Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,890 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:04 AM

Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria (98007 Views)

When We Say Dentistry And Dental Surgery........its Another Tougher Ministry / How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? / Optometry, Dentistry And Pharmancy What Is The Duration Of Study (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by dapsondou(m): 7:18pm On Jul 14, 2015
Nice write up @adahogwuche. I think you should open a thread for vet students. I don't think I've seen any on Nairaland.
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by otiigba1(m): 8:52pm On Jul 14, 2015
If you are a qualified Dentist in nigeria come to the UK here, the Nhs will chop your hands off with a Job, i hear its 1000 pounds a weeks pay, 1000 pounds = 340000 naira a week even for agency Doctors (dental) i wished i had learnt when i was in school embarassed was busy chasing after girls

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Walexz02(m): 10:12pm On Jul 14, 2015
Qassy4all:
You can go to the Dental Clinic,UCH...or Smile Dental Clinic at Bodija
Thank you very much. I may visited the one in bodija, I am not going to uch though
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Smithkline555: 11:47pm On Jul 14, 2015
adahogwuche:
In response to my learned colleague; Dentist
Dear writer while I appreciate your eye opening write up. I think you may have gotten some things wrong and i thought to shed light.

Are human medics and Dentists actually the only ones tagged health care providers in the traditional sense?
The answer is a big NO.
Veterinary Doctors today are as informed if not more informed than dentists and are also tagged health care providers if not at par with the human doctors in terms of knowledge and contributions to the society. While I do admit that our immediate society lacks certain knowledge and orientation, it is important to bring certain basis to the fore. Now you rightly said, a Dentist isn’t a physician but a surgeon. A veterinarian is on the other hand both a physician and a surgeon.

Who is a veterinary doctor and what does it take to be one?

A veterinary doctor spends 6 years in the university to attain that title. In similarity to dentistry and human medicine 100 level is basically made up of basic science courses of physics, chemistry and biology. Subsequent levels see them study anatomy, physiology, bacteriology, virology, immunology, entomology, protozoology, helminthology, pharmacology and toxicology, theriogeniology and obstetrics, dentistry, optometry, internal medicine and surgery. After the pre-clinicals , a Veterinarian proceeds to clinics after the 4th year and they do clinic rotations in small animal internal medicine(dogs and cats), large animal internal medicine(ruminants, horses, all wildlife), microbiology, theriogeniology and production, surgery, parasitology, ambulatory medicine and poultry. Also like in human medicine, the final degree is unclassified and you either pass and graduate as a doctor or you fail and re-sit or repeat. Upon graduation you automatically become a member of the Veterinary Council of Nigeria (VCN) and register with the Nigerian Veterinary Medical Association(NVMA) and you are then issued a license and a VCN Number identical to you only . licenses are renewed each year. In service (NYSC) Vets CANNOT teach. You are posted to Vet clinics or establishments and you are paid an allowance same as a human medics and usually above regular corps members. You can also do locum d private practice around to earn more.
What is the similarity between the veterinarian and a human medic/ dentist

They all bear the name DR. A lot of people may not know but animals share the same body anatomy and physiology with humans. All muscles present in humans are present in man and even a lot more in animals. The basic physiology and functioning of humans and animals are also the same with even more complexities and variations in animals. It is worthy to also note that all procedures carried out on humans are also done in animals. Veterinary establishments and teaching hospitals are able to do surgeries and procedures like x-rays, ultrasounds, CT scans, ECG, EMG, and similar tests. Laboratory tests involving blood , stool, urine, biopsies and the likes are also carried out on animals. Human and animal diseases are also similar and treated alike. All drugs used in humans are also used on animals and though not all human drugs are licensed for use in animals and not all animal drugs are licensed for human use. drugs are often shared between both professions. All other fields of dentistry, optometry, gynaecology and the likes are also similar. A vet studies as much medicine as a human medic and more.
Is Veterinary medicine more difficult?
The answer is more of a Yes than a maybe.

Why?
The reasons are numerous. You should know that all institutions that offer the course has veterinary medicine as the course with by far the highest number of credit units to pass before graduation in any Nigerian university. This means that the work load of a Veterinary Doctor is much more than that of a dentist or human medic. While human deals in a single specie, a veterinarian is able to study anatomy, physiology, reproduction and medicine of different species ranging from domestic animals like dog, cattle, chicken, horses to lions, tigers, crocodiles, ostriches e.t.c. The absence of supporting professions in Nigeria like veterinary nurse, pharmacists and dentists also mean a veterinarian does a lot of pharmacology/toxicology, microbiology , optometry and even dentistry. The risk involved in animals means additional techniques are taught. While a human medic graduates more as a physician with basic knowledge of surgery except during specializations, a Veterinary graduate is a certified physician/surgeon and can carry out complex surgeries from Caesarian sections, orthopedic surgeries, graft and basic plastic/cosmetic surgeries and the likes. A veterinarian is also thoroughly trained to determine cause of death at post mortem and is a trained gross pathologist. It goes on…
Do they know that much/ Do they use basic medical tools?

A veterinarian is a jack of all trade in medicine and knows a lot and YES, stethoscopes, thermometers, surgical wears and kits and other kits are also used by a veterinary doctor.

Can a Veterinary Doctor attend to a human?

A vet is not licensed to treat a human being however , he knows enough to advice and make recommendations. During the 2nd world war and in extreme conditions of human medic shortage, vets may be asked to help in various capacities.
Can a Human Doctor attend to an animal?

