Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,740 members, 7,806,015 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:19 AM

100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? (7956 Views)

The Monthly Income Of Web Designers / Developers In Nigeria / Http://nahere.com A New Social Network For Developers In Nigeria / Are There Really Good Website Developers In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by yawatide(f): 4:19pm On Mar 11, 2009
DISCLAIMER: This is not a bad belle post, neither is it a post aimed at drumming up tribal sentiments. I am actually quite curious:

http://www.startupsnigeria.com/2009/03/100-best-web-developers-from-nigeria/

After you read this, come back and let's talk:

1) what is their basis for the names posted.  It is cronyism/favoritism?

2) Are there no good south-south developers, for instance?

3) Is it any wonder that most of the names are from one ethnic group? what does this say of the poster?

Come on folks, let's nail talk wink
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by Cactus(m): 4:30pm On Mar 11, 2009
Isnt it weird that there are no sampling of works done by each person?

This is just like me saying, The best people that know how to cook in nigeria, then i ask people to nominate and I just people from the sample. There is no discussion about the metric used in assessing each person.

BS
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by OmniPotens(m): 4:35pm On Mar 11, 2009
That list is just what the writer cares to put up based on his knowledge but the listing is not too good for my liking. Most if not all will be asking the same question as to if there are no developers even from the North or other parts of the country but the writer seems to have taken care of it by asking people to post others they know to be good.

But is there the need for this actually? What about directories, are they not good enough?
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by nitation(m): 4:36pm On Mar 11, 2009
It's absolute fake. I was chatting with a friend about the list, he said, the list looks like SSCE students wanting to write their exams.

Once more, the post is rubbish. We need to know how good these people are before giving them credit. I will never vote for any developer who continuously work on open source project.

My View

- nitation
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by kazey(m): 4:45pm On Mar 11, 2009
I agree to
1. The criteria used is flawed
2. Most of the listed people aren't developers
nitation:

I will never vote for any developer who continuously work on open source project.

My View

- nitation
But when someone says something like
"I will never vote for any developer who continuously work on open source project."

Its like saying
"I would never acknowledge a graduate because he attended online classes or even because he used library books to get an A".

I learnt all I know today through the availability of opensource software, I have contributed to some opensource projects like OSCOMMERCE, PHPNUKE etc,  and I am wondering @nitation, WHY?

Do you hate opensource developers?

I am asking because I learnt all that I know today from other people's work. Maybe my acquired knowledge to you is categorized fake, but the question is why?
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by yawatide(f): 4:49pm On Mar 11, 2009
nitation feel free to answer but at the end of the day, let's focus on the actual post cool

Thanks.
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by nitation(m): 5:27pm On Mar 11, 2009
@ Kazey

You mis-understood my point. I never said open source is bad. What I am pointing out at is, after learning from open source applications, come up with something from scratch. Thats all

- nitation
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by Nobody: 6:58pm On Mar 11, 2009
Here are they (in no particular order)…

1. Kayode Muyibi (Update: This guy wants his name removed)
2. Tim Akimbo
3. Temi Kolawole
4. Gbenga Sesan
5. Seun Osewa
6. Oluniyi David Ajao
7. Emmanuel Oluwatosin
8. Mayowa Owolabi
9. Ike Orizu
10. Oyelaja Bambo

copied from http://www.startupsnigeria.com/2009/03/100-best-web-developers-from-nigeria/
that strikethru shows how dumb some ppl can be, sorry for my hash language, i just cant help it
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by Cactus(m): 4:53am On Mar 12, 2009
1 Cactus
2 Cactus
3 Cactus
4 Cactus
5 Cactus
6 Cactus
7 Cactus
8 Cactus
9 Cactus
10 Cactus
, Cactus
1000 Cactus

Now how about that am the greatest no contest
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by niyyie(m): 6:40am On Mar 12, 2009
I believe the ethnicity thing is a mere coincidence and not deliberate on the part of the author.
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by dammytosh: 9:07am On Mar 12, 2009
nitation:

It. I will never vote for any developer who continuously [/b]work on open source project.

