Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,269 members, 7,807,912 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:31 PM

Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria (98564 Views)

When We Say Dentistry And Dental Surgery........its Another Tougher Ministry / How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? / Optometry, Dentistry And Pharmancy What Is The Duration Of Study (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by pin442: 10:28pm On Apr 01, 2016
Drdonzeez, his answer isnt straightforward, i dont knw whether he is in favour of dentistry or against it.
Comeon guys, i need info, i'm a prospective dental student, i jst want to mk enquiries.
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by madgoat(m): 10:45pm On Apr 01, 2016
pin442:
Pls all these dental students should be truthful, is dentistry worth all d pain and stress in school? Is it really lucrative? Are patients really available for a dentist or you will have to go and scout for patients?

If u are a dental student especially 1st year, I will suggest u re-orientate urself and have a positive mind set or else u will do poorly in school and end up having issues even as a practicing dentist. For ur peace of mind, dentistry is very lucrative. It is a business like every other business, including medical practice. It has its ups and downs too just as medical practice has its own. If people (patients) know u are good at ur work, they will come to you and your clinic. As a dental student, u might need to source for patients to be able to meet up wt the required procedures; remember the minimum required procedures are much and the students (including resident doctors) requiring such procedures are also plenty. That doesn't mean there are no patients or that a doctor will start sourcing for patients for his clinic.
Dental treatment is very expensive and patients try to avoid it till when the problem becomes a big issue for them; despite this, a dental clinic will still function.
I suggest u get ur acts together and start liking what u are learning. You are a doctor (dental surgeon), think and act like one sir.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Drdonzeez(m): 10:49pm On Apr 01, 2016
pin442:
Drdonzeez, his answer isnt straightforward, i dont knw whether he is in favour of dentistry or against it.
Comeon guys, i need info, i'm a prospective dental student, i jst want to mk enquiries.
If you couldn't proffer solutions to your ignorance on this thread,then,I'm afraid you would never be impressed.

4 Likes

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by pin442: 9:42pm On Apr 03, 2016
Tnk u very much madgoat, tnk u dronzeez, God bless u guys
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by labodinho: 2:20am On Jun 15, 2016
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Nacre1: 7:02pm On Aug 19, 2016
OMG! I just visited a dentist today at Airforce base hospital. They want to cut my head with what they are billing me. If you have toothache, don't wait till it gets out of hand.

1 Like

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by idu1(m): 12:09am On Dec 16, 2016
dapsondou:

I think people should stop comparing about which is tougher. Both dental and medical students do the same courses till year 4/5 depending on the school when they then do different stuffs.
Dental students won't do obstetrics and gynecology but do all other medical courses that medical students do.
So which is tougher? They're both tough

What's the essence of doing all other medical courses that they ll not be permitted to practice?

Just to have insight about them or what,?
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by dapsondou(m): 7:51pm On Dec 16, 2016
idu1:

What's the essence of doing all other medical courses that they ll not be permitted to practice?

Just to have insight about them or what,?

All the medical courses are needed in the dentistry profession. Its not just to have an insight, they're like basics

3 Likes

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by idu1(m): 9:33pm On Jan 12, 2017
madgoat:

If u are a dental student especially 1st year, I will suggest u re-orientate urself and have a positive mind set or else u will do poorly in school and end up having issues even as a practicing dentist. For ur peace of mind, dentistry is very lucrative. It is a business like every other business, including medical practice. It has its ups and downs too just as medical practice has its own. If people (patients) know u are good at ur work, they will come to you and your clinic. As a dental student, u might need to source for patients to be able to meet up wt the required procedures; remember the minimum required procedures are much and the students (including resident doctors) requiring such procedures are also plenty. That doesn't mean there are no patients or that a doctor will start sourcing for patients for his clinic.
Dental treatment is very expensive and patients try to avoid it till when the problem becomes a big issue for them; despite this, a dental clinic will still function.
I suggest u get ur acts together and start liking what u are learning. You are a doctor (dental surgeon), think and act like one sir.
Can you answer pm?
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by idu1(m): 9:47pm On Jan 12, 2017
dapsondou:

All the medical courses are needed in the dentistry profession. Its not just to have an insight, they're like basics
i have been observing over time that university doesn't admit much in dental surgery.