No, but a human medics knowledge of medicine means he also has a fair knowledge of certain things in animal medicine.
Is veterinary practice lucrative in Nigeria?

Nigeria is still growing and the profession like many others has challenges. However, in government, Veterinary doctors are employed at the same entry level and paid the same salary as Human medics ahead of all other allied health courses like pharmacy and optometry (Not sure of dentistry). In the academics, a Veterinarian usually earns more than human medics based on certain hazard and risk allowances. In private practice however, it is a lot tougher for a Vet as Nigerians are only beginning to learn to value animals , but vets are millionaires from handling Fulani cattle and large farms with birds, and other commercial far. Even dog and cat practice can fetch lots of cash. A Vets knowledge also means that various pharmaceutical companies employ vets as reps. Pet feed companies, poultry feed companies, banks with agric loan schemes, colleges of agriculture and NGOs are others. NAFDAC(vet drug dept.) , the Nigerian armed forces (Military horse units and bioterrorism unit),Police /Civil Defense (police dog unit), Prisons (Prison farms) are amongst vet employers. A vet is always employed on one or two levels above a normal degree holder which is the same for human doctors. All universities with veterinary medicine have teaching hospitals and are employers of labour. In the last 2 to 3 years, many federal institutions are opening vet faculties in addition to what was available(over 8 veterinary faculties before)and are looking at the future prospects(UNILORIN, UNIJOS, UNIBEN, some Universities of Agriculture and Private universities). No school wants to be left behind. Countries in Africa e.g. south Africa, Botswana , Kenya survive on wildlife and animal farming. Oil is falling, agriculture is on the rise. Self employment is the inn thing , Veterinary knowledge makes you a potential farmer and business man/woman as you can raise you own animals. Only a Veterinary and a Pharmacist license is recognized for drug imports for animals and humans respectively. Human medic licenses are not used for drug import.
Do Vets only treat animals?

No, veterinarians are also core indirectly human health providers. Most countries have animal and human health agencies working side by side. Over 70% of diseases in humans in the last decade have come from animals and Vets play huge roles. Today in some EU countries, even in human hospitals for every few number of human doctors a Vet Dr. is attached(e.g. 5:1) to assist with handling zoonotic diseases(i.e. disease from animals). Vets are also needed in health agencies and public health institutions like WHO, CDC, FAO, OIE and the likes both home and abroad. In Nigeria each state has veterinary clinic and each abattoir in a state has a Vet Dr. attached to inspect slaughtered meat and prevent disease transfer to humans. Diseased animals are condemned or diseased body parts removed to prevent disease, so a veterinarian is out there saving our lives every-day. You will be surprised at how many diseases like tuberculosis a Veterinarian sees every day and saves someone from getting. Asides these, food processing agencies, environmental health and sanitation and water process inspections and supervision are roles veterinarians handle. Public health, Disease surveillance and eradication are other roles. Most significant medical researches done in Nigeria emanate from Veterinary medicine. You will find more Veterinary professors in universities that human medic professors due to this (factor in no of institutions offering the course). Today, the bigger world approach medicine as “one health”; Human health, Animal health and Environmental health. That is the only way to succeed in health issues(You can Google the “one health” concept)

Finally,Always take your animals to a vet for check up. dogs should be routinely vaccinated and livestock handled properly. an unhealthy animal means you are at risk too and animals have feelings you should consider.

Veterinary medicine is a noble profession. The title is DVM (doctor of veterinary medicine) and you are a doctor in your own right, respected in the society and can make a lot for yourself. No job is a bed of roses, nor perfect but certain professions give you self-dignity respect and can make you comfortable. So much to still to say

You may reach me on Adah Ogwuche(Facebook) or adah.ogwuche@gmail.com for further enquiries.
why don't u create another thread for vets bruv.... We talking human medicine here (head & neck).

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by ashhascash: 2:41pm On Jul 15, 2015
Can sum1 please shed light on how to practice abroad, lyk the dental licensure exam in d Uk or US.

2 Likes

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Drdonzeez(m): 4:27pm On Jul 16, 2015
Dentistry is more voluminous and tougher..check
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jul 18, 2015
dapsondou:
@ pyramidsclinic, UI's quota is now 40
Thanks for the info bro
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jul 30, 2015
pyramidsclinic:
Q: What is dentistry?
A: Dentistry is the branch of medicine that is involved in the study, diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases, disorders and conditions of the oral cavity, commonly in the dentition but also the oral mucosa, and of adjacent and related structures and tissues, particularly in the maxillofacial (jaw and facial) area.Although primarily associated with teeth among the general public, the field of dentistry or dental medicine is thus not limited to odontology (odoús, "tooth"wink – the study of the structure, development, and abnormalities of the teeth. It is the study of the mouth and its disorders and diseases.

It encompasses treatment of the face, jaw, cheek, structures in the mouth including teeth, lips, tongue, palates, gums, saliva and salivary glands and other procedures.

Dentistry is a very wide aspect of medicine with about ten subspecialties. Other aspects of medicine that can be likened to dentistry are internal medicine, peadiatrics, surgery. These aspects all have subspecialties too.

Dentists are surgeons BUT not physicians.

This is because eight out of ten times you visit a dentist, he will work on you (be it minor/major surgery) that is why you will be given a Bachelor of Dental Surgery degree (BDS/BChD) upon graduation. Similarly, graduates of medicine
whom have specialized in surgery, ophthalmology, neurosurgery, O&G, pediatrics and other surgery related field like anaesthesia are not physicians.

