Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,979 members, 7,806,857 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:35 AM

Do We Actually Control Whether Or Not We Are Religious? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do We Actually Control Whether Or Not We Are Religious? (763 Views)

You Are Religious Skeptics, Not Atheists? / Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? / Global Study Shows Many Scientists Are Religious,dispellling Conflict As Myth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do We Actually Control Whether Or Not We Are Religious? by onetrack(m): 9:57pm On Jul 23, 2015
In my opinion we don't control whether or not we are religious (or believe in god) as much as we think we do. It's more a function of our genes and our upbringing that brings us to the point where we are in terms of our religious beliefs.

Let me break this down a bit. I believe that some people, just by their genetic make-up, are more inclined to be skeptical than other people. This is part of the personality trait called 'agreeableness'. Some people are also more curious than others and want to know how things really work. These people are more likely to be non-religious than other people. In a world where religion would not be forced upon them, they would likely not adopt any religious creed and would be skeptical about the existence of god(s).

However, environment (cultural setting and education) also shapes a person's approach to religion. This needs little explanation as most people adopt the religious beliefs of their parents. Education plays a role as well: someone who wonders about their religion but who has no exposure to other ways of thinking might simply remain within that religion the whole of their lives, even if they are by nature quite skeptical and willing to challenge tradition. However, we see that some people who are raised religious but who then start to research other ways of thinking begin to challenge these beliefs and may then abandon them. Other people, who are less skeptical by nature, might simply choose to ignore other ways of thinking because they prefer not to challenge their own beliefs.

To sum up, I don't really think we control whether or not we believe in religion or god as much as we think we do. In the absence of cultural influence, some people will tend to be religious by nature and some people will tend not to be religious by nature, and culture and education may influence those who are somewhere in the middle as to whether or not they will be religious.

I don't believe that any country could truly claim to be 98% religious (like Nigeria). I'd bet at least 20% of the world population is not genetically inclined to be religious and would drop it like a hot potato if there was no societal pressure, and another significant percent would drop religion if they were sufficiently exposed to critical thinking and information about different beliefs. On the other hand, there will always be a part of the population that will be religious even if religious beliefs are suppressed (like in the Soviet Union).

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do We Actually Control Whether Or Not We Are Religious? by Dekatron(m): 10:50pm On Jul 23, 2015
Since i was a kid, even when i haven't become an atheist, i NEVER RELIED ON JEHOVAH. I get pissed off at praying instead of thinking. Since i finally made up my mind, i feel at peace and i do things from logical and social view.

I think the surroundings you grew up will shape you & you can force yourself to believe, but if you are naturally a curious being, you will break free.
I can't say maybe or maybe not. Its complex and non-generic
Re: Do We Actually Control Whether Or Not We Are Religious? by Nobody: 6:03am On Jul 24, 2015
Only the curious minds can break the barrier of Time,go to the moon,search for other planet and realize there was never a god.
Re: Do We Actually Control Whether Or Not We Are Religious? by Nobody: 6:42am On Jul 24, 2015
Good morning friends,

Well, the basis of religion has always been fear, and not faith as acclaimed by religionists.
fear of hell fire, fear of god's anger/wrath, fear of demons/satan, etc.
right from infantile indoctrination there always have been terrible punishments/repercussions in religious teachings, that await those who do not accept or believe the god of religions and their teachings.
people grow up with the mental notion that if they disobey or disbelieve religion they would suffer those punishments.

however, the notion seems to metamorphosize in adulthood (amongst those whose brain cells and hormones survive the antiballistic virus of religious didactics) due to enlightenments, versatile education, researches, examination of global phenomena, etc.

But for those whose brain cells and hormones have been badly affected, and or replaced by religious dogmatic pedagogy as a result of years of inescapable religious bondage and thralldom, they end up dedicating a life-time to religious dogma and tenets. e.g of these people are priests, nuns, imams, evangelical missionaries, etc.

The third group are the religious hoi polloi, these are the multitude of the great unwashed. they are the worst victims of religion, these are the people that believe sickness is caused by demons grin , they are are the captives living in the prison of religious indoctrinations. they see those outside prison as their enemies, they solely depend on whatever the prison guards (priests, pastors, imam, etc) said to them. so many of them are willing to escape but the polemic phenomenal occurrences in the outside world are too complex for them to confront. they can't imagine a world without a god grin , in fact, to them if you say there is no god you are possessed by demon and you need deliverance grin

finally, the result of my research on africa and religion shows that - "if not for fear, hardship, sickness and problems that people have, , if people can have all they want, and be assured of zero punishment for living their life the way they want it,,

then the number of church and mosque attendants will reduce drastically.

sincerely,

Mr. President

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do We Actually Control Whether Or Not We Are Religious? by wordcat(m): 8:45am On Jul 24, 2015
MrPresident:
Good morning friends,

Well, the basis of religion has always been fear, and not faith as acclaimed by religionists.
fear of hell fire, fear of god's anger/wrath, fear of demons/satan, etc.
right from infantile indoctrination there always have been terrible punishments/repercussions in religious teachings, that await those who do not accept or believe the god of religions and their teachings.
people grow up with the mental notion that if they disobey or disbelieve religion they would suffer those punishments.

however, the notion seems to metamorphosize in adulthood (amongst those whose brain cells and hormones survive the antiballistic virus of religious didactics) due to enlightenments, versatile education, researches, examination of global phenomena, etc.

But for those whose brain cells and hormones have been badly affected, and or replaced by religious dogmatic pedagogy as a result of years of inescapable bondage and thralldom, they end up dedicating a life-time to religious dogma and tenets. e.g of these people are priests, nuns, evangelical missionaries, etc.

The third group are the religious hoi polloi, these are the multitude of the great unwashed. they are the worst victims of religion, these are the people that believe sickness is caused by demons grin , they are are the captives living in the prison of religious indoctrinations. they see those outside prison as their enemies, they sole depend on whatever the prison guards (priests, pastors, etc) said to them. so many of them are willing to escape but the polemic phenomenal occurrences in the outside world are too complex for them to confront. they can't imagine a world without a god grin , in fact, to them if you say there is no god you are possessed by demon and you need deliverance grin

finally, the result of my research on africa and religion shows that - "if not for fear, hardship, sickness and problems that people have, , if people can have all they want, and be assured of zero punishment for living their life the way they want it,,

then the number of church and mosque attendants will reduce drastically.

sincerely,

Mr. President

You Just Closed The Thread

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Worshiping God By RĂ ping Slaves. Islamic State / Atrocities Of British Toward Islam By Baba Ali Mustapha / Please I Need Help!!! Any Prophet Of God In The House?!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.