Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,331 members, 7,780,867 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:13 AM

Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands (60656 Views)

Angry Bus Drivers Block Benin-Lagos Road Over The Killing Of A Conductor (Pics) / Plane Carrying Brazilian Footballers Crashes In Colombia, Killing 25 People / Emirates Explains Credit Card Policy Demands For Nigerians Travelling To Brazil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by knxpin(m): 3:28am On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:
I just dropped the phone a few minutes ago after speaking with one of these old friends, got very angry after telling me he lives in Adamawa (Boko Haram) and needs money to relocate to his state of origin. This coming after I sent $700, respectively to a sister and a sister-inlaw this am

Dem wan kill me? cry cry cry cry cry cry
Old boy, your case is no different from any other person living in the USA, We all went through the same problem you are into.These people will suck you dry before you know it.They term us MUGU1 from America. They have houses, families and exotic cars in Nigeria and they still want to extort from you not minding what you goes through here in America. You open a line of business in Nigeria, they will frustrate you, actually Nigerians are the most insatiable people on earth. Please start building your own things in Nigeria, start investment for you and your children and stop sending fading to Nigeria before they the people you help would say oh he has spent 20 yrs in America and couldn't achieve anything. Don't allow your self to fall in that category.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by flyforall: 3:30am On Jul 09, 2015
Helping and being kind when you can isn't bad but when it's done to the detriment of your wellbeing then it becomes a fault.
Take a stand and be mature about it telling them know you have other financial obligations.
Your true friends/family will understand and those who won't understand simply don't want your well being.
A man who gives all he has can't/won't have enough for the rainy day
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by inze(m): 3:33am On Jul 09, 2015
sultaan:
Apparently PhD is not given for common sense if you take on their problem it is your problem so there is no need for them to solve it anymore.

Don't log in to Facebook for 3 months the block all calls from Nigeria for 3 months by then your senses would have adjusted to you being responsible to your family they all won't die in 3 months they will have to understand where their lives are if you are incapacitated for extended period. Wean them of free milk and honey.

No insult intended

- - - i don't just get it. Why do people always say "no offense" right before they offend you?. The quoted went further to question the young/old man's academic qualification while he couldn't reply a post without placing proper punctuation to make his statement understandable.

"No offense" but you sound just like them . . .

@op,
demands, wants and needs are bound to arise every now and then as long as man is alive but then again that doesn't give excuse for others to take advantage of. Glorify God more that you have the necessity to cater for your direct needs/wants and having some to spare the needs of those around and far from you. You'd need His grace more to continue, you just have to use your discretion in handling the requests of those you know/believe are genuine.

1 Like

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by okonri(m): 3:41am On Jul 09, 2015
Atlantian:
You earn 6 figure salary per month, spend 50% on mortgage and complain about spening $3k per month to less privileged ? sounds silly.

You are a PhD holder, yet you come to nairaland where mostly undergraduate students are visitors to seek for advise on common-sense issue ? Sounds silly also.

Well, my advise is to close the facebook account, throw the phone line away and buy new phone where only your wife and kid will have access to. That way, you can enjoy your 6 figure salary alone. Stingy man.

grin bros u dey vex o
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by KelvinC1(m): 3:45am On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:
Help!! Friends, family, former school mates and others are killing me with financial demands. Everyday I receive facebook (fb) messages, phone calls, email messages and messages from other communication avenues from family members, friends close and distant, school mates I have not seen in 20 years but with whom I reconnected on fb, and even random fb friends (meaning I do not know them personally but somehow we managed to be friends on fb). They all have the same story: please send me money, anything.

Each month I send nearly 3k to Nigeria and they keep asking for more.

Do they think I pluck money from trees in America?
Do they think every Nigerian in America is doing drugs or credit card fraud to make money?
Are they thinking that since Akin or Emeka made it in America (in many cases by selling drugs and doing credit card fraud), I should also make it and therefore be able to satisfy their unending demands?