What you think is the cause?

Is it a rule from Mdcn or numbers of interested candidates is low?

Is it too much competition?
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by MrEgghead(m): 11:16pm On Jan 12, 2017
idu1:
i have been observing over time that university doesn't admit much in dental surgery.

schools are adhering to the stipulated quota given by Mdcn.

1 Like

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by dapsondou(m): 10:47am On Jan 13, 2017
idu1:

I've thought about it too but I don't know why it's like that. Number of candidates used to be low before but in the past few years, that has changed. I guess it might be due to the fact that not much dentists are employed in each hospital

1 Like

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by madgoat(m): 4:51pm On Jan 13, 2017
idu1:
Can you answer pm?

Yes
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by DayoAlpha: 9:20pm On Jan 15, 2017
to bring this thread back alive...u guys shud gv your experience in dental school... your ward rounds experience... exams stuffs....question and answers

I will really like this thread up and kicking

tanx in anticipation

1 Like

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:03am On Jan 21, 2017
pin442:

Why would anyone be against dental surgery? undecided

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by kemex(f): 4:11pm On Jan 25, 2017
How possible is it for someone who studied Dental Surgery in Nigeria to do residency in the UK or USA?
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Zico5(m): 6:35pm On Jan 25, 2017
kemex:
How possible is it for someone who studied Dental Surgery in Nigeria to do residency in the UK or USA?
Dental surgery is lucrative but I don't think it has gotten to that level.
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by homesteady(m): 9:35pm On Jan 25, 2017
Zico5:

Dental surgery is lucrative but I don't think it has gotten to that level.

I don't get? Which level?
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Zico5(m): 9:41pm On Jan 25, 2017
homesteady:

I don't get? Which level?
Doing residency in UK or USA. I don't think a dentist from Nigeria can even practice directly not to talk of doing residency. There are long way to go before u can practice

1 Like

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by homesteady(m): 10:02pm On Jan 25, 2017
Zico5:

Doing residency in UK or USA. I don't think a dentist from Nigeria can even practice directly not to talk of doing residency. There are long way to go before u can practice

Not true!
If you pass the NBDE, you would be qualified to work there!
NBDE is the equivalent of USMLE.

2 Likes

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by chuksbestcgc(m): 10:26pm On Jan 30, 2017
Can a dentist own a pharmacy?
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by dolapoesho: 4:39pm On Mar 16, 2017
Let’s face it. Many people fear you.

Seventy five (75%) percent of adults experience some degree of dental fear, from mild to severe.

Five to ten percent have dental phobia who avoid dental care at all costs.

What is it with dentists?
When people were asked to think about the last time they searched for health and medical information, as well as doctors or other health professionals…

https://wsiaxon.com/dental-marketing-ideas-dentists/
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Bobola07(m): 4:14pm On Jan 06, 2018
Shabib
ISISs
Dbrainiac01
This thread must not die o.....
Let's come in..

3 Likes

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by ISISs(m): 7:25am On Jan 07, 2018
Bobola07:
Shabib

ISISs

Dbrainiac01

This thread must not die o.....

Let's come in..
grin grin... Sure boss...
Always active.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Jman06(m): 9:46am On Jan 07, 2018
chuksbestcgc:
Can a dentist own a pharmacy?
No and yes.

No because you are not Pharmacist and so cannot have your dental license cover the registration of a pharmacy. Even medical doctors cannot do that.

Yes because if you have the money, you can get a pharmacist to register your premises with his license and he would have to be on ground at all times to dispense drugs and counsel patients on the use of drugs, as well as treat minor ailments that his scope of training can handle. Those are called superintendent pharmacists. You have to be ready to pay him/her whatever he charges you as salary.

