Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,637 members, 7,801,843 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:44 AM

Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency (40846 Views)

Corruption: BUHARI gives EFCC Go Ahead to Probe JONATHAN / Why We Can’t Recover Funds Looted By Alison-madueke, Others — Presidency / Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency by dadaojames(m): 7:16am On Jul 23, 2015
President Muhammadu Buhari will not extend his corruption probe beyond the administration of former President Goodluck Jonathan, the presidency has said.

Mr. Buhari, who is currently on official visit to the United States, has consistently vowed to investigate and bring to book, persons who looted the country’s funds.

The president said on Tuesday he will arrest and prosecute past ministers and other officials who stole Nigeria’s oil and diverted government’s money to personal accounts.

But the Special Adviser on Media and Public Affairs to Mr. Buhari, Femi Adesina, said the president will limit his anti-corruption war to the immediate past administration in the country.

He said Mr. Buhari will not waste time in probing the administrations of former President Olusegun Obasanjo, Abdulsalam Abubakar, Sani Abacha and Ibrahim Babangida.

He said even before he was sworn in to office on May 29, the president had categorically stated that he would not extend his corruption probe beyond the Jonathan government.

“If you recall, that was already settled before he got inaugurated as president. He has said he will not waste time digging into the far past,” Mr. Adesina said.

“The far past will includes Obasanjo and others. But the president has said he will not waste time to go that far.”

Before leaving office, Mr. Jonathan had said any probe by the new government would be seen as a “witch hunt” if it fails to go beyond his administration.

Speaking on criticisms over President Buhari’s decision to travel to the U.S. with his son, Yusuf, the presidential spokesperson said Mr. Buhari did not breach any rule.

He said it was a normal practice for presidents to travel with members of their families, citing the example of American presidents who travel abroad with their wives and children.

“There is absolutely nothing wrong with the president travelling with one of his sons. It is an acceptable and standard practice. He could go with up to four members of his family.

“Don’t forget that when former President Bill Clinton visited Nigeria while he was in office, he came with his daughter, Chelsea.

“President Barak Obama travels with his children and so the President of Nigeria can travel out with three or four of his children. Late President Umaru Yar’Adua used to travel with two of his sons and one of his grandchildren,” he said.

Mr. Adesina described the outcome of the president’s official visit to the US as “a roaring success on every side.”

“There are good returns. It is an investment that will yield very handsome returns.”

www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/187120-buhari-will-probe-jonathans-govt-only-not-obasanjos-others-presidency.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency by DankemzI(m): 7:17am On Jul 23, 2015
Some please tell INTROVERT am sorry grin grin some people retired to let fresh bloods into the system via promotion!

This will amount to the Minority being hunted.......
Wetin GEJ steal sef No be him Ministers?
If truly Buhari is serious about is fighting corruption he should start by carrying the all the region"SESS" along In appointments, then backdate his kworuption wrestling to the days of Abacha......
If not I'll sell all my possessions in support for the actualization of Biafra though not under Nnamdi

**** Rubbish ****
All of them looting our country dry sending their children to the best of schools abroad, Common bursary they can't pay, incessant strikes! Their children years later coming back to lord over us
Infact am tired of this country!
Meanwhile Buhari please I use God/Allah name beg you, even if you want to forgive Stella Oduah please don't forget my ex Governor Akpabio that man has licked Akwa Ibom dry

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency by zeal22(m): 7:17am On Jul 23, 2015
The guy above me is using 15G network!

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency by midolian(m): 7:19am On Jul 23, 2015
Call it witch-hunting, baba don't bloody care. No one stopped jonathan from probing obasanjo's, and obasanjo from probing Abdulsalam's. They chose not to, probably because they see Nigeria as a "come and chop" restaurant.

221 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency by Nobody: 7:20am On Jul 23, 2015
I have carefully analysed recent events and taken time to study a lot of what happened before during and after the Biafran war.

The truth is that if the Igbos succeed in pulling out of Nigeria, the Niger Delta might not completely be part of the new country but they will definitely also seek to be on their own and manage their resources. This would effectively leave only the SW and the North in Nigeria. If it turns out this way, the Yorubas most likely would also gently ask to be left to be on their own. At the end of it all, we go our separate ways.

Let me quickly add here that Igbo land is much bigger than the Nigerian politically defined SE. Should Nigeria break today, all Igbo-speaking parts of the SS will be part of our new country. The Igbos will force no tribe to be part of us, we will accept those that want to stay with us and those that don't want to be with us will be free to stand on their own or join any other groups they so wish. I am saying this loud and clear so that some people will not come here and start shouting, "We are not part of your Biafra, leave us alone, leave our oil alone."

The Igbos can do very well without oil. There are many countries in the world without oil and are doing very fine. Germany is the most powerful economy in Europe today and they don't have a cup of crude oil there. Israel moved into a desert and converted it into a country very comfortable for habitation. The list is endless. Recent trends have also shown that oil is becoming worthless by the day. What really matters for a nation to be great is the quality of human resources available.

