Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,878 members, 7,802,833 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:52 PM

Advice On Conversion From Manual Transmission To Automatic Transmission - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Advice On Conversion From Manual Transmission To Automatic Transmission (16487 Views)

5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew / Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission / Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice On Conversion From Manual Transmission To Automatic Transmission by Ocfreedom(m): 8:59am On Jul 10, 2015
Please I need an advice before i made a mistake. I have a Toyota Avensis 2007 model. Its manual transmission but i want to convert it to automatic so i want to know whether it is adviceable, the cost involved, the advantages and the disadvantages especially from people that have done it before whether in Toyota or any car model. Am just new when it comes to automobile just six months experience. I also want to change the dashboard to a new one, anyone with a price idea? Also, how do I contact Toyota company Asaba?
Re: Advice On Conversion From Manual Transmission To Automatic Transmission by DjAndroid: 9:28am On Jul 10, 2015
I ONLY SEE PEOPLE CONVERT FROM AUTO TO MANUAL.
FROM THE TALES OF AUTO TRANNY, I THINK IT IS WISE TO STICK TO YOUR MANUAL.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice On Conversion From Manual Transmission To Automatic Transmission by Kashif(m): 12:54pm On Jul 10, 2015
Ocfreedom:
Please I need an advice before i made a mistake. I have a Toyota Avensis 2007 model. Its manual transmission but i want to convert it to automatic so i want to know whether it is adviceable, the cost involved, the advantages and the disadvantages especially from people that have done it before whether in Toyota or any car model. Am just new when it comes to automobile just six months experience. I also want to change the dashboard to a new one, anyone with a price idea? Also, how do I contact Toyota company Asaba?

For the love if your sanity and pocket, please don't embark on this white elephant project.

6 Likes

Re: Advice On Conversion From Manual Transmission To Automatic Transmission by MIB1(m): 2:43pm On Jul 10, 2015
Ocfreedom:

U wan talk waka now abi. Na that motor ur village people wan use take get u

7 Likes

Re: Advice On Conversion From Manual Transmission To Automatic Transmission by idu1(m): 10:06am On Jul 11, 2015
Ocfreedom:
I never hear this one before sir...

2 Likes

Re: Advice On Conversion From Manual Transmission To Automatic Transmission by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:21am On Jul 11, 2015
Ocfreedom:

do the wise thing sell the manual and buy an automatic

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice On Conversion From Manual Transmission To Automatic Transmission by Denn(m): 2:34pm On Jul 11, 2015
It is possible to convert.

The question is if you are ready for the project.

Its not just about having money for parts...the technical understanding is critical.

First tell us about the car in question,...make and model and year.

Wiring , control units, vacuum lines, coolant lines etc...

Don't think of it being impossible....think of how to make it possible then weigh the cost against benefit

2 Likes

Re: Advice On Conversion From Manual Transmission To Automatic Transmission by sultaan(m): 8:07pm On Jul 11, 2015
E be like say OP Don bellefull if you want automatic buy am no spend extra money for mechanic. Manual is better than automatic be wise

1 Like

Re: Advice On Conversion From Manual Transmission To Automatic Transmission by Lagusta(m): 11:44pm On Jul 12, 2015
ZIMDRILL:

do the wise thing sell the manual and buy an automatic

You deserve three chicken laps...

@Op, do what he said, sell your manual and buy auto jejely....

2 Likes

Re: Advice On Conversion From Manual Transmission To Automatic Transmission by AutoCarTracker(m): 11:56pm On Jul 12, 2015
IF you have professional work on it, its gonna be perfect, its just changing the transmission unit, the bell housing will be affected too because the clutch will be removed, flywheel will be removed and replaced with a lighter flywheel and the coupled to a torque converter. its 100% doable but... its requires a well trained engineer to work on it, you might risk the vehicle when you dump it on the road side mechanic shop, it might get kicked and damaged the more. Also alot of new more sensors will have to come in; the neutral control switch, gear selectors and indicator.. many many bro... maybe you go sell off this manual and go buy a new auto transmission and rest the case.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Conversion From Manual Transmission To Automatic Transmission by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jul 13, 2015
Why would you want to convert from manual to auto , Is like converting from dead to living.

Stick with your manual or jus buy an auto car, cos its not practical.
Re: Advice On Conversion From Manual Transmission To Automatic Transmission by Ocfreedom(m): 9:16pm On Jul 16, 2015
tnx u all for ur reply. I really appreciated. I will go to toyota company nd inquiry more. If its possible, i dont intent doing it wt any mechanic rather dan toyota company. I dont want sell dat ride, dats d best ride i hav ever own. Nairaland, one big family wt divers experience. Once again, tnx

1 Like

Re: Advice On Conversion From Manual Transmission To Automatic Transmission by masties2(f): 8:40pm On Jan 14, 2016
Ocfreedom:
tnx u all for ur reply. I really appreciated. I will go to toyota company nd inquiry more. If its possible, i dont intent doing it wt any mechanic rather dan toyota company. I dont want sell dat ride, dats d best ride i hav ever own. Nairaland, one big family wt divers experience. Once again, tnx

Ha fa?,where you able to make any head way in your project. I am very interested in knowing the outcome. Pls reply. Thank you
Re: Advice On Conversion From Manual Transmission To Automatic Transmission by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jan 14, 2016
Regardless of what responses are posted, warning the thread starter against this swap, he is still determined to ruin a good car.

I have never understood why anyone would ask for advice, yet go in the opposite direction. It would appear you've already made up your mind. So why does this thread even exist? Converting from automatic to manual makes more sense, because you're removing a ton of wiring and control modules. Going from manual to automatic, you're adding a lot more, and as it's a Toyota, you'll need to replace the engine ECU and get it coded. And immobiliser issues abound. The TCU and ECU are a combined unit, not separate.

