Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,477 members, 7,808,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:12 PM

4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise (3107 Views)

Police Recruitment Exercise In Rivers Today (Photos) / 4 Lessons I Learned From Quitting My Job With No Back-up Plan / 2016 Nigerian Airforce Recruitment Exercise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by ogzille(m): 4:55pm On Jul 21, 2015
I want to share a few lessons from the ongoing recruitment at MyJobMag.com
The 4 week contract job is for a Data Entry Officer (Youth Corper). The job description was posted online on myjobmag.com at exactly 7am this morning.
As at the time of this writing, 1.19pm, we have a total number of 91 applications.
The shortlisting has started as it is an urgent position and job description taken down.

Find below vital lessons to learn from this exercise.

1. Speed

The saying "delay is dangerous" can be said to be true for almost everything in life including job search. As a jobseeker, procrastination may make you miss a job and this is clearly illustrated here. Please, do not tell me that you missed it because "the job is not destined for you".

Since the open position does not require any special skillset, we received 91 applications in less than 7 hours of posting. This may equally apply for other jobs that do not require special skills and experience.
So, what are you waiting for? Push out your application for that job right away!

Oh, we have closed submissions for the data entry position in 7 hours contrary to our initial July 24th deadline. Hope this gives you an extra reason to apply now.

2. Break a few rules

Disclaimer: You need wisdom here. If you lack wisdom, please move to point 3.

Considering that the Data Entry contract position is a basic one, we decided to peg the remuneration at N30,000 (Thirty Thousand Naira). This we believe is too little for a University graduate. Putting the aforementioned in perspective, we decided that we will prefer a Youth Corper that can quickly get the job done.

Does this mean that we cannot recruit an OND graduate or awaiting service or even a graduate for the 4 weeks? The answer is NO. We only felt that the N30,000 can only make sense for an intern or corper.

This illustration can be extended to other scenarios, such as:

1. An accountant with ability the use two accounting software.
If you are an excellent accountant with the requisite experience and can use one accounting software, you may consider applying for the job.

2. The company requests for 5 years experience, and you have 4 years requisite experience. Please go ahead and apply. Just do your best to convince them that you can do the job.

Now, back to my disclaimer. Please, do not apply if:

An accountant is required and you are an engineer.
A man is required and you are a woman
Minimum of 10 years experience is required and you are a fresh graduate (No prayer and fasting can help you here).
I am sure you can think of other scenarios where it may be near useless to apply. I decided to add the "near" to the useless to ensure someone does not come up with "nothing is impossible".

The summary is: as a smart applicant, you need to understand the tone of the message. This will enable you know what is considered a deal breaker or optional.

3. Follow Instructions

Now, point 2 and point 3 appear contradictory, right?
Please, think again because they are not!

Not following application procedure is wrong. The job description clearly states: "send application", over 50% of candidates that applied forwarded blank emails with their CVs attached. Seeing such makes me feel that you cannot write or you are just spreading your CV "as usual" or you simply think it is not worth the extra effort.

We also requested that the subject of email be "Data Entry". Sadly over 30% did not follow this.
This is obviously a bad sign. Some emails had "FW: " as part of the subject. Do you think a recruiter needs to know that you are just forwarding an email?

4. Little things matter!

It amazes me how jobseekers send in CVs with a blank body. I consider this simply ridiculous.
No greeting, no introduction, not even a reminder that you have your CV attached.
To buttress my point, we did not go through CVs that came with a blank body at all.
The question is this: Why go through a blank email when I can see better applications? Why go for a mediocre candidate?
You need to change the "lazy mentality".

Job search is a project and should be seen and handled as such.
Quit being regular and lazy (sorry for being harsh).
Determine to get your dream job fast.

Wish you all the best.

