Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,357 members, 7,808,241 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:16 AM

Top Ten Most Popular Nigerian Dance Styles And The Originator. - Entertainment (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Top Ten Most Popular Nigerian Dance Styles And The Originator. (87656 Views)

Fabulous Dance Styles You Cannot Miss To Watch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top Ten Most Popular Nigerian Dance Styles And The Originator. by Nobody: 6:28am On Jul 16, 2015
Iamsynord:
OK sir
www.reverbnation.com/Synord2
thanks.

wow wow wow ..dope jam of life. nice rap flows you've got.

you're good bro.
Re: Top Ten Most Popular Nigerian Dance Styles And The Originator. by Eddy2cute(m): 6:45am On Jul 16, 2015
may01:
Nice list Op. #Shakiti Bobo, #Kukere and #Shoki are my favourites

What of Korede Bello's dance in Godwin cheesy
se that mumu thing wey korede bello dey do 4 godwin video na dance? undecided
Re: Top Ten Most Popular Nigerian Dance Styles And The Originator. by Spybradd: 7:35am On Jul 16, 2015
So the whites danced azonto,suo,etc,and made inventions? Bush.

Only daddy shoki though grin
Re: Top Ten Most Popular Nigerian Dance Styles And The Originator. by fagbohun4j(m): 7:37am On Jul 16, 2015
Iamsynord:
Am also an artist myself by the Name Synord

You can also listen to one of My own songs "
Otubante
" .I promise you won't waste your mb or regret downloading it.

Your critic and View of d Song will be highly
appreciated. Download here

https://my.notjustok.com/track/18462/otubante-synord

You can follow on twitter @Iamsynord IG @Synordoflife

thank you so much for your support

Here are some reviews of the song

Why you con dey advertise yourself? You be garri ni?
Re: Top Ten Most Popular Nigerian Dance Styles And The Originator. by topsco(m): 7:38am On Jul 16, 2015
Azonto popularized by Wizkid...Op you must be thinking too much.
Re: Top Ten Most Popular Nigerian Dance Styles And The Originator. by ebuclassic18(m): 8:04am On Jul 16, 2015
Iamsynord:
To get a hit song is no joke. The chance to get a Hit song is increased if a dance step comes with it.Here are the Top ten most popular and widely accepted dance steps in. Nigeria and their originator ( Artist).

In no particular order

1) Azonto( Wizkid)- Though azonto was created in Ghana .Wizkid popularized it.Then the Dance went viral.The dance also had a kind of beat.which went viral has well. Azonto.Azonto.Some pple had a 2 1 in Azonto dance wen it came out then.Nollywood didnt slack as they released Azonto babes part 1- 4.Many other artistes released azonto themed Songs afterwards.

2) Galala(Daddy Showkey) Many have credited Daddy Showkey as The Galala Creator .Some say its Father U turn .However,one thing we know is that it is synonymous with Reggae Music..

3) SuO ( Danfo drivers/Marvelous Benji) - Remember SU0.Many claim it was Created by Marvelous benji but i remember in Danfo drivers song where They said " I am a Danfo driver , SUO,sebi u be danfo ..

4) Yahooze ( Olu Maintain ) -If i hammer,first thing na..Dat one is left for u to decide but Olu maintain yahooze was a mega hit as it came with the Yahooze dance. Oya karmakazee on d Kentro level .

5) Alanta ( ArtQuake) - Open your eyes as if you wan..ArtQuake came thru with Alanta Dance which became a hit and got many people behaving like possessed.. lol let me stop here

6) Skelewu ( Davido) - Davido Skelewu became a Mega hit .He shot 2 videos for the additive song which also came with a dance. however,Dammy krane laid claim as Many critics claimed it resembled d artist Gbetiti dance.. Skelewu was d known one sha..

7) Kukere ( Iyanya) - After doing RnB and i love you baby ,i like u songs in his first album and he didnt blow.Iyanya had to do something . Kukere clicked the right buttons and launched the Etighi Dance which is a dance from where he hails from..Though another artist released etighi,iyanya kukere is d most recognized.

cool Sekem ( Mc galaxy) -Oya Sekem one hand for your waist ..This was one of d favourite songs of Mama Peace.MC Galaxy assisted by Tspize d producer made d song a hit and the dance went viral.

9) Bobo ( Djenimoney/Olamide) - Talo fa Bobo.Consistent Hit maker Olamide made a Massive hit from The Song Shakititi bobo which came with a nice dance.The dance went viral after .Though an upcoming artiste claimed Olamide stole his own Yobo dance.Bobo is still d most popular and accepted..