4 Likes

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:09am On Jan 20, 2018
Q: What is dentistry?
A: Dentistry is the branch of medicine that is involved in the study, diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases, disorders and conditions of the oral cavity, commonly in the dentition but also the oral mucosa, and of adjacent and related structures and tissues, particularly in the maxillofacial (jaw and facial) area.Although primarily associated with teeth among the general public, the field of dentistry or dental medicine is thus not limited to odontology (odoús, "tooth"wink – the study of the structure, development, and abnormalities of the teeth. It is the study of the mouth and its disorders and diseases.

It encompasses treatment of the face, jaw, cheek, structures in the mouth including teeth, lips, tongue, palates, gums, saliva and salivary glands and other procedures.

Dentistry is a very wide aspect of medicine with about ten subspecialties. Other aspects of medicine that can be likened to dentistry are internal medicine, peadiatrics, surgery. These aspects all have subspecialties too.

Dentists are surgeons BUT not physicians.

This is because eight out of ten times you visit a dentist, he will work on you (be it minor/major surgery) that is why you will be given a Bachelor of Dental Surgery degree (BDS/BChD) upon graduation. Similarly, graduates of medicine
whom have specialized in surgery, ophthalmology, neurosurgery, O&G, pediatrics and other surgery related field like anaesthesia are not physicians.

Q: How can I become a qualified dental doctor?

A: To become a qualified dentist you need to have five O level credit in English, mathematics, physics, chemistry and biology and fulfill the UTME and PostUTME requirements of your chosen school. Please note that we have nine schools presently offering the course in Nigeria with very few quota system. Therefore prospective candidates must prepare well to meet up with the cutoff mark as it is usually the highest after medicine ( there were cases in the past when it was higher than medicine in some schools) in the College of Medicine/Health Sciences of your school. The following schools are currently offering the course with their students quota in bracket; UNIBADAN(30), UNILAG(40), OAUIFE(25), UNIBEN(25), UNIPORT(15), UNN(15), UNIMAID(15), LASU(10) and BUKano(10). You can also apply for DE with your first degree with a second class upper division of any biological sciences or basic medical sciences discipline.

Q: What should I expect during my training?

A: Dentistry is for six years for UTME and five years for direct entry.Your first year will see you through advanced physics, chemistry,
biology, mathematics(not all schools) and general studies. This is going to be the easiest class in your undergraduate days. Each school has
criteria for promoting to the next class as their will be no room for carry over, any student found wanting will repeat the class or be withdrawn. Your 200 and 300 levels will be basically anatomy,physiology, biochemistry, pharmacology and pathology to be learnt together with your medical colleagues. There is no grading system that is, no A or B will be awarded this is because after completion of your course you wont be given first class or second class, your certificate will state PASS. However after each final examination you take at the end of each level, it is either you PASS or RESIT or REPEAT or WITHDRAW. In addition to those courses dental students will be taught oral biology, science of dental materials, dental operative techniques, prosthetic techniques in 200 and 300 levels. Then you will write your first professional examination marking the end of pre-clinical. In 400 level you will be taught and undergone postings in the different specialties of medicine, and that of surgery, you will also be taught and undergone postings in pharmacology and all aspects of pathology including morbid anatomy, chemical pathology, haematology & immunology, microbiology & parasitology, histopathology together with your medical colleagues. Then you will write your second professional examination. In 500 and 600 levels you will be taught and undergone postings in community medicine together with your medical colleagues. In addition, Dental students will be taught and undergone postings in oral radiology, oral pathology, oral & maxillofacial surgery, restorative dentistry, paediatric dentistry, preventive & community dentistry, dental therapeutics, endodontics, oral medicine. Then you will write your third professional examination and be inducted by MDCN.

Q: Where can I do my internship?

A: I have heard newly graduated medical doctors lament on where to do internship before their 24 months temporary license is due. This is so because we have medical schools all over the countries (federal/states/privates) with new ones coming up every year. This lack of space and limited time has forced some to do the internship as supernumerary meaning that they will do the one year internship without pay. This is different for dental doctors as there are more accredited hospitals for dentists than the numbers of dentists graduating every year. You can check MDCN site for a list of eligible places.