How do I explain to them that I have bills (auto, mortgage, water-sewer, electricity, gas, phone, credit card) to pay. And then I have to run my family (of 4) and fuel 2 cars, and on top of that, I have to save also for the rainy day - for when kids get to college.

I am able to resist the random fb friends because I do not have any personal connection with them, but how do I scare the ones I know off without sounding rude and unhelping? I know that when you stop giving, you become an enemy.
Help! Before a fellow nairalander runs amock on the streets of America because of pressure from Nigeria cry cry cry cry

Just for disclosure: I am well-heeled in the US mid-upper middle class, earning a 6-figure pay, holds a PhD, and involved in R4D activities. But I live in a US city (name withheld) where mortgage payment alone takes 25% of my monthly income. So you can imagine that after paying all bills, I do not have tons of money left over to give out on frequent basis.

Please advise on how to handle this, Naija style grin grin. Thanks

you need that quick cure for PRIDE..
pridoline capsules.. Shikina..
How much you even get..
We that have everyTHING don't complain

2 Likes

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Nobody: 3:46am On Jul 09, 2015
When i was in Nigeria i was hustling, busting my ass just to make #300 everyday , people called me all kinds of names,no one wanted to help me, no one fuccks with me.
No girl wanted to be my girlfriend.

Then, God answered my prayers & i traveled to America, those same people who called me useless & insane are the ones begging me for money now.
Though, i bust my ass here working, i make a very good amount of money every month.
I don't have a high school diploma but i make over $6000 every month.
I work for 5 days a week at $15 per hour.

I have many Nigerian girls wanting to date me.
Nigerian guys who called me useless begging me for cars & money.
I don't block them on Facebook, i only hide my presence on Facebook & chat with those i wanna chat with.
[size=20pt]GOD FORGIVES, I DONT[/size]

1 Like

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by astrodome: 3:50am On Jul 09, 2015
KelvinC1:

How much you even get..

Oh! You have everything. Great! Can I have some of your "everything"?
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by uzzyphilip(m): 3:54am On Jul 09, 2015
My dear, the best thing is to help those who are really in critical conditions like health issues, bt any friend or relatives requesting money for either wedding,burial, school fees and u knw that your financial couldnt cope it up, simply say no, money have rules and regulations, dont spend beyond your financial power.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Nobody: 3:54am On Jul 09, 2015
KelvinC1:

How much you even get..

How much is $100 in naira ??
The car insurance, house mortgage, electric bill, water bills, health insurance he pays every month can feed your family.
You're just an [size=20pt]EP[/size] :- Enemy of Progress
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by KelvinC1(m): 4:05am On Jul 09, 2015
BabyDaddy20:

How much is $100 in naira ??
The car insurance, house mortgage, electric bill, water bills, health insurance he pays every month can feed your family.
You're just an [size=20pt]EP[/size] :- Enemy of Progress

all you have MENTIONED minus JESUS you have Just Nothing.. I have everyTHING.. I.e. JESUS..
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Nobody: 4:06am On Jul 09, 2015
From the presentation even to its illustration, There is no iota of truth in the story seeking glory. People believing when Op is deceiving.

This is a typical case of ego boosting, attention seeking, Braggadocio and Showmanship.

There are loads of people on Nairaland in reality doing same, they wouldn't come to public forum tantalizing their ego. And there are better ways to present it rather than this Epistle with loquacious title.

3 Likes

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by zeezahbee(f): 4:13am On Jul 09, 2015
BabyDaddy20:
When i was in Nigeria i was hustling, busting my ass just to make #300 everyday , people called me all kinds of names,no one wanted to help me, no one fuccks with me.
No girl wanted to be my girlfriend.

Then, God answered my prayers & i traveled to America, those same people who called me useless & insane are the ones begging me for money now.
Though, i bust my ass here working, i make a very good amount of money every month.
I don't have a high school diploma but i make over $6000 every month.
I work for 5 days a week at $15 per hour.

