Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,594 members, 7,781,885 topics. Date: Saturday, 30 March 2024 at 02:10 AM

Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers (14491 Views)

Man Who Graduated With First Class From UK University Cries Out For Job. Photos / Job Seekers, Take A cue From Lionel Messi / An Important Lesson All Job Seekers Should Learn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by Kelklein(m): 5:20am On Jul 18, 2015
At the interview to fill the vacancy of a Field Engineer in a multinational oil company, two competent and qualified Engineers were shortlisted and the company was to decide on who to retain and who to show the red card.

They asked them If they could drive and they both answered in the affirmative even though only one of them could drive. The Head of the Human Resources spearheading the interview cum pruning session then handed his car keys to them to prove their driving skills within the premises.

The over-confident applicant collected the car key, opened the car, switched on the ignition, lighted it up, sped off, swirled, swerved and made some stunts on wheels before parking the car on the same spot to the seeming rousing applause and mischievously knowing smile of the interviewers.

The other applicant who could not drive collected the key all the same, opened the car, opened the bonnet, checked the engine oil level, the brake fluid level, the gear oil level and the water in the radiator level. As he closed the bonnet, the chief interviewer walked towards him and said: "Don't bother driving, you've just been hired!"

Precaution is more powerful than expertise!
The race is not for the swiftest, but to the wise!
Don't be brash and over-confident. Learn the ropes and never back off from giving your best even If you don't possess what it takes.

That someone is doing it fast doesn't mean he is doing it right! Direction is more important than speed! Exercise caution and take precaution in the journey of life- that's how to be recruited into the employment of success...

my2kobo

172 Likes 33 Shares

Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by Nobody: 6:30am On Jul 18, 2015
precaution is better than expertise...if this is correct then effectiveness is better than efficiency.According to peter Drucker, effectiveness is doing the right things and efficiency is doing things right. An example. there are three ladders leaning against a wall, the first man was quick to jump on any one and got to the top first, the viewing crowd clapped and applaud him. the second was careful,ensured he read all the instructions and held to the right ladder and climbed. At the end, the second man was chosen over the first,why? because, the first man had expended his energy in doinf the wrong work while the second man even though was slower did the right thing. At the end, always remember there is no reward for wrong work.

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by Polithiefcian(m): 6:56am On Jul 18, 2015
Gbam. Dis is a master piece

4 Likes

Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by obinna2nv(m): 8:05am On Jul 18, 2015
OK. copy that...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by Nobody: 8:13am On Jul 18, 2015
op...I concur!!!pass me the sprite.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by Nobody: 10:09am On Jul 18, 2015
I don't get the message this story is trying to pass. The engineer who couldn't drive lied and you should never encourage lying in an interview.
What happens if the Head of HR or any of his bosses asks him to drive a car for real the next day after his employment. Will his lie not become exposed

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by NewsINigeria(m): 10:21am On Jul 18, 2015
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by Nobody: 10:21am On Jul 18, 2015
oh which kind network be dis
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by ramond007(m): 10:21am On Jul 18, 2015
Same here,job seeking in niaja is quite a task.
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by Armstrong34(m): 10:22am On Jul 18, 2015
nice one..........am impwessed
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by ladet(m): 10:22am On Jul 18, 2015
Hello sir, my name is Lanre Adetoro am 16yrs old, am a web designer ,I own a forum just like this the url is Nicenaija.com i created this forum for Nigerians to discuss...... But the problem is... the situation is not encouraging I put my outmost Best in trying to get the forum running..... but it seems nobody visit the website except me....Sir i need your help to help me promote my forum sir...... thanks in advance......

12 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by omisakint: 10:23am On Jul 18, 2015
Pk
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by kaboninc(m): 10:25am On Jul 18, 2015
adeaks:
I don't get the message this story is trying to pass. The engineer who couldn't drive lied and you should never encourage lying in an interview.
What happens if the Head of HR or any of his bosses asks him to drive a car for real the next day after his employment. Will his lie not become exposed

You're absolutely correct. The OP should edit that aspect of the write-up because the piece made a whole lot of sense.

2 Likes

Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by plainmirror(m): 10:25am On Jul 18, 2015
I usually tell my colleagues who use me as a yardstick to measure themselves; it is not how far but how well.
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by lovemko(m): 10:25am On Jul 18, 2015
just onpoint

in the spirit of the hid celebration and showing brother love, i have decided to share this ebook manual that am sure will impact and help u alot, now and as we prepare for the new football season

download
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mr6c0wprb34jwq/BETTING%20GUIDE%20AND%20AMAZING%20SECRETS%20GUIDE_1.pdf?dl=0

check my NL threads
https://www.nairaland.com/2379440/betting-ideas-amazing-secrets-season

https://www.nairaland.com/2238042/betting-ideas-amazing-secrets-maximize
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by Largeese(m): 10:26am On Jul 18, 2015
Another thread, Another tip for job seekers.....The only thing most graduates come out in flying colors in Nigeria. Let us keep seeking for jobs others are creating. Some people need to relax and think about themselves. How long will the job hunt continue? How long with the 8-5 jobs continue? How long will the living with intolerant bosses continue?