Q: How can I become a qualified dental doctor?

A: To become a qualified dentist you need to have five O level credit in English, mathematics, physics, chemistry and biology and fulfill the UTME and PostUTME requirements of your chosen school. Please note that we have nine schools presently offering the course in Nigeria with very few quota system. Therefore prospective candidates must prepare well to meet up with the cutoff mark as it is usually the highest after medicine ( there were cases in the past when it was higher than medicine in some schools) in the College of Medicine/Health Sciences of your school. The following schools are currently offering the course with their students quota in bracket; UNIBADAN(30), UNILAG(40), OAUIFE(25), UNIBEN(25), UNIPORT(15), UNN(15), UNIMAID(15), LASU(10) and BUKano(10). You can also apply for DE with your first degree with a second class upper division of any biological sciences or basic medical sciences discipline.

Q: What should I expect during my training?

A: Dentistry is for six years for UTME and five years for direct entry.Your first year will see you through advanced physics, chemistry,
biology, mathematics(not all schools) and general studies. This is going to be the easiest class in your undergraduate days. Each school has
criteria for promoting to the next class as their will be no room for carry over, any student found wanting will repeat the class or be withdrawn. Your 200 and 300 levels will be basically anatomy,physiology, biochemistry, pharmacology and pathology to be learnt together with your medical colleagues. There is no grading system that is, no A or B will be awarded this is because after completion of your course you wont be given first class or second class, your certificate will state PASS. However after each final examination you take at the end of each level, it is either you PASS or RESIT or REPEAT or WITHDRAW. In addition to those courses dental students will be taught oral biology, science of dental materials, dental operative techniques, prosthetic techniques in 200 and 300 levels. Then you will write your first professional examination marking the end of pre-clinical. In 400 level you will be taught and undergone postings in the different specialties of medicine, and that of surgery, you will also be taught and undergone postings in pharmacology and all aspects of pathology including morbid anatomy, chemical pathology, haematology & immunology, microbiology & parasitology, histopathology together with your medical colleagues. Then you will write your second professional examination. In 500 and 600 levels you will be taught and undergone postings in community medicine together with your medical colleagues. In addition, Dental students will be taught and undergone postings in oral radiology, oral pathology, oral & maxillofacial surgery, restorative dentistry, paediatric dentistry, preventive & community dentistry, dental therapeutics, endodontics, oral medicine. Then you will write your third professional examination and be inducted by MDCN.

Q: Where can I do my internship?

A: I have heard newly graduated medical doctors lament on where to do internship before their 24 months temporary license is due. This is so because we have medical schools all over the countries (federal/states/privates) with new ones coming up every year. This lack of space and limited time has forced some to do the internship as supernumerary meaning that they will do the one year internship without pay. This is different for dental doctors as there are more accredited hospitals for dentists than the numbers of dentists graduating every year. You can check MDCN site for a list of eligible places.

Q: Where will I serve during NYSC service year?

A: As a dentist you are a precious tool in the hand of our FG so be prepared to work during this service year because we have less than 2000 practicing dentists in a country of over 160 million people, so be ready to work in an hospital possibly attending to patients spread over 5 LGA.The beauty of it is you will be paid more than fellow corpers and possibly make more money. Also you will get to practice your skill fully without supervision and that makes you better than your friends who will be posted to schools.

Q: Can I get a well paid job after school?

A: YES, if you want to work as a dental officer, many dentists are begged to stay back after service due to the extreme shortage of manpower in the profession especially in the northern part of the country. you may also decide to pursue your residency. The choice is yours.

Q: Is there hope in private practice after school?

A: YES, contrary to people’s opinion that private dental clinic will not be patronized the reverse is actually the case as there are increasing awareness among Nigerians on the need for quality oral health. There are a good number of private dental clinics in the country.

Q: How do I specialize and what are the requirements?

A: Specialization in Dentistry require one to pass the exam of Faculty of Dental surgery of National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria or West African College of Surgeons and then proceed to a teaching hospital where they offer any of the postgraduate programmes in dentistry. The specialties are PAEDIATRIC DENTISTRY, ENDODONTICS, ORAL MEDICINE, ORAL&MAXILLOFACIAL SURGERY, PROSTHODONTICS, PREVENTIVE DENTISTRY, COMMUNITY DENTISTRY, DENTAL PUBLIC HEALTH, ORAL PATHOLOGY, PERIODONTOLOGY, ORAL RADIOLOGY, ORTHODONTICS & DENTOFACIAL ORTHOPEDICS and FORENSIC DENTISTRY.

Q: If I decide to do medicine in future or want to specialize under medicine/surgery is it possible?

A: YES, you will be required to do 500 and 600 levels of medicine which will be around 22 months ( approximately 2 years) and you will become a holder of MBBS/MBChB but please know that your BDS/BChD degree will be withdrawn from you forever which means you can no longer specialize in dentistry or practice it or be referred to as a dentist.

Q: Can a dentist head a hospital or any medical organization?

A: YES, a dentist is given the same treatment as a medical doctor and can as such be the head of a hospital. A dental consultant who has attained the position of a professor can become the CMD of a hospital or provost of a college of medicine.

Q: Who will I work with in the dental ward/hospital?

A: A dentist will work with a general nurse/dental nurse, dental technologist, dental therapist, lab scientist, radiographer, medical records staff.

Q: Do people visit dentists in Nigeria?

A: YES, the figure is improving and people now see a dentist more than you can actually think of.

