Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,906 members, 7,806,642 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:38 PM

Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done (4767 Views)

5 Masculine Chores I Did As A Female Child. / What Are Those House Chores That You Dont Like Doing? / Update; I Am 31 And getting married soon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Go Down)

Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by sistawoman: 3:53pm On Mar 09, 2009
See below my kid’s sex, age and chores

Boy 11
Mop kitchen floor, dinning room floor and hallway
Take out the trash
Clean bedroom, make bed

Girl 9
Clean Bathroom
Vacuum Living room Floor
Vacumm Game room floor
Clean bedroom, make bed

Boy 6
Pick up/put away all toys
Empty all trash cans into kitchen trash
Clean room, make bed

Weekend
Boy 11
Mop all floors 2nd level on hands and knees

Girl 9
Mop all floors on 3rd level on hands and knees

Boy 6
Move all dirty clothes to basement and sort colors and whites

I am having a great deal of trouble getting the chores done on a consistent basis and not having to raise my voice when I get home.

Am I asking too much, lets talk about parenting styles and motivation techniques for getting the work done.
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by JustGood(m): 4:17pm On Mar 09, 2009
When you have many kids, there's no way you're not going to have to raise your voice sometimes. It's just the way it works. kids will always be kids and you should not woryy yourself too much that you sometimes have to raise your voice for them to do stuff.
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by Iranoladun(f): 4:30pm On Mar 09, 2009
You are not asking for too much but most kids would rather you let them do their own things: watch movies, browse, listen to music etc but as parents we just have to be firm & consistent. Sometimes you may have to raise your voice to drive home the point; hopefully as they grow older they tend to be more responsible
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by sistawoman: 4:53pm On Mar 09, 2009
What kinds of chores do your children have?

How are they in getting them done everyday?

They get home from school at 3pm, I get home at 530 from work. I expect that chores and homework be done when i get home is this too much?
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by Treetop20(m): 6:25pm On Mar 09, 2009
sistawoman:

They get home from school at 3pm, I get home at 530 from work. I expect that chores and homework be done when i get home is this too much?
no you aren't
i think you are doing a good job by doing this
not watching tv all day long. I think they should also
do some after school things to keep busy. maybe sports
or some other stuff.
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by sistawoman: 7:24pm On Mar 09, 2009
both of the boys take Capoiera
My daughter is a cheerleader for her elem. school

The boys will be taking football in the fall
And my daughter will be a cheerleader.

They are only allowed 2 hours of tv per day - pre approved only

They have to read one book a week and do a book report on it

They have to read one story each a night (the two oldest) to thier younger brother.

The baby boy reads to me each night before he goes to bed.
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by sistawoman: 7:25pm On Mar 09, 2009
They try to cut corners too.

It annoys me to no end. I am very much the white glove type and have shown them several times how I expect thier chores to be done. So i get really annoyed when they say they are done but in fact they are not done correctly.
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by Uche2nna(m): 7:33pm On Mar 09, 2009
I like ur parenting style. Knowing from my mom's experience, it would sure take a lot keep everybody on track (lol).

U are not alone with the raising of the voice thingy. Very common in ma household. And sometimes when the shouting was not doing the thing (which is most of the time grin) , momsy supplements with the cane. Ouuuchhh!!!!

When I tell peeps here in the US about some whipping sessions I got from ma parents, they start feeling sorry for me as if I was abuised or something  shocked And then when I tell them that I am grateful for all those whippings, it knocks them off thier tracks.  grin
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by Outstrip(f): 11:24pm On Mar 09, 2009
I remember doing dishes, cooking, moping and sweeping the yard by the time I was in primary 6 (which I believe is like 11 or 12 years old). I think that it might be a little much for the 9 year old but then again hard work does not kill. I think you are doing a good job with them just don't over do it.
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by RichyBlacK(m): 1:15am On Mar 10, 2009
Create an incentive program for the kids; they'll work and smile at the same time.
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by amebono13: 1:46am On Mar 10, 2009
sistawoman:

i must say u r doing a great job with ur kids

but d highlighted part does not really go down well with me

u see whne dis kids come back from school,sometimes they feel exhausted,homework shouldnt be d thing there,rather they should take their baths,eat their food,and sleep for a few hours,then they r refreshed