Jobs will always be available and people will always apply, but don't be that lazy applicant who feels his only means of success in life is by getting a job.

Moreover how many job seekers have genuine in-demand skills apart from using Microsoft word, excel and power point? Let's be real and ask ourselves these questions.

Meanwhile for those people who have no jobs, are tired of switching jobs or have no skill at all and want to develop skills that can fetch them money online as well as offline, here is a thread where i have taught for free how you can join fiverr.com and start making money right from your home. There are very easy ways of making it through the internet, you just have to find the safest and surest way.,,and this one beckons The Free Fiverr Training Guide on Nairaland With Screenshots

1 Like

Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by DONMAYOR19(m): 10:26am On Jul 18, 2015
Trash, just get God favour that's all.

2 Likes

Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by babyfaceafrica: 10:26am On Jul 18, 2015
Lying should not be encouraged...that guy was just lucky..all in all wisdom is necessary in this journey..the race is won by he who has tact and intellect!!
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by Salex007(m): 10:27am On Jul 18, 2015
He did not deserve the job... Cus he lied
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by Funkadict(m): 10:28am On Jul 18, 2015
adeaks:

Its an ilustration bro. I don't think the OP is encouraging lying. But the spotlight of the story is on the brags of those who think they know it all...........it won't get you what you want all the time.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by kazmanbanjoko(m): 10:28am On Jul 18, 2015
Na wa ooo. Dont be over confident, dont be low confident. Be middle confident.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by XYZADIGOR7: 10:29am On Jul 18, 2015
Nice one
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by Nobody: 10:29am On Jul 18, 2015
grin grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by XYZADIGOR7: 10:30am On Jul 18, 2015
Final orientation. Nice one
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by Dfavouredone: 10:30am On Jul 18, 2015
Kelklein:
At the interview to fill the vacancy of a Field Engineer in a multinational oil company, two competent and qualified Engineers were shortlisted and the company was to decide on who to retain and who to show the red card.

They asked them If they could drive and they both answered in the affirmative even though only one of them could drive. The Head of the Human Resources spearheading the interview cum pruning session then handed his car keys to them to prove their driving skills within the premises.

The over-confident applicant collected the car key, opened the car, switched on the ignition, lighted it up, sped off, swirled, swerved and made some stunts on wheels before parking the car on the same spot to the seeming rousing applause and mischievously knowing smile of the interviewers.

The other applicant who could not drive collected the key all the same, opened the car, opened the bonnet, checked the engine oil level, the brake fluid level, the gear oil level and the water in the radiator level. As he closed the bonnet, the chief interviewer walked towards him and said: "Don't bother driving, you've just been hired!"

Precaution is more powerful than expertise!
The race is not for the swiftest, but to the wise!
Don't be brash and over-confident. Learn the ropes and never back off from giving your best even If you don't possess what it takes.

That someone is doing it fast doesn't mean he is doing it right! Direction is more important than speed! Exercise caution and take precaution in the journey of life- that's how to be recruited into the employment of success...

my2kobo

Thanks friend for sharing. You just encouraged me.

God bless you.
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by nijanigga: 10:31am On Jul 18, 2015
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by lonelydora: 10:32am On Jul 18, 2015
Nice story for the over confident ones.
Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by tunery004(m): 10:32am On Jul 18, 2015
ladet:
Hello sir, my name is Lanre Adetoro am 16yrs old, am a web designer ,I own a forum just like this the url is Nicenaija.com i created this forum for Nigerians to discuss...... But the problem is... the situation is not encouraging I put my outmost Best in trying to get the forum running..... but it seems nobody visit the website except me....Sir i need your help to help me promote my forum sir...... thanks in advance......

Young man, u are not doing badly, I just visited ur site and I can see you modelled it with the nairaland format. U'v had 168 views today, but there is no catchy topic on your front page. Improve that and remain consistent. You have a signature on NL ur site should be ur signature, and u could spam most thread with ur site. don't be discouraged. Rome was not built in a day. Even Seun went through the same phase u are going through also.

8 Likes

Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by shaunxy(m): 10:32am On Jul 18, 2015
Thanks for this write up..... Very insightful..

1 Like

Re: Don't Be Brash And Over-confident: Lesson For Job Seekers by Segadem(m): 10:33am On Jul 18, 2015
ok

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bas Nig Ltd / Lagos State Job Registration Centres / What Next For The 2021 Nigerian Customs Applicants?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.