Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,072 members, 7,807,210 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:08 AM

What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? (37612 Views)

James Ayatse's Daughter, Doofan Ayatse Marries. 1000 Paid As Bride Price / Olori Wuraola Returns Bride Price To Ooni Of Ife / Benue Community Exhumes Corpse After 48 Years, To Be Reburied In Hometown (PIX) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by tankoy: 4:37pm On Jul 16, 2015
N50,000 12goats An ewe 60 tubers of yams A bag of guinea corn
zing. Taraba State

1 Like

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by wristbangle: 4:37pm On Jul 16, 2015
sonofananimal1:
angry IF YOU KNOW WETI THOSE CREATURE DO ME HEH?

Heya. Same here bro but man gat to move on. Just make ur money and see how they ll be after u like mugu.
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Toks2008(m): 4:37pm On Jul 16, 2015
That moment when an Igbo lady says there is a generational curse that is making ladies in their lineage find it difficult to get married.
Please help me tell her that no matter the prayer and fasting,the curse will never go away until their tradition of crazy bride price is eliminated.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by ibroauthen(m): 4:37pm On Jul 16, 2015
AgbenuAnna:
highest #500 Benue state ogbadibo local government

So na #500 dem go use marry u or dem use marry u?
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Supplanter(m): 4:38pm On Jul 16, 2015
From my place in Ughelli, delta state, the pride price is not up to #500 and the list given to the groom, it's not compulsory he pays them at once.
Anybody with idea of how much the bride price and the list to be given to the groom to marry a lady from Ugep in Yakuurr local government from Cross River state? That's where I've decided to marry from. cheesy
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Umuchoke(m): 4:38pm On Jul 16, 2015
sukkot:
where is that ? any civilized country or any civilized tribe or individual in nigeria will see it like that. i refuse to accept money if someone marries my daughter. in fact i will pay the man and make sure he is financially comfortable to look after her. set him up with a business and a house and a car so he can continue my responsibility for me
Hian! Na so you no value woman reach? Do you know parents actually spend more in training their daughters than they spend for their sons? Don't mistake me for being a feminist, but it's a no-no calling your daughter a responsibility. I even pray I get a daughter first before a son when I marry, because they're more caring than the boys when they're still little. They're priceless assets, bro, not responsibilities

1 Like

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Jennifer89(f): 4:39pm On Jul 16, 2015
Umuchoke:
Not true
Not true? yeah it is
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jul 16, 2015
wristbangle:

Heya. Same here bro but man gat to move on. Just make ur money and see how they ll be after u like mugu.
NA THE PROBLEM WITH ME NOW, THEM DEY AFTER ME BUT HOW I GO TAKE KNOW THE BETTER ONE, COS IF YOU NO GET MONEY, THEM GO JUST LEAVE YOU JUMP GO THE NEXT ONE
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Chigold101(m): 4:40pm On Jul 16, 2015
Saklekplus:
Yoruba = between 20 to 80k
Hausa = between 10 to 30k
Igbo = between 200 to 600k
lolzzzz you dont know anything at all.

My wife is from Orumba North & I am from Aguate... All in Anambra state. Everything I spent both bride price, food & drink for my trad is about 40k. Incluiding the vehicle that transported my kindred to the place.

Most times i blame guys for their predicament. When you are dating a girl and you are buying her all kinds of stuff. Puffing up trying to impress both the girl and her family. Why wont they bring knife to slash off your head.

I also blame ladies who become very weak when they face their parents. They forgot that after paying heavy amount of money, na she hunger go fire.

In my family we collect 8k for the father & 2k for the mother... Thats 10k... Only soft drinks and non alcoholic wine.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Toks2008(m): 4:40pm On Jul 16, 2015
huthority01:
42 Bitter kolas (Orogbo)
42 Tubers of yam (Isu)
42 Kolanuts (Obi abata)
42 Chilli/Alligator Peppers (Atare)
42 pieces of dried Fish (Eja Osan)
1 Dish of peppered corn meal (Aadun)
1 Pack of Sugar
2 Baskets of Fruit
2 Decanters filled with honey
4 Crates of canned or bottled soft drinks
4 Crates malt soft drinks
4 Cartons of bottled water
2 Bottles of non alcoholic wine
2 Cartons of fruit juice
1 Bag of salt
1 Bag of rice
1 Umbrella
1 Goat
1 Keg of palm wine
1 Keg of groundnut oil
1 Big suitcase containing clothes, shoes and hand bags including aso-oke fabric, 2 sets of lace with gele and 2 sets of ankara
1 Wrist watch, Earrings and Chains
Biscuits and Sweets
Engagement rings for bride and groom
Bible(for Christians)