Q: Are dentists too life savers?

A: YES, they are life savers too because most diseases in the body will either have oral symptoms whereby it can be detected early enough by
a dentist. Some diseases even have oral manifestations that can only be managed by a dentist. Also diseases such as oral cancer, tonsillitis amongst others can only be managed effectively by a dentist.

Q: Is it possible to have emergency cases in a dental ward/hospital/clinic?

A:YES, though it is not a common occurrence but there are actually a few ones. Take for example a person with a tongue/lip cut that is surely for oral & maxillofacial surgeons or a child with a pin prick in the mouth that is why we have peadiatric dentists too.

Q: Is dentistry tougher than medicine?

A:MAYBE, there is no yardstick for toughness although most foreign forums (American) I have read, people are with the opinion of dentistry
being tougher due to the dexterity of hands and eyes involved. Dentistry can be tougher initially (parts 1-4) due to the fact that you do
dental courses in addition to what medical students will do. But in 500 & 600 levels medicine too can be seen as voluminous when you think of
the number of cases you will come across but dentistry is sure not anywhere less voluminous as you combine clinical postings with
patients care, lectures and practical too are on with dental aspects of basic medical sciences fields you will be taught in parts 5 & 6. So in my
opinion it is indecisive.

Q: Can I admit patients other than dental cases?
A: NO, you cannot so as not to lose your license but you can offer excellent medical advice to your patients and make proper referrals.

Q: Does a dentist use sphygmomanometer, stethoscope, thermometer and others?

A: YES, you make use of everything right from your part4.

Q: What are my prospects outside the country?

A: Dentistry is a promising profession outside Nigeria. According to Daily NewsUSA published on December 19, 2012 for top 100
professions in the United States dentistry ranks first with a median salary of US$142740 (NGN22.8 million with $1=#160). This is to tell you
that not only Nigeria has prospects for graduates of dentistry.

Q: Is the profession not boring and can we call it a ministry like medicine?

A: YES, the profession is interesting because it gives smile to people’s faces. When you walk into your office and your patient is wailing of
toothache (commonest ailment) then you perform the magic and the patient is beaming and smiling again tell me if this is boring? Couples
who can no longer kiss each other again or communicate effectively because a partner has got mouth odour, then you invite the affected
partner over and treat his/her condition, he/she is full of smile and his/her marriage is back on track and he/she will be grateful now tell
me if what you are doing is boring? Tell me if dentistry is not a ministry?

THANK YOU FOR READING

ALL ENQUIRIES SHOULD BE FORWARDED TO:
pyramidsinvestment@yahoo.com

Abeq op I feel confused wen some sch called it Dentistry while some called it Dental surgery like UI.. Expanciate on this bro is their any Diffs attached to it and wat is the pay for dentistry durinq NYSC nd After..
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:34am On Jul 31, 2015
Donabydeco:

Abeq op I feel confused wen some sch called it Dentistry while some called it Dental surgery like UI.. Expanciate on this bro is their any Diffs attached to it and wat is the pay for dentistry durinq NYSC nd After..
Faculty of Dentistry, department of dental surgery. You get B.D.S (bachelor of dental surgery) when you graduate!
About the pay, You are a certified Doctor(surgeon) you get paid as a doctor.

2 Likes

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:18am On Aug 01, 2015
FredBloggs:
Faculty of Dentistry, department of dental surgery. You get B.D.S (bachelor of dental surgery) when you graduate!
About the pay, You are a certified Doctor(surgeon) you get paid as a doctor.

Thanks bro.. Can u plz lists all other course fall under Faculty of Dentistry except Dept of Dental surgery..

1 Like

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Zico5(m): 5:44pm On Aug 29, 2015
Whao, this is nice. My nephew just met the cut off for dentistry. I ll use this to enlighten him to know what he is in for. This forum is the best
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Tholuwaniey(m): 8:01pm On Aug 29, 2015
pyramidsclinic:
Q: What is dentistry?
A: Dentistry is the branch of medicine that is involved in the study, diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases, disorders and conditions of the oral cavity, commonly in the dentition but also the oral mucosa, and of adjacent and related structures and tissues, particularly in the maxillofacial (jaw and facial) area.Although primarily associated with teeth among the general public, the field of dentistry or dental medicine is thus not limited to odontology (odoús, "tooth"wink – the study of the structure, development, and abnormalities of the teeth. It is the study of the mouth and its disorders and diseases.

It encompasses treatment of the face, jaw, cheek, structures in the mouth including teeth, lips, tongue, palates, gums, saliva and salivary glands and other procedures.

Dentistry is a very wide aspect of medicine with about ten subspecialties. Other aspects of medicine that can be likened to dentistry are internal medicine, peadiatrics, surgery. These aspects all have subspecialties too.

Dentists are surgeons BUT not physicians.

This is because eight out of ten times you visit a dentist, he will work on you (be it minor/major surgery) that is why you will be given a Bachelor of Dental Surgery degree (BDS/BChD) upon graduation. Similarly, graduates of medicine
whom have specialized in surgery, ophthalmology, neurosurgery, O&G, pediatrics and other surgery related field like anaesthesia are not physicians.

Q: How can I become a qualified dental doctor?

