Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,987 members, 7,806,872 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:45 AM

Diary Of A Pretend HR - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Diary Of A Pretend HR (31137 Views)

Best HR Joke In The World!!! / Access Bank: HR Interview 2016 / What Secrets An HR Won’t Tell You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by yomalex(m): 7:37pm On Jul 22, 2015
Ehn
Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by justi4jesu(f): 7:39pm On Jul 22, 2015
PubLlcEnemy:

People made mistakes out of desperation,instead of advicing them on how to go about things in future you are here insulting your head....Thank God you too are jobless.

Big Fool.
Ugly thing.
Look @ ur face like my anuz
With your head like wolnut.

Are you for real...This is a nice write up and you are here calling the Op names.. undecided undecided

4 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jul 22, 2015
Na only for Naija person wey him sandals chop finish when he dey find work go rise get work come forget how e take be back then undecided
You see them scrutinizing and questioning applicants hoping they fail. Most of my colleagues do it in interviews, I can only but SMH embarassed

There's judgement day for all of us.

When CVs come in, I invite those within Lagos to PROVE themselves without judging them in their absence, I was once there, so all these pros and cons eeeeeeeeeeeenh.....ogaju

12 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by dokunbam(m): 7:39pm On Jul 22, 2015
Thank God this is coming now

On that note we will soon be recruiting(this month end or first week of next month), guest writers, volunteers and others.

You can choose your are of speciality. Your write up will determine your position. If you are really good at it.

So get ready to gain some experience

If you are interested drop cv @ getguideinfo@gmail.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jul 22, 2015
Again, I’m not a HR, but I have acted it, and it’s really frustrating to receive CVs. You’re 31 years of age, meaning you must have finished your Secondary School education many years ago. There’s no argument about that because you graduated from the University in 2009. Secondary School will definitely be a long time ago. Now, why bring it into your CV that you were a time keeper during your Secondary School days? Who cares about that? Does it relate to the job you’re applying for? Even if it does, no one will take a look at that.

When I was in secondary school,I once heard the then principal say that years ago, when he was job hunting, he put in his CV that he was the headboy of his school.

It was useful in getting him the job.(Much to his surprise).

Well....that was decades ago....

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by Lasgidy1(m): 7:40pm On Jul 22, 2015
Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by PubLlcEnemy(m): 7:45pm On Jul 22, 2015
justi4jesu:

Are you for real...This is a nice write up and you are here calling the Op names.. undecided undecided

Yes, nice write up. But she didn't have to insult the applicants.

3 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by Polithiefcian(m): 7:46pm On Jul 22, 2015
alaricsaltzman:
The secondary school timekeeper @ 31 years of age really got me lmao grin

This are the kind of things that are suppose to be on frontpage. Not irrelevant boring useless romance stories

Like tonto dicke
Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by spoilerx: 7:49pm On Jul 22, 2015
Krysstie:
One of the most common Nigerian trend is for unemployed graduates to lament about sending out their CVs over a hundred times a month without getting a single feedback. They even curse the government for not giving them jobs.

What if I say most Nigerian graduates are unemployable? It’s high time you all stop disturbing the mailboxes of recruitment agencies and companies who have better things to do than reading your CVs.

I’m not a Human Resource manager, HR or whatever term they give to those people. I don’t run a recruitment agency. I’m just an observer in one corner of Lagos, almost as good as unemployed. Sometime last week I was opportune to help place a job ad and receive the CVs that come in. Receiving CVs is one of the most difficult part of being a HR. First, the job listing sites do not help matters. You place a job ad in one site because you don’t want your mailbox to overflow with CVs, then other job sites you never knew existed take it upon themselves to publish.

I was set for the excitement and fun that came with receiving CVs for the first time, so I let the job listing sites do what they please, without inkling that it would be a frustrating experience.

As the CVs began to troop in, all I expected was to get applicants who had the relevant job experience stated in the ad, but the reverse was the case. Why would you apply for a job you clearly know you’re not qualified?

The job experience contained in your CV is ‘bar attendant’, ‘sales officer’ and ‘lab attendant’, then you go ahead to apply for the role of web content developer. How does that work? Even if you’re graduate of Mass Communication, I’ll send your CV to trash. Sorry.

Several times I’ve called on people who are unemployed, to take up jobs as guest writers, volunteers and others, where they would be paid little or nothing, but they gain experience which they would include in their CVs. This suggestion of mine has always been turned down. Everyone wants money, not experience. This is why they keep carrying empty CVs, applying for jobs that require experience and having their CVs sent to trash almost all the time.