Culled from MyJobMag.com

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by debris: 5:23pm On Jul 21, 2015
Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by viqueta(m): 7:43pm On Jul 21, 2015
I smell front page, shocked

1 Like

Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by seedbaba(m): 7:48pm On Jul 21, 2015
Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by donigspain(m): 7:53pm On Jul 21, 2015
Very valid points.
Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by lokojay1989(m): 7:57pm On Jul 21, 2015
Lesson learned
Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jul 21, 2015
sadI am guilty , thanks Op
Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by obinna2nv(m): 9:36pm On Jul 21, 2015
You make sense. But 91 applications in 7 hours for 1 position tells the whole story...
Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by MznAirA(f): 10:14pm On Jul 21, 2015
Nice points
Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by wroskian(m): 10:28pm On Jul 21, 2015
You raised valid points over there Op.
The only opportunity to sell yourself is your application, but i don't know why people still blow their chances by not paying attention to little details.

Some mistakes in job applications:
- Copying others i.e. using the cc feature carelessly
- Not including your name on your cv. I know this is rare, but i once received a resume without a name and an email without resume, some peeps can be careless.
- Using unprofessional emails e.g. sexyme@blabla.com or cashman@blabla.com. While some recruiters might overlook this, others won't take it lightly. Let your email reflect your name.
- "Sent from my blackberry" signature. This is a no-no.

Finally, even when the advert is "simply" asking you to send your cv, sell yourself in few lines and always be professional. Gracias...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by Blessedgurl(f): 10:53pm On Jul 21, 2015
Very educative. La Read La Save.
Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by brainzdh(m): 11:43pm On Jul 21, 2015
Nice points you've raised, I've been in the position to review CVs for a big Multinational Company during my NYSC.

I agree that lots of people miss out on great opportunities due to laziness, even a simple 'sent from my Blackberry 10' can disqualify you.

It'll be more professional if you customise it to a brief info about yourself, maybe your name, phone number, and other contact details.

PS: But God factor can easily override all this rubbish wey I just write sha.

1 Like

Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by ogzille(m): 6:45am On Jul 22, 2015
wroskian:
You raised valid points over there Op.
The only opportunity to sell yourself is your application, but i don't know why people still blow their chances by not paying attention to little details.

Some mistakes in job applications:
- Copying others i.e. using the cc feature carelessly
- Not including your name on your cv. I know this is rare, but i once received a resume without a name and an email without resume, some peeps can be careless.
- Using unprofessional emails e.g. sexyme@blabla.com or cashman@blabla.com. While some recruiters might overlook this, others won't take it lightly. Let your email reflect your name.

Finally, even when the advert is "simply" asking you to send your cv, sell yourself in few lines and always be professional. Gracias...

It is unfortunate that many do not see it as marketing.
Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by mitchyy(f): 7:05am On Jul 22, 2015
Awesome!
Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by Saraha1(f): 8:57am On Jul 22, 2015
I need some clarification.
I do send my cv with my blackberry, but with what have read here , is it that I should stop using my bb to send cv to companies? Or there is alternative ,such that even when I send with my bb it will not indicate the source of where I sent from?
Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by ogzille(m): 9:38am On Jul 22, 2015
Saraha1:
I need some clarification.
I do send my cv with my blackberry, but with what have read here , is it that I should stop using my bb to send cv to companies? Or there is alternative ,such that even when I send with my bb it will not indicate the source of where I sent from?

You can send your CV with your Blackberry phone.
Simply edit the default signature that comes with the phone "Sent from Blackberry wireless".
You do not need to market Blackberry further. They are popular already. Replace with your full name, email and phone number.
Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by frankolett(m): 11:08am On Jul 22, 2015
Good point
Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by Saraha1(f): 11:19am On Jul 22, 2015
ogzille:

You can send your CV with your Blackberry phone.
Simply edit the default signature that comes with the phone "Sent from Blackberry wireless".
You do not need to market Blackberry further. They are popular already. Replace with your full name, email and phone number.

