Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,779 members, 7,802,399 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:44 PM

US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage (728 Views)

Things You Need To Accept In Your Relationship To Be Happy / Guys: She Drops This After Cheating & Breaking Up With You Will You Accept It? / The Bitter Truth Most Ladies Refuse To Accept (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by naruto02(m): 1:48am On Jul 15, 2015
As President Muhammadu Buhari prepares to meet with his United States counterpart, Barack Obama, in the White House next Monday, the US government is expected to make another case asking the Nigerian government to repeal its law against same-sex unions.

Making this known Monday, the US Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs, Linda Thomas-Greenfield, stated that the US would continue to pressure Nigeria until it legalises same-sex marriage.

According to the Nigerian Pilot, Thomas-Greenfield revealed America’s plans yesterday during a live-web chat with journalists in Washington DC.

US recently legalised gay marriage, a development, which sparked off mixed reactions across the globe.
Thomas-Greenfield, who said the US had adopted the protection of the rights of same-sex people as part of its foreign policies, vowed that Washington would continue to mount and sustain pressure on Nigeria and other countries to reverse their laws against lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgender (LGBT) community.

She said: “As a government, it is one of the highest priorities and strongest values that discrimination against anyone based on their sexual orientation and gender identity is wrong. We believe human rights should be available to everybody.
“As a policy, we will continue to press the government of Nigeria, as well as other governments which have provided legislation that discriminate against the LGBT community.”

Thomas-Greenfield, who did not agree that pressuring Nigeria to reverse the anti-gay law amounted to interference, said Nigeria and Uganda have the hardest legislation on the gay community.

She said: “This is very much a work in progress, but I think you will agree with me that the law in Nigeria really went far in discriminating against this community but also people who associate with them. So, we will continue to press the government, to press the legislature to change these laws and provide human rights for all Nigerian people regardless of their sexual orientation.”
Thomas-Greenfield was optimistic that the US would win the fight to protect the LGBT community.

She continued: “With what is happening in the US, you can determine how far we are willing to go. We strongly believe human rights for all people and we are particularly opposed to legislation that actually targets the gay community for discrimination.
“So we are prepared to push this as a policy, not just in Africa but across the world.”
Re: US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by blazer90707: 1:56am On Jul 15, 2015
Dey should just park well
Re: US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by IamLEGEND1: 3:14am On Jul 15, 2015
LOLZzzzzzz

You can try if you want. No one is stopping you.

but the day you succeed, an improvised explosive device will be found in obama's chambers.
Re: US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 3:17am On Jul 15, 2015
To all those who knows me here on Nairaland my name is WARRIBLOOD aka K.O.W (the king of wordplay)
Rap battle forum..

Am from Delta state.. born And Bred In WARRI-City
But most of it all.. am a Musician.. been doing. This shitt for 5years na.

But bros.. no promoters mehn. alot of my guys some done run come Lagos because of this music stuff... hoping to blow like wizkid..

Because back here in waff town nobody cares about entertainment..imagine we were there when wizkid blew..
And now we are still here.. when korede bello blow..
Even lil kesh.. and now kiss Daniel.

Please don't get me wrong.. I ain't hating on them it's their luck.. but to you bro do you think we happy..

Enough said... just did this new tracklast week..?
Titled. TAP OUT people says its a hit track
PLEASE DOWNLOAD!!! https://www.nairaland.com/2452260/baba-god..when-go-take-blow#35872499
Re: US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by davien(m): 6:23am On Jul 15, 2015
Well i wonder how it's going to happen with nigerians being hypocrites...child marriages and pedophilia go on unreported and openly,but two grown-up individuals who just happens to be the same sex can't get married or recognized as a couple? undecided
Re: US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by gamaliel121(m): 7:01am On Jul 15, 2015
Maranatha...come lord jesus
Re: US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage by YuhDarlinHubby: 7:47am On Jul 15, 2015

(1) (Reply)

NO Sex:what Should I Do? / D’banj Kisses Bonang Matheba As He Bags Evolutionary Award’ (see Photos) / Fact About You Ladies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.