Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,971 members, 7,803,218 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 11:38 AM

Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. (168027 Views)

Stylish Oluwo Of Iwo Shows Off His Swags As He Strolls With Other Kings In Osun / List Of First Class Kings In Nigeria By ThisTrend / 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by treasuremi1(m): 9:31pm On Jul 13, 2015
I enjoy this thread and kudos to dose trying assiduously to showcase their village king. I can't help but laugh. Funny comments and responses.
Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jul 13, 2015
scholes0:

The Itsekiris say the town's original name is Iwerre before it was corrupted by colonialists to 'Warri"
Also, Since you say Warri has two aboriginal populations, the Itsekiri and the Urhobo, what is the stake of the Ijaws in the matter? or are they just "participating" in the fight, to benefit from the ensuing fracas?
That's the origin of the WARRI CRISIS of 1997... The Ijaws definitely are old age occupants who the government created a LGA for {Abacha} but the Itsekiri disagree as the citing of the headquarters at the Ijaw concentration saying it's their land so the administration bloc should be among their people... The Ijaws are JUST a microcosm so no much say...
Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by tolexy007(m): 9:35pm On Jul 13, 2015
and where is Deji of Akure?
Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by LKO(m): 9:43pm On Jul 13, 2015
Freemanan:

Sediso will be glad...
WHERE is your location?

U said u are half Uvwie, and u nor even fear to address the Ovie with his name Sediso so casually (Sideso properly put). Lol

Ovie of Uvwie may ur reign be long! HRM Emmanuel Sideso. Abbe 1, JP, OON
May ur reign continue to make Uvwie d heart of Delta.
Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by scholes0(m): 9:46pm On Jul 13, 2015
Freemanan:

That's the origin of the WARRI CRISIS of 1997... The Ijaws definitely are old age occupants who the government created a LGA for {Abacha} but the Itsekiri disagree as the citing of the headquarters at the Ijaw concentration saying it's their land so the administration bloc should be among their people... The Ijaws are JUST a microcosm so no much say...

interesting.
So what is your take on the entire issue?
was it right for the government to situate the headquarters of a new Warri Local government in an Ijaw settlement?
Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jul 13, 2015
scholes0:

interesting.
So what is your take on the entire issue?
was it right for the government to situate the headquarters of a new Warri Local government in an Ijaw settlement?
WARRI SOUTH WEST LGA....
I didn't see anything wrong with it. It was to give them a sense of belonging here...
Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by scholes0(m): 9:54pm On Jul 13, 2015
Freemanan:

WARRI SOUTH WEST LGA....
I didn't see anything wrong with it. It was to give them a sense of belonging here...

I see...
But like you said earlier- the land was ancestrally Itsekiri land... Moreso, the Ijaws already had their own local governments. What will happen, if the government chooses to create a new LG in the Burutu area, and put the headquarters in a small Itsekiri settlement? I am sure the Ijaws won't take that lightly.
I personally feel/think the Itsekiris are being bullied by their larger neighbors.
Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by Sacramento4real(m): 9:56pm On Jul 13, 2015
The Dein of Agbor comes first before Omo' no Oba?OP,You must be a comedian*In Ogus voice*
Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jul 13, 2015
scholes0:

I see...
But like you said earlier- the land was ancestrally Itsekiri land... Moreso, the Ijaws already had their own local governments. What will happen, if the government chooses to create a new LG in the Burutu area, and put the headquarters in a small Itsekiri settlement? I am sure the Ijaws won't take that lightly.
I personally feel/think the Itsekiris are being bullied by their larger neighbors.
Lol.. It's more complicated than that Mate
Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by Nobody: 10:00pm On Jul 13, 2015
Sacramento4real:
The Dein of Agbor comes first before Omo' no Oba?OP,You must be a comedian*In Ogus voice*
Not in their order sir
Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by leaderprosper: 10:03pm On Jul 13, 2015
I beg who kings help Bleep you all king of the local beef.I don't even know the problem of this country.... We're was all this strong chief and kings they Call their self when the country is going asray now.......Bleep Bleep you all.........angry mood......[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jul 13, 2015
LKO:

U said u are half Uvwie, and u nor even fear to address the Ovie with his name Sediso so casually (Sideso properly put). Lol

Ovie of Uvwie may ur reign be long! HRM Emmanuel Sideso. Abbe 1, JP, OON
May ur reign continue to make Uvwie d heart of Delta.
Don't mind me.
I have no respect for the crown...
I will make some sacrifices tonight grin

1 Like

Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by scholes0(m): 10:06pm On Jul 13, 2015
Freemanan:

Lol.. It's more complicated than that Mate

Educate a bro here. smiley
I am pretty sure the Itsekiris are being bullied.... if they were not, the Ijaw militants boys wouldn't be continually frustrating efforts to build the Ogidigben Gas revolution industrial park, just because the multi billion Dollar project is on Itsekiri land.
I call that jealousy... lol
Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by Nowenuse: 10:09pm On Jul 13, 2015
Very useless post.