Let me give you a run down of what you'll need.

Avensis automatic transmission.
Avensis automatic transmission driveshafts.
Avensis automatic transmission wiring harness (engine bay).
Avensis automatic transmission wiring harness (passenger compartment).
Avensis automatic transmission combined TCU and ECU.
Avensis automatic transmission flexi plate
Avensis automatic transmission torque converter.
Avensis automatic transmission starter motor.
Avensis automatic transmission combination meter.
Avensis automatic transmission shift mechanism.
Avensis automatic transmission pedal box.
Avensis automatic transmission mounting bracket (left hand side).
Avensis automatic transmission radiator / ATF oil cooler.
Avensis automatic transmission exhaust down pipe / catalytic converter.
Avensis automatic transmission ignition switch with shift lock cable.
Avensis automatic transmission AT lockout relay.
Avensis automatic transmission front suspension springs.

Sundries.
A briefcase full of crisp Naira notes.
A smattering of good old fashioned common sense.
A certified technician who knows one end of a spanner from the other.

OcFreedom, I see you mentioned going via a Toyota dealership. I have no idea how dealerships work in Nigeria, but I can tell you one thing: NO Toyota dealership in the Western world would even consider this conversion. It goes against everything Toyota Motor Company stand for. They won't touch it, because they can NOT give a warranty on such a crack-brained scheme. If they get involved, and such a vehicle is involved in a crash, they could be open to litigation from every angle possible. A Toyota dealership getting involved in something like this could lose their Toyota Franchise.

And if your Toyota dealer in Nigeria decided to carry out this mad caper, using all genuine parts, and NOT cutting corners, the cost will be astronomical. More than enough to buy an Avensis of the same year, with automatic transmission.

If you were my brother, I would slap you across the face continuously until your "ECU" did a hard reset. Get your head together, and shelve this crazy dream, either keep the car as it is, or sell it in favour of an automatic model.

Good luck with your White Elephant project.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Advice On Conversion From Manual Transmission To Automatic Transmission by rockiedink(m): 5:44pm On Jan 15, 2016
Siena:
Regardless of what responses are posted, warning the thread starter against this swap, he is still determined to ruin a good car.
If you were my brother, I would slap you across the face continuously until your "ECU" did a hard reset. Get your head together, and shelve this crazy dream, either keep the car as it is, or sell it in favour of an automatic model.

Bruv! You're wicked!!! I'm still laughing!!! grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Advice On Conversion From Manual Transmission To Automatic Transmission by dhemmyhardy(m): 8:59am On Jan 16, 2016
[quote author=Siena post=41981442][color=Blue]

Thank God you are not sienna brother you should receive a better hard reset by now. Lol.........can't stop laughing
Re: Advice On Conversion From Manual Transmission To Automatic Transmission by Ocfreedom(m): 7:58pm On Jan 16, 2016
Thanks. I didn't carry on the project cos its not workable
Re: Advice On Conversion From Manual Transmission To Automatic Transmission by Vincente74: 8:30am On Mar 21, 2017
Ocfreedom:
Thanks. I didn't carry on the project cos its not workable

Thank God you didn't.I wanted to embark on same project until i saw the advice on your post.
Re: Advice On Conversion From Manual Transmission To Automatic Transmission by leoblinx: 1:52pm On Nov 29, 2017
Nice one. Me too. Now I know better. Its a bad idea. I'll just sell my manual, save up more money and change to auto. shocked (y)
Re: Advice On Conversion From Manual Transmission To Automatic Transmission by fieldtech: 1:01am On May 20, 2018
Hi everyone! Please can anyone tell me if it's possible to change an automatic drive Camry '96 to manual gear easily and successfully? How much can it cost. Thanks
Re: Advice On Conversion From Manual Transmission To Automatic Transmission by siempere(m): 4:52pm On Nov 15, 2020
Here we go again.

�‍♂️�‍♂️
Re: Advice On Conversion From Manual Transmission To Automatic Transmission by Kelvin30286063(m): 4:04am On Nov 16, 2020
Ocfreedom:
Bro don't do it. If you must, don't do it in Nigeria. Ship it out to Toyota head office in Japan and have it done there cheesy grin or you will cry hot tears.

On a more serious note, the cost of doing it is enough to add money join and buy another car.
Also there is a 90% chance that it won't work and reserving back will be almost impossible so its not worth the risk. Best thing to do is sell the manual, add that money you want to use for converting it and buy an automatic.

I should say that what you want to do is realistically possible but not in Nigeria (dollars wise and skills wise)
Re: Advice On Conversion From Manual Transmission To Automatic Transmission by BamBamK: 4:38pm On Nov 16, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

Bro don't do it. If you must, don't do it in Nigeria. Ship it out to Toyota head office in Japan and have it done there cheesy grin or you will cry hot tears.

On a more serious note, the cost of doing it is enough to add money join and buy another car.
Also there is a 90% chance that it won't work and reserving back will be almost impossible so its not worth the risk. Best thing to do is sell the manual, add that money you want to use for converting it and buy an automatic.

I should say that what you want to do is realistically possible but not in Nigeria (dollars wise and skills wise)

Gazzuzz did same on his avensis years ago... rocked da car... dunno if he still has it but it was one hell of a rugged horse to da chap
Re: Advice On Conversion From Manual Transmission To Automatic Transmission by ANIUHA: 9:56pm On Mar 16, 2022
There is nothing wrong with the project, it easy and possible. ,come to Zuba Abuja people are converting manual cars to automatic and no issues.

(1) (Reply)

Effect Of Bad Shock Absorbers On Cars / Tips When Your Car Is On Fire - FRSC / PAN Nigeria Unveils 301-wildfire Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.