Pls how do I go about it(what the step )? I have no idea. Thanks
Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by Oluwadare: 12:33pm On Jul 22, 2015
see I'm getting tired of all these do don't do all in the name of looking for job.I mean, sometimes you will read that recruiters are too busy to go through whatever sugar-coated explanations you sent along your CV. Othertime , you will see these employers be saying I don't need this or that in your CV
Alright, as soon as you finished with that and you started adjusting your CV, you will be seeing another group of people called themselves CVs professional writers. My question is, are you going to add Master to the CV say someone with B.sc or what exactly? you can only advise on what to put first and last and I can get that on - net.
So, what is all these hush- hush all about exactly?
Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by ogzille(m): 2:13pm On Jul 22, 2015
Oluwadare:
see I'm getting tired of all these do don't do all in the name of looking for job.I mean, sometimes you will read that recruiters are too busy to go through whatever sugar-coated explanations you sent along your CV. Othertime , you will see these employers be saying I don't need this or that in your CV
Alright, as soon as you finished with that and you started adjusting your CV, you will be seeing another group of people called themselves CVs professional writers. My question is, are you going to add Master to the CV say someone with B.sc or what exactly? you can only advise on what to put first and last and I can get that on - net.
So, what is all these hush- hush all about exactly?

Self marketing is a continuous process. Pick what works for you and move on.

- Yes, recruiters are busy! Do you stop your job hunt as a result? Do you send a crappy CV and no cover letter as a result?
- When employers say they do not need some items on your CV, have you stopped to think if those items are relevant?
- Your CV should be adjusted each time you want to apply for a job as each job should be considered unique.
- Your choice to use professional CV writers does not render the job tips void.

All the best.

1 Like

Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jul 22, 2015
wroskian:

Come on please give me a break and picture the scenario below.

You are in transit from Lagos to Ibadan, a friend sends you a link to a vacancy and your laptop is far from you, securely tucked in your traveling bag which may be inconvenient for you to reach at the time.

Are you going to wait until you arrive Ibadan, settle in at your accommodations and apply for the job OR will you apply with your smartphone to eliminate delays and about 45 other resumes being submitted ahead of yours?

I agree with your points except this last one I think what would have been appropriate is to advice that folks delete the sent from my BlackBerry signature like someone else above me suggested
Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jul 22, 2015
Personally, I think people who have issues with applications sent via smartphones have bigger issues themselves.

Why? Because we live in a dynamic era where technology is making communication faster & easier. Even bank transactions can now be conducted securely on our smartphones without the need to go to the bank so why not job applications?

I have received job offer letters/employment contracts via email in PDF format with an option to either respond in writing via email by signing the contract, scanning and sending it back or by coming into the office in person to do so.

So I really don't see the biggie with job applications being made via smartphones. SMART and SENSIBLE recruiters ought to focus on the overall content of a candidate's application to see if a candidate has substance rather than dwelling on the fact that an application was sent via smartphone.

What then is the point of having data enabled smartphones? Abeg let us embrace positive & forward moving practices.

This plenty story was sent from my infinix smart phone and if it made any sense at all to anyone then I rest my case.
Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by Oluwadare: 5:32pm On Jul 22, 2015
ogzille:

Self marketing is a continuous process. Pick what works for you and move on.

- Yes, recruiters are busy! Do you stop your job hunt as a result? Do you send a crappy CV and no cover letter as a result?
- When employers say they do not need some items on your CV, have you stopped to think if those items are relevant?
- Your CV should be adjusted each time you want to apply for a job as each job should be considered unique.
- Your choice to use professional CV writers does not render the job tips void.