Q: Where will I serve during NYSC service year?

A: As a dentist you are a precious tool in the hand of our FG so be prepared to work during this service year because we have less than 2000 practicing dentists in a country of over 160 million people, so be ready to work in an hospital possibly attending to patients spread over 5 LGA.The beauty of it is you will be paid more than fellow corpers and possibly make more money. Also you will get to practice your skill fully without supervision and that makes you better than your friends who will be posted to schools.

Q: Can I get a well paid job after school?

A: YES, if you want to work as a dental officer, many dentists are begged to stay back after service due to the extreme shortage of manpower in the profession especially in the northern part of the country. you may also decide to pursue your residency. The choice is yours.

Q: Is there hope in private practice after school?

A: YES, contrary to people’s opinion that private dental clinic will not be patronized the reverse is actually the case as there are increasing awareness among Nigerians on the need for quality oral health. There are a good number of private dental clinics in the country.

Q: How do I specialize and what are the requirements?

A: Specialization in Dentistry require one to pass the exam of Faculty of Dental surgery of National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria or West African College of Surgeons and then proceed to a teaching hospital where they offer any of the postgraduate programmes in dentistry. The specialties are PAEDIATRIC DENTISTRY, ENDODONTICS, ORAL MEDICINE, ORAL&MAXILLOFACIAL SURGERY, PROSTHODONTICS, PREVENTIVE DENTISTRY, COMMUNITY DENTISTRY, DENTAL PUBLIC HEALTH, ORAL PATHOLOGY, PERIODONTOLOGY, ORAL RADIOLOGY, ORTHODONTICS & DENTOFACIAL ORTHOPEDICS and FORENSIC DENTISTRY.

Q: If I decide to do medicine in future or want to specialize under medicine/surgery is it possible?

A: YES, you will be required to do 500 and 600 levels of medicine which will be around 22 months ( approximately 2 years) and you will become a holder of MBBS/MBChB but please know that your BDS/BChD degree will be withdrawn from you forever which means you can no longer specialize in dentistry or practice it or be referred to as a dentist.

Q: Can a dentist head a hospital or any medical organization?

A: YES, a dentist is given the same treatment as a medical doctor and can as such be the head of a hospital. A dental consultant who has attained the position of a professor can become the CMD of a hospital or provost of a college of medicine.

Q: Who will I work with in the dental ward/hospital?

A: A dentist will work with a general nurse/dental nurse, dental technologist, dental therapist, lab scientist, radiographer, medical records staff.

Q: Do people visit dentists in Nigeria?

A: YES, the figure is improving and people now see a dentist more than you can actually think of.

Q: Are dentists too life savers?

A: YES, they are life savers too because most diseases in the body will either have oral symptoms whereby it can be detected early enough by
a dentist. Some diseases even have oral manifestations that can only be managed by a dentist. Also diseases such as oral cancer, tonsillitis amongst others can only be managed effectively by a dentist.

Q: Is it possible to have emergency cases in a dental ward/hospital/clinic?

A:YES, though it is not a common occurrence but there are actually a few ones. Take for example a person with a tongue/lip cut that is surely for oral & maxillofacial surgeons or a child with a pin prick in the mouth that is why we have peadiatric dentists too.

Q: Is dentistry tougher than medicine?

A:MAYBE, there is no yardstick for toughness although most foreign forums (American) I have read, people are with the opinion of dentistry
being tougher due to the dexterity of hands and eyes involved. Dentistry can be tougher initially (parts 1-4) due to the fact that you do
dental courses in addition to what medical students will do. But in 500 & 600 levels medicine too can be seen as voluminous when you think of
the number of cases you will come across but dentistry is sure not anywhere less voluminous as you combine clinical postings with
patients care, lectures and practical too are on with dental aspects of basic medical sciences fields you will be taught in parts 5 & 6. So in my
opinion it is indecisive.

