Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,515 members, 7,808,878 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:31 PM

What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? (37626 Views)

James Ayatse's Daughter, Doofan Ayatse Marries. 1000 Paid As Bride Price / Olori Wuraola Returns Bride Price To Ooni Of Ife / Benue Community Exhumes Corpse After 48 Years, To Be Reburied In Hometown (PIX) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by tivta(m): 4:14pm On Jul 16, 2015
Any idea of the cost of bride price in asaba?
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by wristbangle: 4:14pm On Jul 16, 2015
huthority01:
42 Bitter kolas (Orogbo)
42 Tubers of yam (Isu)
42 Kolanuts (Obi abata)
42 Chilli/Alligator Peppers (Atare)
42 pieces of dried Fish (Eja Osan)
1 Dish of peppered corn meal (Aadun)
1 Pack of Sugar
2 Baskets of Fruit
2 Decanters filled with honey
4 Crates of canned or bottled soft drinks
4 Crates malt soft drinks
4 Cartons of bottled water
2 Bottles of non alcoholic wine
2 Cartons of fruit juice
1 Bag of salt
1 Bag of rice
1 Umbrella
1 Goat
1 Keg of palm wine
1 Keg of groundnut oil
1 Big suitcase containing clothes, shoes and hand bags including aso-oke fabric, 2 sets of lace with gele and 2 sets of ankara
1 Wrist watch, Earrings and Chains
Biscuits and Sweets
Engagement rings for bride and groom
Bible(for Christians)

Monitory / Fees

Owo Ori (The Bride Price) – Varies
Owo Ijoko Agba (Money for the elders consent) – N,1000
Owo Baba Gbo (Money for the bride’s father’s consent) – N,1000
Owo Iya Gbo (Money for the bride’s mother’s consent) – N1,000
Owo Ikanlekun(Door knocking fee) – N1000
Owo Isiju Iyawo (Fee for unveiling the bride) – N1,000
Owo Aeroplane (Bride transportation fee) – N1,000
Owo Iyawo Ile (Money for the Housewives) -N500
Owo Omo Ile (Money for the Children of the household) – N500
Owo letter kika (Letter reading fee)-N500
Owo Telephone (Fee to call the bride out) – N500
Owo Isigba (Engagement gifts unveiling fee) – N500
Owo Alaga Ijoko (Master of Ceremonies fee) – N500

Sir, how much is the total?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jul 16, 2015
Umuchoke:

Actually, Mbaise is the most expensive in Imo, but I don't think their bride price is above 2k
Make I sell the farm I inherit from my grand dad and my papa few cows.
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by sukkot: 4:16pm On Jul 16, 2015
Umuchoke:

Brother, pls do tell me. U mean I can actually marry for free? grin
the father is the one who needs to be paying you for marrying his daughter. you are taking his responsibility from his hand and taking it as your own responsibility. he should be paying you for that. you know how many thirty something and forty something year olds are still at home and cant find a man to marry them ? you are doing the father a favor by making his daughter a honest woman and taking the responsibility from him. now he can either pay you for taking away his responsibility or he can give you his blessings. its ridiculous paying a man for his daughter. that means you are a mugu. you just got played. took on responsibility and then paid for it smiley

1 Like

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by nellyelitz(m): 4:16pm On Jul 16, 2015
ghettodreamz:
The Yorubas do not sell their kids to be married away.

Although, most parents will ask for a certain price on the list of things expected of the spouse; however, the bride price is later being returned to the husband-to-be. All what most Yoruba's parents care about is seeing their daughters being well-taken care of and happy in her matrimonial home, and not feeding fat on the money being paid as bride price on their daughter or taking advantage of the opportunity to get rich.