All the best.
self improvement and marketing can't be overemphasized, agreed. However, what I'm trying to expatiate is that all of do this, do that with your CV is now getting boring to someone like me.
Infact, I've resorted of going for a job that agrees absolutely with my experience and what I read at school. what is now so special in writing a cover letter and how to write my CV? I mean, everyone must have gone through that process in school, there's even an hand-out in GNS I expected every students to have bought and practice it.
If anyone needs further explanation on it, its a something anyone can get on net with hassle free.
NB: I concur not everyone will be thinking like me but I'm using this medium to tell all recruiters and CV professional designers to stop telling job-seekers too much DO DO and DO
As its now getting confusing to some and boring to some. My advise to job-seekers like me is always go for job you studied or have experience about.
Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by ogzille(m): 5:44pm On Jul 22, 2015
Oluwadare:
self improvement and marketing can't be overemphasized, agreed. However, what I'm trying to expatiate is that all of do this, do that with your CV is now getting boring to someone like me.
Infact, I've resorted of going for a job that agrees absolutely with my experience and what I read at school. what is now so special in writing a cover letter and how to write my CV? I mean, everyone must have gone through that process in school, there's even an hand-out in GNS I expected every students to have bought and practice it.
If anyone needs further explanation on it, its a something anyone can get on net with hassle free.
NB: I concur not everyone will be thinking like me but I'm using this medium to tell all recruiters and CV professional designers to stop telling job-seekers too much DO DO and DO
As its now getting confusing to some and boring to some. My advise to job-seekers like me is always go for job you studied or have experience about.

I understand your point of view.

Look at this:

We go to church and we are reminded of "same thing" everyday.

The truth is many do not know. Many know and choose not to implement because they may not see the importance. Some implemented initially and their morale dropped after a while.

Articles that portray real life experiences like this are designed to put one back on track.

You will be amazed how many people benefit from such posts.

Enjoy your evening!!
Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by wroskian(m): 5:45pm On Jul 22, 2015
sihom:

Come on please give me a break and picture the scenario below.

You are in transit from Lagos to Ibadan, a friend sends you a link to a vacancy and your laptop is far from you, securely tucked in your traveling bag which may be inconvenient for you to reach at the time.

Are you going to wait until you arrive Ibadan, settle in at your accommodations and apply for the job OR will you apply with your smartphone to eliminate delays and about 45 other resumes being submitted ahead of yours?

I agree with your points except this last one I think what would have been appropriate is to advice that folks delete the sent from my BlackBerry signature like someone else above me suggested
Mr Oga, read and digest that post again, i never said people shouldn't apply for jobs with their smartphones, i simply said the "Sent from my blackberry" signature is a no-no meaning it should be edited or deleted.
Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by OmniSparrow: 6:26pm On Jul 22, 2015
@Op Use your head nack wall there.
Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by Oluwadare: 6:45pm On Jul 22, 2015
ogzille:

I understand your point of view.

Look at this:

We go to church and we are reminded of "same thing" everyday.

The truth is many do not know. Many know and choose not to implement because they may not see the importance. Some implemented initially and their morale dropped after a while.

Articles that portray real life experiences like this are designed to put one back on track.

You will be amazed how many people benefit from such posts.

Enjoy your evening!!
I finally accept with you on the ground that many people are getting benefit from posts like this, and the church example you gave. Thank you have a good day.

1 Like

Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by Nobody: 10:35pm On Jul 22, 2015
wroskian:

Mr Oga, read and digest that post again, i never said people shouldn't apply for jobs with their smartphones, i simply said the "Sent from my blackberry" signature is a no-no meaning it should be edited or deleted.
ok can u show or give us details ow it can b edited or deleted
Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by Nobody: 8:50am On Jul 23, 2015
wroskian:

Oooh now I get, genuine apologies there was a misunderstanding on my part, that's what happens when you are eating & reading.

No vex ooo Ima binu
Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by ogzille(m): 10:14am On Jul 23, 2015
gommex:
ok can u show or give us details ow it can b edited or deleted

Saraha1:

Pls how do I go about it(what the step )? I have no idea. Thanks

Blackberry 10:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-edit-an-e-mail-signature-on-blackberry-10/

Others:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/32608/Add_a_signature_61_1441591_11.jsp

1 Like

Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by ogzille(m): 5:36pm On Jul 23, 2015
Re: 4 Lessons From My Ongoing Recruitment Exercise by Phikom(m): 6:08pm On Jul 23, 2015
quite educative!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is VLA Recruitment Agent Real???? / NRC: Pupil Health, Safety And Environmental Officers Applicants Come In Here! / Let Me Rewrite Your CV And Cover Letter Free For You (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.