Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,107 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:20 AM

5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time (26934 Views)

Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business / @mufclatestnews Removes Editor Who Said Nigerians Are A Waste Of Oxygen & Flesh / You Nigerians Are A Waste Of Oxygen And Flesh - @mufclatestnews Blasts Guy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by tgmservice: 10:17pm On Jul 18, 2015
When I mean online search I don't mean applying directly thru the company websites I mean using online portals like naji, ng careers, 24careers, jobrapido and the rest. These are the mistake some of our youths make they solely depend on this portals for employment. Now am going to give u 5 good reasons why dat strategy is just a time waster.

1) The odds are against you
. When you apply for a job position no matter how specific it is, with d rate of unemployment in d country many other people apply also. For that position u fill is kind of hidden many other people not less than 1000 has also applied u can put ur chances of getting that job at 0.25% will u what to bet on that kind of odd. Even the job sites are fighting for odds against each other gone are d days where we had very few reliable sites lik jobberman, but nw they are everyway copying each other job posts. Relying on a portal for job is like relying on a blog for accurate news.

2)Some jobs posts are outdated
Most job sites don't pull down a job post immediately even when the job has been taken There is also a gud chance that job post u are aplying for might be outdated some portals fail to update their job post or intentionally leave them to drive more traffic to their sites even after the position might have been taken.

3) Most of the companies are fake
We hav all experienced this first hand ( d scam mails ) no need to talk more on this.

4) Some of the companies are not really recruiting
Some of the companies on job portals just fill job post just to follow NLC regulations of providing employment or advertising their business the truth is ( some ) are not really recruiting, these are unknown companies asking 4 ridiculous requirement. I will giv u an experience here I found a job post on a job portal of a company in ikeja looking for a network administrator I they put their address so I decided 2 go there mysef. On my investigation i discovered its just a small business that sells computers, when I asked them of the job they posted they said "which job" but later they admitted dey cud get me a job if I buy a computer from dem, they where just 2 small boys.

5) lastly it has never been about you
This is the most important reason, when u sign up to these portals u fill a lots of forms and along the line they encourage u why u should keep applying 4 jobs wit them with well crafted mails. But d truth is that In d job portal business there are 3 parties involved the job portal, the company posting job offer and u the applicant. In this chain u the applicant(middleman) gain the least if at all. The job portal gain from advertisement from the job posters or third party ads all they need u to do is just to keep cooming to their site if u get a job u are lucky if not they don't care.

Also the job advertisers gain in sense that they are advertising their business to lots of potential clients but u d applicant stand to gain the list consider urself lucky if u get a job.
Now

with this few reasons I hope I have convinced u why dropping ur cv to job portals an just hoping might just be a waste of time. I feel u stand a beta chance when u use ur networking power or a skilled u have acquired to do something or get a job 4 urself. Cheers.

73 Likes 9 Shares

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Abdulmajee(m): 10:24pm On Jul 18, 2015
OP nice one.... you just nailed it..

8 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by excelfele(m): 10:29pm On Jul 18, 2015
it depends sha... though I got my present job 2ru 1 of d job sites above

33 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by mjames: 10:31pm On Jul 18, 2015
I repeat a waste of time

3 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by jeffoe(m): 10:45pm On Jul 18, 2015
there should be a better regulation for this online job site

3 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 1:37am On Jul 19, 2015
Your thread might make it to the front page if you work on the post's indentation and proper paragraphing of your points. smiley

6 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by debris: 2:24am On Jul 19, 2015
Me I have bought a dozen of brown envelope i put my CV and application letter I use leg distributing them everyday.

