Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,510 members, 7,808,865 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:14 PM

Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands (60768 Views)

Angry Bus Drivers Block Benin-Lagos Road Over The Killing Of A Conductor (Pics) / Plane Carrying Brazilian Footballers Crashes In Colombia, Killing 25 People / Emirates Explains Credit Card Policy Demands For Nigerians Travelling To Brazil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by astrodome: 1:21am On Jul 09, 2015
aktunde:
@OP
I think you have provided too much information just to ask a simple question and that has broken the credibility of your story. Now I don't know if you really need help or if you just want to show off. Why tell us about your degree, cars, even salary just to prove a point? Are all these necessary? I'm in same shoes, I get such demands and I deal with it without being unnecessarily lousy. Common man!

I get your point. However, if you do not say some of these things I said, some of you people here will claim I am probably flipping burgers at McDonalds, earning less than 2K a month and so the complain. I wanted to make the point that even those who appear comfortable are also spending a lot. Hey! I am still anonymous here. grin grin

Big pay, big burden
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by astrodome: 1:22am On Jul 09, 2015
goodgate:
Believing the OP seems a huge task for me,he sound like an attention seeking MOFO in AJcity.

Read my other thread. Thanks https://www.nairaland.com/1978350/how-america-gets-it-right
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by goodgate: 1:23am On Jul 09, 2015
Reddit:
I sensed pride
I Smelt LIES!!!
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Nobody: 1:24am On Jul 09, 2015
Stop forming BIG.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Nobody: 1:28am On Jul 09, 2015
aktunde:
@OP
I think you have provided too much information just to ask a simple question and that has broken the credibility of your story. Now I don't know if you really need help or if you just want to show off. Why tell us about your degree, cars, even salary just to prove a point? Are all these necessary? I'm in same shoes, I get such demands and I deal with it without being unnecessarily lousy. Common man!
That is typical of Nigerians. He could be telling the truth.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Motolank: 1:34am On Jul 09, 2015
Reddit:
I sensed pride
Yes bro.. he s not even in america! Where will he get 3k from every month?

He's just building his castle in the air undecided
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by astrodome: 1:35am On Jul 09, 2015
Motolank:

https://www.nairaland.com/1978350/how-america-gets-it-right
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Motolank: 1:37am On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:

https://www.nairaland.com/1978350/how-america-gets-it-right
I tell you...what you wrote is not true.. for wea u dey work? You even make 1500montly?
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Goldenboy007(m): 1:39am On Jul 09, 2015
aktunde:
@OP

Thank you bro, we all know the situation back home and we all try to help. Giving or not giving isn't as big a deal as he painted cos nobody can force money out of you.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Motolank: 1:49am On Jul 09, 2015
Sunofgod:

Yeah - only associate with rich people - poor people are trouble!

(Bros - Can you lend me like $2000 until payday? Abeg!)
When is your next 'pay day' bros
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Goldenboy007(m): 1:50am On Jul 09, 2015
Motolank:

I tell you...what you wrote is not true.. for wea u dey work? You even make 1500montly?

I am telling you, I was flabergasted too when i saw that ! For a research scientist ? That's a storm in a teacup !!! 3k monthly ? And has mortgage, probably car loan payment , utility bills and living expenses. What won't you see on Nairaland !

1 Like

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by 19naia(m): 1:56am On Jul 09, 2015
Take your $3000 camera and take photos of the homeless dissheveled vagrants of the streets of USA and send to them on face book and tell them to wake up to the reality of life there.
Send them the price breakdown of foods and transport and cost of living and how its not even allowed in USA to live in a shanty slum after yousent all your last $ to them.
When you send your last $ to them, you will be taken to prison for gross vagrancy and begging in the streets. Then they will see and maybe still they will not care.

1 Like

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Nobody: 1:58am On Jul 09, 2015
This was exactly what my friends and I were discussing today. The rate at which relatives/friends ask for money. Very baffling!

1 Like

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Motolank: 2:00am On Jul 09, 2015
Goldenboy007:

I am telling you, I was flabergasted too when i saw that ! For a research scientist ? That's a storm in a teacup !!! 3k monthly ? And has mortgage, probably car loan payment , utility bills and living expenses. What won't you see on Nairaland !
I know, telling us lie in broad day light undecided
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by hollypagan: 2:01am On Jul 09, 2015
oga if you have give, if you dnt have let them know l.stop complaining they asked you which means ur better than them, dangote
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by happney65: 2:02am On Jul 09, 2015
I dont know what is wrong with Nigerians..I had to leave my former apartment when folks knew i had little Money..My House became a mecca of sorts.People who never knew my house when i dey hustle.Everybodi starts bringing bills to me as if them dey there when i dey hustle..I had to leave my apartment and run away to a place where nobody knew where i was living..One should help those that are in Need,but you must not be wasteful when helping..I tire for our People ohh
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by yerimastyle(m): 2:05am On Jul 09, 2015
I see pride in your post if I was d one I will do d best I can and with that God will not put ms to shame God will always help out when you give .
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Nobody: 2:06am On Jul 09, 2015
aktunde:
@OP
please don't blame him, though I understand where you are coming from. The dude is probably so frustrated. It's not easy to be the family's ATM machine.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by fajigirl(f): 2:13am On Jul 09, 2015
Hi Ops, it is simple it is because you make them think you have nothing better to do with your money. Learn to say "no".
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by astrodome: 2:15am On Jul 09, 2015
Goldenboy007:

Was a research scientist until early last year. Read that post more carefully. Now an industry employee where I get well paid for a good job. Why am I explaining this anyway?

