Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,577 members, 7,801,652 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:32 PM

Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant (2567 Views)

Ooni Of Ife’s Marriage Allegedly Crashes, Wife Accused Of ‘unpublishable’ Things / Ooni Ogunwusi Gives Speech At Pennsylvania Parliament (Pics) / O (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by anonymous6(f): 3:24pm On Jul 23, 2015
Miss Black Pennsylvania's call for contestants caused a debate among Patch readers, with some saying the event is racist.

[b]A pageant’s recent call for black contestants in Pennsylvania has prompted a firestorm of feedback that the event is “racist” against whites.

Numerous Patch sites in Pennsylvania posted a story Tuesday that the Miss Black Pennsylvania USA organization is currently seeking contestants for its annual pageant.

The story sparked a debate among readers, with some saying the event, which has been going on since 1986, is racist.

Some readers said the event was flat out racist and suggested the creation of a “Miss White Pennsylvania” pageant.

“A Miss White Pennsylvania pageant would be shut down for being racist,” wrote one reader on Lansdale Patch’s Facebook page in response to the article.

“Please give me more information on this pageant’s counterpart, Miss White Pennsylvania,” another reader wrote.

Others said segregation in any form is a step backwards.

“There shouldn’t be a white or black miss Pennsylvania pageant. Why are people trying to segregate our state? The existing miss Pennsylvania pageant has no race restrictions on who enters. This seems like a step backwards for unifying our people,” a Lansdale Patch reader said on Facebook.

Yet some readers were quick to put the pageant into historical perspective.

“Our entire race was not restricted from basic human rights for over a century and we’re pissed off because black people have had a disadvantage in almost every aspect of life and are seeking to build themselves up. Some white folk need to get with the program and realize that most of their parents were the ones that restricted blacks from entering a single one of these white pageants until the early 70s,” a user responded via Lansdale Patch Facebook.

Winners of the Miss Black Pennsylvania pageant will go on to compete in the Miss Black USA 2016 Pageant.

According to the organizers, the mission of the Miss Black USA Pageant is “to provide educational opportunities to outstanding young women of color and to develop the whole woman – mind, body, and spirit.”

Since 1986, the Miss Black USA Pageant has provided winners with scholarship money, international travel opportunities, modeling contracts and leadership development, the organization said[/b].
http://patch.com/pennsylvania/lansdale/call-black-contestants-ignites-debate-over-racist-pageant
http://www.missblackpennsylvaniausa.org/
Re: Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by Afam4eva(m): 6:38pm On Jul 23, 2015
That racist show should be stopped by all means. lol.

1 Like

Re: Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by anonymous6(f): 7:10pm On Jul 23, 2015
Afam4eva:
That racist show should be stopped by all means. lol.

yup its funny, I feel black pageants should continue and even be bigger worldwide

2 Likes

Re: Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by Afam4eva(m): 7:47pm On Jul 23, 2015
anonymous6:

yup its funny, I feel black pageants should continue and even be bigger worldwide
What about White pageants?
Re: Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by tpiadotcom: 8:08pm On Jul 23, 2015
Re: Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by anonymous6(f): 8:39pm On Jul 23, 2015
Afam4eva:

What about White pageants?

don't they exist already
Re: Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by Afam4eva(m): 8:45pm On Jul 23, 2015
anonymous6:

don't they exist already
No, they don't. You can point me to anyone you know.
Re: Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by macof(m): 12:20am On Jul 24, 2015
Silly white folks

3 Likes

Re: Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by anonymous6(f): 12:55am On Jul 24, 2015
Re: Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by Afam4eva(m): 7:46am On Jul 24, 2015
anonymous6:

http://prejudiceanddiscrimination.com/why-blacks-have-black-beauty-pageants/
But blacks are allowed to contest in those pageants and have won in some occasions.
Re: Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by makahlj2: 3:01pm On Jul 24, 2015
Afam4eva:

No, they don't. You can point me to anyone you know.
I've seen one, for the prettiest female member of Stormfront.
Re: Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by anonymous6(f): 5:03pm On Jul 24, 2015
Afam4eva:

But blacks are allowed to contest in those pageants and have won in some occasions.

Yea but overly under-represented though
Re: Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by Afam4eva(m): 6:43pm On Jul 24, 2015
anonymous6:

Yea but overly under-represented though
I know there's still some form of racism but let's not lose sight of the fact that blacks represent just 13% of the US population. It's not like they're a majority that should be felt all the time.

1 Like

Re: Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by anonymous6(f): 7:17pm On Jul 24, 2015
Afam4eva:

I know there's still some form of racism but let's not lose sight of the fact that blacks represent just 13% of the US population. It's not like they're a majority that should be felt all the time.