but making them do all dis when they come back from school,i think its too harsh

anywayz we all  see things in diff ways
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by Nobody: 1:49am On Mar 10, 2009
If there is one thing parents need to learn - do not shout at your kids.
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by chamotex(m): 1:54am On Mar 10, 2009
amebo no1.:

i must say u r doing a great job with ur kids

but d highlighted part does not really go down well with me

u see whne dis kids come back from school,sometimes they feel exhausted,homework shouldnt be d thing there,rather they should take their baths,eat their food,and sleep for a few hours,then they r refreshed

but making them do all dis when they come back from school,i think its too harsh

anywayz we all see things in diff ways

kiss kiss kiss
I like cheesy
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by chamotex(m): 1:55am On Mar 10, 2009
davidylan:

If there is one thing parents need to learn - do not shout at your kids.

I like smiley
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by Sissy3(f): 2:08am On Mar 10, 2009
i dnt have kids yet ( still yrs away lol cheesy) but i do take care of children and this what i do with them when it comes to housework

1) I Post a "chore chart." and have them involved in the creation of the chore chart. i Decide together with them what chores will be listed and will be expected to be completed. I Use stickers or tie a pencil next to the chart for record keeping.

2) Chores should be appropriate to the child's age. Children in preschool should always have to put away toys. Children in early elementary school can help also with pets and putting their laundry away. The older children can also help with bigger tasks including vacuuming or sweeping, mopping, dusting, changing sheets, laundry and dishes.

3) Rewards for chores should also be age appropriate. It doesn't always have to be a monetary allowance. You can reward their responsibility with coupons for 1 on 1 time with a parent, a special activity of choice or a play date with a friend.   more time playing games, watching tv etc. just any fun thing that will boost their spirit and make them more eager to do the work. and always tell them what a great job they did. you know words of encouragement helps big time

4) there should be consequences if the work is not done. There is no reason to get upset and angry with your children when they do not want to do chores. they are children so just be easy and patient with them. it takes time
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by chamotex(m): 2:29am On Mar 10, 2009
~Sissy~:

i dnt have kids yet ( still yrs away lol cheesy) but i do take care of children and this what i do with them when it comes to housework

1) I Post a "chore chart." and have them involved in the creation of the chore chart. i Decide together with them what chores will be listed and will be expected to be completed. I Use stickers or tie a pencil next to the chart for record keeping.

2) Chores should be appropriate to the child's age. Children in preschool should always have to put away toys. Children in early elementary school can help also with pets and putting their laundry away. The older children can also help with bigger tasks including vacuuming or sweeping, mopping, dusting, changing sheets, laundry and dishes.

3) Rewards for chores should also be age appropriate. It doesn't always have to be a monetary allowance. You can reward their responsibility with coupons for 1 on 1 time with a parent, a special activity of choice or a play date with a friend.   more time playing games, watching tv etc. just any fun thing that will boost their spirit and make them more eager to do the work. and always tell them what a great job they did. you know words of encouragement helps big time

4) there should be consequences if the work is not done. There is no reason to get upset and angry with your children when they do not want to do chores. they are children so just be easy and patient with them. it takes time

kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by Sissy3(f): 2:36am On Mar 10, 2009
longest time shocked shocked shocked shocked

kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by chamotex(m): 2:41am On Mar 10, 2009
~Sissy~:

longest time shocked shocked shocked shocked

kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss

Letz get married so we can raise our kids the way u've mentioned.

Vegas??

i want 12 kids tho
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by Sissy3(f): 2:49am On Mar 10, 2009
chamotex:

Letz get married so we can raise our kids the way u've mentioned.

Vegas??

i want 12 kids tho

drive through wedding shocked shocked shocked cheesy cheesy cheesy they never last oo, unless u wan to b paying me child support every month cool

no nah i want a big white wedding tongue

12 kids shocked cheesy nahh dat numba small na, lets have 21 and break world record so our names will b in the Guinness book record wink
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by Nobody: 2:56am On Mar 10, 2009
Sistawoman, seems to me that the kids are the only one doing the chores.
What exactly do you do?

Don't get me wrong, kids ought to do chores in order to compensate for living under their parent's roof.

But what I HATE seeing is the parent not helping, while the kids are suffering under the weight of being students and doing excess chores, mommy sits there and watch.

