Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,995 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:51 AM

Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East (21649 Views)

Opadokun, Yoruba Leaders Collected Dollars From Abiola’s Killers – Al-mustapha / FG Borrows N600bn Annually To Augment Staff Salaries, Says SGF / UAE Blocks Attempt By An Ex-gov To Transfer Half A Billion Dollars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by Nobody: 8:04am On Jul 22, 2015
The World Bank has unfolded a package which would see it spending up to $2.1 billion in rebuilding the badly devastated North-eastern part of Nigeria, ravaged for the past six years by the Boko Haram insurgency.

At a meeting in Washington today with representatives of the World Bank, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and the World Health Organization (WHO), President Buhari said apart from rebuilding the region in terms of infrastructure, priority must also be given to the resettlement of internally displaced persons (IDPs), who now number over one million.

He urged the World Bank to send a team, which would work in concert with a team from the Federal Government, so that a proper assessment of needs could be done.
The World Bank will spend the 2.1 billion dollars through its IDA (International Development Agency), which gives low interest rates loans to government. The first 10 years will be interest free, while an additional 30 years will be at lower than capital market rate.

The World Bank is eager to move in quickly, give out the loans, and give succour to the people of North-east, long at the mercy of an insurgency that has claimed over 20,000 souls.

WHO is also to invest 300 million dollars on immunization against malaria in Nigeria, while the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will collaborate with Dangote Foundation to ensure that the country maintains its zero polio case record of the past one year. If the effort is sustained for another two years, Nigeria will be declared fully free of polio.

FEMI ADESINA
SPECIAL ADVISER, MEDIA AND PUBLICITY
JULY 21, 2015
http://www.statehouse.gov.ng/index.php/news/1327-president-buhari-hails-world-bank-s-decision-to-spend-2-1-billion-in-rebuilding-north-east

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by Nobody: 8:06am On Jul 22, 2015
The same people who derided and criticized GEJ relentlessly for supposedly accumulating debt are borrowing left, right and centre

193 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by dejavski(m): 8:08am On Jul 22, 2015
Na wa oh
Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by PassingShot(m): 8:09am On Jul 22, 2015
This will kick start the battered economy of the NE if true.

The World Bank will spend the 2.1 billion dollars through its IDA (International Development Agency), which gives low interest rates loans to government. The first 10 years will be interest free, while an additional 30 years will be at lower than capital market rate.
If the emboldened is correct, it's far better than what normally obtains in the capital market.

18 Likes

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by kodded(m): 8:10am On Jul 22, 2015

this buhari get sense at all ?

Tackle boko haram first before thinking of rebuilding any where, who will stay in a place where bomb is their daily bread ? undecided

164 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by fulanimafia: 8:11am On Jul 22, 2015
SenseiX:
The same people who derided and criticized GEJ relentlessly for supposedly accumulating debt are borrowing left, right and centre

Did you read the terms of the loan? Interest will not be paid till after ten years and repayment which will be spread over 30 years, will be at a lower interest rate than usual.

What you should be concerned about are the efforts that are being made to grow the economy so we do not feel the pinch when repayment commences eventually.

SenseiX:

The loan terms are typical of all World Bank and IMO loans and I have no qualms with it, I actually think the loans are a good idea if judiciously used...My grouse is with the hypocrisy of it all, considering the way the APC vehemently opposed and criticized these same World Bank loans with similar terms and conditions when NOI was finance Minister

The underlying justification of any loan is purpose.

Jonathan in March this year borrowed another $2 billion under the guise of strengthening our currency after spending over $4 billion on his Presidential campaign. Who in his right senses will not condemn such senseless misplacement of priorities?

Contrast that with PMB that is borrowing to rebuild the devastated NE and restoring a semblance of hope for Nigerians caught in the war. You're comparing apples and oranges.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by Nobody: 8:15am On Jul 22, 2015
fulanimafia:

Did you read the terms of the loan? Interest will not be paid till after ten years and at a lower rate than usual.

