Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,708 members, 7,802,133 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:36 AM

Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands (60740 Views)

Angry Bus Drivers Block Benin-Lagos Road Over The Killing Of A Conductor (Pics) / Plane Carrying Brazilian Footballers Crashes In Colombia, Killing 25 People / Emirates Explains Credit Card Policy Demands For Nigerians Travelling To Brazil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by folabayo1(f): 10:28pm On Jul 08, 2015
Ask a and it shalll be given.......

Lol grin

1 Like

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by youngice(m): 10:29pm On Jul 08, 2015
sultaan:
Apparently PhD is not given for common sense if you take on their problem it is your problem so there is no need for them to solve it anymore.

Don't log in to Facebook for 3 months the block all calls from Nigeria for 3 months by then your senses would have adjusted to you being responsible to your family they all won't die in 3 months they will have to understand where their lives are if you are incapacitated for extended period. Wean them of free milk and honey.

No insult intended
Good reply
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by phransix147(m): 10:29pm On Jul 08, 2015
Simple solution comeback home...

3 Likes

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by PHfinest(m): 10:30pm On Jul 08, 2015
Dogoyaro

1 Like

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jul 08, 2015
Almost every working person gets such demand, irrespective of where the person is. I get almost on daily basis.

And i haev a feeling you flaunt your "wealth" on facebook....such attracts more demand.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by omooba969(m): 10:30pm On Jul 08, 2015
You too kill them with supplies ! grin

7 Likes

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by MichaelSokoto(m): 10:31pm On Jul 08, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
Carry cocaine to indonesia, if u want to end it once and for all.
Chai!
Walahi 1st time u made ya 1st sense in ya entire pathetic life! Kawai! grin

7 Likes

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by ochejoseph(m): 10:31pm On Jul 08, 2015
astrodome:

You mean I should send myself to my death (for that is the reward for drug trafficking in Indonesia) to avoid them?

Don't Mind that guy he is very Unreasonable!

Check his TL and u will never respond to any of those rubbish again!

1 Like

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by demmie1: 10:31pm On Jul 08, 2015
delishpot:
Pkele op. Tell them you are having some problem at work and your boss has not been paying you since then. Inshort, beg them to send some cash to your momsie that you will try to pay later. That you are low on cash qnd momsie needs her monthly allawee.

Ignore friends on FB. Must you have FB pals? I closed my FB acct and opened a new one where only my family members are my friends. I do not post any photos there and I make sure no friends we have in common knows its me.

broz o. put them in d middle( literaly). all u have to to is ignore them( friends and family inclusive) u dont have to be a good boy for anyone. trust me they dont appreciate it. they only see u as the another du.mb pot of soup.

3 Likes

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by horlakunle25(m): 10:32pm On Jul 08, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
ah!! See wickedness!!!
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Expsbterror(m): 10:32pm On Jul 08, 2015
Omo u must pay dues ooooo Chai Nigerians and their mentality that wance I go abroad, Obama issues u an open cheque for friends and relatives.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by olushy: 10:32pm On Jul 08, 2015
Op Bleep u and Bleep off

1 Like

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by McEwen(m): 10:32pm On Jul 08, 2015
undecided
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Kizyte(m): 10:33pm On Jul 08, 2015
astrodome:
Help!! Friends, family, former school mates and others are killing me with financial demands. Everyday I receive facebook (fb) messages, phone calls, email messages and messages from other communication avenues from family members, friends close and distant, school mates I have not seen in 20 years but with whom I reconnected on fb, and even random fb friends (meaning I do not know them personally but somehow we managed to be friends on fb). They all have the same story: please send me money, anything.

Each month I send nearly 3k to Nigeria and they keep asking for more.

Do they think I pluck money from trees in America?
Do they think every Nigerian in America is doing drugs or credit card fraud to make money?
Are they thinking that since Akin or Emeka made it in America (in many cases by selling drugs and doing credit card fraud), I should also make it and therefore be able to satisfy their unending demands?

How do I explain to them that I have bills (auto, mortgage, water-sewer, electricity, gas, phone, credit card) to pay. And then I have to run my family (of 4) and fuel 2 cars, and on top of that, I have to save also for the rainy day - for when kids get to college.

I am able to resist the random fb friends because I do not have any personal connection with them, but how do I scare the ones I know off without sounding rude and unhelping? I know that when you stop giving, you become an enemy.
Help! Before a fellow nairalander runs amock on the streets of America because of pressure from Nigeria cry cry cry cry

Just for disclosure: I am well-heeled in the US mid-upper middle class, earning a 6-figure pay, holds a PhD, and involved in R4D activities. But I live in a US city (name withheld) where mortgage payment alone takes 25% of my monthly income. So you can imagine that after paying all bills, I do not have tons of money left over to give out on frequent basis.

Please advise on how to handle this, Naija style grin grin. Thanks
How were you allowed to live with four kids in the U.S? That's supposed to be irresponsible.

1 Like

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by entparrot(f): 10:34pm On Jul 08, 2015
Just give them the money and stop complaining, or better come back to Nigeria and start begging people in America.

In Nigeria corporate begging is a very lucrative business.