A: To become a qualified dentist you need to have five O level credit in English, mathematics, physics, chemistry and biology and fulfill the UTME and PostUTME requirements of your chosen school. Please note that we have nine schools presently offering the course in Nigeria with very few quota system. Therefore prospective candidates must prepare well to meet up with the cutoff mark as it is usually the highest after medicine ( there were cases in the past when it was higher than medicine in some schools) in the College of Medicine/Health Sciences of your school. The following schools are currently offering the course with their students quota in bracket; UNIBADAN(30), UNILAG(40), OAUIFE(25), UNIBEN(25), UNIPORT(15), UNN(15), UNIMAID(15), LASU(10) and BUKano(10). You can also apply for DE with your first degree with a second class upper division of any biological sciences or basic medical sciences discipline.

Q: What should I expect during my training?

A: Dentistry is for six years for UTME and five years for direct entry.Your first year will see you through advanced physics, chemistry,
biology, mathematics(not all schools) and general studies. This is going to be the easiest class in your undergraduate days. Each school has
criteria for promoting to the next class as their will be no room for carry over, any student found wanting will repeat the class or be withdrawn. Your 200 and 300 levels will be basically anatomy,physiology, biochemistry, pharmacology and pathology to be learnt together with your medical colleagues. There is no grading system that is, no A or B will be awarded this is because after completion of your course you wont be given first class or second class, your certificate will state PASS. However after each final examination you take at the end of each level, it is either you PASS or RESIT or REPEAT or WITHDRAW. In addition to those courses dental students will be taught oral biology, science of dental materials, dental operative techniques, prosthetic techniques in 200 and 300 levels. Then you will write your first professional examination marking the end of pre-clinical. In 400 level you will be taught and undergone postings in the different specialties of medicine, and that of surgery, you will also be taught and undergone postings in pharmacology and all aspects of pathology including morbid anatomy, chemical pathology, haematology & immunology, microbiology & parasitology, histopathology together with your medical colleagues. Then you will write your second professional examination. In 500 and 600 levels you will be taught and undergone postings in community medicine together with your medical colleagues. In addition, Dental students will be taught and undergone postings in oral radiology, oral pathology, oral & maxillofacial surgery, restorative dentistry, paediatric dentistry, preventive & community dentistry, dental therapeutics, endodontics, oral medicine. Then you will write your third professional examination and be inducted by MDCN.

Q: Where can I do my internship?

A: I have heard newly graduated medical doctors lament on where to do internship before their 24 months temporary license is due. This is so because we have medical schools all over the countries (federal/states/privates) with new ones coming up every year. This lack of space and limited time has forced some to do the internship as supernumerary meaning that they will do the one year internship without pay. This is different for dental doctors as there are more accredited hospitals for dentists than the numbers of dentists graduating every year. You can check MDCN site for a list of eligible places.

Q: Where will I serve during NYSC service year?

A: As a dentist you are a precious tool in the hand of our FG so be prepared to work during this service year because we have less than 2000 practicing dentists in a country of over 160 million people, so be ready to work in an hospital possibly attending to patients spread over 5 LGA.The beauty of it is you will be paid more than fellow corpers and possibly make more money. Also you will get to practice your skill fully without supervision and that makes you better than your friends who will be posted to schools.

Q: Can I get a well paid job after school?

A: YES, if you want to work as a dental officer, many dentists are begged to stay back after service due to the extreme shortage of manpower in the profession especially in the northern part of the country. you may also decide to pursue your residency. The choice is yours.

Q: Is there hope in private practice after school?

A: YES, contrary to people’s opinion that private dental clinic will not be patronized the reverse is actually the case as there are increasing awareness among Nigerians on the need for quality oral health. There are a good number of private dental clinics in the country.

Q: How do I specialize and what are the requirements?

A: Specialization in Dentistry require one to pass the exam of Faculty of Dental surgery of National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria or West African College of Surgeons and then proceed to a teaching hospital where they offer any of the postgraduate programmes in dentistry. The specialties are PAEDIATRIC DENTISTRY, ENDODONTICS, ORAL MEDICINE, ORAL&MAXILLOFACIAL SURGERY, PROSTHODONTICS, PREVENTIVE DENTISTRY, COMMUNITY DENTISTRY, DENTAL PUBLIC HEALTH, ORAL PATHOLOGY, PERIODONTOLOGY, ORAL RADIOLOGY, ORTHODONTICS & DENTOFACIAL ORTHOPEDICS and FORENSIC DENTISTRY.

Q: If I decide to do medicine in future or want to specialize under medicine/surgery is it possible?

A: YES, you will be required to do 500 and 600 levels of medicine which will be around 22 months ( approximately 2 years) and you will become a holder of MBBS/MBChB but please know that your BDS/BChD degree will be withdrawn from you forever which means you can no longer specialize in dentistry or practice it or be referred to as a dentist.

Q: Can a dentist head a hospital or any medical organization?

A: YES, a dentist is given the same treatment as a medical doctor and can as such be the head of a hospital. A dental consultant who has attained the position of a professor can become the CMD of a hospital or provost of a college of medicine.

Q: Who will I work with in the dental ward/hospital?

A: A dentist will work with a general nurse/dental nurse, dental technologist, dental therapist, lab scientist, radiographer, medical records staff.

Q: Do people visit dentists in Nigeria?

A: YES, the figure is improving and people now see a dentist more than you can actually think of.

Q: Are dentists too life savers?

A: YES, they are life savers too because most diseases in the body will either have oral symptoms whereby it can be detected early enough by
a dentist. Some diseases even have oral manifestations that can only be managed by a dentist. Also diseases such as oral cancer, tonsillitis amongst others can only be managed effectively by a dentist.

