Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,031 members, 7,807,061 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:05 AM

Opinion: Stop Using Physical Force On Nigerian Kids - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Opinion: Stop Using Physical Force On Nigerian Kids (3094 Views)

Is It By Force To Take Your Child To Santa? (Photo) / #youknowyourmumisnigerian - Hilarious Topic Trending On Nigerian Twitter / I Told My Hubby To Stop Using My Money.am I Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opinion: Stop Using Physical Force On Nigerian Kids by Nobody: 9:50am On Jul 19, 2015
JoeCutie:
Just try and make your kids your friends, and get them to like and trust you. I bet you, you won't be needing force to correct them. They'll listen to you.

The worst thing that can happen to you as a parent is when your kids fear you. They'd do the things you ask, not because they want to, but because they fear you.

Be friends with your wife/husband and kids, and "happily ever after" awaits you. smiley

easier said than done,

funny, coming from someone who probably have not raised a pet.

fyi- even in schools teachers use cane, not to inflict fear but for disciplinary

you gotta make rules for kids and you gotta let 'em know there 're punishments for breaking those rules.

thats the best way to train kids.

physical force doen't necessarily mean you have to smack them down like in WWE. lolz!!

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Stop Using Physical Force On Nigerian Kids by JoeCutie(m): 2:49pm On Jul 19, 2015
MrPresident:

easier said than done,

funny, coming from someone who probably have not raised a pet.

fyi- even in schools teachers use cane, not to inflict fear but for disciplinary

you gotta make rules for kids and you gotta let 'em know there 're punishments for breaking those rules.

thats the best way to train kids.

physical force doen't necessarily mean you have to smack them down like in WWE. lolz!!

I would have just ignored your mention, but no, let me tell you this: Don't conclude on people you don't know. You don't know me, I don't know you. How do you mean I probably haven't raised a pet before? Listen, you don't raise people the way you raise animals. And, as I speak to you, I have two very gigantic dogs (Gaddafi and Nani) who are five and four years old respectively.

I'm in my twenties, and my father had never raised a hand on me, and I'm not the worst of children.

This whole thing sometimes, is in the mind. Some people (like you) already have this at the back of their mind that "we are Africans" and so, we must use force on our children. You can get the best out of your children without the use of force, you just have to believe it, and get ready from the beginning.

You that's always panel beaten like a Hyundai car involved in a highway accident, and the whites who are brought up without force, look at your both lives; how do you think you're better than them?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion: Stop Using Physical Force On Nigerian Kids by raydatluvs(m): 5:32pm On Jul 19, 2015
GeneralShepherd:

A child once beheaded a teacher in Enugu. A child telling the parent, I hate you is a child being a child.

Nigerian kids still wanna scream I hate you but can't because of fear. Does it mean they didn't feel hatred for their parents?

Verbal expression makes kids less aggressive
u knw the same way u see verbal expression helping kids become less aggressive, i cud also look at a kid not bin able to say terrible tins back as a means of imbibing self control of the tongue and mind buh u chose to see it as fear.

Talk abt verbal expressions making kids less aggressive, we watch wacko American kids dat weren't beaten shooting at a skul etc

My point, raise ur kids as u deem fit.. By the way, i dun believe circumstances determine pple.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Stop Using Physical Force On Nigerian Kids by dBard: 7:16pm On Jul 19, 2015
Funny, I was just having a discussion with a colleague about child discipline roughly30mins ago.

@generalshepherd..
First of all, there's a difference between discipline and abuse (physical or verbal), and that distinction should be made clear.

Looking@ d state of the Western society, would you seriously advocate we follow their footsteps
The culture of permissiveness, d moral decadence, d general abuse of 'freedom', I think I would rather stick with 'the way of my fathers'.
Schools these days have started adopting the'no hands' approach to discipline and suddenly we have started having a situation where that culture of respect is getting lost.
There's even a thread t that effect here in the Family section.

'Spare the rod, spoil the child' is a Biblical directive, it hasn't changed.

Research says this, research says that, Yet New researches keep coming out, some of which negates the old researches.

Like someone said, Africa IS the last moral frontier for human sanity.

'Nuff said
Re: Opinion: Stop Using Physical Force On Nigerian Kids by Chillis: 7:20pm On Jul 19, 2015
See as majority turned out.
Na to cuss cuss dem sabi and to sniff punny!