I have many Nigerian girls wanting to date me.
Nigerian guys who called me useless begging me for cars & money.
I don't block them on Facebook, i only hide my presence on Facebook & chat with those i wanna chat with.
[size=20pt]GOD FORGIVES, I DONT[/size]
Big daddy stop lying. How are you able to make $6k a month when u earn just $15/hr. I believe a full time job is 40hr/wk and that makes you earn just $600/wk. tax is not included ooo.

Abeg gerrahere my friend. You and the OP are same same

2 Likes

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by EbolaParasite: 4:13am On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:
Help!! Friends, family, former school mates and others are killing me with financial demands. Everyday I receive facebook (fb) messages, phone calls, email messages and messages from other communication avenues from family members, friends close and distant, school mates I have not seen in 20 years but with whom I reconnected on fb, and even random fb friends (meaning I do not know them personally but somehow we managed to be friends on fb). They all have the same story: please send me money, anything.

Do they think every Nigerian in America is doing drugs or credit card fraud to make money?
Are they thinking that since Akin or Emeka made it in America (in many cases by selling drugs and doing credit card fraud), I should also make it and therefore be able to satisfy their unending demands?

How do I explain to them that I have bills (auto, mortgage, water-sewer, electricity, gas, phone, credit card) to pay. And then I have to run my family (of 4) and fuel 2 cars, and on top of that, I have to save also for the rainy day - for when kids get to college.

I am able to resist the random fb friends because I do not have any personal connection with them, but how do I scare the ones I know off without sounding rude and unhelping? I know that when you stop giving, you become an enemy.
Help! Before a fellow nairalander runs amock on the streets of America because of pressure from Nigeria cry cry cry cry

Just for disclosure: I am well-heeled in the US mid-upper middle class, earning a 6-figure pay, holds a PhD, and involved in R4D activities. But I live in a US city (name withheld) where mortgage payment alone takes 25% of my monthly income. So you can imagine that after paying all bills, I do not have tons of money left over to give out on frequent basis.

You live in a witheld US city?? Your username has already given up your location. You should have used Toyota center or even Reliant center sef tongue

2 Likes

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Ishilove: 4:15am On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:

Change your contact address. That means emails and phone numbers. Let it be only your parents and siblings who have the numbers. Give them a very stern warning not to give anybody your number otherwise there will be hell to pay.

It is the impression you gave them that makes them run to you for money. Facebook pictures, updates, comments and so on often times don't tell the real stories.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by zeezahbee(f): 4:18am On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:

I pity your life Bro, if you think everyone is a loser, like you? grin grin grin

Owning 2 cars is not a luxury in America for a family. And even with my 6 figure pay, you see that I am still complaining.
Sorry to step in, Abeg where do you work In USa that you make 6 digit

Is it 6digit In naira or dollars

@kobe79, come get your brother
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Ndipe(m): 4:19am On Jul 09, 2015
zeezahbee:
Big daddy stop lying. How are you able to make $6k a month when u earn just $15/hr. I believe a full time job is 40hr/wk and that makes you earn just $600/wk. tax is not included ooo.

Abeg gerrahere my friend. You and the OP are same same

I said it's all story story, because some people just come on nairaland and other social media to tell lies.

1 Like

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by zeezahbee(f): 4:20am On Jul 09, 2015
EbolaParasite:

You live in a witheld US city?? Your username has already given up your location. You should have used Toyota center or even Reliant center sef tongue
Gotcha cheesy He should have used Bissonet cheesy
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by TXRunner(m): 4:25am On Jul 09, 2015
zeezahbee:

So are you meaning to say he is lying?
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by nametalkam: 4:27am On Jul 09, 2015
hold on...you PhD level in yankee and dont know how to say NO?

Really...you must in Utah or somewhere with lots of love LOL :-)

Just say NO. Also be careful when "old friends" suddenly IM you and start with stories...give them your OWN stories too.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by zeezahbee(f): 4:27am On Jul 09, 2015
InvertedHammer:

/
Good one.