Q: Is it possible to have emergency cases in a dental ward/hospital/clinic?

A:YES, though it is not a common occurrence but there are actually a few ones. Take for example a person with a tongue/lip cut that is surely for oral & maxillofacial surgeons or a child with a pin prick in the mouth that is why we have peadiatric dentists too.

Q: Is dentistry tougher than medicine?

A:MAYBE, there is no yardstick for toughness although most foreign forums (American) I have read, people are with the opinion of dentistry
being tougher due to the dexterity of hands and eyes involved. Dentistry can be tougher initially (parts 1-4) due to the fact that you do
dental courses in addition to what medical students will do. But in 500 & 600 levels medicine too can be seen as voluminous when you think of
the number of cases you will come across but dentistry is sure not anywhere less voluminous as you combine clinical postings with
patients care, lectures and practical too are on with dental aspects of basic medical sciences fields you will be taught in parts 5 & 6. So in my
opinion it is indecisive.

Q: Can I admit patients other than dental cases?
A: NO, you cannot so as not to lose your license but you can offer excellent medical advice to your patients and make proper referrals.

Q: Does a dentist use sphygmomanometer, stethoscope, thermometer and others?

A: YES, you make use of everything right from your part4.

Q: What are my prospects outside the country?

A: Dentistry is a promising profession outside Nigeria. According to Daily NewsUSA published on December 19, 2012 for top 100
professions in the United States dentistry ranks first with a median salary of US$142740 (NGN22.8 million with $1=#160). This is to tell you
that not only Nigeria has prospects for graduates of dentistry.

Q: Is the profession not boring and can we call it a ministry like medicine?

A: YES, the profession is interesting because it gives smile to people’s faces. When you walk into your office and your patient is wailing of
toothache (commonest ailment) then you perform the magic and the patient is beaming and smiling again tell me if this is boring? Couples
who can no longer kiss each other again or communicate effectively because a partner has got mouth odour, then you invite the affected
partner over and treat his/her condition, he/she is full of smile and his/her marriage is back on track and he/she will be grateful now tell
me if what you are doing is boring? Tell me if dentistry is not a ministry?

THANK YOU FOR READING

ALL ENQUIRIES SHOULD BE FORWARDED TO:
pyramidsinvestment@yahoo.com

This is aloooot in its own right!

pllllssss... Can you give same enlightenment on physiotherapy.. Med rehabilitation.
Look forward to it sir
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Dbrainiac1(m): 11:46am On Oct 16, 2015
adahogwuche:
In response to my learned colleague; Dentist
Dear writer while I appreciate your eye opening write up. I think you may have gotten some things wrong and i thought to shed light.

Are human medics and Dentists actually the only ones tagged health care providers in the traditional sense?
The answer is a big NO.
Veterinary Doctors today are as informed if not more informed than dentists and are also tagged health care providers if not at par with the human doctors in terms of knowledge and contributions to the society. While I do admit that our immediate society lacks certain knowledge and orientation, it is important to bring certain basis to the fore. Now you rightly said, a Dentist isn’t a physician but a surgeon. A veterinarian is on the other hand both a physician and a surgeon.

Who is a veterinary doctor and what does it take to be one?

A veterinary doctor spends 6 years in the university to attain that title. In similarity to dentistry and human medicine 100 level is basically made up of basic science courses of physics, chemistry and biology. Subsequent levels see them study anatomy, physiology, bacteriology, virology, immunology, entomology, protozoology, helminthology, pharmacology and toxicology, theriogeniology and obstetrics, dentistry, optometry, internal medicine and surgery. After the pre-clinicals , a Veterinarian proceeds to clinics after the 4th year and they do clinic rotations in small animal internal medicine(dogs and cats), large animal internal medicine(ruminants, horses, all wildlife), microbiology, theriogeniology and production, surgery, parasitology, ambulatory medicine and poultry. Also like in human medicine, the final degree is unclassified and you either pass and graduate as a doctor or you fail and re-sit or repeat. Upon graduation you automatically become a member of the Veterinary Council of Nigeria (VCN) and register with the Nigerian Veterinary Medical Association(NVMA) and you are then issued a license and a VCN Number identical to you only . licenses are renewed each year. In service (NYSC) Vets CANNOT teach. You are posted to Vet clinics or establishments and you are paid an allowance same as a human medics and usually above regular corps members. You can also do locum d private practice around to earn more.
What is the similarity between the veterinarian and a human medic/ dentist

They all bear the name DR. A lot of people may not know but animals share the same body anatomy and physiology with humans. All muscles present in humans are present in man and even a lot more in animals. The basic physiology and functioning of humans and animals are also the same with even more complexities and variations in animals. It is worthy to also note that all procedures carried out on humans are also done in animals. Veterinary establishments and teaching hospitals are able to do surgeries and procedures like x-rays, ultrasounds, CT scans, ECG, EMG, and similar tests. Laboratory tests involving blood , stool, urine, biopsies and the likes are also carried out on animals. Human and animal diseases are also similar and treated alike. All drugs used in humans are also used on animals and though not all human drugs are licensed for use in animals and not all animal drugs are licensed for human use. drugs are often shared between both professions. All other fields of dentistry, optometry, gynaecology and the likes are also similar. A vet studies as much medicine as a human medic and more.
Is Veterinary medicine more difficult?
The answer is more of a Yes than a maybe.