On what basis do u classify these as the most powerful?
is it based on the largeness of their territory?
The population of their subjects/followers?
or their historical greatness? @OP

How can kings like Shehu of Borno, Gbon gwom Jos, Attah of Igala land, Aku Uka of Wukari and Lamido Adamawa not be here and u are having the likes of Obi of Agbor?
Tell me in what aspect does a common king like Obi of Agbor who is king over just one small town in Delta state surpasses any of the kings i mentioned.

The Shehu of Borno is d ruler over the whole large Borno state and by extension the whole Kanem-bornu land which includes Yobe state and u are saying the kings of just some small towns are more powerful.

The OP of this post proved that he is not well travelled and widely read at all. Nigeria is bigger than what u think.
No single King from the middlebelt region or the North east and u are calling this a list.
Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by scholes0(m): 10:12pm On Jul 13, 2015
loool, pretty Ironic when Igbos say they have no King, but they are all rushing in hordes to like the picture of the Obi of Onitsha ....
Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by fr3do(m): 10:18pm On Jul 13, 2015
ogbonti:

Yes ooo, how can the obi of agbor come before oba of benin? The igbos never had kings until 1906. They only had title holders..... that was why indirect rule failed massively in the east.. please before you bash me, read your history books very well... now every nollywood movie I see is about some royal igwe and his prince in some phantom kingdom grin lol

Some Western Igbo (Anioma) communities have al2ays had Kings but there were very effective checks and balances to prevent tyranny.
Most Eastern Igbo communities disallowed kings as a whole and practised democracy in its purest form.
Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by Bonapart(m): 10:54pm On Jul 13, 2015
Freemanan:

Leaving it
and you lose out on going to Heaven
Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jul 13, 2015
Bonapart:
and you lose out on going to Heaven
Grow up Mate..
Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by mkoabiola: 11:13pm On Jul 13, 2015
What of oluwo of iwo
Na my oba b dat ooo
Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by mechanics(m): 11:36pm On Jul 13, 2015
FREEEMANAN:
Although practising a presidential system of government,
the important roles played by the monarchs to the
development of their societies and Nigeria as a whole
cannot be overlooked. In this list we take a look at 10 most
powerful Nigerian monarchs that are currently on a throne.

http://kokofeed.com/2014/11/18/10-powerful-kings-nigeria/

cc lalasticlala ishilove

1. EMIR OF KANO
The Emir of Kano is the head of the Kano Emirate and the
Emirate was formed in 1805 during the Fulani Jihad, when
the old Hausa Sultante of Kano became subject to the
Sokoto Caliphate. His Royal Highness Mallam Muhammad
Sanusi II is the current Emir of Kano after succeeding Alhaji
Dr. Ado Abdullahi Bayero who ascended the throne in 1963
and ruled till his death on June 6, 2014. Malam Sanusi
before his ascension to the throne was a successful banker
and the former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria. The
Banker, a global financial intelligence magazine has
conferred on him two awards for the global award for
Central Bank Governor of the Year, as well as for Central
Bank Governor of the Year for Africa. TIME magazine also
listed him on its list of most influential people of 2011
was priviledge to be in one of d district head's house headed by one of d sons of d late emir 4 an assignment in Kano, dat position is very powerful.
Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jul 13, 2015
Freemanan:
No
you are probably not a Nigerian
Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by Nobody: 11:44pm On Jul 13, 2015
Brave86:

you are probably not a Nigerian
I am.
Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by Nobody: 12:10am On Jul 14, 2015
Freemanan:
I am.
Then you must be a victim of territorial confinement
Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by ademusiwa5: 2:21am On Jul 14, 2015
The author most be an illiterate person. Alafin is only a Duke, the onni of ile ife is only a Duke. The oba of benin is only a Duke. Oba of lagos. Is only a Duke all obas are dukes

I am going to show people old picture.

I am the emperor of the country of western Nigeria. When I told you, they were dukes. You never believe me , till Jonathan good luck open inside aso rock and you saw 2 flags.

I am the emperor that why I know so much. I will tell you about my family history.

I don't live a famous life or fly private jet like pastor adeboye or oyedepo. But by international law. I am their oga.

The problem pastor oyedepo has with the UK. Is something that if pastor oyedepo write me an apology letter. Unhalf of the independent country of the kingdom of western Nigeria. I will inform the queen of England. Of a need to pardon pastor oyedepo. All this people are dukes

But pastor oyedepo does not know I am his oga. Not buhari. Voting inside the country of western Nigeria is considered oversea voting. So I am the one pastor oyedepo need to get pardon in the united kingdom.

