Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,890 members, 7,798,980 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 01:20 PM

Funny Names Nigerians Give Cars- Photos - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Funny Names Nigerians Give Cars- Photos (2041 Views)

Names Of Companies That Give Cars Ut On Hire Purchase / Please Companies Who Give Cars At Hire Purchase / The Funny Nicknames Nigerians Give Different Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Funny Names Nigerians Give Cars- Photos by MRLINGTON(m): 2:38pm On Jul 26, 2015
Cars are amazing technological feats that litter
our roads round the world today. Every passing
year witnesses the debut of a new model or some
incredible modification on an existing model. But
I’m not here to examine car models or talk about
which is the newest innovation.
I’m here to talk about the funny names Nigerians
give these cars!
It’s amazing how some cars that have become
popular end up getting nicknames which are
usually as a result of situations surrounding them
or their looks.
I took some time to gather as much as I could on
the famous car models that were notorious for one
thing or the other way back then and presently
today.
The Honda series are usually very notorious for
getting names.

cc: lalasticlala cc: ishilove cc: seun
Re: Funny Names Nigerians Give Cars- Photos by MRLINGTON(m): 2:41pm On Jul 26, 2015
‘Pure Water’ Honda Accord 1986 This dude became the people’s favorite among regular sedans in Nigeria. Each time someone thought of buying a car, this Honda was not far off from the consideration list. It became so common that Nigerians nicknamed it ‘Pure Water’ because sachet water was the most accessible commodity anywhere

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Funny Names Nigerians Give Cars- Photos by BTT(m): 2:41pm On Jul 26, 2015
MRLINGTON:
Cars are amazing technological feats that litter
our roads round the world today. Every passing
year witnesses the debut of a new model or some
incredible modification on an existing model. But
I’m not here to examine car models or talk about
which is the newest innovation.
I’m here to talk about the funny names Nigerians
give these cars!
It’s amazing how some cars that have become
popular end up getting nicknames which are
usually as a result of situations surrounding them
or their looks.
I took some time to gather as much as I could on
the famous car models that were notorious for one
thing or the other way back then and presently
today.
The Honda series are usually very notorious for
getting names.

Make I spread mat for here...
Re: Funny Names Nigerians Give Cars- Photos by MRLINGTON(m): 2:42pm On Jul 26, 2015
‘Alla’ Honda Accord 1990 This was another favorite that continued where the 86’ model had left off. It was a heavy amongst the Hausas of northern Nigeria who were obsessed with it. This is how it came to be nicknamed ‘Alla’ because its supposedly said that when a Hausa man boasted about his Honda, he would go; ‘Na my Honda, Allah!’

1 Like

Re: Funny Names Nigerians Give Cars- Photos by MRLINGTON(m): 2:43pm On Jul 26, 2015
‘Bulldog’ Honda Accord 1995 This ride gained its nickname because of the way its back was shaped and the way it sat on the ground – like a bulldog.

Re: Funny Names Nigerians Give Cars- Photos by MRLINGTON(m): 2:44pm On Jul 26, 2015
‘Baby boy’ Honda Accord 1998 The circumstances surrounding this car’s nickname is quite funny. The car sort of became popular after it was spotted in John Singleton’s film titled ‘Baby boy’ which starred Tyrese Gibson in the lead role. Tyrese is seen cruising this Honda with cute alloys in many scenes in the movie.
my bro's latest sha

Re: Funny Names Nigerians Give Cars- Photos by MRLINGTON(m): 2:45pm On Jul 26, 2015
‘End of Discussion’ Honda Accord 2003 It was the tagline of its Ad that made this car popular as well as its Iv-Tec engine. The Ad simply said – ‘The New Honda Accord. End of Discussion.’ People loved this ride and it caught on like wildfire. However, the nickname ‘Iv-Tech’ later took over the former.

Re: Funny Names Nigerians Give Cars- Photos by MRLINGTON(m): 2:46pm On Jul 26, 2015
'Anaconda/Evil Spirit' Honda Accord 2009 When this Honda came out last year, people were alarmed because it had one heck of a scary look when you first came across it, and it was BIG compared to its past models. It got its nickname from the look of its healamps which look as menacing as the notorious Anaconda snake of the amazon jungle. The evil look of the headlamps also gained it a second nickname of ‘Evil Spirit’.