Monitory / Fees

Owo Ori (The Bride Price) – Varies
Owo Ijoko Agba (Money for the elders consent) – N,1000
Owo Baba Gbo (Money for the bride’s father’s consent) – N,1000
Owo Iya Gbo (Money for the bride’s mother’s consent) – N1,000
Owo Ikanlekun(Door knocking fee) – N1000
Owo Isiju Iyawo (Fee for unveiling the bride) – N1,000
Owo Aeroplane (Bride transportation fee) – N1,000
Owo Iyawo Ile (Money for the Housewives) -N500
Owo Omo Ile (Money for the Children of the household) – N500
Owo letter kika (Letter reading fee)-N500
Owo Telephone (Fee to call the bride out) – N500
Owo Isigba (Engagement gifts unveiling fee) – N500
Owo Alaga Ijoko (Master of Ceremonies fee) – N500

This is why many Igbo brothers are dumping their own to rush for our beautiful yoruba sisters.

The Igbos should learn.Some igbo ladies even say our Yoruba ladies are cheap and i simply laugh.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Toks2008(m): 4:41pm On Jul 16, 2015
Chigold101:

My wife is from Orumba North & I am from Aguate... All in Anambra state. Everything I spent both bride price, food & drink for my trad is about 40k. Incluiding the vehicle that transported my kindred to the place.

Most times i blame guys for their predicament. When you are dating a girl and you are buying her all kinds of stuff. Puffing up trying to impress both the girl and her family. Why wont they bring knife to slash off your head.

I also blame ladies who become very weak when they face their parents. They forgot that after paying heavy amount of money, na she hunger go fire.

In my family we collect 8k for the father & 2k for the mother... Thats 10k... Only soft drinks and non alcoholic wine.

Good for you.At least they considered you fairly,many will not.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by sukkot: 4:43pm On Jul 16, 2015
Umuchoke:

Hian! Na so you no value woman reach? Do you know parents actually spend more in training their daughters than they spend for their sons? Don't mistake me for being a feminist, but it's a no-no calling your daughter a responsibility. I even pray I get a daughter first before a son when I marry, because they're more caring than the boys when they're still little. They're priceless assets, bro, not responsibilities
i am not selling my daughter to any man. i cant even look at a kid my daughters age in the face after i have collected money from him for my daughter. listen my daughter will not be sold and if something happens to her while she is in her husbands house i want to be able to intervene with a straight face. if you have sold her to her husband you cant intervene in that house again. you have no right to. he has bought your daughter from you.. he paid you so he can kick you out of his house if you interfere when he is beating your daughter. thats his property now. he paid for it.

yeah me and my daughter not going out like that. anytime the nigga misbehaves i am coming in there to kick his ass and i can do that with a straight face cuz i didnt sell my daughter to him. no money was exhanged

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Umuchoke(m): 4:45pm On Jul 16, 2015
Chigold101:

@the words in bold, you're so on point! Most times the girls are the cause of this 'predicament'. They tend to rate and place you high before their friends and family, hence motivating the parents and kindred to present u with a long list of items. But they forget that they will be the ones to bear the grunges if you go broke tomorrow

1 Like

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by sukkot: 4:45pm On Jul 16, 2015
Stelvin101:

Pls how old is ur daughter, I hope she is done reach 12yrs cheesy .. before u attack me, don't blame me o, blame Nigeria House of Assembly.
bros leave matter for matthias grin
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Supplanter(m): 4:46pm On Jul 16, 2015
From my place in Ughelli, delta state, the bride price is not up to #500 and the list given to the groom, it's not compulsory he pays or provide them all at once.
Anybody with idea of how much the bride price and the list to be given to the groom to marry a lady from Ugep in Yakuurr local government from Cross River state? That's where I've decided to marry from. cheesy
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Umuchoke(m): 4:47pm On Jul 16, 2015
Toks2008:

This is why many Igbo brothers are dumping their own to rush for our beautiful yoruba sisters.

The Igbos should learn.Some igbo ladies even say our Yoruba ladies are cheap and i simply laugh.
True, Yorubas, in general, are easier to marry. The marriage rites won't put a hole in ur pocket. But then it depends on the people getting married and their families

1 Like

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Collinsemegreat(m): 4:51pm On Jul 16, 2015
Ishilove:
In my side, the Ukwuani speaking part of Delta state, the bride price is 10k.