For the parts of the SS that would choose to be part of the new country, we can accept to run a regional system of government between the core Igbo states and parts of the Niger Delta. We can even accept a solution such that both regions would take 80% of revenue accrued within the regions and contribute 20% to the center. This the Niger Delta can never get in this present Nigeria.

For those people from the SS always shouting leave our oyel, I want to tell you that the Northerners are already drinking your oil and have even become drunk on it. You are shouting at Igbos to leave your oyel whereas Northerners are taking the same oil from under your nose and you can do nothing. How myopic and sentimental can some people be?

On a closing note, I believe in one Nigeria but one where there is justice, fairness & equity. For me, Buhari should hand over to an Igbo man if Igbos are truly part of Nigeria. We are part of the big three and too big to be ignored.

228 Likes 33 Shares

Re: Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency by TRADELYN: 7:25am On Jul 23, 2015
@Eurobomber,

@Siggy...
How you expect GOD to bless Nigeria when you are preaching division? undecided

"The first enemy of man is greed." - TRADELYN

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency by Flets: 7:26am On Jul 23, 2015
Then I can comfortably tell Buhari that his government have outrightly failed if this news is true.

I've come to agree that politicians have over estimated the gullibility of Nigeria.

119 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency by Emekamex(m): 7:30am On Jul 23, 2015
This won't fight corruption one bit. You can't fill up a 6feet hole by just pouring two buckets of sand; the endemic cause of corruption is that they are so many fellows that can buy their way out of trouble due to the money they have stolen from the treasury since 1960; and which they have not been probed for since then.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency by Nobody: 7:32am On Jul 23, 2015
midolian:
Call it witch-hunting, baba don't bloody care. No one stopped jonathan from probing obasanjo's, and obasanjo from probing Abdulsalam's. They chose not to, probably because they see Nigeria as a "come and chop" restaurant.
Same way Jonathan don't care!

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency by Nobody: 7:34am On Jul 23, 2015
Like they do anything with the probe? We all know APC has no guts! The north should focus o because anarchy dey for air o!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency by midolian(m): 7:38am On Jul 23, 2015
jcmaiah:

Same way Jonathan don't care!
by the time this lands him in ekwulobia prisons, you ll learn to sing a different song.

34 Likes

Re: Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency by Ivanspring(f): 7:42am On Jul 23, 2015
Nobody is stopping Buhari from probing the past administration. The issue is that let wisdom and due process guide him. That's all.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency by Utchgirl(f): 7:44am On Jul 23, 2015
PMB does nt want 2 extend his hands 2 d far past administrations because he knw it wil definately touch his special adviser - Obj and most of his northern brodas.

Probe GEJ and those dt work under him ,no prblm bt make sure u r doing dt witout fear or favour.

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency by AshiwajuFoward: 7:48am On Jul 23, 2015
EUROBOMBER:
I have carefully analysed recent events and taken time to study a lot of what happened before during and after the Biafran war.

The truth is that if the Igbos succeed in pulling out of Nigeria, the Niger Delta might not completely be part of the new country but they will definitely also seek to be on their own and manage their resources. This would effectively leave only the SW and the North in Nigeria. If it turns out this way, the Yorubas most likely would also gently ask to be left to be on their own. At the end of it all, we go our separate ways.

Let me quickly add here that Igbo land is much bigger than the Nigerian politically defined SE. Should Nigeria break today, all Igbo-speaking parts of the SS will be part of our new country. The Igbos will force no tribe to be part of us, we will accept those that want to stay with us and those that don't want to be with us will be free to stand on their own or join any other groups they so wish. I am saying this loud and clear so that some people will not come here and start shouting, "We are not part of your Biafra, leave us alone, leave our oil alone."

The Igbos can do very well without oil. There are many countries in the world without oil and are doing very fine. Germany is the most powerful economy in Europe today and they don't have a cup of crude oil there. Israel moved into a desert and converted it into a country very comfortable for habitation. The list is endless. Recent trends have also shown that oil is becoming worthless by the day. What really matters for a nation to be great is the quality of human resources available.

For the parts of the SS that would choose to be part of the new country, we can accept to run a regional system of government between the core Igbo states and parts of the Niger Delta. We can even accept a solution such that both regions would take 80% of revenue accrued within the regions and contribute 20% to the center. This the Niger Delta can never get in this present Nigeria.

For those people from the SS always shouting leave our oyel, I want to tell you that the Northerners are already drinking your oil and have even become drunk on it. You are shouting at Igbos to leave your oyel whereas Northerners are taking the same oil from under your nose and you can do nothing. How myopic and sentimental can some people be?