1 Like

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by MichaelSokoto(m): 10:34pm On Jul 08, 2015
astrodome:

And who will be my new friends on the new fb page? Those ones will not ask for help?
Add me!
U won't even notice dat am there, trust me grin
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by ayusco85(m): 10:34pm On Jul 08, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:

you are just so daft and u have an empty skull.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by OsoDupe(f): 10:34pm On Jul 08, 2015
Deactivate ur social accounts, change ur phone numbers and only give it out to close family member.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Bhella5(m): 10:34pm On Jul 08, 2015
Do what u can to help. This is Africa, we take care of our own expecially family. Givers never lack they say.

4 Likes

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by horlakunle25(m): 10:34pm On Jul 08, 2015
Sunofgod:

Yeah - only associate with rich people - poor people are trouble!

(Bros - Can you lend me like $2000 until payday? Abeg!)
badooo...so u go later beg 4 money after all dis ur sermon??
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by NovusHomo(m): 10:35pm On Jul 08, 2015
astrodome:
Help!! Friends, family, former school mates and others are killing me with financial demands. Everyday I receive facebook (fb) messages, phone calls, email messages and messages from other communication avenues from family members, friends close and distant, school mates I have not seen in 20 years but with whom I reconnected on fb, and even random fb friends (meaning I do not know them personally but somehow we managed to be friends on fb). They all have the same story: please send me money, anything.

Each month I send nearly 3k to Nigeria and they keep asking for more.

Do they think I pluck money from trees in America?
Do they think every Nigerian in America is doing drugs or credit card fraud to make money?
Are they thinking that since Akin or Emeka made it in America (in many cases by selling drugs and doing credit card fraud), I should also make it and therefore be able to satisfy their unending demands?

How do I explain to them that I have bills (auto, mortgage, water-sewer, electricity, gas, phone, credit card) to pay. And then I have to run my family (of 4) and fuel 2 cars, and on top of that, I have to save also for the rainy day - for when kids get to college.

I am able to resist the random fb friends because I do not have any personal connection with them, but how do I scare the ones I know off without sounding rude and unhelping? I know that when you stop giving, you become an enemy.
Help! Before a fellow nairalander runs amock on the streets of America because of pressure from Nigeria cry cry cry cry

Just for disclosure: I am well-heeled in the US mid-upper middle class, earning a 6-figure pay, holds a PhD, and involved in R4D activities. But I live in a US city (name withheld) where mortgage payment alone takes 25% of my monthly income. So you can imagine that after paying all bills, I do not have tons of money left over to give out on frequent basis.

Please advise on how to handle this, Naija style grin grin. Thanks

Help yourself. Cut them off.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Olofintoto(m): 10:36pm On Jul 08, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
bros u wicked o
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jul 08, 2015

1 Like

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by histemple: 10:36pm On Jul 08, 2015
I understand your plight perfectly because I have been in same situation and I sought informed opinions on the way forward. Some of the things I learnt include but no limited to the following;

"NO" is not a bad answer and those who don't use it are never successful.

You can't satisfy everyone's need no matter how you try to.

If you run into financial crises, 99.9 percent of the people you are helping will move on immediately and less than a percent will ever call you again.

All of them will not die if you stop helping them today and you don't owe anyone an explanation on why you stopped.

Having said all that, I must admit that it is not so easy to stop but remember that some evils are necessary. E.g. It is a necessary evil that some people must die for others to live. So, anyway you look at it, you must stop trying NOT TO offend all beggers.
My advice is tell your very close relatives that you have some challenges and ask them to bear with you. Most of you in the US are very broke and survive mainly on credits, so don't allow them to add to your problems

24 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Ojestas(m): 10:37pm On Jul 08, 2015
Ask Emmanuel Adebayor.

1 Like

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by bebe2(f): 10:37pm On Jul 08, 2015
overdrive:
what's ur fb handle let me add u.

grin grin grin grin grin

me too,

father christmas grin grin
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Sunofgod(m): 10:37pm On Jul 08, 2015
horlakunle25:
badooo...so u go later beg 4 money after all dis ur sermon??

Na so dey rich dey become rich - - by saving their money and spending someone else's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Watch and learn)

1 Like

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by hotgunz(m): 10:37pm On Jul 08, 2015
astrodome:

You mean I should send myself to my death (for that is the reward for drug trafficking in Indonesia) to avoid them?
we knw, we listen and view news too here in Nigeria
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by olawonder(m): 10:38pm On Jul 08, 2015
Am surprised ppl here are not raining curses on u for this post; d last time a similar thread was posted, d OP ran away for ppl's abuse! You know why? because d ppl u are asking here for advice are the same friends, families and folks u were referring to... they too hv ppl abroad they are frustrating lives out of, for money! And they wouldn't like this sort of post that seems to pointing directly at them!

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Nobody: 10:38pm On Jul 08, 2015
Jarus:
Almost every working person gets such demand, irrespective of where the person is. I get almost on daily basis.

And i haev a feeling you flaunt your "wealth" on facebook....such attracts more demand.

He must be a very lousy guy. This is common to all Nigerians living at home and abroad and people have been dealing with it for ages. You don't have to come here to flaunt what you have. Use your common sense. if you want to help, help otherwise deal with it yourself

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Tarkwa Bay Beach Island In Lagos (Photos) / Air Peace Staff Land In London In Ishiagu Attire, Sparking Outrage In Nigeria / Inside The Kaduna-abuja Train Shared By A Twitter User (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.