Dem don dey tear eye small small grin grin
me na ukwuani too o! Dalle?
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by spencekat(m): 4:54pm On Jul 16, 2015
Saklekplus:
Yoruba = between 20 to 80k
Hausa = between 10 to 30k
Igbo = between 200 to 600k
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Chigold101(m): 4:55pm On Jul 16, 2015
Ishilove:

lolzzz marriage is not really about bride‘s price but about other things that follow. Like cost of drinks, cost of food, cost clothes for parents & ashoebi etc.
I know a place where u will spend more than 200k but the bride‘s prsice is 20niara. The reason is after spending that huge amount of money in ceremony if anything goes wrong and you talk about divorce, they will sharpaaly refund ur 20niara.
So it is not about “just“ the bride‘s price but about the total sum spent both in wedding & trad.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Henrhyme4u(m): 4:56pm On Jul 16, 2015
Ofe ni igbala just come with one golden Ferrari
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Toks2008(m): 5:01pm On Jul 16, 2015
Foolishness is when a lady leaves a guy she really loves and also loves her and ready for marriage but does not have money for big marriage ceremony to be with a guy who may not really love her but will gladly say i do to him because he has the money for marriage ceremony.

Many ladies in Nigeria have mistaken marriage proper for marriage ceremony as they take the latter more important than the former.

Ironically many ladies have no business being single at 30 not even at 27 but many of them have foolishly dwell on a picture of flamboyant wedding which is perfectly ok but they make it a must before they can actually see themselves as married.

A couple can have a very low keyed wedding ceremony and latter when the money is available they can do a super expensive ceremony but its so so unfortunate that a typical naija girl at 25 will have a guy at 30 wanting to marry her and this guy actually have a roof over his head but because he has no money at that point to organize a big time wedding,our gullible ladies will say HE IS NOT READY FOR MARRIAGE yet he continues to bleep them front back and center and when he is probably ready for marriage ceremony,he dumps their silly ass after sucking the whole nectar in them and they will start crying fowl that one innocent person from their village is after them.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by sukkot: 5:02pm On Jul 16, 2015
Umuchoke:

oh and let me address the bolded. brah ? whether you choose to acknowledge it or not, your children, including your daughter is your responsibility. there is a reason why that man on frontpage ran away when his wife gave birth to twins. cuz the weight of the responsibility scared him. they are your responsibility not your asset.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Umuchoke(m): 5:05pm On Jul 16, 2015
sukkot:
i am not selling my daughter to any man. i cant even look at a kid my daughters age in the face after i have collected money from him for my daughter. listen my daughter will not be sold and if something happens to her while she is in her husbands house i want to be able to intervene with a straight face. if you have sold her to her husband you cant intervene in that house again. you have no right to. he has bought your daughter from you.. he paid you so he can kick you out of his house if you interfere when he is beating your daughter. thats his property now. he paid for it.

yeah me and my daughter not going out like that. anytime the nigga misbehaves i am coming in there to kick his ass and i can do that with a straight face cuz i didnt sell my daughter to him. no money was exhanged
Nobody actually sells his daughter out. They're not slaves or animals, so why use the term 'sell' in marriage? It's African tradition, everywhere, that a bride price be paid to parents before a daughter is given out. In most cases, this bride price is not spent, as some people here have highlighted. It's just to show that marriage is not for free. Ok, take another scenario..the Fulanis. They make the groom hold a large mirror with both hands while young men lash his back with koboko. This is just a test of courage that the young man is capable of taking care of a woman. Secondly, I don't think it's right to go all about nosing in the affairs of your married daughter. If eventually she has issues with her husband, your job is to come in as elder and offer words of advice, not to kick the nigga's ass. grin I was joking before, but on a serious note, I can never accept to marry a girl I love free of charge. It shows no respect or dignity for womanhood smiley

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by MightyMuna(m): 5:06pm On Jul 16, 2015
I'm from Abia. Umuyota, Umuawa-Alocha, Umuahia.

I have no idea about the bride price of my hometown.

I'd appreciate it if someone can tell me. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Chigold101(m): 5:07pm On Jul 16, 2015
Toks2008:

Good for you.At least they considered you fairly,many will not.
well my wife made her people to see me as someone that doesnt have. Therefore when their umunna brought their list, one man whom i dont know from anywhere & claim that he is my middle man. The man rejected the list brought by umunna (which is not much anyway. If i had followed their list, it would have cost me like 70k for evertthing). And wrote something that i looked at and couldnt believe it. The man stood by me & it was just fun and wonderful.

