: 9:14pm On Jul 08, 2015
Na apple kill am na
Re: Abacha’s Personal Doctor Sheds Light On How He Died by OsoDupe(f): 9:24pm On Jul 08, 2015
Olorun to pa Abacha lai lo kondo ko ma sohun ti ko me se.
Re: Abacha’s Personal Doctor Sheds Light On How He Died by tinuolababy(f): 9:25pm On Jul 08, 2015
Okay
Re: Abacha’s Personal Doctor Sheds Light On How He Died by kestolove95(m): 9:28pm On Jul 08, 2015
And he died
Re: Abacha’s Personal Doctor Sheds Light On How He Died by hakeem4(m): 9:28pm On Jul 08, 2015
K
Re: Abacha’s Personal Doctor Sheds Light On How He Died by trapQ: 3:17pm On Jul 09, 2015
u really expect me to seat here and read that long shit about how a tyrant died like 20yrs ago.

no please
Re: Abacha’s Personal Doctor Sheds Light On How He Died by mekadinho(f): 3:19pm On Jul 09, 2015
Abacha should go and die, "ya I knw he is dead". I mean he should die again where ever he is nw...
Re: Abacha’s Personal Doctor Sheds Light On How He Died by wordcat(m): 5:14pm On Jul 09, 2015
Prof. Wali did not shed any light, he simply said what we all know; that Abacha hosted Yasser Arafat and was planning to go for OAU meeting before his sudden death.
Re: Abacha’s Personal Doctor Sheds Light On How He Died by trailblaiza(m): 5:39pm On Jul 09, 2015
Whether na apple he chop, whether na coconut ooo, whether na abatcha ooo, whether na ubey ooo...All I can say is that Abacha's death was a DIVINE INTERVENTION! angry
Re: Abacha’s Personal Doctor Sheds Light On How He Died by hazyfm: 5:43pm On Jul 09, 2015
shocked shocked shocked shocked

SPECIAL ENTRANCE!!
Re: Abacha’s Personal Doctor Sheds Light On How He Died by buskie13(m): 6:02pm On Jul 09, 2015
since this dokitor no really know wetin kill abacha...why he come dey disturb our ear

na apple kill am...simple...

#Iranu_Abachaembarassed
Re: Abacha’s Personal Doctor Sheds Light On How He Died by owobokiri(m): 6:32pm On Jul 09, 2015
fulanimafia:
Who really cares?

All these angst because he rightly demistified that your over-dressed and totally redundant sultan of sokoto?

(1) (Reply)

Meet Beautiful Mrs Olabisi Kolawole, Nigeria’s First Female Police PRO (photo) / Buhari Must Resign!!!! / Saudi Arabia Man Claim he Fall Accidentally and Penetrated His Maid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.