What you should be concerned about are the efforts that are being made to grow the economy so we do not feel the pinch when repayment commences eventually.
The loan terms are typical of all World Bank and IMO loans and I have no qualms with it, I actually think the loans are a good idea if judiciously used...My grouse is with the hypocrisy of it all, considering the way the APC vehemently opposed and criticized these same World Bank loans with similar terms and conditions when NOI was finance Minister

89 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by tola9ja: 8:17am On Jul 22, 2015
Am very sure the money will not be embezzle unlike the former government

11 Likes

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by generaliy07(m): 8:17am On Jul 22, 2015
May God help us, Nigeria will be great again
Make una see something below

"Ballotelli it was who would wake us up around 4:30 each day, he once scared me out of my bed, while I was having a sweet dream, I was dreaming about getting married to a girl I had always admired, at a point in the dream, the
Pastor said to me,”you may now kiss your bride”, I leapt forward to do that which I’d long awaited only for Ballotelli to put his gun boot near my head with a loud scream, I woke up kissing his
dirty gun boot instead of the sweet lips of the sister!...

Read more

https://samueliyanu./2015/07/21/the-chronicles-of-corper-sam/
Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by tola9ja: 8:17am On Jul 22, 2015
To
Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by LatestTrend: 8:18am On Jul 22, 2015
wink
Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by Nobody: 8:18am On Jul 22, 2015
So long the destroyers still linger.....

its just a matter of time, the rebuilt empires will be crushed and bombed down to bits..

and at the end MONEY IS WASTED!! undecided

24 Likes

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by tollytexy(m): 8:18am On Jul 22, 2015
We just dey hear the money.. we no dey see changes

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by switstiv(m): 8:18am On Jul 22, 2015
let's hope dis yield a good result
Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by KAYNINI(m): 8:18am On Jul 22, 2015
And the borrowing session starts

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by Bsc(m): 8:18am On Jul 22, 2015
Change
Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by dridowu: 8:18am On Jul 22, 2015
Rebuilding the North East is good but the main issue is judicious use of the money. The most important thing again is re-orientation of our fellow brothers and sisters living there.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by Nobody: 8:19am On Jul 22, 2015
This matter get as e be ooo......

1 Like

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by Ekhemini(m): 8:19am On Jul 22, 2015
They should not rebuild it now o because boko boys are in d form of their life. Nice move though.
Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by DankemzI(m): 8:19am On Jul 22, 2015
See this people o!
Them never stop Boko Haram Dem don start rebuilding
They Rebuild Boko Haram it!
**am not hating **
But I hope the loan & interest won't be repayed with our Oyel Money

15 Likes

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by coolestrogue(m): 8:19am On Jul 22, 2015
They killed their people all because of this.

7 Likes

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by Nobody: 8:20am On Jul 22, 2015
smiley
Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by Nobody: 8:20am On Jul 22, 2015
Dulllardinho taking loans like someone who is suffering from cow flu!

9 Likes

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by mencade5(m): 8:20am On Jul 22, 2015
na boko haram amnesty money be that o

chaiiiiii.....baba one chance

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by idupaul: 8:20am On Jul 22, 2015
Yet to see a Govt that doesn't borrow..

1 Like

Don't feel bad for his actions.
You guys voted for him.
Enjoy your change while it last.

31 Likes

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by LordCenturion(m): 8:20am On Jul 22, 2015
GOD bless PMB, long life president of the people, may your time bring rain of peace into our country..

Muhammadu Buhari, the president of most populous black country In Africa, the bringer of rain, the slayer of GEJ.

In other news, the wailing wailer be like

6 Likes

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by tola9ja: 8:20am On Jul 22, 2015
fulanimafia:

Did you read the terms of the loan? Interest will not be paid till after ten years and repayment which will be spread over 30 years, will be at a lower interest rate than usual.

God bless you manage this

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by Jessewizy(m): 8:20am On Jul 22, 2015
Hypocrites

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by Unsad(m): 8:20am On Jul 22, 2015
goodluck
Re: Buhari Borrows 2.1 Billion Dollars From World Bank To Rebuild North East by Nobody: 8:21am On Jul 22, 2015
FP of life

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

President Muhammadu Buhari, The Service Chiefs Are Meeting Now / Atiku: Why I Asked Bulkachuwa To Withdraw From Presidential Election Tribunal / Nigerian Army Engaged A Boko Haram Member In A Gun Battle For Over 4 Hours.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.