Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,650 members, 7,801,896 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:26 AM

List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them (viewers discretion) - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them (viewers discretion) (106311 Views)

Autopsy Of A Drug Mule: Stay Out Of Hard Drugs (Viewers Discretion Advised) / Glory Uzoh Shot By Robbers In Abuja (Viewers Discretion) / Names Of All Top Secret Cults In Nigeria And Initiation Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them (viewers discretion) by Asuokaa: 12:43pm On Jul 13, 2015
Asuokaa:
Coups are an integral part of Nigerian history and the following is a list of those who were accused by the government of plotting one coup or the other and what happened to them.

NB: This list will be updated.

EXECUTED ON THE 11TH OF MARCH 1976 AT THE BAR BEACH, LAGOS

The following were charged by the Olusegun Obasanjo-led military government with orchestrating the bloody toppling of the government of General Murtala Ramat Muhammed, the Nigerian head of state who was assassinated on the 13th of February, 1976. They were all executed on the 11th of March, 1976:

1- Major-General I D Bisalla

2- Warrant Officer 2 (WO2) Monday Monchon

3- Staff Sergeant Richard Dungdang

4- Sergeant Sale Pankshin

5- Lieutenant Colonel A R Aliyu

6- Captain M Parvwong

7- Captain J F Idi

8- Captain S Wakins

9- Lieutenant Mohammed

10- Lieutenant E L K Shelleng

11- Lieutenant Colonel AyubaTense

12- Colonel A D S Way

13- Lieutenant Colonel T K Adamu

14- Lieutenant Colonel A B Umaru

15- Captain A A Aliyu

16- Captain Augustine Dawurang

17- Major M M Mshelia

18- Lieutenant William Seri

19- Major I B Ribo

20- Major K K Gagra

21- Captain M R Gelip

22- Mr. Abdulkarim Zakari

23- Lieutenant Peter Ggani

24- Major Ola Ogunmekan

25- Lieutenant O Zagmi

26- Lieutenant S Wayah

27- Sergeant Ahmadu Rege

28- Sergeant Bala Javan

29- WO2 Sambo Dankshin

30- WO2 Emmanuel Dakup Seri

31- Major J W Kasai

EXECUTED ON THE 17TH OF MAY, 1976

Buka Suka Dimka
Joseph D Gomwalk
Lieutenant S Kwale
Warrant Officer H E Bawa
Colonel I Buka
Major J K Afolabi
H Shaiyen
See photos below:

6-MURTALA-MUHAMMED-BECOMES-HEAD-OF-STATE-OBJ-BISALLA_Naijarchives

The late General Murtala Muhammed (middle front row) with members of his Supreme Military Council. Standing on the extreme left is Bisalla, described as a traitor and eventually executed as a traitor.

Buka Suka Dimka after he was caught.
General Bisalla was described as the chief plotter of the 1976 coup and he is shown here tied to the stakes at the Bar Beach before his public execution.

Lieutenant Colonel Ayuba Tense being led out of Kirikiri Prison to the public execution ground.

Tense being tied to the stake.
Some of the plotters after their execution.

The condemned coup plotters.
73-MURTALA-MUHAMMED-COUP-PLOTTERS_Naijarchives 74-MURTALA-MUHAMMED-COUP-PLOTTERS_Naijarchives

75-MURTALA-MUHAMMED-COUP-PLOTTERS-KILLED_Naijarchives
Gomwalk and the others.
76-MURTALA-MUHAMMED-ARMY-CHAPLAIN-DIMKA_Naijarchives
An army chaplain praying for Dimka.
The last batch of coup plotters executed in 1976.
The last batch of coup plotters executed in 1976.
JAILED FOR LIFE, 1976

S K Dimka
D Contulla
Gyang Pam
Captain C Wuyep
Captain A A Maidobo
WO2 E Izah
Sergeant I Bupwada
2nd Lieutenant A Walbe
Major A K Abang
S Anyadofu
Helen Gomwalk
Captain Peter Tembong
OTHER PRISON SENTENCES, 1976