That why I have been the one who have been dealing with the international community.
Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by Nobody: 2:44am On Jul 14, 2015
FREEEMANAN:
5. DEIN OF AGBOR
Agbor also known as Ominije as it was founded by Omini
from Aguleri and it is an Igbo town in Delta state. Agbor was
once affiliated with the Benin Empire before Benin was
conquered by the British. Sitting on the throne is Benjamin
Ikenchuku Keagborekuzi who goes by the title of “Dein of
Agbor” which is the name of his ruling house (the traditional
ruler is usually referred to as Eze or Obi). He was crowned
king just two years and four months after his birth following
the death of his father making him the youngest monarch
ever to ascend a royal throne according to the Guiness Book
of Records in 1981. Following his coronation, he left the
shores of Nigeria to pursue his academics and returned to
Agbor in 2001. He was appointed the fourth Chancellor of
the University of Ilorin by former president Olusegun
Obasanjo in 2006 making him the youngest vice chancellor
of a federal university. He is Officer in the Order of the
Crown, Belgium and also the Vice-Chairman, Delta State
Traditional Rulers Council.

OP JUST SHUT UP WITH UR CRAP.
1. AGBOR IS NOT IGBO
2. OMINIJE IS REFER TO INDEGENES OF AGBOR-NTA IN IHU-IYASE CLAN OF AGBOR KINGDOM. You can also call then "igure".

Meanwhile, Dein of Agbor is not as powerful as other kings metioned. Agbor is my town and your information about Agbor is all lies.

The Hierachy of rulership in Agbor kingdom are as follows:-
1. Dein of Agbor (king)
2. Olihe (Jim ovia family the ownwer of Zenith Bank)
3. Iyase (the cheif of Ihu-iyase)
4. Ozomor (the cheif of Ihu Ozomor)
5. Ubo (cheif of Ekuku Agbor)
6. Owee
And many others..........YEYE op. DOES ANY OF THE NAMES MENTIONED ABOVE LOOK LIKE IGBO? you people should get fact before writing to avoid confusing or deceiving people with your Igbo mentality of claiming towns and cities.

2 Likes

Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by Agmohd008(m): 4:42am On Jul 14, 2015
FREEEMANAN:
Although practising a presidential system of government,
the important roles played by the monarchs to the
development of their societies and Nigeria as a whole
cannot be overlooked. In this list we take a look at 10 most
powerful Nigerian monarchs that are currently on a throne.

http://kokofeed.com/2014/11/18/10-powerful-kings-nigeria/

cc lalasticlala ishilove

1. EMIR OF KANO
The Emir of Kano is the head of the Kano Emirate and the
Emirate was formed in 1805 during the Fulani Jihad, when
the old Hausa Sultante of Kano became subject to the
Sokoto Caliphate. His Royal Highness Mallam Muhammad
Sanusi II is the current Emir of Kano after succeeding Alhaji
Dr. Ado Abdullahi Bayero who ascended the throne in 1963
and ruled till his death on June 6, 2014. Malam Sanusi
before his ascension to the throne was a successful banker
and the former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria. The
Banker, a global financial intelligence magazine has
conferred on him two awards for the global award for
Central Bank Governor of the Year, as well as for Central
Bank Governor of the Year for Africa. TIME magazine also
listed him on its list of most influential people of 2011

Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by Omotayor123(f): 4:57am On Jul 14, 2015
Freemanan where you put Alaake of Egba Land
Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by zendy: 6:06am On Jul 14, 2015
I wonder why you did not add "Igwe Orizu II" of Nnewi?
Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by zendy: 6:55am On Jul 14, 2015
ogbonti:

Yes ooo, how can the obi of agbor come before oba of benin? The igbos never had kings until 1906. They only had title holders..... that was why indirect rule failed massively in the east.. please before you bash me, read your history books very well... now every nollywood movie I see is about some royal igwe and his prince in some phantom kingdom grin lol

Quite true. In the olden days, there were no kings in Igbo land. Villages were autonomous and were run by a council of elders or "Ichies" who made decisions. Even this council had no leader. It was the British that appointed the first warrant Chiefs in Igbo land That culture of having no leaders or kings in Igbo land still lives with Igbos till today and it's one of the reasons Igbos find it hard to conform to authority.
Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by Nobody: 7:02am On Jul 14, 2015
Omotayor123:
Freemanan where you put Alaake of Egba Land
Him palace my love...
Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by Nobody: 7:07am On Jul 14, 2015
Brave86:

Then you must be a victim of territorial confinement
I doubt Mate
Re: Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. by smashad(m): 9:20am On Jul 14, 2015
wat abt d Attah of igala

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Yorubas, Please Help Me Translate These Words. / If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! / Most Frequently Used Insult In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.