My View

- nitation
  Good one bros, i strongly support your view. A good developer must be able to analyze a problem domain and start something from the scratch to solve the problem in that domain space.
  Bliv it or not, u dnt av to be a php guru to customize [b]SMF 1.0.12.
to give birth to a forum. it is has easy has editing texts on a website and reproducing the website. (Lets be frank, au many times do u edit the logic in open source scripts or code, all u do is to change "Kudi" to "Money" using find and replace in your text editor, delete all occurrences of "bashira" etc.)
   So what makes a script customizer a Programming Guru (note the word "continously"wink it is not bad to edit other peoples work but u should be able to show a reasonable thing u did on your own from scratch before we can consider u as a developer at all.

@firstposter
as for that list, let them show us something reasonable they av done apart from scripts customization.
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by nitation(m): 9:43am On Mar 12, 2009
@ Dammy

Thanks for elaborating. I think my English Illiteracy is making people to misunderstand my point often. I will surely go back to kindergarten for my punctuations.

- nitation
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by hanen(f): 10:23am On Mar 12, 2009
When I first got wind of this post, I wanted to comment, but words failed me. The guy just appeared to have gotten a few of his developer friends and added them to the list. Even on other lists I see on many web blogs where they are compiling some of the best professionals around, noone puts 'Best'. It's presumptuous and reeks of favoritism.

The list then lost all credibility when I realized there are no links to any of these people's works. The guy should get rid of that misleading title and call it

'Ten Dudes I Know That Have Done Stuff Online You Don't Need to See'.
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by kazey(m): 10:39am On Mar 12, 2009
dammytosh:

So what makes a script customizer a Programming Guru (note the word "continously"wink it is not bad to edit other peoples work but u should be able to show a reasonable thing u did on your own from scratch before we can consider u as a developer at all.

Your definition of a programming guru is very ambiguous. This is the reason why?

1. A programming guru is someone that can actually read codes, writes codes, understand written codes and be able to re-create read codes with or without any help

2. Programming guru's use libraries, engines, frameworks and tools to speed up their development cycle.

3. A good programmer in-fact would not waste time developing everything from scratch, he or she would make use of existing libraries, template engines, and even frameworks that he might or might not have created to solve a problem.

From your assertion

1. You are assuming that a programmer that  develops software using engines, frameworks and libraries is not competent.

2. You are assuming that when a developer embraces the usage of open-source scripts, he is not competent enough to re-write the code himself.

I would say this again, the criteria of choosing a programming guru should not be based on what a developer uses to achieve a goal, but rather how the programmer embraces the programming languages and how he or she uses them to provide ground breaking solutions. This means the programmer should be judged based on how he develops solutions through or without the usage of customizations, tweaks and enhancements of existing available solutions to solve the problem.

I have worked with many great developers, I have many great developers as friends, and I have friends working in software developing firms and all this group of people do use opensource scripts, libraries, frameworks and engines in their development.

Even the facebook and paypal uses opensource scripts too, try to view their javascript codes for example, you would see some part where they give credits to the actual open-source developers. They do not develop everything from scratch !!
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by gbengaijot(m): 11:01am On Mar 12, 2009
i aint a coder ooo. But here is my 2 cent;

lets assume i am a dry cleaner, and i use machine(open source) to wash clothe, and there is another dry cleaner that uses hand (build from ground up). He then claims to be a better dry cleaner than me? Does that make his claims true?

Its just a question ooo

My opinion is that, its not the means, but the end that matters. I believe Nairaland was created using open source (correct me if i am wrong), does that make seun an incompetent coder?
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by dammytosh: 11:02am On Mar 12, 2009
cool Coughssss !!!!!
Let us take your points as numbered for easy analysis.

kazey:

i.Your  definition of a programming guru is very ambiguous. This is the reason why?
i. I cant remember defining a programming guru at any point in my post.

kazey:

ii. A programming guru is someone that can actually read codes, understand them and be able to re-create them with or without any help
ii. No argument but what authority are u citing ?

kazey:

iii. Programming guru's use libraries, engines, frameworks and tools to speed up their development cycle.
iii. libraries, engines and frameworks and "copy and replace" variables has nothing to do in common.

kazey:

3. A good programmer in-fact would not iv. waste time developing everything from scratch, he or she would make use of existing libraries, template engines, and even frameworks that he might or might not have created to solve a problem.
iv. No professional developer will re-invent the wheel agreed sir.