Why?
The reasons are numerous. You should know that all institutions that offer the course has veterinary medicine as the course with by far the highest number of credit units to pass before graduation in any Nigerian university. This means that the work load of a Veterinary Doctor is much more than that of a dentist or human medic. While human deals in a single specie, a veterinarian is able to study anatomy, physiology, reproduction and medicine of different species ranging from domestic animals like dog, cattle, chicken, horses to lions, tigers, crocodiles, ostriches e.t.c. The absence of supporting professions in Nigeria like veterinary nurse, pharmacists and dentists also mean a veterinarian does a lot of pharmacology/toxicology, microbiology , optometry and even dentistry. The risk involved in animals means additional techniques are taught. While a human medic graduates more as a physician with basic knowledge of surgery except during specializations, a Veterinary graduate is a certified physician/surgeon and can carry out complex surgeries from Caesarian sections, orthopedic surgeries, graft and basic plastic/cosmetic surgeries and the likes. A veterinarian is also thoroughly trained to determine cause of death at post mortem and is a trained gross pathologist. It goes on…
Do they know that much/ Do they use basic medical tools?

A veterinarian is a jack of all trade in medicine and knows a lot and YES, stethoscopes, thermometers, surgical wears and kits and other kits are also used by a veterinary doctor.

Can a Veterinary Doctor attend to a human?

A vet is not licensed to treat a human being however , he knows enough to advice and make recommendations. During the 2nd world war and in extreme conditions of human medic shortage, vets may be asked to help in various capacities.
Can a Human Doctor attend to an animal?

No, but a human medics knowledge of medicine means he also has a fair knowledge of certain things in animal medicine.
Is veterinary practice lucrative in Nigeria?

Nigeria is still growing and the profession like many others has challenges. However, in government, Veterinary doctors are employed at the same entry level and paid the same salary as Human medics ahead of all other allied health courses like pharmacy and optometry (Not sure of dentistry). In the academics, a Veterinarian usually earns more than human medics based on certain hazard and risk allowances. In private practice however, it is a lot tougher for a Vet as Nigerians are only beginning to learn to value animals , but vets are millionaires from handling Fulani cattle and large farms with birds, and other commercial far. Even dog and cat practice can fetch lots of cash. A Vets knowledge also means that various pharmaceutical companies employ vets as reps. Pet feed companies, poultry feed companies, banks with agric loan schemes, colleges of agriculture and NGOs are others. NAFDAC(vet drug dept.) , the Nigerian armed forces (Military horse units and bioterrorism unit),Police /Civil Defense (police dog unit), Prisons (Prison farms) are amongst vet employers. A vet is always employed on one or two levels above a normal degree holder which is the same for human doctors. All universities with veterinary medicine have teaching hospitals and are employers of labour. In the last 2 to 3 years, many federal institutions are opening vet faculties in addition to what was available(over 8 veterinary faculties before)and are looking at the future prospects(UNILORIN, UNIJOS, UNIBEN, some Universities of Agriculture and Private universities). No school wants to be left behind. Countries in Africa e.g. south Africa, Botswana , Kenya survive on wildlife and animal farming. Oil is falling, agriculture is on the rise. Self employment is the inn thing , Veterinary knowledge makes you a potential farmer and business man/woman as you can raise you own animals. Only a Veterinary and a Pharmacist license is recognized for drug imports for animals and humans respectively. Human medic licenses are not used for drug import.
Do Vets only treat animals?

No, veterinarians are also core indirectly human health providers. Most countries have animal and human health agencies working side by side. Over 70% of diseases in humans in the last decade have come from animals and Vets play huge roles. Today in some EU countries, even in human hospitals for every few number of human doctors a Vet Dr. is attached(e.g. 5:1) to assist with handling zoonotic diseases(i.e. disease from animals). Vets are also needed in health agencies and public health institutions like WHO, CDC, FAO, OIE and the likes both home and abroad. In Nigeria each state has veterinary clinic and each abattoir in a state has a Vet Dr. attached to inspect slaughtered meat and prevent disease transfer to humans. Diseased animals are condemned or diseased body parts removed to prevent disease, so a veterinarian is out there saving our lives every-day. You will be surprised at how many diseases like tuberculosis a Veterinarian sees every day and saves someone from getting. Asides these, food processing agencies, environmental health and sanitation and water process inspections and supervision are roles veterinarians handle. Public health, Disease surveillance and eradication are other roles. Most significant medical researches done in Nigeria emanate from Veterinary medicine. You will find more Veterinary professors in universities that human medic professors due to this (factor in no of institutions offering the course). Today, the bigger world approach medicine as “one health”; Human health, Animal health and Environmental health. That is the only way to succeed in health issues(You can Google the “one health” concept)

Finally,Always take your animals to a vet for check up. dogs should be routinely vaccinated and livestock handled properly. an unhealthy animal means you are at risk too and animals have feelings you should consider.

Veterinary medicine is a noble profession. The title is DVM (doctor of veterinary medicine) and you are a doctor in your own right, respected in the society and can make a lot for yourself. No job is a bed of roses, nor perfect but certain professions give you self-dignity respect and can make you comfortable. So much to still to say

You may reach me on Adah Ogwuche(Facebook) or adah.ogwuche@gmail.com for further enquiries.
Hah... na wash. A dvm knows nothing about the human body

1 Like

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Dbrainiac1(m): 11:50am On Oct 16, 2015
Donabydeco:

Thanks bro.. Can u plz lists all other course fall under Faculty of Dentistry except Dept of Dental surgery..
Do you mean course of study? As in other degree programmes under the Faculty of Dentistry?
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:50pm On Oct 19, 2015
Dbrainiac1:

Do you mean course of study? As in other degree programmes under the Faculty of Dentistry?