Captain I Gowon – sentenced to 15 years in prison.
J Tuwe – sentenced to 10 years in prison.
Lieutenant Colonel J S Madugu – sentenced to two years in prison.
In 1986, the following were charged by the General Ibrahim Babangida-led military government with plotting to overthrow the regime:

EXECUTED IN JANUARY 1986

Major-General Mamman Jiya Vatsa
Lieutenant Colonel Musa Bitiyong
Lieutenant Colonel Chris Oche
Lieutenant Mike Fyorshe
Major Daniel Bamidele
Squadron Leader Martin Luther
Wing Commander Ben Ekele
Commander A Ogwuyi
Wing Commander Adamu C Sakaba
Squadron Leader A Ahira
See photos below:

Pictured here are Idiagbon, General Muhammadu Buhari, Ibrahim Babangida and Mamman Vatsa on the front row while Navy Commodore Ebitu Ukiwe and Brigadier YY Kure are at the back. Image credits: Mamman Jiya Vatsa.
Pictured here are Idiagbon, General Muhammadu Buhari, Ibrahim Babangida and Mamman Vatsa on the front row while Navy Commodore Ebitu Ukiwe and Brigadier YY Kure are at the back. Image credits: Mamman Jiya Vatsa.
JAILED FOR LIFE

Lieutenant Colonel M Effiong
Major D E West
I B Akwashiki
In 1990, another set of coup plotters were rounded up by the Babangida regime and this is the end result:

EXECUTED IN APRIL 1990

Major Gideon Orkar
Lieutenant Awokoya E Akogun
Captain Nimibibowei Harley Empere
Lieutenant Cyril Okuser Ozoalor
2nd Lieutenant Arthur Bandenyintite Umukoro
Staff Sergeant Julius Itua
Sergeant Martins Ademokhai
Sergeant Pius Ilegar
Lieutenant Nicholas Odey
Captain Perebo Aboela Dakolo
WO2 Monday Bayefa
Lance Corporal Jephthan Inesai
Corporal Sunday Effiong
Lance Corporal Francis Ogo
Lance Corporal Samuel Mbasue
Lance Corporal Albert Ojerongbe
Lance Corporal Geofrey Deesiiyira
Lance Corporal Emmanuel Aiyemola
Sergeant Stephen Iyeke
Corporal Joseph Efe
WO2 Afolabi Moses
Lance Corporal Idowu Azeez
Lance Corporal Vitalis Udzer
WO2 Jonathan Ekimi
Staff Sergeant Solomon Okunbawa
Private Richard Isaghohi
2nd Lieutenant F J Esuku
Staff Sergeant Barnabas Jarikpe
Private Egwola Makpamenkun
Lance Corporal Adegamen Friday
Private Monday Esebawen
Private Nnadi Mogaha
Sergeant Etim Umoh
Ex-Corporal Wasiu Lawal
Ex- Lance Corporal Ekominar Makililo
Ex- Lance Corporal Peter Umuyoma
Ex Sigralman Goodluck Emefe
Ex-Staff Sergeant Sampson Idejere
Sergeant Jolly Agbodowei
Lance Corporal Samuel Obasayi
Private Osazuwa Osifo
Lance Corporal Goodluck Ofojarere
2nd Lieutenant Emmanuel O Alade
JAILED

Turner Ochuko Ogboru – sentenced to life imprisonment
Lance Corporal David Amoomo – sentenced to two years in prison
Sergeant Andoricheladonye – sentenced to two years in prison
Captain A Monju – sentenced to one year in prison
Sergeant John Alido – sentenced to seven years in prison
Patrick Etadafema – sentenced to seven years in prison
S A Francis Agaro – sentenced to seven years in prison
/Cpl. Ezekiel Akuodu – sentenced to seven years in prison
Private Ibrahim Egwa
In July 1995, the regime of General Sani Abacha (read all about him HERE) convicted the following of plotting a coup against it. They were later freed by the General Abubakar Alhaji Abdulsami regime but one of them (Major-General Musa Yar’adua) died during Abacha’s regime while in jail.