I wish the same could be said of some other Nigerian ethnicity, lol. cheesy

Just marry a cultured Yoruba girl and save yourself the agony of waiting several years of saving millions of naira in the name of buying a wife paying a bride price. smiley
but them too worwor abeg

1 Like

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jul 16, 2015
huthority01:
42 Bitter kolas (Orogbo)
42 Tubers of yam (Isu)
42 Kolanuts (Obi abata)
42 Chilli/Alligator Peppers (Atare)
42 pieces of dried Fish (Eja Osan)
1 Dish of peppered corn meal (Aadun)
1 Pack of Sugar
2 Baskets of Fruit
2 Decanters filled with honey
4 Crates of canned or bottled soft drinks
4 Crates malt soft drinks
4 Cartons of bottled water
2 Bottles of non alcoholic wine
2 Cartons of fruit juice
1 Bag of salt
1 Bag of rice
1 Umbrella
1 Goat
1 Keg of palm wine
1 Keg of groundnut oil
1 Big suitcase containing clothes, shoes and hand bags including aso-oke fabric, 2 sets of lace with gele and 2 sets of ankara
1 Wrist watch, Earrings and Chains
Biscuits and Sweets
Engagement rings for bride and groom
Bible(for Christians)

Monitory / Fees

my side just d goat, yam, kolanut, drinks, rice, salt and oil, is important, d rest na if u get d power.
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by nellyelitz(m): 4:17pm On Jul 16, 2015
sonofananimal1:

angry

I REFUSE TO MAKE ANY COMMENT

FOR MY SIDE, I SWEAR NA 10NAIRA WE DEY PAY BRIDE PRICE. BUT ME NO WON THOSE GIRLS,

COS IF YOU MARRY THEM YOU DON MARRY ANOTHER SPIRIT ON TOPangry
bros na for where
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by twistakelv: 4:17pm On Jul 16, 2015
#1500 mtn recharge with samsung charger

1 Like

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jul 16, 2015
Sanmi405:
25litre of palm oil, 1bag of rice, 40 tubers of yam, drinks for the elders, kolanut and N5000. (although your N5000 will be returned but the rest will be shared among family members)
AND YOU ARE STILL SINGLE!
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jul 16, 2015
[quote author=nellyelitz post=35933602]guy don't go there ooo![/quote

Make I 'bolt'!
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by nellyelitz(m): 4:18pm On Jul 16, 2015
chuna1985:

I know MBA ise and I know their compulsory bride price is not high. quit that nonsense.
how much
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 16, 2015
Saklekplus:
Yoruba = between 0naira to 30k

Hausa = between 10 to 30k

Igbo = between 400k to 2m

Modified grin

1 Like

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 16, 2015
wristbangle:

wristbangle:

no nid to calculate jst arrange N200k
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Umuchoke(m): 4:20pm On Jul 16, 2015
ghettodreamz:
The Yorubas do not sell their kids to be married away.

Although, most parents will ask for a certain price on the list of things expected of the spouse; however, the bride price is later being returned to the husband-to-be. All what most Yoruba's parents care about is seeing their daughters being well-taken care of and happy in her matrimonial home, and not feeding fat on the money being paid as bride price on their daughter or taking advantage of the opportunity to get rich.

I wish the same could be said of some other Nigerian ethnicity, lol. cheesy

Just marry a cultured Yoruba girl and save yourself the agony of waiting several years of saving millions of naira in the name of buying a wife paying a bride price. smiley
Yes, but the owambe that follows can cost you a fortune wink

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Umuchoke(m): 4:21pm On Jul 16, 2015
sonofananimal1:

angry

I REFUSE TO MAKE ANY COMMENT

FOR MY SIDE, I SWEAR NA 10NAIRA WE DEY PAY BRIDE PRICE. BUT ME NO WON THOSE GIRLS,

COS IF YOU MARRY THEM YOU DON MARRY ANOTHER SPIRIT ON TOPangry
grin grin grin
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jul 16, 2015
gassdon:
AND YOU ARE STILL SINGLE!
ii neva reach to marry
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by MrBasketball: 4:22pm On Jul 16, 2015
nellyelitz:
but them too worwor abeg
You daft no be small.
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Johnestins1(m): 4:22pm On Jul 16, 2015
Umuchoke:
Despite our religion/tribal differences, Nigerians still intermarry for the sake of love. So this thread is mainly for young men who are tired of being bachelors but are scared of THE LONG LIST grin (Igbo Kwenu!!!).