kazey:

v. From your assertion
v. "Assertion ?" you must be a good phd student grin

kazey:

vi. You are assuming that a programmer that  develops using engines, frameworks and libraries is not competent.
vi. i cant remember saying this either undecided. if i am assuming that, then i am not competent at all lipsrsealed

kazey:

vii. You are assuming that when a developer embraces the usage of open-source scripts, he is not competent enough to re-write his code himself.
vii. taaaaaaaaa Who said that ? angry "I call that point a sympathy point aimed at attracting supporters on ones view.dnt try that again otherwise banned smiley"

I will simply conclude that what u quote contradicts the assertion u arrived at completely.  angry and u owe me an unreserved apology within the next 24hours or i will sue u for libel.  cool

gbengaijot:

i aint a coder ooo. But here is my 2 cent;
lets assume i am a dry cleaner, and i use machine(open source) to wash clothe, and there is another dry cleaner that uses hand (build from ground up). He then claims to be a better dry cleaner than me? Does that make his claims true?
U aint a coder. Eh yah, the analogy shows that. grin
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by MrCrackles(m): 11:06am On Mar 12, 2009
I dont trust that list! wink
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by dammytosh: 11:09am On Mar 12, 2009
Lest i forget , the title says "100 BEST DEVELOPERS"

There is more to software development than coding. i stand to be corrected but not thrown stones at. cool
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by kazey(m): 11:20am On Mar 12, 2009
dammytosh:

Good one bros, i strongly support your view. A good developer must be able to analyze a problem domain and start something from the scratch to solve the problem in that domain space.

dammytosh:

You said the above didn't you?  Let me guess you write your programs using machine codes, because writing codes even in second generation languages like assembly, is still not from scratch, Writing for the machine directly, would be from scratch and would make a total sense to prove your point, that you are a supposed "GURU" and qualified
to be in the list of the 100 Best developers in Nigeria according to "LOY OKEZIE".
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by mambenanje(m): 11:30am On Mar 12, 2009
@kazy, nitation, dammy
I know one rule DONT REINVENT THE WHEEL. if most of the problems I have to solve have been solved for me will you blame me for using other people's works and solving them ??

Well the list cannot be considered good or bad, atleast the list is driving traffic to his website, calling concern, giving the poster more money and attention. Also the list is a good start for other people to comment and come up with a better list which he is doing well.
I prefer the list being up to nothing at all. But I guess some people here will prefer the list never surfacing which is one thing killing Africa
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by nitation(m): 11:51am On Mar 12, 2009
@ kazey

Program the way you love. lets leave this argument out.

- nitation
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by Nobody: 12:14pm On Mar 12, 2009
these PHDs sef, wetin go go come do nah!

i think everyone knows deep down what class they belong. i can decide tomorrow to start using open source, that does not prove that i am not good at what i do.
but seriously, if you cant code from scratch, then i dont see you as a programming guru.
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by Afam4eva(m): 12:32pm On Mar 12, 2009
I never knew seun osewa was a we developer, who put up that list and what was the criteria for choosing those people.

People will just wake up one morning and decide to behave like illiterates.
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by dammytosh: 1:33pm On Mar 12, 2009
webdezzi:

but seriously, if you cant code from scratch, then i dont see you as a programming guru.
That is the point "if you cant code from scratch " not that "if you use open source".

As for reinventing the wheel i thought i mentioned it in my 4th point earlier. You don't expect me to start writing a program for "online forum" or "blog" because the open source version is virtually in all web languages. That shows that i support script customization and use it too.

But the bitter truth is, if u can not start an application(software) from REQUIREMENTS GATHERING, SYSTEM ANALYSIS to SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT when situation demands it, Then you are not a Software Developer. lipsrsealed
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by yawatide(f): 3:23pm On Mar 12, 2009
But the bitter truth is, if u can not start an application(software) from REQUIREMENTS GATHERING, SYSTEM ANALYSIS to SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT when situation demands it, Then you are not a Software Developer.

I will say it is neither bitter nor the truth. One can write a solid app without any of the above. Is it ideal? No but it can be done. Such documentation, again a good idea, is what people who can afford to go through the software development cycle will demand. If you are okoro with a brilliant idea looking for someone to code something for you, as has been advertised many times on NL, I doubt such documentation crosses his mind. Again, I am not saying it is good but it's reality. A software developer literally develops software. By that defintion, even if you code a "hello world"app, you are a software developer. Of course, a "hello world" app won't take you far but the fact remains that it was developed and it is software. My humbl opinion anyways.

kazey/niyyie:
I believe the ethnicity thing is a mere coincidence and not deliberate on the part of the author.
Sure, for the same reason some white americans will say there is no racism in america - cos they don't experience what the blks are experiencing on account of their skin color.

