Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,428 members, 7,808,529 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:04 PM

20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job (22256 Views)

20 Things You Should Never Do At A Job Interview / Will This Affect Me When Searching For A Job? / Checkout 20 Things Recruiters Do Not Want To See On Your CV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job by youngwarlocks: 11:49am On Jul 21, 2015
ik
Re: 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job by yungkiz(m): 11:50am On Jul 21, 2015
Nice one, this is what we need here, not 20 things that employer's should not see on ur cv

Tnx @op

Lalasticala
Re: 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job by LEXYCOM: 11:56am On Jul 21, 2015
lonelydora:
21. Pray to God
That should be number one
Re: 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job by peterezinw(m): 11:58am On Jul 21, 2015
Thanks for the post Op

I'm guilty of no 4, 12 & 14 and hmmm, ehhh, huh we talking

I got an invitation for an interview over d weekend and as I just saw no 4, i said thank God for smart phones I replied immediately.

And guys dat want to block babe can take a clue grin
Re: 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jul 21, 2015
Thanks OP for sharing this.
Re: 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job by djsaintboss(m): 12:02pm On Jul 21, 2015
@OP, you just nailed it. Very simple and concise with your point.
Re: 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job by Segadem(m): 12:06pm On Jul 21, 2015
naijainfogalery:
I was opportune to participate in the recruitment process for a notable organisation in Nigeria and it opened my eyes to so many mistakes our graduates make during application. One thing everyone needs to understand is searching for a job is a full time job which requires skills, experience and a lot of hard work

Let me explain what happened
We placed ads on so many online portal , in less than one week, we got over 2,000 Applications (CVs.) Like seriously? How am i going to sieve out the candidates, Truth be said i tried opening the CV one after the other, I wasted the first 2 days without result as none of the applicants were impressive. So we had to employ some methods to shortlist which worked perfectly.

So from the experience, here is the solution to the common mistakes employees make during application:

1. Write A Little Description in the body of the email: Always Add A brief description about yourself in the body of the email. I don’t mean writing about where you came from or your hobbies, write a little about your qualifications and skills. This gives you a high chance as it gives the recruiter a reason to want to open your CV.

2. Well Arranged CV: Before anyone reads the content of your email, the first thing that attracts them the quality of the design of your CV, make sure your CV is well formatted with good fonts and make sure it looks good, i don’t mean designing your CV or adding colours

3. High Quality CV: Write good and simple English, avoid writing stories, write short and straight to the point, make your CV very interesting and attractive that would make the recruiter want to shortlist you

4. Reply Interview Emails: Whenever you get an email from a company about an interview or test, always reply their emails confirming the appointment for the interview or test. I noticed most applicants don’t do that. This makes the interviewer somehow know you.

5. Avoid Too Much talk and Be prepared: During the test or Interview avoid too chit chats with other applicants, always be prepared, bring your biro, pencils, calculators, paper etc. I noticed some people come for test without biros or pencils etc

6. Reschedule if need be: If for any reason you can’t make it to the interview, Don’t be scared to ask them to reschedule instead of sending emails after the interview has been conducted if you cant make it down on the interview date.

7. Thank You Message: Once you have been shortlisted, don’t hesitate to send a thank you message, But please make it very formal. Guess what? It has a way of making the Interviewer remember your name, you will be surprised how this will go a long way in making the person want you. I still remember the names of the 2 people that sent us a thank you message.

8. Never Miss a call: During the interview, one aspect of the interview was to do a phone call interview before inviting users for the face to face interview, During the process, Some applicants phones were switched off while some missed our calls, and the funny thing is 70% of them never called back, and because we had so many people, we didn’t call them back, when you are applying for a job, your phone must be available 24/7

9. Watch your caller tone: while calling I noticed so many funny and annoying caller tunes, Its so funny how those caller tunes already gave me a very bad impression of the person,

10. Dress Well: Please please please, even if you need to borrow, never wear a rough , dirty or tar-tared cloth to an interview. believe me even if you are good no one is going to employ you

11.Bad Body language: Sit straight, focus, make a good eye contact, but don’t make it look daring, I cant believe most people cant sit well on a chair, their body languages was just totally off.

12. Color of cloth: Please when you are going for an interview there are some colours you should just avoid, how can you wear a black , red or pink shirt to an interview. Its not as if these colours are bad but people put meanings to colours, its safer to wear something everyone is comfortable with like Blue, white, or any strip shirts beware of lousy colours. During the interview, a guy wasn’t picked because he wore a pink shirt. One of the interviewer who is very sensitive to pink says the dude might be gay, so funny

13. Some people talk badly: Most people don’t even know they talk badly, you need to watch the way you talk, Do a video of yourself talking and you will understand what i mean, some people are fond of using some particular words or ehmm ehmmmmm , yea huh, etc Ask people around you and also be conscious of how you speak.