LIFE IMPRISONMENT

Colonel Lawan Gwadabe
Colonel O Oloruntoba
Colonel R S B Fadile
Ex-Major Akinloye Akinyemi
OTHER PRISON SENTENCES

Major-General Shehu Musa Yar’adua – sentenced to 25 years in jail but died in prison. His younger brother, Umaru, would later become the president of Nigeria in 2007.
Lieutenant Colonel E H Bulus – sentenced to 25 years in jail
Lieutenant Colonel S E Oyewole – sentenced to 25 years in jail
Colonel C A Ajayi – sentenced to 25 years in jail
Colonel R N Emokpae – sentenced to 25 years in jail
Lieutenant Colonel M A Igwe – sentenced to 25 years in jail
Colonel Ndubueze – sentenced to 25 years in jail
Lieutenant A Olowokere – sentenced to 25 years in jail
Major E O Obalisa – sentenced to 25 years in jail
Lieutenant Colonel M A Ajayi (rtd) – sentenced to 25 years in jail
General Olusegun Obasanjo – sentenced to 15 years in jail.
Later freed and became the president of Nigeria from 1999
to 2007 before handing over to Umaru Yar’adua.
Captain M A Ibrahim – sentenced to 15 years in jail
2nd Lieutenant R Emouvhe – sentenced to 15 years in jail
Staff Sergeant Patrick Usikpo – sentenced to 15 years in jail
Commodore Limu Fabiyi – sentenced to 15 years in jail
Ben Charles Obi – sentenced to 15 years in jail
Shehu Sani – sentenced to 15 years in jail. Now a senator representing
Kaduna State at the National Assembly.
Lieutenant Colonel R D Obiki – sentenced to 15 years in jail
Sanusi Mato – sentenced to 15 years in jail
Julius Badejo – sentenced to 15 years in jail
Matthew Popoola – sentenced to 15 years in jail
Chris Anyanwu – sentenced to 15 years in jail. A journalist,
she later became a senator of the federal republic representing Imo State.
George Mba – sentenced to 15 years in jail
Kunle Ajibade – sentenced to 15 years in jail
Moses Ayegba – sentenced to 15 years in jail
Rebecca Onyebi Ikpe – sentenced to 15 years in jail
Beko Ransome Kuti – sentenced to 15 years in jail
Felix Ndamagidon – sentenced to 15 years in jail

DECLARED WANTED

Lieutenant Colonel M Sambo Dasuki (rtd), later appointed the National Security Adviser by President Goodluck Jonathan.
Lieutenant Colonel C A A Nyiam
Great Ogboru
Benson Ikpe
Anthony Auroloyi

http://naijarchives.com/list-of-coup-plotters-in-nigeria-and-what-happened-to-them/

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them (viewers discretion) by Asuokaa: 12:44pm On Jul 13, 2015
more

2 Likes

Re: List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them (viewers discretion) by INTROVERT(f): 12:45pm On Jul 13, 2015
OP...

Put viewers discretion... grin

Lalasticlala cc

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them (viewers discretion) by Asuokaa: 12:45pm On Jul 13, 2015
more

Thanks

cc:lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them (viewers discretion) by dadarupees(m): 12:47pm On Jul 13, 2015
cry

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them (viewers discretion) by kazmanbanjoko(m): 12:51pm On Jul 13, 2015
Ok, seen

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them (viewers discretion) by Emekamex(m): 12:52pm On Jul 13, 2015
->Buhari should thank God that he is still alive.
->These are the fate of his fellow coupist.