Let's flip the script for a bit: Supposing you met a list of 10 hausa names with, for the sake of argument, a sprinkle of ibo and yoruba. Let's even add that there are links to these ppl's works and they are actually good. Let's be honest, what is the first thing that would go through your mind, given that you probably know people who are good and who aren't hausa? Again, be very honest with yourselves. As a matter of fact, someone like me would probably add that "this is the same way they think they can rule this country forever". Of course the poster may be posting based on those he knows but its the perception and perception they say, is reality.
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by Cactus(m): 6:54pm On Mar 12, 2009
It is quite difficult to rank people because each person has his or her on skills and interest.

If they want to rank people in terms of their skills maybe they can sort of give a problem and ask contestant to solve for speed and efficiency.

Well ranking web designers/developers is sort of crap really it doesnt matter that much. For those who care about rank
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by Nobody: 10:12am On Mar 13, 2009
see me see trouble oo cactus, see guys blowing grammer so tay the thing come go jam ethnicity.

for real, i dont know why web developers are been ranked. many here on Nairaland are quiet and i know they know this stuff.

take top 100 pure water hackers in Oshodi for instance,

how do you know who is the best and what is the yardstick, is it speed, sales volume, cleanliness, friendliness or what.

as far as i know, you can run miles in seconds and appear to be everywhere, and yet make little sale compared to a small girl who sat in a corner and sold 5 bags to thirsty bricklayers in 10 minutes.
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Mar 14, 2009
This thread is very interesting really. . . i think we should paste our own 100 list in this board. . .i hope i make it. . .

@topic: stuffs like this are very very controversial. . .unless the basis for selection are posted clearly like webdezzi said.
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by Tiger007: 1:12am On Mar 17, 2009
well, i think this will be a good start to something new…but seriously all the developers on the list so far are templates users !! Let me break it down

TImi - Antigravity uses wordpress templates for all their websites, making use of the plugins and widget to make a complete and interesting website ( is that a developer?) read their source code !

Seun - Am suprised he made the list….a ready-made template author?? He is meant to be on the list of lucky webmasters.

Kayode Muyibi- never seen his work yet, except the wordpress template…, Guys wake up and lets face reality !! Make your research well before judging’ The word developer is too huge for these guys, use some other word !
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by goldenimp(m): 10:05am On Mar 17, 2009
webdezzi:

see me see trouble oo cactus, see guys blowing grammer so tay the thing come go jam ethnicity.

for real, i dont know why web developers are been ranked. many here on Nairaland are quiet and i know they know this stuff.

take top 100 pure water soilers in Oshodi for instance,

how do you know who is the best and what is the yardstick, is it speed, sales volume, cleanliness, friendliness or what.

as far as i know, you can run miles in seconds and appear to be everywhere, and yet make little sale compared to a small girl who sat in a corner and sold 5 bags to thirsty bricklayers in 10 minutes.

i quite agree

Tiger007:

Seun - Am suprised he made the list….a ready-made template author?? He is meant to be on the list of lucky webmasters.

grin cheesy
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by Afam4eva(m): 10:31am On Mar 17, 2009
Damn this people cannot code to save their lives.
Re: 100 Best Developers In Nigeria? Says Who? by dammytosh: 10:44am On Mar 17, 2009
afam4eva:

Damn this people cannot code to save their lives.
grin
People confuse the use of Find and Replace "dollar" to "naira",delete all occurences of "america", change variable names "TheDate" to "MyDate"etc (Those funny stuffs u do when u customize existing forum or blog scripts) and other stuffs a primary 4 pupil who knows au to use notepad or any other text editors very well can do for being a developer.  smiley

yawa-ti-de:

I will say it is neither bitter nor the truth.  One can write a solid [/b]app without [b]any of the above.  Is it ideal? No but it can be done
How solid and what type of app can u build without first knowing what u want to build (requirement gathering), sitting down to think and figure out how you will build it (System Analysis) and implementing your thought in code. A very Solid app indeed embarassed

Not that it is not ideal alone, it can't be done.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Things You Must Know Before Starting A Blog / Help, My Alexa Ranking Is Dropping Very Fast / Why Is Web Development So Complex?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.