Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,720 members, 7,802,171 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:24 AM

Nairaland Philosophy Students - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Philosophy Students (18382 Views)

Amazing Art & Philosophy Illustration Of The Real World / GST112: Philosophy And Human Existence, Term Paper / Thread For All Philosophy Students And Graduates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by promisechild(m): 11:24pm On May 27, 2016
A Survey Of Egyptian Philosophy in Contribution to Philosophy. By Toba Adekolure(Theocracy)

In the first book of metaphysics of Aristotle there is an emphasis on how man wants to know. This act of acquisition for knowledge is not limited only to a particular, group,society or race, Meaning that Africans is not left in the quest for knowledge and thus we have our own system of thought and philosophy, hence the long debate that Africa had no philosophy has long been buried and settled.

The Pharaohic past of Egypt was a great egnima. Egypt is a transcontinental country, it is an Eurafrasian country having Africa and Europe on the same land mass,spanning through the northeast corner of Africa and the southwest corner of Israel through a bridge formed by the Peninsula. Egypt is bordered by Israel to the northeast, Libya to the west and Sudan to the south.
The Pharaohic Egypt philosophy was concerned about proper conduct and justice. The ancient Egyptian philosophy was also concerned about the after life because they believe the soul which they refer to as " KA" to be immortal and in order for the soul not to leave a damn life after the death of the body one needs to leave an ethical life. The Egyptian Philosophy was pragmatic and attentive to emotion. It is prescriptive in nature, telling one how to behave within a given context. The basic reflection in this period is the speculation on the universe, the human person, his life, death and destiny.
The Egyptian mystery school system was the first systemized school in the history of man. It was established by the priest philosophy scholars who are highly vast in religion,mathematics, philosophy and natural sciences. These schools existed in cities like Heliopolis, Thebes and Memphis. On their entrance door were these words " Man Know Thyself" which was later on adopted by the renowned Greek philosopher Socrates. These Schools had earlier Identified water(NUN) fire(ATUM),air(SHUK) and boundless(HUK),mind,conflict and order playing a significant role in the generation of the the universe. They also identified 4 major elements responsible for the existence of the universe and this are water,air,fire,and earth which was later expounded by the Greek ilonian philosophers. During this era the Egyptian gave birth to great intellectuals like Imphotep who was usually called the god of medicine by the Greeks. He was the first to successfully carried out a surgical operation in the world. We also have Ptah hotep who is regarded as the first philosopher in the world. He is famous for his assertion that "the duty of the strong is to protect the weak." Here also we have Hypathia who was a great mathematician, astronomer and the first recorded female philosopher.

It is an undisputable fact that the contribution of Africa to philosophy in general was an enormous one.

This work is written by Toba Adekolure (Theocracy) a student of Kogi State University.

It is strictly based on my lecturer's teaching in the classroom..

let discuss philosophy 08139018012
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by Walesmahn: 9:36am On Jul 09, 2016
Pls i would like to be added to the whatapps philosophy group. I'm currently studing philosophy at UNILAG, 400lv. Herez my number: 08082908162. Thank you
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by Mesopotamia(f): 6:44pm On Jul 16, 2016
me too.
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by Valkyr: 6:31am On Mar 15, 2017
arcnomec:
please I have one question for all critical thinkers in this room......while I was in school,our philosophy lecturer drew this question at us....-"those an android rationalize? if yes,defend your assertion and if no,do like wise...... so it was a huge debt trying to defend ones postulation in school then...........So please help me and satisfy my curious mind...........Because your debt of being ness brought is to my little mind.......thanks

Still on philosophy of mind, a functionalist philosopher of mind would argue that if an artificially intelligent system(android) performs the same functions as humans_ then it is intelligent..
If an android reasons, it is not even aware of its reasoning. it does not have qualitative experience (qualia)...consider an automated teller machine and a human teller in a bank...both perform same functions... but the ATM is not 'aware' that it is giving cash, it does not experience it..
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by Valkyr: 6:34am On Mar 15, 2017
Toyolad:
#clears throat#...many a times, our feelings,emotions and our culture tend to cloud our way of reasoning.We tend to appeal to our unwritten laws which we feel so closely connected to, this makes us hastily judge issues without critically assessing and analyzing them..one of these issues is the issue about the rightness or better still, the wrongness of homosexuality.

Dear critical thinkers, as reason beckons on us...let's state our positions on this issue that has almost divided citizens of our world into two factions.