10) Shoki ( Lil kesh / Orezi) -Shoki.shoki is one of the most danced dance style in Nigeria. Be like say it goes with every song.The originator is disputed. But The battle is between Lil Kesh and Orezi..

notable mentions

Alingo by Psquare
Makossa by Awilo longomba
Awor By Kcee,Harrysong,iyanya
Gbetiti- Dammy krane
ijo Oloti- Omo Akin
Gangnam style PSY

Which is Your Favourite and the one you are good at

Compiled and written by Iamsynord
Mc galaxy was the originator of kukere and skelewu but gave it to the artists
Re: Top Ten Most Popular Nigerian Dance Styles And The Originator. by girlsCAFE(m): 8:37am On Jul 16, 2015
Iamsynord:
To get a hit song is no joke. The chance to get a Hit song is increased if a dance step comes with it.Here are the Top ten most popular and widely accepted dance steps in. Nigeria and their originator ( Artist).

In no particular order

1) Azonto( Wizkid)- Though azonto was created in Ghana .Wizkid popularized it.Then the Dance went viral.The dance also had a kind of beat.which went viral has well. Azonto.Azonto.Some pple had a 2 1 in Azonto dance wen it came out then.Nollywood didnt slack as they released Azonto babes part 1- 4.Many other artistes released azonto themed Songs afterwards.

2) Galala(Daddy Showkey) Many have credited Daddy Showkey as The Galala Creator .Some say its Father U turn .However,one thing we know is that it is synonymous with Reggae Music..

3) SuO ( Danfo drivers/Marvelous Benji) - Remember SU0.Many claim it was Created by Marvelous benji but i remember in Danfo drivers song where They said " I am a Danfo driver , SUO,sebi u be danfo ..

4) Yahooze ( Olu Maintain ) -If i hammer,first thing na..Dat one is left for u to decide but Olu maintain yahooze was a mega hit as it came with the Yahooze dance. Oya karmakazee on d Kentro level .

5) Alanta ( ArtQuake) - Open your eyes as if you wan..ArtQuake came thru with Alanta Dance which became a hit and got many people behaving like possessed.. lol let me stop here

6) Skelewu ( Davido) - Davido Skelewu became a Mega hit .He shot 2 videos for the additive song which also came with a dance. however,Dammy krane laid claim as Many critics claimed it resembled d artist Gbetiti dance.. Skelewu was d known one sha..

7) Kukere ( Iyanya) - After doing RnB and i love you baby ,i like u songs in his first album and he didnt blow.Iyanya had to do something . Kukere clicked the right buttons and launched the Etighi Dance which is a dance from where he hails from..Though another artist released etighi,iyanya kukere is d most recognized.

cool Sekem ( Mc galaxy) -Oya Sekem one hand for your waist ..This was one of d favourite songs of Mama Peace.MC Galaxy assisted by Tspize d producer made d song a hit and the dance went viral.

9) Bobo ( Djenimoney/Olamide) - Talo fa Bobo.Consistent Hit maker Olamide made a Massive hit from The Song Shakititi bobo which came with a nice dance.The dance went viral after .Though an upcoming artiste claimed Olamide stole his own Yobo dance.Bobo is still d most popular and accepted..

10) Shoki ( Lil kesh / Orezi) -Shoki.shoki is one of the most danced dance style in Nigeria. Be like say it goes with every song.The originator is disputed. But The battle is between Lil Kesh and Orezi..

notable mentions

Alingo by Psquare
Gbetiti- Dammy krane
ijo Oloti- Omo Akin
Gangnam style PSY

you forgot KOKONBILO by Haruna ishola and lagbaja.. Children of 21st century.
Re: Top Ten Most Popular Nigerian Dance Styles And The Originator. by mikeapollo: 8:53am On Jul 16, 2015
chukkystar:
Alingo was not a hit ooo, na only P Square sabi dance dat thing, it was too hard for peeps to learn
Alingo is nothing just a stolen Azonto being given another name
In a desperate bid to make the dance their own idea, they messed it up by making it too rigid. Yet the original Azonto is the most fluid, creative and fun-filled dance you can have.
Re: Top Ten Most Popular Nigerian Dance Styles And The Originator. by mikeapollo: 9:01am On Jul 16, 2015
Iamsynord:

In no particular order

notable mentions

Alingo by Psquare
Gbetiti- Dammy krane
ijo Oloti- Omo Akin
Gangnam style PSY

Azonto had gone viral and already making waves in dance clubs across Europe even before Wizkid sang about it. The Fuse ODG video/song that made it even more popular because the dance was well demonstrated and displayed in the video, unlike that of Wizkid which did not display the real style.

Alingo is nothing but just a stolen Azonto being given another name
In a desperate bid to make the dance their own idea, P-Square messed it up by making it too rigid and stressful. You can see that what they are dancing lacks originality and they were just struggling with the steps. Yet the original Azonto is the most fluid, creative and fun-filled dance you can have.
Re: Top Ten Most Popular Nigerian Dance Styles And The Originator. by tosmartak(m): 9:11am On Jul 16, 2015
may01:
Nice list Op. #Shakiti Bobo, #Kukere and #Shoki are my favourites