Yes
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Dbrainiac1(m): 1:06am On Oct 20, 2015
Donabydeco:

Yes
Nope. There aren't. The only undergraduate degree programme is BDS. There are also post graduate degree programmes, but that's for further research and specialization.

2 Likes

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Dbrainiac1(m): 5:42pm On Oct 21, 2015
otiigba1:
If you are a qualified Dentist in nigeria come to the UK here, the Nhs will chop your hands off with a Job, i hear its 1000 pounds a weeks pay, 1000 pounds = 340000 naira a week even for agency Doctors (dental) i wished i had learnt when i was in school embarassed was busy chasing after girls
Like seriously? 1000 pounds a week? shocked

1 Like

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:58pm On Oct 22, 2015
Dbrainiac1:

Like seriously? 1000 pounds a week? shocked
dats even too small na! In America dere are some specialist in Dentistry that get paid $1000 dollars per day....£1000 per week is rather too small except maybe as a General Dentist....you u ar an Orthodontist, or Endodontist your pay should be far higher

1 Like

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Dbrainiac1(m): 3:32pm On Oct 22, 2015
Osahon7:
dats even too small na! In America dere are some specialist in Dentistry that get paid $1000 dollars per day....£1000 per week is rather too small except maybe as a General Dentist....you u ar an Orthodontist, or Endodontist your pay should be far higher
OMG...
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:31pm On Oct 22, 2015
Dbrainiac1:

OMG...
buh hey! Dentistry is far. More than the money! Its wat u do because u want to help oda ppl so remove d money mentality! Buh just knw dat as a Dentist you won't suffer both 9ja nd abroad
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Dbrainiac1(m): 7:10pm On Oct 22, 2015
Osahon7:
buh hey! Dentistry is far. More than the money! Its wat u do because u want to help oda ppl so remove d money mentality! Buh just knw dat as a Dentist you won't suffer both 9ja nd abroad
Yeah I know. I'm not studying it for the money. I'm doing it for the passion I have for it. I've always wanted to do dis since I was a child ,den I didn't even know about money, I wanted to be like be like my father, much more

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by labodinho: 11:08am On Jan 15, 2016
LIFE AS A BASIC MEDICAL STUDENT

You roll over and open your eyes,the feeling of calmness that normally greets you when you wake up changes to fright,and a mild anger. “Jesus Christ!” you exclaim 7:21AM. You quickly tap your roommates and then the mad rush begins.For some queer reason,the hostel generator is not on, and our Power Holding company is living up to its name:Holding power.No light,means no water,no water means long queue in front of the tank in each block.Long queues means late students and unfortunately you were one of them.

You were carrying your water up the stairs when the handle broke,as you struggled to save what was left of your water,your classmate strolled by.He was dressed in a crisp white shirt,blue tie and navy blue trousers.He was heading to class. “Hey,please what’s the time?” “7:45AM“.

You ran to the tank to see how long the queue was, but to your dismay,it was two times as long as it had been when you left, and guys were already tilting the tank to get the little water left at the bottom.So you shrugged and decided to ‘manage’ what you had. Managing was impossible and 7:58AM met you in..... READ MORE unilaglabodinho./2016/01/15/life-as-a-basic-medical-student/

3 Likes

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by pin442: 12:21pm On Mar 31, 2016
Pls all these dental students should be truthful, is dentistry worth all d pain and stress in school? Is it really lucrative? Are patients really available for a dentist or you will have to go and scout for patients?
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by pin442: 1:05pm On Mar 31, 2016
I mean in Nigeria.
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by pin442: 1:07pm On Mar 31, 2016
I mean in Nigeria. I Kindly need ur answers.
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by sagaciousblog: 3:08pm On Mar 31, 2016
pin442:
Pls all these dental students should be truthful, is dentistry worth all d pain and stress in school? Is it really lucrative? Are patients really available for a dentist or you will have to go and scout for patients?
nope! isn't that what you want to hear?? now go get a life!

1 Like

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Dbrainiac1(m): 3:49pm On Mar 31, 2016
pin442:
pin442:
I mean in Nigeria.
pin442:
I mean in Nigeria. I Kindly need ur answers.
shocked shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by pin442: 8:17pm On Mar 31, 2016
Ah ah, sagacious and dbrainac, mk una tk am easy, na question i ask na.
U guys shud answer me wella
Dbrainac, maybe u are a dental student, which school u dey?
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by pin442: 8:21pm On Mar 31, 2016
Dbrainiac1:
shocked shocked shocked shocked
pls answer me properly
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Drdonzeez(m): 9:25pm On Mar 31, 2016
pin442:
pls answer me properly
sagacious gave you the answer.
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Drdonzeez(m): 9:26pm On Mar 31, 2016
pin442:
pls answer me properly
sagacious gave you the answer.
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Dbrainiac1(m): 12:17am On Apr 01, 2016
pin442:

pls answer me properly
pin442:
Ah ah, sagacious and dbrainac, mk una tk am easy, na question i ask na.
U guys shud answer me wella
Dbrainac, maybe u are a dental student, which school u dey?
You don't seem like you need a proper answer here.I am. UNIMAID.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Erasmus Mundus Master's Scholarship Applicants 2017/2018 / 10 Most Marketable Courses In Nigeria / Scenic Pictures Of ABU Zaria Dam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.