The most annoying part of my experience was when I felt really insulted. How on earth will you send your CV to multiple companies at the same time? First, you’re not qualified, then I see you sent your CV to my company, Dangote, FCMB and Chrisland schools’ recruitment email. This is just wrong. You don’t even stop there, you go ahead to send it with a funny subject like – ‘Here! My CV, for employment’.

Another version of this was the one who forwarded the application email he had just sent to another company. It doesn’t end there, the CV wasn’t in Microsoft word format, not in PDF, but pasted in the body of the email. Yes. That’s how bad it was.

You see, when the HR manager or whoever is receiving CVs get 20+ mails from unqualified individuals, the next question that comes to mind is, “Can I just get a few qualified applicants”? The moment about 5 qualified CVs arrive, that’s almost always the end of the show. If the HR is not as impatient as I am, he or she might decide to go through the frustrating experience of opening another 20+ unqualified CVs in a bid to wait for 5 more qualified applicants.

This is what happens when you’re qualified but never get called. There are tons of people applying, 80 percent of the CVs are empty and unqualified. Once the HR gets 5 percent of qualified applicants that he needs, the door closes and the remaining CVs might never get opened because it’s frustrating to open yet another scary document.

Again, I’m not a HR, but I have acted it, and it’s really frustrating to receive CVs. You’re 31 years of age, meaning you must have finished your Secondary School education many years ago. There’s no argument about that because you graduated from the University in 2009. Secondary School will definitely be a long time ago. Now, why bring it into your CV that you were a time keeper during your Secondary School days? Who cares about that? Does it relate to the job you’re applying for? Even if it does, no one will take a look at that.

Qualification and experience is stated in job ads, pay attention. Applying for jobs doesn’t mean sending your CV to whatever recruitment email you come across. It’s a serious business!
If your job application is not a serious business for you, it is for the HR. Don’t go about getting phone numbers from the websites of companies who place job ads. This might sound strange, but it’s real. You come across a job ad you’re qualified for, and instead of sending your CV to the email provided, you go ahead to the company’s website, pick a phone number that was provided for inquiry purpose and then call to give unwanted ‘gists’ about how qualified you are for the role. No one is interested. Save your airtime and send your CV!

The job recruitment and application process is just crazy! From just one job ad, over a 100 CVs are received. How about a solution? There should probably be a way to close the mailboxes after a maximum number of CVs has been received. It’s really frustrating for the HR, and also frustrating for you to keep applying for jobs month after month without feedback. Save your CV from a life in the trash folder. Get experience! Read the job ad over and over again to know if your qualification and experience fit! Make things easy for yourself and whoever is receiving the CVs.

You’re probably asking how on earth you’ll get experience if you don’t get employed? There are tons of jobs that do not require experience, take advantage of them and respect the wish of those who seek experienced applicants. I had fun receiving CVs as a pretend HR, but at this point, it’s no longer fun. The mailbox is weeping, and as frustrated as I am. Tell those still applying that it’s all over. Let them know they’ll never get a feedback. In fact, inform them that successful applicants have not only been selected, they’ve also resumed work.

All the best in your job search!

http://houseofmo.com/diary-of-a-pretend-hr/

I would expect this from a lazy HR personnel.

there are a lot of factors involved.

And some firms put up all sorts of experience sometimes to reduce the number of applicants(used to work for an IT firm & we did this a lot .... we would need an extra hand with basic IT knowledge at work to handle documentation & menial stuff but we would ask for certifications like CCNA , CCNP when recruiting)

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by Daresh(f): 7:51pm On Jul 22, 2015
obajoey:
nice write-up.
but one thing i got to know is that most HR lacks foresight expecially when it comes to interviewing candidate, they tend not to see beyond the way a prospective employee answers their questions, they fail to see the potentials in prospective employees.

just my opinion

As an employer myself I take it upon myself to answer your question. If you cannot impress me with your answers, how do you intend to impress my clients to trust you with millions? Presentation and composure is key to getting a job.