What of Korede Bello's dance in Godwin cheesy

grin U bahdt! A nice dance from korede though. My niece usually do say it's a kwashiork dance. For people with kwashiokwor.
Re: Top Ten Most Popular Nigerian Dance Styles And The Originator. by may01(f): 9:42am On Jul 16, 2015
tosmartak:

grin U bahdt! A nice dance from korede though. My niece usually do say it's a kwashiork dance. For people with kwashiokwor.
grin
Re: Top Ten Most Popular Nigerian Dance Styles And The Originator. by Temysteve(m): 10:01am On Jul 16, 2015
blacq2009:

Why did the op add Azonto in the first place knowing it wasn't birthed in naija?
d dance stepping ar diff... to dat of ghana nd 1nc it make wave in industry, i tink he shld include it.
Re: Top Ten Most Popular Nigerian Dance Styles And The Originator. by blacq2009(m): 10:12am On Jul 16, 2015
Temysteve:
d dance stepping ar diff... to dat of ghana nd 1nc it make wave in industry, i tink he shld include it.
But the name is the same na
Re: Top Ten Most Popular Nigerian Dance Styles And The Originator. by Temysteve(m): 10:14am On Jul 16, 2015
blacq2009:

But the name is the same na
but i think u do knw we av diff.. type of shoki?
Re: Top Ten Most Popular Nigerian Dance Styles And The Originator. by blacq2009(m): 10:31am On Jul 16, 2015
Temysteve:
but i think u do knw we av diff.. type of shoki?
By then, Shoki is an undisputed naija dance so whatever type still makes it naija
Re: Top Ten Most Popular Nigerian Dance Styles And The Originator. by mikeapollo: 12:19pm On Jul 16, 2015
iwakolewa:

Sarkodie? You meant 'fuse odg' right?

None of them originated Azonto. Azonto actually originated from one of the ghettos in Accra as a street dance.
Sarkodie and Fuse ODG only used the dance in their songs and videos after it gained prominence in Ghana and everybody latched unto the acceptance and popularity of the dance and its rhythm.

A similar thing has happened in Nigeria.

In fact the coming of Azonto has helped to revive and change the Nigerian music scene for the better. All the guys that were pretending to be playing American R&B and hip-hop music have all abandoned that style and jumped unto the Ghanaian Azonto style and their danceable rap. Today, Nigerians have changed from rapping like Mode9, Ruggedman, Dagrin etc and they are all doing the Ghana style of rap which blends very well with fast tempo danceable beats....like Olamide did with ''first of all, bend down low''.
All the trending hits and beats (the so-called Afro-pop, Afro hip-hop, Afro-beat ) released by Nigerian musicians since 2011/12 have been using the Azonto beats and rhythm from Ghana. Virtually all the Nigeria musicians are now playing the hip-life/Azonto style of the Ghanaians....which is basically high their innovation of fast tempo highlife mixed with hip-hop. That is virtually what every young Nigerian musician is copying nowadays and the list is almost endless....Olamide, Wizkids, Iyanya, May-D, Davido, Timaya, D-Banj, P-Square, Mavis Group,....and so on

2 Likes

Re: Top Ten Most Popular Nigerian Dance Styles And The Originator. by karllemah44(m): 12:22pm On Jul 16, 2015
[b][/b] wot of KOLOMBO dance by our beloved HARRY SONGZ
Re: Top Ten Most Popular Nigerian Dance Styles And The Originator. by zanga420: 1:57pm On Jul 16, 2015
Iamsynord:

hmmn
mmmm
Re: Top Ten Most Popular Nigerian Dance Styles And The Originator. by zanga420: 7:29pm On Jul 23, 2015
cigwegbe:

https://www.nairaland.com/2470705/love-not-sex
eerm, what do u want me to do with this?
Re: Top Ten Most Popular Nigerian Dance Styles And The Originator. by chinaydhu: 8:28pm On Mar 24, 2017
Chibuhealth:
who is this tribal goat? Who you help? You don baf?
we don't have to sound vulga when commenting or replying a comment

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top Ten Most Popular Nigerian Dance Styles And The Originator. by nuraindeen(m): 8:56am On Apr 25, 2017
blacq2009:
Azonto is a ghanaian dance originated by Sarkodie. Stop misleading your readers
U are both wrong.Though,Azonto dance is a traditional dance in Ghana. It was made popularized by Fuze ODG before Sarkodie did his own.
Re: Top Ten Most Popular Nigerian Dance Styles And The Originator. by blacq2009(m): 9:45am On Apr 25, 2017
nuraindeen:

U are both wrong.Though,Azonto dance is a traditional dance in Ghana. It was made popularized by Fuze ODG before Sarkodie did his own.
I agree its a traditional dance but Sarkodie brought it to the limelight with his U Go Kill Me track. You are also wrong

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Most Popular Nigerian Dance Styles And The Originator. by toygod2: 4:35pm On Nov 29, 2017
Alquada dance nko - kcee, Timaya
Agaba - Timaya

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian Women Dancing At A Night Club In Yaba, Lagos In 1967 (Throwback Photo) / Woman Sets Her Private-Parts On Fire At A Dance Competition / Kenya Bans 'Kwara Kwara' Dance For "Increasing Immorality, Teenage Pregnancy"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.