How are NLers going to help him?

Na JJC dry worry OP.

People who talk the way he wrote are usually the ones that just got into US and living in fantasy land. He is probably sharing a room somewhere with a room mate.
/
Why evils ? cry cry
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by zeezahbee(f): 4:28am On Jul 09, 2015
TXRunner:

So are you meaning to say he is lying?
I was asking him a question not you. Thanks
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by beelyjay45(m): 4:29am On Jul 09, 2015
I think you should be greatful that you are able to make ends meet and still have extra to give out. Don't go out of it way to satisfy people but don't be rude to them. Give what you can afford and tell them no if you don't have.....
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by zeezahbee(f): 4:29am On Jul 09, 2015
nametalkam:
hold on...you PhD level in yankee and dont know how to say NO?

Really...you must in Utah or somewhere with lots of love LOL :-)

Just say NO. Also be careful when "old friends" suddenly IM you and start with stories...give them your OWN stories too.
Phd in Yankee doesn't mean anything. Some people with associate can earn better. All they want is experience.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by friends4ever(m): 4:32am On Jul 09, 2015
overdrive:
what's ur fb handle let me add u.

You funny dude
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Ademat7(m): 4:40am On Jul 09, 2015
Atlantian:
You earn 6 figure salary per month, spend 50% on mortgage and complain about spening $3k per month to less privileged ? sounds silly.

You are a PhD holder, yet you come to nairaland where mostly undergraduate students are visitors to seek for advise on common-sense issue ? Sounds silly also.

Well, my advise is to close the facebook account, throw the phone line away and buy new phone where only your wife and kid will have access to. That way, you can enjoy your 6 figure salary alone. Stingy man.
am sorry to say sir that you painted nairaland in a BAD IMAGE I wish u knw what image means Cc:Seun need to c ur comment here,a little is enough for the wise provided u r one

1 Like

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by deniyor: 4:41am On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:

6 figure , 3K ($20) lmaooo
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Nobody: 4:47am On Jul 09, 2015
Dude, you're nice
I'll advice you to ignore all the media things include your facebook and email.
Change your phone number.
Call only your family.
When you don't reply their message on fb and email again .they will find there way. You don't need to change your fb pages.
Anytime you want to check your fb age let it be 2:00am nigeria time.
Becareful o , those pple might be using charm on you so you can turn to their mugun o. You will always pay them
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by TXRunner(m): 4:47am On Jul 09, 2015
zeezahbee:
I was asking him a question not you. Thanks
Lol. Calm your tīts and stop asking questions as if you were there when they handed him his paycheck. Thanks
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by friends4ever(m): 4:48am On Jul 09, 2015
Guy, we're in the shoe. Delete your fb profile, change your number and your new number should be given to any of your trusted family member, warn them not to let the cat out of the bag. Secondly, tell them that you're travelling to Australia or just mention any Country of your choice that you gonna be gone for a while. I did it myself and worked for me. I believe calling every dick and harry means involving your self in unnecessary spending.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by olaopts: 4:50am On Jul 09, 2015
@OP, I'm going through the same situation. Let a brother know when you have a solution.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by kobe79: 4:54am On Jul 09, 2015
zeezahbee:

Hey Zee, even $000100/pay check na money all na six digits. grin grin
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by kobe79: 4:55am On Jul 09, 2015
TXRunner:

Lol. Calm your tīts and stop asking questions as if you were there when they handed him his paycheck. Thanks

what do u know abt high paying jobs in thr states??

ur answer will confirm wheda ur a yanshhole or the yansh itself

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16) (Reply)

Reverend Father Involved In Ghastly Accident In Bayelsa,But This Happened.Photos / Inside The Kaduna-abuja Train Shared By A Twitter User (photos) / Is Asokoro, Abuja The Best Precinct In West Africa? (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.