14. Listen and don’t Interrupt: Never in any way interrupt while the interviewer is speaking, if you must object while the person is talking, either you raise your hand or wait for the person to finish talking but interfering while the person is talking makes you look rude.

15. Don’t Lie: One thing i have noticed during interviews is people always lie, never lie except you can actually back up your lies very well. EG dont tell me you have computer experience when you cannot even type on a computer,

16. Avoid too Much Sir: One annoying thing i noticed during the interview is the desperate ways Nigerian graduates use “Sir”. Good morning Sir, Thank Sir, What did you say sir, I didn’t hear you sir, can you rephrase sir, i didn’t bring it sir, I attended Babcock sir. If possible prevent using sir, or if you must use it, you shouldn’t use it , it should be limited, Over using it makes you look desperate and cheap.

17. Research well About the Company Before Negotiation: How can you be applying to a company and you know nothing about them, make sure you research well about the company and their salary range, When asked how much you want to be paid, make sure you have researched a little about the company or just go for an amount you feel comfortable with. Don’t under charge because you are desperate and also don’t overcharge because you are expecting a miracle, How can a graduate without skills/experience be demanding for Two Hundred and Fifty Thousand Naira (N250,000) in an investment company

18. Smell Good: I understand we all get sweaty and sometimes smelly, but getting smelly in an interview room is a NO NO, please use a roll on or perfume, You don’t want to be smelling, if you have a mouth odour, chew gum to give you a good breath before entering the interview room.

19. Make sure your certificates are Clean: Make sure your certificates are properly kept, why would you employ someone with a torn certificate ?

20. Dont be late: For any reason never be late to an interview. No one would like to employ a late comer.

Source http://www.naijanani.com/20-mistakes-employees-make-searching-job/

cc lalasticlala
wonderful
Re: 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job by deebsman1(m): 12:14pm On Jul 21, 2015
Many a times, someone will be like what am i even doing on this Nairaland but with posts like this, u will just keep coming back. Insightful thanks OP
Re: 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job by BeauHomme: 12:23pm On Jul 21, 2015
@OP
Noted sir, nice thread sir, may God bless you Sir for giving these tips Sirgrin
Re: 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jul 21, 2015
op thanks, point noted
Re: 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job by bakynes(m): 12:36pm On Jul 21, 2015
Nice write up OP but I object to the issue of annoying caller tunes. Sometimes these Tele comms companies subscribe to these caller tunes without your knowledge and charge you for it.
Re: 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job by Ghost01(m): 12:37pm On Jul 21, 2015
ritux:
Nice one op. I have also had the opportunity to review peoples resume and invite them for interview. Immediately I see things like '' i '' or some crazy grammatical errors in the body of your email, I don't bother opening the attached CV.
Is "I" haram in the body of a job-application email or you mean the small letter "i"?
Re: 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job by Ghost01(m): 12:39pm On Jul 21, 2015
And what if the candidate is gay, OP, what's the interviewer's own with that? It isn't funny.
Re: 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job by pjecly: 12:54pm On Jul 21, 2015
God is great, The status of economy has demanded all and sundry to come hear and write different essays on job interviews. It's a pity all these are happening. I still strongly believe that only the grace of God and luck land someone the dream job. Very soon, I shall write my story as a one time job seeker by His grace.
Re: 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job by Pakingzzz(m): 12:55pm On Jul 21, 2015
Do you have any unused items no matter the shape and state of the items?
You can sell that item for a good price. There's a platform I am going to tell you that will advertise your unused item, and in no time you will start receiving calls from interested buyers.
You would be wondering, what kind of unused item can u sell on that platform right?
Here's the crux of the matter. Statics have shown that there are some people out there who are desperately in need of that item of yours..
To get a deep insight on how and the place to sell those items of yours, please you may visit HERE
Re: 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job by Olaolohun(m): 1:22pm On Jul 21, 2015
Nice 1, bt don't 4get to pray to God to lead u to d right path
Re: 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job by professore(m): 2:15pm On Jul 21, 2015
This is an eye opener
Re: 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job by mandonnels(m): 2:28pm On Jul 21, 2015
so educating. thumbs up
Re: 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job by ritux: 2:40pm On Jul 21, 2015
Ghost01:
Is "I" haram in the body of a job-application email or you mean the small letter "i"?