Block heads !
everything is violence in naija.
Even to buy bread from bakery na so so fight.
Evidence of plenty konk for head.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Opinion: Stop Using Physical Force On Nigerian Kids by dBard: 7:21pm On Jul 19, 2015
JoeCutie:
I would have just ignored your mention, but no, let me tell you this: Don't conclude on people you don't know. You don't know me, I don't know you. How do you mean I probably haven't raised a pet before? Listen, you don't raise people the way you raise animals. And, as I speak to you, I have two very gigantic dogs (Gaddafi and Nani) who are five and four years old respectively.

I'm in my twenties, and my father had never raised a hand on me, and I'm not the worst of children.

This whole thing sometimes, is in the mind. Some people (like you) already have this at the back of their mind that "we are Africans" and so, we must use force on our children. You can get the best out of your children without the use of force, you just have to believe it, and get ready from the beginning.

You that's always panel beaten like a Hyundai car involved in a highway accident, and the whites who are brought up without force, look at your both lives; how do you think you're better than them?

How are they better than us
Are we talking economics here or the general society??

Question for you, Africans keep running abroad'cos of D favourable living conditions, but Why do they (majority) choose to bring up their children in the 'African way' rather than follow the e.g of the society they live in
Re: Opinion: Stop Using Physical Force On Nigerian Kids by GeneralShepherd(m): 8:35pm On Jul 19, 2015
dBard:
Funny, I was just having a discussion with a colleague about child discipline roughly30mins ago.

@generalshepherd..
First of all, there's a difference between discipline and abuse (physical or verbal), and that distinction should be made clear.

Looking@ d state of the Western society, would you seriously advocate we follow their footsteps
The culture of permissiveness, d moral decadence, d general abuse of 'freedom', I think I would rather stick with 'the way of my fathers'.
Schools these days have started adopting the'no hands' approach to discipline and suddenly we have started having a situation where that culture of respect is getting lost.
There's even a thread t that effect here in the Family section.

'Spare the rod, spoil the child' is a Biblical directive, it hasn't changed.

Research says this, research says that, Yet New researches keep coming out, some of which negates the old researches.

Like someone said, Africa IS the last moral frontier for human sanity.

'Nuff said

In as much as I do understand that we are conservative as Africans but to say Africa is the last moral frontier of human sanity is a joke.

Take a look at the level of corruption in almost all African countries and.tell me about morality.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion: Stop Using Physical Force On Nigerian Kids by dBard: 10:32pm On Jul 19, 2015
GeneralShepherd:

In as much as I do understand that we are conservative as Africans but to say Africa is the last moral frontier of human sanity is a joke.

Take a look at the level of corruption in almost all African countries and.tell me about morality.

Unrelated...
Corruption has to do with lack of proper institutions n Not proper training.

Morally, Africa is light years ahead of the West. I don't even need to give examples... put on d t.v, pick up d papers, open blog sites and Ur practically slapped in the face with it.

Stop getting it twisted.
Re: Opinion: Stop Using Physical Force On Nigerian Kids by GeneralShepherd(m): 4:44am On Jul 20, 2015
dBard:

Unrelated...
Corruption has to do with lack of proper institutions n Not proper training.

Morally, Africa is light years ahead of the West. I don't even need to give examples... put on d t.v, pick up d papers, open blog sites and Ur practically slapped in the face with it.

Stop getting it twisted.

You have still not said how Africa is more.moral than the.West. With all the killings, or the raping of young girls? Who defines this morality you speak of?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion: Stop Using Physical Force On Nigerian Kids by dBard: 7:10am On Jul 20, 2015
http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/
http://www.wonderslist.com/

Not particularly good @d link thingy, but these are links to statistics based on researches done.

You can also look up morality and fashion, divorce rates, sexual perversions, average age of first sexual contact (about 12-14 in d U.S shocked shocked) etc and compare Africa vs d West.

GeneralShepherd:

You have still not said how Africa is more.moral than the.West. With all the killings, or the raping of young girls? Who defines this morality you speak of?

Re: Opinion: Stop Using Physical Force On Nigerian Kids by Wendy80(f): 10:35am On Jul 20, 2015
There's no general rule on raising a child. What works for one might not work for another.
Re: Opinion: Stop Using Physical Force On Nigerian Kids by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jul 20, 2015
Prov 13:24 "Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them".
Prov 22:15 "Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far away".
A very thick line should be drawn between discipline and abuse

(1) (2) (Reply)

es / I Need A Flask Cooler That Can Hold Food For At Least 24 Hours / Pursue My Career Or JAPA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.