Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,026 members, 7,799,509 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:00 PM

I've Just Been Sacked! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I've Just Been Sacked! (3145 Views)

Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? / Pls Wat Should I Do? I've Been Compelled Into A Serious Oath / I Have Been Sacked But I Have N1.5m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I've Just Been Sacked! by Nobody: 9:26pm On Mar 10, 2009
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by IykeD(m): 11:40pm On Mar 10, 2009
So sorry to read this, i know how you feel right now but trust God,he certainly has a big plan for you.try not to allow the situation weigh you down or make you feel you are not good enough.I am sure you are one of the very few(ladies) in the that didn't do the usual to get fat accounts.God is in control!
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by MrCrackles(m): 11:41pm On Mar 10, 2009
Topic

Oh dear!
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by Nobody: 11:42pm On Mar 10, 2009
what did you do wrong?
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by Finecat(m): 12:17am On Mar 11, 2009
davidylan:

what did you do wrong?

That's not the question. this is what nigerian banks are doing lately. Rainy days has come and their cosmetics is wearing off.
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by DisGuy: 2:08am On Mar 11, 2009
Sorry

Take a break, refresh and update your CV with your new skills
Try micro finance banks, Insurance or other sectors
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by chyk91(m): 3:59am On Mar 11, 2009
Sorry
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by Nobody: 6:54pm On Mar 11, 2009
Thanks everyone. I guess I'll have faith and focus on finding a job in another sector, preferable one that's suited to my skills and nature. I'm not cut throat at all and that's what it takes to be a good Banker, anywhere! One luv smiley
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by RichyBlacK(m): 7:23pm On Mar 11, 2009
ezinne1212:

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll have faith and focus on finding a job in another sector, preferable one that's suited to my skills and nature. I'm not cut throat at all and that's what it takes to be a good Banker, anywhere! One luv smiley

Good luck.

By the way, what was your first degree in?
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by Treetop20(m): 7:24pm On Mar 11, 2009
sorry embarassed
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by Nobody: 7:57pm On Mar 11, 2009
@ op , sorry

the banks are in BIG trouble. the op is but one story.

the meltdown is here. plenty bad loans from those mad day when people took bank loans to buy shares, foreign lines of credit have been withdrawn, foreign investors have scaled down operations

i heard from a dude in the know that mass layoffs are in the works.among other frightening things.  i am seriously contemplating buying a safe and moving my money under my bed for the time being. . .

right now in terms of job hunting banks are a no go area. . .

heard a rumor that they were instructed to recapitalize. . .
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by Nobody: 9:03pm On Mar 11, 2009
@ Richy, I'm a Communications graduate with interests in branding and corporate affairs. When i joined the Bank it was with the hope that I'd be able to get hands on experience when posted to their brand Management unit. Well, i guess it wasn't meant to be cos they ended up posting me to a unit where my focus was liability generation and my target was 5 times that of the average entry level Banker. If you don't have connections or a blank conscience, that money they want won't come your way. Its that simple! However, i did meet a few decent individuals who wanted to help, but the mongers outweighed them all and my time ran out.

Let me say, for some, not all, the right way in Banking will be a slow and painful experience. I personally think the casualties are necessary because Nigerian Banks need to offer people more. And it's not just giving people loans, it's about actually educating people on funds that they have and long term financial issues. Fixed deposits isn't the nitty gritty of banking! I expected more, especially since i was offered a lot more in other countries. I really do hope for the best for me, and for all who make it through in our Banks. The future shouldn't always be gloom! And old habits, should eventually die off for the greater good.
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by matataehi: 2:39am On Mar 12, 2009
Cheer up Dear, God is working some thing for u. be rest assured for dat.
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by Eeyore(m): 9:04am On Mar 12, 2009
@ Ezinne1212
My younger brother is also in your shoes. According to him, it was a mass lay off with their excuse being "poor performance in liability generation". The guy has been distraught but he's slowly getting back on his feet. He has touched up his resume & is on the prowl once again.
You may SMS me on **** and I will call you with some useful tips and words. But whatever you do, stay in the race & don't lose hope.
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by soulamanne(m): 3:51pm On Mar 12, 2009
must u get her nos to give her tips?

@poster
notin do u.better times ahead.at least no sleepless nights over unreasonable targets.u shuld get a good job cos ur discipline is good.ad,brandin and PR are great carreers.u shuld enjoy it.God help us all.goodluck sis
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by osisi2(f): 3:54pm On Mar 12, 2009
ezii girl ndo o
I pray God gives you something better.
Keep hope alive

I pray you also find a handsome,Godly and rich husband smiley
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by sniperwolf(m): 6:41pm On Mar 12, 2009
Sorry oh! What's with banks and their targets
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by Pittbaby(f): 8:23pm On Mar 12, 2009
There are several oppurtunities for people with a marketing background in consumer good , consulting and telecom firms. put the big salary behind you brush up your resume and start looking agressively . losing your job is not the worse that can happen , staying unemployed is. Make sure you are prepared to answer the question as to why you left your last job, Please dont blame yourself in any way , good luck and God bless .
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by tkb417(m): 9:27pm On Mar 12, 2009
start buying and selling
u dont have to work for nobody.

how much were they paying? 500K?
u can get that easily if u do stuffs on ur own abeggi

nothing do you.
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by damola1: 1:53am On Mar 13, 2009
it'S good you were fired.