1 Like

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by mickey45: 2:24am On Jul 09, 2015
Truckpusher:
smh
SYH? Why? Btw, I've been meaning to reach you o!
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by astrodome: 2:36am On Jul 09, 2015
Motolank:

I pity your life Bro, if you think everyone is a loser, like you? grin grin grin

Owning 2 cars is not a luxury in America for a family. And even with my 6 figure pay, you see that I am still complaining.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by mickey45: 2:38am On Jul 09, 2015
Motolank:

That one person can't do something doesn't make it impossible for everyone else.
So he might be saying the truth.

3k (wey no b naira) is somewhat on the high side bt people (especially intellectuals) have causes they care about. Depending on d person's life experiences (if it's someone whose lot also got bettered by other people.

What I've noticed in the way we do charity here is that folks will help you (seeing your zeal to succeed) and they'll support.

Then rather than forget abt it like d Bible said n focusing on bettering their lives regardless of that so-called assistance,

some of them will just sit back, make poor choices n wen ur own hustle's beginning to pay off, they start to demand even though u're also just finding your feet and wld like to tie something down first.

Yet you must attend to those needs else u'll b labelled ingrate. The solution I see then is to budget.
The Bible did say " he that giveth to the poor lendeth unto the lord"
Not supporting being ungrateful but we're to learn from one another's experiences. And I'm open to diverging view(s).

2 Likes

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by sule5727: 2:40am On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:
Help!! Friends, family, former school mates and others are killing me with financial demands. Everyday I receive facebook (fb) messages, phone calls, email messages and messages from other communication avenues from family members, friends close and distant, school mates I have not seen in 20 years but with whom I reconnected on fb, and even random fb friends (meaning I do not know them personally but somehow we managed to be friends on fb). They all have the same story: please send me money, anything.

Each month I send nearly 3k to Nigeria and they keep asking for more.

Do they think I pluck money from trees in America?
Do they think every Nigerian in America is doing drugs or credit card fraud to make money?
Are they thinking that since Akin or Emeka made it in America (in many cases by selling drugs and doing credit card fraud), I should also make it and therefore be able to satisfy their unending demands?

How do I explain to them that I have bills (auto, mortgage, water-sewer, electricity, gas, phone, credit card) to pay. And then I have to run my family (of 4) and fuel 2 cars, and on top of that, I have to save also for the rainy day - for when kids get to college.

I am able to resist the random fb friends because I do not have any personal connection with them, but how do I scare the ones I know off without sounding rude and unhelping? I know that when you stop giving, you become an enemy.
Help! Before a fellow nairalander runs amock on the streets of America because of pressure from Nigeria cry cry cry cry

Just for disclosure: I am well-heeled in the US mid-upper middle class, earning a 6-figure pay, holds a PhD, and involved in R4D activities. But I live in a US city (name withheld) where mortgage payment alone takes 25% of my monthly income. So you can imagine that after paying all bills, I do not have tons of money left over to give out on frequent basis.

Please advise on how to handle this, Naija style grin grin. Thanks
if at all say u dey america self may be na dead body u d wash to get money!!! D whole gist self na pride and fallacy
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by sule5727: 2:43am On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:
I just dropped the phone a few minutes ago after speaking with one of these old friends, got very angry after telling me he lives in Adamawa (Boko Haram) and needs money to relocate to his state of origin. This coming after I sent $700, respectively to a sister and a sister-inlaw this am

Dem wan kill me? cry cry cry cry cry cry
guy stop telling lies
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Ndipe(m): 2:53am On Jul 09, 2015
Story story
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by jackyraw09: 3:05am On Jul 09, 2015
omooba969:
You too kill them with supplies ! grin

wicked grin grin
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by JayJustus(m): 3:08am On Jul 09, 2015
na you dey answer dem na...
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by okonri(m): 3:16am On Jul 09, 2015
I imagined a phd holder of Nigerian descent would opt for a debit card, what with the liquidity ensured by the 6-figure income... But what do I know smiley?
Again the unending mortgage you are paying that gulps 25% of your income... Pardon me but are you living in a castle?

astrodome:

Duh! Credit card is used to maintain a credit history. You pay back as soon as used. Even Obama has a credit card. You apparently don't know jack about this
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by tdayof(m): 3:17am On Jul 09, 2015
JayJustus:
na you dey answer dem na...
gerarahere
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by astrodome: 3:22am On Jul 09, 2015
okonri:
I imagined a phd holder of Nigerian descent would opt for a debit card, what with the liquidity ensured by the 6-figure income... But what do I know smiley?
Again the unending mortgage you are paying that gulps 25% of your income... Pardon me but are you living in a castle?

You do not want to be using your debit card everywhere for several reasons. If you know anything about America, you should know this. Everybody I know runs credit cards and repay via online transfer. That is part of the American culture
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by kokobi99: 3:24am On Jul 09, 2015
Op, many people suffer the same thing, i wish all Nigerians will have the opportunity to travel abroad to witness the situation on ground. Why do you like fb, is better to ignore facebook and other media

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Nigerian Lady Gives Oyinbo Peppersoup In US, Then Lands In Police Station (Pics) / Inside The Kaduna-abuja Train Shared By A Twitter User (photos) / Uyo City - The Rising Colossus Of The Delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.