I understand what you are saying but I think because of what african American women have went through and what they still go through in America when it comes to social and beauty image which is not positive but better from decades ago however far from perfect. so I think they do it to uplift african American women and girls to a extent
Re: Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by Afam4eva(m): 8:11pm On Jul 24, 2015
anonymous6:

I understand what you are saying but I think because of what african American women have went through and what they still go through in America when it comes to social and beauty image which is not positive but better from decades ago however far from perfect. so I think they do it to uplift African American women and girls to a extent
I understand why they do it and i really have no qualms about it. I'm only disturbed by the double standard and as much as i believe that the white people have done a lot of harm to people of color all over the world, i think there should be a level playing field of some sort by people of all races. If there is an issue with white people having an organization then same thing should be applied to black organizations. It all depends on what these organization are created for. It it's to celebrate the uniqueness of each race then fine my me but if it's to encourage some form of superiority then i'm not a fan. We always seem to overflog what the white people have done to us but we seem to forget that it's the same white people that abolished most of the things they were known for.
Re: Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by anonymous6(f): 10:15pm On Jul 24, 2015
Afam4eva:

I understand why they do it and i really have no qualms about it. I'm only disturbed by the double standard and as much as i believe that the white people have done a lot of harm to people of color all over the world, i think there should be a level playing field of some sort by people of all races. If there is an issue with white people having an organization then same thing should be applied to black organizations. It all depends on what these organization are created for. It it's to celebrate the uniqueness of each race then fine my me but if it's to encourage some form of superiority then i'm not a fan. We always seem to overflog what the white people have done to us but we seem to forget that it's the same white people that abolished most of the things they were known for.

Yea true, the thing about beauty pageants is it was never equal between the races which is sad and still lingering today. that's why this world and the society in America is complex and very messy only God knows when everybody will be respected equally
Re: Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by Nobody: 7:26am On Aug 09, 2015
anonymous6
Sorry to unearth this old thread...

There is nothing racist about a Black Miss Pennsylvania pageant just like there's nothing racist about the BET awards. Anyone who thinks otherwise is confused. There are numerous places to get an explanation from I hate having conversations like that.

Worst thing is when black people themselves say sh*t like that. Double standard my foot. There should even be more things for "only" black people.

OP do you live in the U.S.

1 Like

Re: Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by Afam4eva(m): 8:53am On Aug 09, 2015
MrsPhyno:
anonymous6

There is nothing racist about a Black Miss Pennsylvania pageant just like there's nothing racist about the BET awards. Anyone who thinks otherwise is confused. There are numerous places to get an explanation from I hate having conversations like that.

Worst thing is when black people themselves say sh*t like that. Double standard my foot. There should even be more things for "only" black people.

Do you also think there should be one for specifically white people.?
Re: Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by Nobody: 8:58am On Aug 09, 2015
Afam4eva:

Do you also think there should be one for specifically white people.?
Do you think there should be White Entertainment Television? Like a white version of BET?
Re: Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by Afam4eva(m): 9:00am On Aug 09, 2015
MrsPhyno:

Do you think there should be White Entertainment Television? Like a white version of BET?
What is good for the goose is good for the gander. If its right to have BET then what is wrong in having WET?

1 Like

Re: Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by Nobody: 9:04am On Aug 09, 2015
Afam4eva:

What is good for the goose is good for the gander. If its right to have BET then what is wrong in having WET?
My dear so is that a yes? There should be a WET?
Re: Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by Afam4eva(m): 9:05am On Aug 09, 2015
MrsPhyno:

My dear so is that a yes? There should be a WET?
I'm waiting for an answer to the question I posed. And my answer is an IF statement.
Re: Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by Nobody: 9:07am On Aug 09, 2015
Afam4eva:

I'm waiting for an answer to the question I posed. And my answer is a. IF statement.
Lol answer me first na.

Okay here's my answer. There in no way should be one specifically for white people.

Now please answer
Re: Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by Afam4eva(m): 9:16am On Aug 09, 2015
MrsPhyno:

Lol answer me first na.

Okay here's my answer. There in no way should be one specifically for white people.

Now please answer
But there should be one for black people? That's not fair. I believe in fairness.

Answering your question is tricky. I guess the more suppressed group deserves to give themselves a little push. I don't know what a WET will be like.

1 Like

Re: Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by Nobody: 9:22am On Aug 09, 2015
Afam4eva:

But there should be one for black people? That's not fair. I believe in fairness.