11 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 2:27am On Jul 19, 2015
FriedPlantain:
Your thread might make it to the front page if you work on the post's indentation and proper paragraphing of your points. smiley

Boss...
Being looking for you...
Howdy?
and it later ended in FP....you be prophet....
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by smallpeepee: 2:43am On Jul 19, 2015
FriedPlantain:
Also looking 4u. Alert me wen dis thread makes it 2 center page. zzzzzzzz

***modified***
Now dat we r here. One pretty babe should pm me, just one ooo! Not asking 4 two, just one.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 2:59am On Jul 19, 2015
smallpeepee:

Also looking 4u. Alert me wen dis thread makes it 2 center page. zzzzzzzz

Smallpeepee too...
Where you guys run to since nah...
Nawa Ooº°˚˚°o ...you just abandon our niche...
Missed you Bosses...
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by smallpeepee: 3:05am On Jul 19, 2015
adeoti01:

Smallpeepee too... Where you guys run to since nah... Nawa Ooº°˚˚°o ...you just abandon our niche... Missed you Bosses...
Lol we dey sabbatical, didn't abandon u guys. Missed u too
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 3:11am On Jul 19, 2015
smallpeepee:

Lol we dey sabbatical, didn't abandon u guys. Missed u too
Abegggg come resume asap... D house bn dry....
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by smallpeepee: 3:28am On Jul 19, 2015
adeoti01:

Abegggg come resume asap... D house bn dry....
Ok Sir!
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by OmniSparrow: 3:47am On Jul 19, 2015
There's a satisfying feeling when you book space on a thread and it later hits fp.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by donwise1(m): 6:37am On Jul 19, 2015
cheesy
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Karleb(m): 6:57am On Jul 19, 2015
They are nothing but scam, and they'll spam you self. You want a job? Go to the company's portal or apply offline .

3 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by uchebest2006(m): 7:17am On Jul 19, 2015
SO WHAT DO YOU WANT UNEMPLOYED YOUTHS TO DO...PROVIDE A REASONABLE SOLUTION.

6 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by babajeje123(m): 7:25am On Jul 19, 2015
so, what are your suggestions for getting jobs

5 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by obinna2nv(m): 8:24am On Jul 19, 2015
We are doomed!!!

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by johncreek: 8:52am On Jul 19, 2015
The OP have made a point..
Regardless of these points, some job seekers still got job from these job sites.
We should not dash the hope of these job seekers rather whatever the odd is let them keep applying, God does his things in a miraculous way.

9 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by abubaka101: 9:27am On Jul 19, 2015
Gud points, but u forgot one very salient point: Vacancies in most Nigerian companies are filled up quickly most times by ppl recommended by d company staff.
In oda words, "long leg" affects d validity of d alleged job vacancy.
But God will make away...

5 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 11:35am On Jul 19, 2015
uchebest2006:
Go to portals like Nairaland get the job specs and apply directly to the company. Don't give your mails and phone numbers to those sites.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 11:53am On Jul 19, 2015
uchebest2006:
Go to Naira jobs,it is better as you are most likely to learn about the nature,character and experience s of those who had applied. It is like a forward warning signal for job frauds. cool
uchebest2006:
Go to Naira jobs,it is better as you are most likely to learn about the nature,character and experience s of those who had applied. It is like a forward warning signal for job frauds.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jul 19, 2015
Number 5 is very important.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by ednut1(m): 1:48pm On Jul 19, 2015
all a job seeker needs is hotnigerianjobs, myjobmag and Nairaland. dis tin na hustle and pple still get jobs from applying on other sites too. its only a waste of time if u are lazy. as long as u have data/ bis u use to chat it costs u nothing.

6 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by timilehing(m): 2:44pm On Jul 19, 2015
God knows best. Some already got theirs tru dem & some will still get theirs too

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Adaahjacob(m): 4:24pm On Jul 19, 2015
Only 10% real online jobs in Nigeria, out of 101

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by hemartins(m): 4:24pm On Jul 19, 2015
just keep trying in different ways. anyone can work out.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by dammykrane(m): 4:24pm On Jul 19, 2015
noted
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by bunmioguns(m): 4:25pm On Jul 19, 2015
cool

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by dhamstar(m): 4:25pm On Jul 19, 2015
True! Self-employment is the key!!

Youths need to start thinking outside the box!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Federal Civil Service Commission CV Submition And Registration / Pls Help Eeeeee / CBN Offers Automatic Employment To Ebonyi First-Class Graduates Of Economics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.