Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,904 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:48 AM

Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award (16787 Views)

Attahiru Jega Disappointed Me, Says Jonathan / Lai Mohammed, Abba Kyari, El-Rufai & Attahiru Jega Meet At Kaduna Airport (PICS) / Attahiru Jega- Man Of The Year Way Back In 1993. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award by EdCure: 3:57pm On Jul 18, 2015
The immediate past Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, Attahiru Jega, has been nominated winner of this year’s edition of the Charles T. Mannat Democracy award.

The International Foundation for Electoral Systems, IFES, based in the United States, administrators of the award, will present the award to Mr. Jega and other awardees at an elaborate ceremony in Washington D.C. on September 29.

Every year, IFES, a leading pro-democracy organisation that advocates improved electoral systems around the world, recognizes accomplishments of individuals in advancing freedom and democracy.

The organisation does this by bestowing awards on these outstanding individuals in honour of past chairs of its Board of Directors: Charles T. Manatt and Patricia Hutar, and Senior Adviser, Joe C. Baxter.

Mr. Jega would be honoured under the Charles T. Manatt Democracy Award category.
Three individuals are honoured each year in that category: one U.S. Democrat, one Republican and a member of the international community who demonstrate unwavering commitment to democracy and human rights.

Mr. Jega is the international figure chosen for the award this year, and he is being honoured for leading INEC to conduct one of the most credible elections in Nigeria’s history, even in the face of intimidation and sabotage by some of his own staff and officials of the past administration.
Democratic Leader, Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Congressman Ed Royce (R-Calif.) are to be honoured alongside Mr. Jega.

They will receive the awards at a special ceremony, co-chaired by IFES Board Director and Baker & Hostetler LLP Partner, Ambassador Tom McDonald and Manatt, Phelps & Phillips LLP Partner June L. DeHart on September 29, in Washington D.C.

“Chairman Jega’s leadership was instrumental to Nigeria’s successful general elections in 2015,” said IFES President and CEO, Bill Sweeney.
“He deserves full credit for his efforts to increase the credibility and transparency of the electoral process under extreme logistical challenges, such as terrorist threats from Boko Haram, where failure could prove the catalyst for predicted election violence.”.

Mr. Jega’s expert management of the 2015 general elections positioned him as a credible election administrator, IFES said.
“The complex Nigerian electoral environment consisted of 69 million eligible voters, 155,000 polling booths and 700,000 temporary staff deployed across the country. These recent elections resulted in the country’s first democratic transfer of power.”

“I am deeply honoured to accept the 2015 Democracy Award from IFES,” Mr. Jega said in response to his nomination for the award.
“INEC’s long-standing partnership with IFES in preparation for the 2015 general elections resulted in a credible process accepted by Nigerian citizens and the international community. These elections have put Nigeria on the right path toward democratic stability.”

Mr. Jega, who left office as INEC Chairman on June 30, has returned to his lecturing job at the Bayero University Kano, where he was also a Vice Chancellor before he was appointed INEC boss in June 2010 by former President Goodluck Jonathan.
Until his appointment as vice chancellor, he lectured in the department of political science.

He once served as national president of the Academic Staff Union of Universities [ASUU].
Mr. Jega remains the only chairman of the electoral body to organise two national elections – 2011 and 2015 elections.
Sometime in March, Mr. Jega indicated he would not accept tenure renewal.
“I am grateful to God,” he said at the time. “I was asked to come and contribute my own quota to the national development and I have done my bit to the best of my ability.”

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/186879-former-inec-boss-attahiru-jega-wins-top-international-award.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award by jstbeinhonest(m): 4:00pm On Jul 18, 2015
Any time i hear jega,orubebe always cums 2 my mind.

73 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jul 18, 2015
the only cure to the viral disease called "orubebetitis".
Baba you deserve more...

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award by kamair237(m): 4:01pm On Jul 18, 2015
He deserves it and even more....

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award by luvmijeje(f): 4:05pm On Jul 18, 2015
Congratulation to the Prof...... A man of steel. Unshakeable and unwavering in his belief.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award by Giddyprance(m): 4:08pm On Jul 18, 2015
He that tames the Orubebes of this life definitely deserves awards if this calibre

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award by sam4(m): 4:09pm On Jul 18, 2015
Eni iyi ni baba na

12 Likes

Re: Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award by EdCure: 4:09pm On Jul 18, 2015
Where is Goodluck Jonathan's international award? TANoids need a long treck to New York, Zurich and Oslo in protest for their hero cheesy

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award by EdCure: 4:10pm On Jul 18, 2015
Cc lalasticlala

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award by fkpboss: 4:12pm On Jul 18, 2015
He deserves it...but I don't just fancy his ironed-face successor(Buhari's daughter )
Re: Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award by EdCure: 4:17pm On Jul 18, 2015
fkpboss:
He deserves it...but I don't just fancy his ironed-face successor(Buhari's daughter )
She will (most likely) not be made the substantive chairman.
Let the best and most credible have the job.

6 Likes

Re: Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award by saxwizard(m): 4:28pm On Jul 18, 2015
jstbeinhonest:
Any time i hear jega,orubebe always cums 2 my mind.

u never forget ?
Re: Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award by Andyblaze: 4:39pm On Jul 18, 2015
What a comcombility

♦•♦#BITG♦•♦
Re: Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award by Elbubs(f): 4:42pm On Jul 18, 2015
Congrats my Prof.

2 Likes

Re: Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award by jstbeinhonest(m): 4:46pm On Jul 18, 2015
saxwizard:

u never forget ?
My mind no gre forget ni o.

2 Likes

Re: Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award by CR77(f): 5:09pm On Jul 18, 2015
Prof Jega the man of the year

11 Likes

Re: Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award by 360ng: 5:09pm On Jul 18, 2015
Cngrts
Re: Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award by sommyblaze(m): 5:09pm On Jul 18, 2015
Re: Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jul 18, 2015
help me congratulate him

6 Likes

Re: Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jul 18, 2015
congratulations sire. grease to your elbows!

1 Like

Re: Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award by kennydee05(m): 5:11pm On Jul 18, 2015
1 Million Orubebe cannot stop you...
Now this is award not that Aba made award being giving to Mimiko and Ekweremadu

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award by Lachimex(m): 5:11pm On Jul 18, 2015
*Congrat Prof!
Re: Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award by CR77(f): 5:12pm On Jul 18, 2015
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
kennydee05:
1 Million Orubebe cannot stop you

3 Likes

Re: Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award by Willswise(m): 5:12pm On Jul 18, 2015
GEJ award is knocking on the door #koko

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award by vantage7: 5:12pm On Jul 18, 2015
Congrats
Re: Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award by blackpanda: 5:13pm On Jul 18, 2015
Its been one blow after another for TANoids and saTANists! Shame to bad people!!

Sir, you more than deserve this award!

13 Likes

Re: Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award by ultrazone2(m): 5:16pm On Jul 18, 2015
jahaja

1 Like

Re: Attahiru Jega Wins IFES Award by emamos: 5:16pm On Jul 18, 2015
Slayer of the man below.

17 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Reno Omokri Blocked By Oby Ezekwesili On Twitter, He Says It Is An Honor / PDP Reacts As NBC Suspends AIT, Ray Power / EndSARS Memorial: Tear Gas Fired At Hoodlums, Not Protesters, Says Lagos CP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.