Q: Can I admit patients other than dental cases?
A: NO, you cannot so as not to lose your license but you can offer excellent medical advice to your patients and make proper referrals.

Q: Does a dentist use sphygmomanometer, stethoscope, thermometer and others?

A: YES, you make use of everything right from your part4.

Q: What are my prospects outside the country?

A: Dentistry is a promising profession outside Nigeria. According to Daily NewsUSA published on December 19, 2012 for top 100
professions in the United States dentistry ranks first with a median salary of US$142740 (NGN22.8 million with $1=#160). This is to tell you
that not only Nigeria has prospects for graduates of dentistry.

Q: Is the profession not boring and can we call it a ministry like medicine?

A: YES, the profession is interesting because it gives smile to people’s faces. When you walk into your office and your patient is wailing of
toothache (commonest ailment) then you perform the magic and the patient is beaming and smiling again tell me if this is boring? Couples
who can no longer kiss each other again or communicate effectively because a partner has got mouth odour, then you invite the affected
partner over and treat his/her condition, he/she is full of smile and his/her marriage is back on track and he/she will be grateful now tell
me if what you are doing is boring? Tell me if dentistry is not a ministry?

THANK YOU FOR READING

ALL ENQUIRIES SHOULD BE FORWARDED TO:
pyramidsinvestment@yahoo.com

A billion likes for whoever constructed this. This was what changed my view about dentistry. Wow! I felt I would be such an ingrate not to commend the post that has made me fall in love with dentistry.
After reading this, I went online and I've read at least 100 articles relating to this noble profession.

I picked it in JAMB last year haven't been admitted yet. My JAMB CAPS status still says "Admission in Progress, Check back later".

Once more, thanks to the writer of this article. God bless you abundantly. Amen.

P.S: I came across this post around May, 2017 ; but didn't comment because of the following reasons:
1. I was a silent follower
2. I was new to nairaland
3. Had no account
And when I finally had, took me time to learn how to quote�. (Lol. Don't really know if the explanation was necessary )

My greetings to all dental students across the country.

11 Likes

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Bobola07(m): 11:59am On Jan 20, 2018
javanslem:

A billion likes for whoever constructed this. This was what changed my view about dentistry. Wow! I felt I would be such an ingrate not to commend the post that has made me fall in love with dentistry.
After reading this, I went online and I've read at least 100 articles relating to this noble profession.

I picked it in JAMB last year haven't been admitted yet. My JAMB CAPS status still says "Admission in Progress, Check back later".

Once more, thanks to the writer of this article. God bless you abundantly. Amen.

P.S: I came across this post around May, 2017 ; but didn't comment because of the following reasons:
1. I was a silent follower
2. I was new to nairaland
3. Had no account
And when I finally had, took me time to learn how to quote�. (Lol. Don't really know if the explanation was necessary )

My greetings to all dental students across the country.

bless u bro.
welcome aboard.

which skul did u apply to last year? do u plan to retry dz year?

1 Like

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:52pm On Jan 20, 2018
Bobola07:

bless u bro.
welcome aboard.

which skul did u apply to last year? do u plan to retry dz year?

Thanks.
I wrote 2017 JAMB but haven't been admitted yet.
Still being optimistic.
OAU though..
What about you?
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Thane(m): 3:53am On Jan 21, 2018
nice
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Shabib(m): 6:56am On Jan 21, 2018
javanslem:

Thanks.
Still being optimistic.
OAU though..
What about you?

Java Boss

1 Like

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Bobola07(m): 10:29pm On Jan 25, 2018
javanslem:

Thanks.
Still being optimistic.
OAU though..
What about you?

okay.. i am newly admitted, UI.
i wish u the very best

1 Like

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Ebithayo: 2:59pm On Jan 28, 2018
Pls has anyone been admitted into dentistry OAU yet.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Tony Adibeh Has Built A World-class Students Hostel At The COOU Anambra(photos) / How Much Do Guinness World Record Holders Get Paid? / Erasmus Mundus Master's Scholarship Applicants 2017/2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.