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by here: 7:58pm On Jul 22, 2015
No sector of the economy grows faster than the other,one must rely on the other.
I asked in this forum the last time and no one answered what is the difference between resume and cv?
From your post you have no business being in HR.just because you helped post and advert and sort CVS you believe you know about recruitment?
What application did you use? Every developed system emplyes applications rather than excel and cheap labour used here and have you noticed placement of add and sorting of CVS is left for interns and associates? Do you know the difference between recruitment officer,compensation and benefits and career development /performance officer in HR?
You cannot define who applies and in a sane society every application deserve a reply whether rejection or acceptance and when rejected the reason.Do you know in Australia even in interview an applicant can reques to see the paper you scribbled anything during the interview and you must show him.
All jobs on monster are also on employer site and union site and other sites and even lower qualified are replied that they will be added to database for future reference. You just paint our backward HR like its ok on how low they are and their process is.Wakeup dear! I really wish can see who gave you that job.How can you give sorting of professionals to such person?Yes I just contacted an HR of a company in Canada for a friend who is a student there and she requested the resume and even informed me when in the year they take student interns and will forward the resume to her executive when its time.Imagine that? I can tell this your opinion is confirmed by the HR you worked with,its sad

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jul 22, 2015
here:
No sector of the economy grows faster than the other,one must rely on the other.
I asked in this forum the last time and no one answered what is the difference between resume and cv?
From your post you have no business being in HR.just because you helped post and advert and sort CVS you believe you know about recruitment?
What application did you use? Every developed system emplyes applications rather than excel and cheap labour used here and have you noticed placement of add and sorting of CVS is left for interns and associates? Do you know the difference between recruitment officer,compensation and benefits and career development /performance officer in HR?
You cannot define who applies and in a sane society every application deserve a reply whether rejection or acceptance and when rejected the reason.Do you know in Australia even in interview an applicant can reques to see the paper you scribbled anything during the interview and you must show him.
All jobs on monster are also on employer site and union site and other sites and even lower qualified are replied that they will be added to database for future reference. You just paint our backward HR like its ok on how low they are and their process is.Wakeup dear! I really wish can see who gave you that job.How can you give sorting of professionals to such person?
bro, Its like givin minister of finance to an akara seller.

3 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by VULCAN(m): 8:05pm On Jul 22, 2015
@damalex

U have just proven that you are unemployable.

Someone made an fantastic write up based on things they noticed happening in an HR dept that keep peeps from getting jobs and you that is looking for job are proud to tell us that you never bothered to read it.

I pray that you keep trekking until you buy brain.

Damalex4luv:
Never bothered to read all that. But am also a graduate of OAU and have been roaming the street of lagos for up to 8 months now without a job. Abeg if anybody fit get me a job i'll be glad ooo. Is not easy surviving without a job, life is just getting more and more frustrating on a daily basis. Abeg pm me oooo if you have anywhere you can hook me

7 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by Kemmiiee: 8:17pm On Jul 22, 2015
I quite agree with the poster. While you're waiting to get a job, try to volunteer at a good firm, just for the experience even if they won't pay you (that's if you can o) and when it's time for recruitment, you'll have an edge. And students can also volunteer during long breaks so they can get experience and network before graduation.
Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by Damalex4luv(m): 8:17pm On Jul 22, 2015
VULCAN:
@damalex

U have just proven that you are unemployable.

Someone made an fantastic write up based on things they noticed happening in an HR dept that keep peeps from getting jobs and you that is looking for job are proud to tell us that you never bothered to read it.

I pray that you keep trekking until you buy brain.

Olodo made "an fantastic", also you said "what they noticed happening in an HR"
And you claimed to have read the post. I pray all the curses stated in your post are all urs. You must be very stupid for even qouting me. Try go back to school because we're not mates idiot

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by Kemmiiee: 8:19pm On Jul 22, 2015
I quite agree with the poster. Well, according to what I've heard from different CEOs, while you're waiting to get a job, try to volunteer at a good firm, just for the experience even if they won't pay you (that's if you can o); also when it's time for recruitment, you'll have an edge. And try to. Brush up on yourself, attitude, get professional certifications. Students can also volunteer during long breaks so they can get experience and network before graduation.
Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by tgmservice: 8:22pm On Jul 22, 2015
Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by bodeoni: 8:30pm On Jul 22, 2015
obajoey:
nice write-up.
but one thing i got to know is that most HR lacks foresight expecially when it comes to interviewing candidate, they tend not to see beyond the way a prospective employee answers their questions, they fail to see the potentials in prospective employees.

just my opinion

Very good one but the truth is they cannot afford to 'see potentials'. Its a result oriented game, it's a function of who can make stuff happen, not who has the potential to make stuff happen.

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by castro316: 8:35pm On Jul 22, 2015
PubLlcEnemy:

People made mistakes out of desperation,instead of advicing them on how to go about things in future you are here insulting your head....Thank God you too are jobless.

Big Fool.
Ugly thing.
Look @ ur face like my anuz
With your head like wolnut.