The small let ''i''. It puts me off.
Re: 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job by Sleek85: 3:15pm On Jul 21, 2015
Nice one.
Re: 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job by phemmy1987: 3:37pm On Jul 21, 2015
Thanks for this post. I just sent an acknowledgment text to a company that invited me for an interview.
Re: 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job by Ghost01(m): 3:44pm On Jul 21, 2015
ritux:

The small let ''i''. It puts me off.
Ok. Thanks!
Re: 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job by QueenSarafina(f): 4:28pm On Jul 21, 2015
cheesy wink[ wink Hmn *Nice one and thank you
Re: 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job by hadura29(m): 4:32pm On Jul 21, 2015
macino1:
Nice write up.

but i don read dis kind link or steps tire. D interview person nor see. Let alone d job. Baba God i dey ur hand ohhhhh. Forsake me not.

Amen my brother, God go help us all to get the job our hearts desire ooo!!!!

1 Like

Re: 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job by remixs(m): 3:54pm On Jul 22, 2015
Nice write up,actually am new in d game and I hope to get job as fast as possible,one thing I know is dat I av to observe myself and the interviewer.
Re: 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job by Nobody: 7:37am On Jul 23, 2015
Hmm
Re: 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job by QueenSarafina(f): 5:21pm On Oct 13, 2015
Nice post*thank you
Re: 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job by xchet(m): 9:17pm On Jan 08, 2016
Nice one...

What's OP? I like to know before using as I see most people here use tha acronym
Re: 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job by emisia15(m): 2:26pm On Feb 04, 2016
nice one.
Re: 20 Things To Observe When Searching For Job by Charlieubochi: 10:17am On Apr 20, 2017
PROGRAMME OFFICER

PMC LTD is a Canadian based NGO with offices in Africa,we partner with SAB (Scientific Advisory Board) and ACDC (American Center for Disease Control). We are currently searching for vibrant,intelligent and energetic youths in Nigeria to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. PMC LTD works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on poverty eradication, Community Health and, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender equity.

BASIC INCENTIVES

* Every successful candidate after the screening exercise will be trained if qualified the candidate will be eligible for an international training in either South Africa, Dubai, or California
* Each candidate during the training will receive monthly bonuses after which will be placed on a progressive salary, with various allowances .
* Successful candidates will enjoy time flexibility during and after the training exercise

About the Role.

Every candidate will pass through a written and oral interview session after which each successful candidate will be trained courtesy of SAB and ACDC. This training empowers the individual to live beyond poverty and create lasting wealth through people management regardless of gender, age or other dimension of diversity .

JOB REQUIREMENTS

MIN REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:

1 year

MIN QUALIFICATION:

Bachelor's Degree/HND

DESIRED COURSES:

Not Specified

Rivers State. (Surrounding States also acceptable)

OTHER REQUIREMENTS:

About You

You must have a 1st degree in Social Science or development related field with at least 1 year experience with a local or an international based NGO as well as strong writing, analytical and documentation skills.
A good knowledge of programme management, financial controls and procedures as well as direct experience of developing partners capacity is an added advantage.

Further information

This role requires applicants to work in the state where this position is based.

We value diversity and aspire to reflect this in our workforce. We welcome applications from people from all sections of the community, irrespective of race, colour, gender, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief.

You can expect a wide range of rewards, benefits,and flexibility that will ensure you enjoy a good work/life balance.

Competency questions

As part of your application you will be asked to demonstrate your suitability by giving answers to the following questions:

Build partnerships

Tell us about a time when you were proactive in taking on new and additional work to achieve a team or organisational goal: What was the situation? What was the new/additional work? What was your task? What did you do? What was the outcome? What was the impact of what you did?

Communicate effectively

Give us an example of a time when you communicated something complex in a way that could be easily understood by others: What was the situation? What did you need to communicate effectively? How did you make sure the message was understood by others? What was the impact? How did you know you were successful?

Steward resources

Please tell us about a time when you were able to take action to end or reduce the inefficient use of resources: What was the context? What was expected of you? What action(s) did you take? What was the impact of your actions? In what way(s) were you successful?

Interested persons should pls forward their CV's to workforceng2016@gmail.com
And / call these numbers for enquiry.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos State Primary Health Care Board Latest Job Recruitment (13 Positions) / Nigerian Airforce Online Registration Commences Today / Police Recruitment: Arase Gives Insight On Recruitment Process

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.