Answering your question is tricky. I guess the more suppressed group deserves to give themselves a little push. I don't know what a WET will be like.
Oh so you even know that they're a more suppressed group. So what fairness exactly are we talking about. Uplifting a supressed group is not favouritism. That's equality.

Just the way you understand that a WET sounds ludicrous meanwhile BET seems fair. Get that a Black Miss Pennsylvania does not mean a White Miss Pennsylvania is right. You know in your heart that it's not. wink

I don tire to right essay o abeg just believe me

1 Like

Re: Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by Nobody: 9:28am On Aug 09, 2015
This isn't a goose-and-gander scenario. Mainstream American media, etc, are already predominantly white. They do not need special us-only organizations (like NAACP) or media houses (like BET) to feel relevant or visible.

Minorities still do.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by PreciousBro: 10:33am On Aug 09, 2015
Why do the blacks feel they have to breathe the "air" of relevance as though they aren't already by default relevant ? Inferiority complex if you'd ask me....

This is what I want blacks to understand,the mainstream organisation that are already "white"established and predominantly theirs(politically or not) shouldn't make blacks want/need to uphold an organisation exclusively to their race,...it'll mean following their(white) steps,being slaves to them and eternally second-fiddle to whites. mainstream bodies that are white dominated is testament to the fact that,blacks are minorities and we don't have to cry racism when our quest for establishing Organisations that are black exclusive thereby side-lining white race in it self is racism. Or do they have exclusive white programs and systems that blacks aren't remotely part of ?

After all, blacks still participate in the so called mainstream "white" predominant org.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by anonymous6(f): 2:53pm On Aug 09, 2015
MrsPhyno:
anonymous6

I don't think the pageant is racist to be honest and that includes BET cause of the history of America when it comes to race. So racial pageants, BET, Telemundo and etc were inevitably bound to happen, so people shouldn't really complain in the end of the day, thats why America is the most complex in the world when it comes to race.

yes I was born and raised in America

1 Like

Re: Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by anonymous6(f): 3:06pm On Aug 09, 2015
PreciousBro:
Why do the blacks feel they have to breathe the "air" of relevance as though they aren't already by default relevant ? Inferiority complex if you'd ask me....

This is what I want blacks to understand,the mainstream organisation that are already "white"established and predominantly theirs(politically or not) shouldn't make blacks want/need to uphold an organisation exclusively to their race,...it'll mean following their(white) steps,being slaves to them and eternally second-fiddle to whites. mainstream bodies that are white dominated is testament to the fact that,blacks are minorities and we don't have to cry racism when our quest for establishing Organisations that are black exclusive thereby side-lining white race in it self is racism. Or do they have exclusive white programs and systems that blacks aren't remotely part of ?

After all, blacks still participate in the so called mainstream "white" predominant org.

I think what you bring up has some points but in America it is complex especially when it comes to things such as beauty pageants among the races. As you said the majority rules most things so they really don't need to have things exclusively for themselves, its the minoritties that are affected and thats why things like this spring up to be honest so in the end of the day there is no right or wrong.

Look at England for example they have a Miss Britain but black british women are not represented that you have beauty pageants like:
Miss Black Africa UK
http://www.missblackafrica.com/
Miss Caribbean UK
http://www.misscaribbeanuk.com/

Any way the UK is a different story to a extent cause its a european country as opposed to America where the country originally belong to the Native Americans so other races don't have original claim to the land.
Re: Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by anonymous6(f): 3:15pm On Aug 09, 2015
Radoillo:
This isn't a goose-and-gander scenario. Mainstream American media, etc, are already predominantly white. They do not need special us-only organizations (like NAACP) or media houses (like BET) to feel relevant or visible.

Minorities still do.

Exactly
Re: Miss Black Pennsylvania accused of being a racist pageant by Nobody: 3:39pm On Aug 09, 2015
There's also Miss Asian America, Miss Hispanic America and probably a bunch of other ethnic-minority-based pageants. I wonder if people are calling that racist too, or are just bothered about African-Americans.

This thread reminds me of something a sensible white guy said about the people calling the 'Black Lives Matter' Movement racist. These people had been saying that 'Black Lives Matter' implies that White lives don't matter; that the appropriate tag should have been 'Black Lives Matter, Too'.

The (sensible) white guy's reply was, "Be thankful that you don't even need a 'White Lives Matter' Movement."

Whites should be thankful that they do not need an NAACP, a BET, a Miss White America pageant, and such.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

East Dr Congo / 21 Questions Every Youth Must Answer+(12 Principles Of Choosing Marriage Partner / E Ba Oloye Olusegun Aremu Obasanjo Soro.o To Geeee.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.