Also it worked for me cos my father inlaw does not join them when they charge a visitor high.

So am thankful to that man that played the middle man.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by sukkot: 5:12pm On Jul 16, 2015
Umuchoke:

Nobody actually sells his daughter out. They're not slaves or animals, so why use the term 'sell' in marriage? It's African tradition, everywhere, that a bride price be paid to parents before a daughter is given out. In most cases, this bride price is not spent, as some people here have highlighted. It's just to show that marriage is not for free. Ok, take another scenario..the Fulanis. They make the groom hold a large mirror with both hands while young men lash his back with koboko. This is just a test of courage that the young man is capable of taking care of a woman. Secondly, I don't think it's right to go all about nosing in the affairs of your married daughter. If eventually she has issues with her husband, your job is to come in as elder and offer words of advice, not to kick the nigga's ass. grin I was joking before, but on a serious note, I can never accept to marry a girl I love free of charge. It shows no respect or dignity for womanhood smiley
ahhh but you wanting to pay for her is what shows lack of respect or dignity for womanhood. now she is a commodity to you

as for the african tradition thing, alot of african tradition is obsolete and outdated and needs to be scrapped. this is 2015. as for me kicking a niggas ass if he beating my daughter ? hell yeah i will beat his ass. is he crazy ? he better have a very genuine reason for beating her. only reasons i will accept are she slept with someone else or she is a husband abuser and i just decided to give her a taste of the beatings she gives me.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Umuchoke(m): 5:16pm On Jul 16, 2015
sukkot:
oh and let me address the bolded. brah ? whether you choose to acknowledge it or not, your children, including your daughter is your responsibility. there is a reason why that man on frontpage ran away when his wife gave birth to twins. cuz the weight of the responsibility scared him. they are your responsibility not your asset.
A responsibility that will later become an asset. Bro, haven't you seen a poor family turn rich after a single marriage from a daughter? You may struggle hard today, incur debts and pay bills to raise her, and regain everything in ten folds tomorrow after she marries. Daughters are assets smiley
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by dblaisepascal(m): 5:17pm On Jul 16, 2015
DaGC:
Varies. Some take from N10 - N50 others between N70 - N120....but never seen a case of more than N200.

We do it this way to stem the notion that you are buying our daughter. Because if you eff up, instantly your fee will be refunded and we can take our daughter back. Some clans even want their daughters buried in her father's place instead of the husband's, because they didn't sell her to the man. Its not his property.
Ishan land I guess
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by sukkot: 5:19pm On Jul 16, 2015
Umuchoke:

A responsibility that will later become an asset. Bro, haven't you seen a poor family turn rich after a single marriage from a daughter? You may struggle hard today, incur debts and pay bills to raise her, and regain everything in ten folds tomorrow after she marries. Daughters are assets smiley
so you see your children as potential atm cards ? yeah we definitely have two different mindsets tongue

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jul 16, 2015
For southwest na free.Just impregnates one of their daughter and she is all yours for free.
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by Umuchoke(m): 5:30pm On Jul 16, 2015
sukkot:
ahhh but you wanting to pay for her is what shows lack of respect or dignity for womanhood. now she is a commodity to you

as for the african tradition thing, alot of african tradition is obsolete and outdated and needs to be scrapped. this is 2015. as for me kicking a niggas ass if he beating my daughter ? hell yeah i will beat his ass. is he crazy ? he better have a very genuine reason for beating her. only reasons i will accept are she slept with someone else or she is a husband abuser and i just decided to give her a taste of the beatings she gives me.
Lmao! You can't change God's design. Women are meant to be on the receiving end. When you newly meet a girl, it is you, the man, that will blow all the necessary grammar to spice her. When she accepts to go out with you, it is still you that will do all the spending. And that's how it would be as long as she's still with you. So if you can spend for an ordinary GIRLFRIEND, why do you now think it's unnecessary or not dignifying to pay her bride price so that she can PERMANENTLY be your partner? Don't tell me you've never dated before
Re: What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? by thesaint24(m): 5:31pm On Jul 16, 2015
Ishilove:

so u r an ukwuani person? Wow! M an ukwuani guy too.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

EndSARS : Oba Rilwan akinolu Returns To Palace Two Months After Mob Invasion / The ILAJE People Of Ondo State(history, Fact, Culture) / A Photographic Tour Of Southwest Nigerian Peoples

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.