Re: Funny Names Nigerians Give Cars- Photos by MRLINGTON(m): 2:51pm On Jul 26, 2015
'Orobo' Toyota Camry 1992 This Toyota Camry probably marked the beginning of the ‘fattening up’ of the Camry range. Its longness and rotundness earned it the nickname ‘Orobo’ which is a Yoruba/pidgin lingo for ‘Fatso’.

Re: Funny Names Nigerians Give Cars- Photos by MRLINGTON(m): 2:52pm On Jul 26, 2015
'Millenium' Toyota Camry 1998 Suddenly Toyota must have thought it was time to slim down and introduced a slimmer model that became popular in Nigeria till today. The problem is, it didn’t have any distinctive nickname. The only name I ever gathered it was called was ‘Millenium’ because it came out in the year 2000; when we entered the millennium.

Re: Funny Names Nigerians Give Cars- Photos by MRLINGTON(m): 2:53pm On Jul 26, 2015
'Big for nothing' Toyota Camry 2004 The name probably came as a disdain registered by Nigerians at Toyota’s sudden decision to ‘fatten’ up the Camry again. This time it was so big and bogus that it was nobody seemed to see any use for its bigness.

Re: Funny Names Nigerians Give Cars- Photos by MRLINGTON(m): 2:54pm On Jul 26, 2015
'Muscle' Toyota Camry 2007 This car turned out to be a correction over the ‘Big for nothing’ because now all the bigness was put to good use; the car had curves that accentuated its beauty and gave it a distinct look; curves people referred to as ‘muscles’. Nigerians couldn’t resist calling this beauty the ‘Toyota Muscle’.

Re: Funny Names Nigerians Give Cars- Photos by MRLINGTON(m): 2:55pm On Jul 26, 2015
'Beast' Mercedes Benz 600 1995 This car was a huge monster that came out before most asian cars got into the bigness parade. It was never regarded as a regular car and was seen to eat up space. It was so massive and ugly it became rare and Nigerians just called it ‘the beast’.

Re: Funny Names Nigerians Give Cars- Photos by MRLINGTON(m): 2:56pm On Jul 26, 2015
'V Boot/ V Nyansh' Mercedes Benz 300 1990 This ride caught Naija by storm. Nigerians fell head over heels in love with it. It was majestic and a beaut in its time. The design at that time was unique and its nickname, ‘V boot’, was derived from the unique shape of its boot which was later made sexy with the pidgin term ‘V Nyansh’.

Re: Funny Names Nigerians Give Cars- Photos by yak(m): 3:02pm On Jul 26, 2015
MRLINGTON:
'Millenium'
Toyota Camry 1998
Suddenly Toyota must have thought it was time
to slim down and introduced a slimmer model
that became popular in Nigeria till today. The
problem is, it didn’t have any distinctive
nickname. The only name I ever gathered it was
called was ‘Millenium’ because it came out in the
year 2000; when we entered the millennium.
. Dis car got d name drop lite and pencil cos of d shape of d back light
Re: Funny Names Nigerians Give Cars- Photos by Nobody: 3:03pm On Jul 26, 2015
wot of Ijapa 4 volkswagen
Re: Funny Names Nigerians Give Cars- Photos by mikolo80: 3:18pm On Jul 26, 2015
MRLINGTON:
'Muscle'
Toyota Camry 2007
This car turned out to be a correction over the ‘Big
for nothing’ because now all the bigness was put
to good use; the car had curves that accentuated
its beauty and gave it a distinct look; curves
people referred to as ‘muscles’. Nigerians couldn’t
resist calling this beauty the ‘Toyota Muscle’.
'muzzle'(with thick Yoruba accent) not muscle
Re: Funny Names Nigerians Give Cars- Photos by Humblega(m): 4:20pm On Jul 26, 2015
Naija
Re: Funny Names Nigerians Give Cars- Photos by ObiOkpor(m): 5:11pm On Jul 26, 2015
Watching.......
Re: Funny Names Nigerians Give Cars- Photos by odeku457(m): 8:52pm On Jul 26, 2015
Nice write up. (Y)

(1) (Reply)

2007 GLK450 4matic Mercedes Benz / Road Fuel Tanker Monitoring: Cargo Tanks And Cargo Compartments Monitoring / BMW X5 2009 4.5m Registered

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.