86 Likes 12 Shares

Re: List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them (viewers discretion) by peterovanski(m): 12:57pm On Jul 13, 2015
Good God ...click like and you will never experience this kind of death

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them (viewers discretion) by frodobee: 1:02pm On Jul 13, 2015
Emekamex:
->Buhari should take God that he is still alive.
->These are the fate of his fellow coupist.

Frodobee :

He does not believe in God so he can't thank any. He was busy plotting a come back civilian coup with Boko Haram. He has blood in his hands and family. He is still undone, everyday atleast one bomb is let off by his boys.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them (viewers discretion) by Asuokaa: 1:06pm On Jul 13, 2015

1 Like

Re: List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them (viewers discretion) by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jul 13, 2015
undecided
Re: List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them (viewers discretion) by IamPatriotic(m): 1:07pm On Jul 13, 2015
Get rich or die trying.....Babangida, Buhari and Abacha are not better than those men, only they were fortunate.

67 Likes 8 Shares

Re: List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them (viewers discretion) by Built2last: 1:08pm On Jul 13, 2015
I am watching a movie titled Tyrant...similar

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them (viewers discretion) by Sunday8650: 1:09pm On Jul 13, 2015
Every corrupt. politician today deserve a place on that stake with their families together with them

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them (viewers discretion) by Asuokaa: 1:10pm On Jul 13, 2015
Built2last:
I am watching a movie titled Tyrant...similar

am already in season 2 of it already LOL...basssam planned a coup that failed kai

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them (viewers discretion) by Bilabong(m): 1:12pm On Jul 13, 2015
The reason why Nigeria in this kind of condition is because this kind of punishment is no more there.

5 Likes

Re: List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them (viewers discretion) by Built2last: 1:17pm On Jul 13, 2015
Asuokaa:

am already in season 2 of it already LOL...basssam planned a coup that failed kai

woooow, i need season 2. where can i get it.

i just ended where he failed in the coup...the thing pain me say the guy failed in that coup.

but i know Jamal will not kill him. he would rather exile him

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them (viewers discretion) by millhouse: 1:17pm On Jul 13, 2015
I tell u
Re: List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them (viewers discretion) by Asuokaa: 1:25pm On Jul 13, 2015
Built2last:

woooow, i need season 2. where can i get it.

i just ended where he failed in the coup...the thing pain me say the guy failed in that coup.

but i know Jamal will not kill him. he would rather exile him

lol jamal dumped in a desert...kai bassam suffer en..where do u stay i stay in lagos
Re: List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them (viewers discretion) by Built2last: 1:28pm On Jul 13, 2015
Asuokaa:

lol jamal dumped in a desert...kai bassam suffer en..where do u stay i stay in lagos

We are far apart.

i dey ABJ.

i will drive round and look for it or watch it online if i dont see

safe
Re: List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them (viewers discretion) by loomer: 1:29pm On Jul 13, 2015
Hmmm
Re: List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them (viewers discretion) by Franchise21(m): 1:29pm On Jul 13, 2015
OK
Re: List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them (viewers discretion) by Asuokaa: 1:30pm On Jul 13, 2015
Built2last:

We are far apart.

i dey ABJ.

i will drive round and look for it or watch it online if i dont see

safe

ok....
Re: List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them (viewers discretion) by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jul 13, 2015
Some of them were quite innocent of this.

13 Likes

Re: List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them (viewers discretion) by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jul 13, 2015
SOBER

5 Likes

Re: List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them (viewers discretion) by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jul 13, 2015
cry
Re: List Of Coup Plotters In Nigeria And What Happened To Them (viewers discretion) by thirthes: 1:31pm On Jul 13, 2015
Never bite the finger that feeds you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Yahoo Boys With Exotic Car And House Arrested By EFCC In Lagos. Photos / Terwase Akwaza 'Gana' Corpse: Before & After He Was Killed (Graphic Photos) / Retired Yahoo Boy Exposes Ritual Methods, Speaks On Eating Poo, Sex With Ladies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.