Is homosexuality right or wrong ?

cc; fynestboi, Damosky12,freemanan,yusuph1986, arcnomec,yielding....waiting for our contribution(s).

the label of homo sapiens is misleading in light of recent scientific findings
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by cbravo(m): 4:18am On Apr 11, 2017
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by Edozie82: 9:42am On Apr 11, 2017
good day pals...please can anybody help me on this topic," Philosophy is defined as a child of failure"...I need your response soon.thanks.
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by cbravo(m): 9:03am On Apr 15, 2017
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by cbravo2: 9:10am On Apr 15, 2017
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by cbravo(m): 7:15am On Apr 20, 2017
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by cbravo3: 7:18am On Apr 20, 2017
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by cbravo(m): 1:21pm On Apr 20, 2017
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by cbravo2: 1:27pm On Apr 20, 2017
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by Toyolad(m): 2:07pm On Apr 29, 2017
Valkyr:

the label of homo sapiens is misleading in light of recent scientific findings

mind shedding more light sir?
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by donblazer10(m): 12:36am On Jul 28, 2017
Plis what's the subject combination for philosophy?
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by sanusijoyjoy: 3:23pm On Jul 28, 2017
donblazer10:
Plis what's the subject combination for philosophy?
what's your. combo
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by donblazer10(m): 4:00pm On Jul 28, 2017
sanusijoyjoy:
what's your. combo
english..literature..Government. Crs
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by sanusijoyjoy: 4:57pm On Jul 28, 2017
donblazer10:
english..literature..Government. Crs
so what's bothering you on this and what's your score
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by donblazer10(m): 5:21pm On Jul 28, 2017
sanusijoyjoy:
so what's bothering you on this and what's your score
I jst wanna knw if it's correct..I got 223 and I've got 2As and 3bs in my five compulsory subject..chose UI
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by handsespen: 10:18am On Sep 19, 2017
Civil State In John Locke’s Political Philosophy: Its Relevance To Nigerian Democracy

From the state of nature, people enter into civil state through consent, to surrender their right of enforcing the law of nature to the society for them to setup a lawful form of government they thought fit. Democracy being a system of government under which the people exercise the governing power either directly or through representatives duly elected by them

http://www.scharticles.com/civil-state-john-lockes-political-philosophy-relevance-nigerian-democracy/
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by koolnd: 10:52am On Sep 19, 2017
Critical Appraisal Of The State Of Nature And Political Right In Thomas Hobbes

The State of Nature
The notion that man is a creature equipped from birth for society is a view implicit in Plato and expressly formulated by Aristotle in the genesis of his politics. Man is by nature, a political animal. Anyone who by his nature and not simply by ill-luck has no state is either too bad or too good, either sub-human or super- human...

http://www.scharticles.com/critical-appraisal-state-nature-political-right-thomas-hobbes/

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jan 29, 2019
Hello sirs here.
I will appreciate it if someone can supply an honest and a credible reply to my questions below:
1.Is philosophy a hard major compared to other essay based courses like pol sci,sociology,psychology etc.?

2.Considering the fact of philosophy being an essay based and subjective course,can someone without a good command of English as at entry into the department,scale through the course victoriously..?

3.Is there any necessary skill(s) one should possess before pursuing d degree?

4.As an undergraduate-to-be of the department,what should one expect,and should it take to have a very good grade?

5.With a philosophy degree,can one earn masters in another course different from philosophy?

6.Lastly,what is/are possible career(s) for philosophy degree holder in Nigeria?

Pls,a brother that is at a brink of taking a crucial decision...

TariEnoch Valkyr SirBigH TrumpDonald damosky12 dake40 Fynestboi promisechild
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by Valkyr: 10:52am On Jan 31, 2020
Hello sirs here.
I will appreciate it if someone can supply an honest and a credible reply to my questions below:
1.Is philosophy a hard major compared to other essay based courses like pol sci,sociology,psychology etc.?

2.Considering the fact of philosophy being an essay based and subjective course,can someone without a good command of English as at entry into the department,scale through the course victoriously..?

3.Is there any necessary skill(s) one should possess before pursuing d degree?

4.As an undergraduate-to-be of the department,what should one expect,and should it take to have a very good grade?

5.With a philosophy degree,can one earn masters in another course different from philosophy?

6.Lastly,what is/are possible career(s) for philosophy degree holder in Nigeria?

Pls,a brother that is at a brink of taking a crucial decision...

TariEnoch Valkyr SirBigH TrumpDonald damosky12 dake40 Fynestboi promisechild

Sir, I am just seeing this. I'd love to still answer although Idk if the need is still there
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by Stargurl20(f): 12:57pm On Jan 31, 2020
Did philosophy in my 100lv, 2nd semester. I must confess - I enjoyed learning it.
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by jeff35(m): 10:01pm On Feb 01, 2020
Stargurl20:
Did philosophy in my 100lv, 2nd semester. I must confess - I enjoyed learning it.

what course/sch?
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by heyhey2016: 5:05pm On Jan 25, 2022
how's it there boss? plan on studying the course too...
SirBigH:
Currently studying Philosophy, Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka, Anambra State. This thread is timely and I'd urge us to keep it going. Special appreciation to our "Senior" colleagues in the house.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Serious Protest In UNIJOS Over Percieved Increase Of Fees / Police Teargas, Shoot & Chase LAUTECH Students Protesting 7 Months Strike / Majority Of University Of Ibadan Lecturers Voted For Indefinite Strike - UI VC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.