My bro I think u r the big FOOL here. Ppl that don't like to hear good advice you don't want to listen then why insult someone trying to point out reasons why a lot of u don't get jobs. Simple mistakes ppl make are stated here so that u can take correction to settle ur shortcomings and all u can do is yap like a dog? Shame on u and hope u yap at ur interviewer like that too. Oloshi

3 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by ephi123(f): 8:40pm On Jul 22, 2015
Krysstie:
One of the most common Nigerian trend is for unemployed graduates to lament about sending out their CVs over a hundred times a month without getting a single feedback. They even curse the government for not giving them jobs.

You see, when the HR manager or whoever is receiving CVs get 20+ mails from unqualified individuals, the next question that comes to mind is, “Can I just get a few qualified applicants”? The moment about 5 qualified CVs arrive, that’s almost always the end of the show. If the HR is not as impatient as I am, he or she might decide to go through the frustrating experience of opening another 20+ unqualified CVs in a bid to wait for 5 more qualified applicants.

The job recruitment and application process is just crazy! From just one job ad, over a 100 CVs are received. How about a solution? There should probably be a way to close the mailboxes after a maximum number of CVs has been received. It’s really frustrating for the HR, and also frustrating for you to keep applying for jobs month after month without feedback. Save your CV from a life in the trash folder. Get experience! Read the job ad over and over again to know if your qualification and experience fit! Make things easy for yourself and whoever is receiving the CVs.

All the best in your job search!

http://houseofmo.com/diary-of-a-pretend-hr/

I understand it's frustrating but totally disagree with closing the mailbox after a set number of CVs are received - as long as the deadline hasn't passed.
Solution - would be to make use of a portal / online form which applicants would fill online and their details will go to a back end database; from there you can filter based on multiple factors age, degree, or whatever criteria it is and shorten it down - rather than poring through a hard copy CV.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by ephi123(f): 8:43pm On Jul 22, 2015
bushdoc9919:

When I was in secondary school,I once heard the then principal say that years ago, when he was job hunting, he put in his CV that he was the headboy of his school.

It was useful in getting him the job.(Much to his surprise).

Well....that was decades ago....

Head boy is different from timekeeper though - more responsibilities & leadership skills.
Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by Ghost01(m): 8:45pm On Jul 22, 2015
Na everybody come dey form HR personnel nowadays. The kind thunder wey go fire some people ehn still dey follow Buratai do press up.

To be fair to the OP though, he made some nice points. Though his rants almost rendered the whole write-up nonsensical.

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by castro316: 8:47pm On Jul 22, 2015
bodeoni:

Very good one but the truth is they cannot afford to 'see potentials'. Its a result oriented game, it's a function of who can make stuff happen, not who has the potential to make stuff happen.
My bro seriously the problem with Nigerian youth these days is that they are not willing to work. They want to make it big overnight and this incites disdain in their choice of jobs. Many want to work in firms where they are underemployed for and expect to be taken in because their mates are working in big firms so as to belong, but the thing is they themselves are not fit for those positions.

Rather than acquire experience from low paying jobs and study more for wisdom (motivational books and all that) they spend their days doing nothing and feel miracles will come from nowhere. I see them everywhere especially where I am serving and it worries me. Many of them can't write a simple letter and they want to work in oil company. Hian!
Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by castro316: 8:50pm On Jul 22, 2015
bodeoni:

My bro seriously the problem with Nigerian youth these days is that they are not willing to work. They want to make it big overnight and this incites disdain in their choice of jobs. Many want to work in firms where they are underemployed for and expect to be taken in because their mates are working in big firms so as to belong, but the thing is they themselves are not fit for those positions.

Rather than acquire experience from low paying jobs and study more for wisdom (motivational books and all that) they spend their days doing nothing and feel miracles will come from nowhere. I see them everywhere especially where I am serving and it worries me. Many of them can't write a simple letter and they want to work in oil company. Hian!
Re: Diary Of A Pretend HR by kennytidistar(m): 8:51pm On Jul 22, 2015
I don't believe in this unemployable slogan, Nigerians are unemployable and foreign countries like dubai, south Africa Australia even US search for Nigerian graduate, let face our reality, there is no Job period, in dubai you work in for interview because vacancy surpasses working class, here in Nigeria *clear throat* 2 position, 20,000 application, I beg no job for naija, even the government know this, that is Why It's better to encourage entrepreneurship than receiving application to give jobs that never exist, even some company want you to work for free when you have family at home, work experience indeed.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

4 Secret Ways To Survive In Lagos With A Small Salary / Maltreatment Of MTN Call Center Agents At Mayfair Gardens / My Former HR Is Disturbing Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.