Just a simple observation. wink
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by amebono13: 3:05am On Mar 10, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

What exactly do you do?

Don't get me wrong, kids ought to do chores in order to compensate for living under their parent's roof.

But what I HATE seeing is the parent not helping, while the kids are suffering under the weight of being students and doing excess chores, mommy sits there and watch.

exactly

im not against kids doing house chores,but forcing them to do it b4 5.30  when they come back from school at 3.00 is not really right,dis r kids, coming back from school they will feel exhausted,and dats why they dont do it right,cos they do all dis with a tired mind

if my daughter comes back from school,i will be d one telling her or her siblings to go take their bath,eat and sleep for a couple of hours,b4 they do anything in d house

and plss give dis kids the kind of work they deserve,for real when i was 11 my mum never used to allow me mop d house not to talk of scolding me when i dont do it right

plssssss dis r kids not adults
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by chamotex(m): 3:17am On Mar 10, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

What exactly do you do?

Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by Nobody: 3:20am On Mar 10, 2009
@@amebo
You got that right. . . .They need to bath, eat, rest a while and do their homework. Their homewroks is the first priority.

We used to the the chores after dinner, like arnd seven. Get done by 8, have enough time to study afterwards wink

Ans I HATE a lazy wife/mother. Your job is to see to it that the house is clean, by actually helping too (not saying Sisitawoman i tht kind of woman o)

@chamotex
lol, that's the way it is, hon.

Wanna live under my roof for free, you gotta pay.

It's like going to a guest' house and eating. I make sure I clean my dishes and the rest of the dishes in the sink before I leave.
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by DeReloaded: 3:22am On Mar 10, 2009
which one is moping on hands and knees?

Even Kunta Kente would say "No massah, I no do"
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by Hauwa1: 3:24am On Mar 10, 2009
mama is done given birth, now is time to rest, sit down cross your leg and give order while hussy gives you back therapy  cool
no housegirl and houseboy so the kids must work  grin mom must rest from 9 to 5, by the way, hussy must work too  wink
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by Hauwa1: 3:24am On Mar 10, 2009
like we do in naija now grin basin and soapy water with rag grin
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by amebono13: 3:30am On Mar 10, 2009
DeReloaded:

which one is moping on hands and knees?

Even Kunta Kente would say "No massah, I no do"

grin grin grin

@ebony

i want to know wat sistawoman does in d house apart from cooking,putting wine on d bed table waiting for her husband to come home and then they can share the drink togeda

its her kids anywayz,but no way im i going to treat my kids,or over stress them like dat

no way,even an 11 yr old maid,shouldnt be treated like dat
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by chamotex(m): 3:34am On Mar 10, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

@chamotex
lol, that's the way it is, hon.

Wanna live under my roof for free, you gotta pay.

It's like going to a guest' house and eating. I make sure I clean my dishes and the rest of the dishes in the sink before I leave.

Can u stop calling me "hon"

no spoil market for me jor
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by DeReloaded: 3:34am On Mar 10, 2009
I bet the kids are the ones who pour out the wine and run the bubble bath for these 5 round sessions sef
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by Hauwa1: 3:36am On Mar 10, 2009
lol grin grin
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by amebono13: 3:36am On Mar 10, 2009
DeReloaded:

I bet the kids are the ones who pour out the wine and run the bubble bath for these 5 round sessions sef

hahahahahahhahaah,hahahahahaha no dis is so funny grin grin grin grin

maybe they r d ones dat wear her ,her favourite aroma scent,and then pour her d wine she uses to swallow her hubbys sperm

seriously,dis kids might not grow well,dis work is too much for their age

haba
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by Moonstone(f): 3:37am On Mar 10, 2009
I almost pity the children but I guess the earlier the better. At 6, the only chore i did was to lay my bed and sweep the floor and I'm a girl so I think it's too much for the 6-year old boy.

As for Chamo and Ebony, I see you o! Toba ya, wa ma kigbe A-40. . . alainise  cheesy cheesy *writes in journal*

(1) (2) (3) (4)

Who Is Suppose To Ask My Father How Much My Bride Price: / A Few Thoughts On Unclothedness AKA N@kedness / You Must Tell Me Everything That's Going On In Your Marriage: Mother-in-law

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.