My company is a small start up retailing company and I think if you are really good at branding, I might want to hear what you have got to say,

I like cheap quality stuff, if it's not original, and cheap, I don't buy, I no get millions, neither do I have 5 zeros to shed out, at least at the moment on BRANDING, , But I think you can do affordable consulting, if you are good enough,

Buzz me; damola@damola.com
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by SweetT1: 8:52am On Mar 13, 2009
soulamanne:

@poster
notin do u.better times ahead.at least no sleepless nights over unreasonable targets.u shuld get a good job cos ur discipline is good.ad,brandin and PR are great carreers.u shuld enjoy it.God help us all.goodluck sis

He wants to get his number because oniranu nii. Ashewo olosi.
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by marami: 1:55pm On Mar 24, 2010
tkb417:

start buying and selling
u dont have to work for nobody.

how much were they paying? 500K?
u can get that easily if u do stuffs on your own abeggi

nothing do you.

start buying and selling what?
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by Nobody: 5:12pm On Mar 24, 2010

Boli and groundnut. grin
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by Sagamite(m): 9:11pm On Mar 24, 2010
Sorry to hear that.

Since you said you were dreading it, I hope you have been saving for the raining days.

What next?

This is the time to explore options and do these two concurrently.

1) On one hand start looking for jobs that match/exploit your experience and skills.

2) Assess yourself carefully, find out what you TRUELY enjoy doing. What is a natural skill that comes easy for you and you have as a hobby that you can make money with. I am not talking about an assessment that is based on environmental constraints e.g. "what will make you money in Nigeria" mentality, when you should be looking at "what you love doing". Since you are going to have a lot of time on your hand, you can as well explore how you can get to do what you want or like doing and build a career out of it so you don't go back to what you don't particularly enjoy.
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by lonelydude: 3:44pm On Mar 29, 2010
oyb:

@ op , sorry

the banks are in BIG trouble. the op is but one story.

the meltdown is here. plenty bad loans from those mad day when people took bank loans to buy shares, foreign lines of credit have been withdrawn, foreign investors have scaled down operations

i heard from a dude in the know that mass layoffs are in the works.among other frightening things. i am seriously contemplating buying a safe and moving my money under my bed for the time being. . .

right now in terms of job hunting banks are a no go area. . .

heard a rumor that they were instructed to recapitalize. . .

What part of Lagos do you reside cool

soulamanne:

@poster
notin do u.better times ahead.at least no sleepless nights over unreasonable targets.u shuld get a good job cos your discipline is good.ad,brandin and PR are great carreers.u shuld enjoy it.God help us all.goodluck sis

you guys should let Eeyore be. He just wants to give her EXTRA TIPS.

@ op

Sorry about that,
In everything give thanks
All things work together for good to them that love God.
Just review your CV and make sure you are ready to tell them reasons why you lost the job.

God is in control. Bless you my sister.
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by Aproko(f): 3:50pm On Mar 29, 2010
@ Poster,

The only reason i'll say sorry is because you are leaving what you know and entering the unknown, and this can be annoying especially when you are not prepared for the transition.

but my advice to you is simple. take some time to rest. rest your brain, rest your feet from the waka about of marketing, and decide what exactly you want to do. by that I mean do you want to look for another job or you want to go into business? if you want to remain in paid employment, then please respond to any vacancy that resembles what you have done and what you studied in school. you must revamp your cv to make it broad based, and your cover letter for each application must be tailored to the job you are applying for. don't look down on any advert either in the papers or website (am speaking from experience, its just that my story is too long, i would have given you my own gist). even if it is a yahoo adress please apply. if they ask for 3 years and you have just one, still apply. and like someone said, erase all that big paper figure banks promise to pay, because another organization may be willing to offer less on paper, but more will be take home.

if you choose to start a business, then you have to think of whether you want to buy and sell goods or you want to provide a service.

most of all, have a clear picture of what you want and focus on it, it will surely happen. and pray to God that it doesnt tarry.

all da best.
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by tkb417(m): 11:51am On Mar 30, 2010
marami:

anything grin grin

i buy and sell stuffs even tho i have a 7-7 job.
so?
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by FunmyKemmy(f): 2:15pm On Mar 30, 2010
@tkb417

What are you selling? grin
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by tkb417(m): 2:48pm On Mar 30, 2010
FunmyKemmy:

@tkb417

What are you selling? grin
LOL

i buy and sell a lot of things
buy and sell stocks grin
import stuffs and sell wholesale atimes

the idea is buy anythin low and sell high grin to make some decent margins
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by FunmyKemmy(f): 3:28pm On Mar 30, 2010
LOL

i buy and sell a lot of things
buy and sell stocks
import stuffs and sell wholesale atimes

[b]the idea is buy anythin low and sell high  t[/b]o make some decent margins

Don't leave me behind ooooooo.  E ja mi si grin  I would like to be buying and selling stuffs too.
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by Nobody: 11:32am On Jun 03, 2012
Try to get a pgd in education. Then you can become a lecturer either in uni, poly or college of education. Lecturing pays.
Re: I've Just Been Sacked! by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jun 03, 2012
lonelydude:

What part of Lagos do you reside cool

you guys should let Eeyore be. He just wants to give her EXTRA TIPS.

@ op

Sorry about that,
In everything give thanks
All things work together for good to them that love God.
Just review your CV and make sure you are ready to tell them reasons why you lost the job.

God is in control. Bless you my sister.
grin grin grin grin
@op. Hope you have finally gotten your hands into something productive.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 / Refutation Of Misleading Information On Nnpc Recruitment Excercise / Advice Me On Certification Course For Offshore Jobs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.