On a closing note, I believe in one Nigeria but one where there is justice, fairness & equity. For me, Buhari should hand over to an Igbo man if Igbos are truly part of Nigeria. We are part of the big three and too big to be ignored.

Bro, you fall my hand. Wetin consign this your speech with this thread topic?

74 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency by ephemm(m): 7:52am On Jul 23, 2015
This story s targeted at drawing sympathy towards GEJ and his administration.
PMB said, he belongs to nobody;
he also said a few days ago on CNN while speaking with Amanpour that he will fight against corruption even if his party members are involved.

Your story is baseless.

And as for Eurobomber, I am Yoruba & I love Nigeria as a country and I will love to see a typical Igbo man as the next President of Nigeria, but I fear the Igbo man will be impeached easily, checkout when Senate presidency was zoned to SE between 1999 & 2007, how many senate president did we get?

18 Likes

Re: Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency by Wildrage: 7:52am On Jul 23, 2015
Who is he to put a statute of limitation on crimes against the state? He must think he is still a maximum ruler when his whims were law. You want to probe the regime of the only minority leader from the south south to have ever ruled Nigeria and you think it would bode well for our fragile unity? Kuntinu

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency by Nobody: 8:01am On Jul 23, 2015
EUROBOMBER:

Buhari can not handover to Igbo man, because most Igbo are not APC. The only man that is in APC d Igbo's hate him and u people don't want him as President. Okorocha

26 Likes

Re: Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency by Utchgirl(f): 8:08am On Jul 23, 2015
ephemm:
This story s targeted at drawing sympathy towards GEJ and his administration.
PMB said, he belongs to nobody;
he also said a few days ago on CNN while speaking with Amanpour that he will fight against corruption even if his party members are involved.

Your story is baseless.

And u tink he is living up 2 dt his '' i belong 2 everybody and i belong 2 nobody'' ?
Why is he nt stretching his probe 2 d far pasts adminstration ?
Why is he probing only GEJ and those dt work under him ?
Why is he of recent appointing only northners ?

''I belong 2 eveybody'' indeed. Seems dis is going 2 be a regional govt. We r watching.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency by Nobody: 8:21am On Jul 23, 2015
midolian:
by the time this lands him in ekwulobia prisons, you ll learn to sing a different song.
In your wide dreams! you think bubu is capable of that?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency by NwaAnambra(m): 8:21am On Jul 23, 2015
Buhari must probe The Obasanjo and Yaradua administrations!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency by StOla: 8:32am On Jul 23, 2015
Jonathan already gave a pass mark to previous regimes as he did not see any reason to probe them.

No need to repeat what Jonathan must have already done and was satisfied with.

Buhari should concentrate on what was handed over to him - which is the record of Jonathan's administration.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency by StOla: 8:34am On Jul 23, 2015
NwaAnambra:
Buhari must probe The Obasanjo and Yaradua administrations!

Do you admit now that Jonathan was an irresponsible president?

Why are you debating about regimes that Jonathan already approved of their actions and records he took over?

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency by baralatie(m): 8:36am On Jul 23, 2015
Emekamex:
This won't fight corruption one bit. You can't fill up a 6feet whole by just pouring two buckets of sand; the endemic cause of corruption is that they are so many fellows that can buy their way out of trouble due to the money they have stolen from the treasury since 1960; and which they have not been probed for since then.
correct sir!
Re: Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency by StOla: 8:45am On Jul 23, 2015
EUROBOMBER:

Would Buhari proceed to Onitsha market to look for an Igbo man to hand over to? Or is it no longer the winner of a presidential election that incumbent hand over to?

Now that I've defined who can be handed over to, what are Igbos doing to get votes in other regions of the country, since the SE alone cannot elect a majority winner?

Is it by marketing hate all over the country and denigrating the very people whose votes can actualise the Igbo presidency?

Is it by labelling every Igbo politician who is smart enough not to be an ethnic local champion as a traitor?

Is it by your established notoriety as the "my brother" nepotists that will reassure Nigerians that the Igbo are politically enlightened enough to rule a heterogeneous society?

45 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency by Afrocatalyst: 9:00am On Jul 23, 2015
Witch-hunting

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency by Nobody: 9:00am On Jul 23, 2015
Normal

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency by butanepro(m): 9:01am On Jul 23, 2015
Wailing wailers , food Don boku here ooooo

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency by Nobody: 9:01am On Jul 23, 2015
Rubbish Rubbish

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency by Sicozone(m): 9:01am On Jul 23, 2015
He's well justified if he does.......Whatever happened to GEJ's stealing brains that made him not probe his immediate past head of state is not PMB's problem.....

12 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Melaye: Magu Can NOT Be EFCC Chairman, His Mates Are Area Commanders And Dpos / Throwback Photo Of President Buhari Eating As A Soldier / Fulani Herdsmen Kill Pastor And His Two Workers During Attack In Edo (graphic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.