Although, what most people don't know is that the LIST they give you in the Southeast is very, very negotiable - it's not compulsory you buy every item on it, unless you wish to. The only thing you can't negotiate is the BRIDE PRICE, which is ridiculously cheap.
For instance, in my place, Umuchoke, Amaigbo, Imo State, the bride price is just N150 only. Please tell us yours.
our own bride price is 50naira plus 1plot of land @lekki, ikoyi or ikeja, or @abuja, and u must and I repeat u must get @least 15m in ur account

1 Like

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by wristbangle: 4:23pm On Jul 16, 2015
Sanmi405:
no nid to calculate jst arrange N200k

Hmmm. Ok
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Umuchoke(m): 4:24pm On Jul 16, 2015
sukkot:
the father is the one who needs to be paying you for marrying his daughter. you are taking his responsibility from his hand and taking it as your own responsibility. he should be paying you for that. you know how many thirty something and forty something year olds are still at home and cant find a man to marry them ? you are doing the father a favor by making his daughter a honest woman and taking the responsibility from him. now he can either pay you for taking away his responsibility or he can give you his blessings. its ridiculous paying a man for his daughter. that means you are a mugu. you just got played. took on responsibility and then paid for it smiley
LMAO! I refuse to believe this. Oya, tell me. Where is that? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by MrBasketball: 4:24pm On Jul 16, 2015
Joavid:

Modified grin
You have a big problem... Silly girl.
Why edit his post? undecided
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jul 16, 2015
wristbangle:

grin grin grin grin

Baba chill eh! I understand ur anger for naija babes but d thing is u will marry one. Remember ur mum is a nigerian.
angry IF YOU KNOW WETI THOSE CREATURE DO ME HEH?
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Johnestins1(m): 4:24pm On Jul 16, 2015
Marriage now na business

1 Like

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Umuchoke(m): 4:25pm On Jul 16, 2015
Johnestins1:

our own bride price is 50naira plus 1plot of land @lekki, ikoyi or ikeja, or @abuja, and u must and I repeat u must get @least 15m in ur account
Abeg, go sit down jo. Naim be say girls go wait tire for una village cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jul 16, 2015
MrBasketball:

You have a big problem... Silly girl.
Why edit his post? undecided

grin grin grin grin
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by sukkot: 4:27pm On Jul 16, 2015
Umuchoke:

LMAO! I refuse to believe this. Oya, tell me. Where is that? grin grin grin
where is that ? any civilized country or any civilized tribe or individual in nigeria will see it like that. i refuse to accept money if someone marries my daughter. in fact i will pay the man and make sure he is financially comfortable to look after her. set him up with a business and a house and a car so he can continue my responsibility for me

1 Like

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by nellyelitz(m): 4:29pm On Jul 16, 2015
MrBasketball:

You daft no be small.
even the devil hates truth...how much more him pikin
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by MrBasketball: 4:29pm On Jul 16, 2015
Joavid:

grin grin grin grin
And what's funny?
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by MrBasketball: 4:30pm On Jul 16, 2015
nellyelitz:
even the devil hates truth...how much more him pikin

What's your point?
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jul 16, 2015
please y'all should say the total or estimated price of the dowry list jorrr and save us Bachelor from the stress, make person for plan well angry

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jul 16, 2015
sukkot:
where is that ? any civilized country or any civilized tribe or individual in nigeria will see it like that. i refuse to accept money if someone marries my daughter. in fact i will pay the man and make sure he is financially comfortable to look after her. set him up with a business and a house and a car so he can continue my responsibility for me

Pls how old is ur daughter, I hope she is done reach 12yrs cheesy .. before u attack me, don't blame me o, blame Nigeria House of Assembly.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

EndSARS : Oba Rilwan akinolu Returns To Palace Two Months After Mob Invasion / A Photographic Tour Of Southwest Nigerian Peoples / Half-Unclad Gbagyi Men At Gbagyi Festival In Abuja (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.