Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,322 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:20 AM

I Stand By My Comments On Soyinka, Says Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Stand By My Comments On Soyinka, Says Obasanjo (1755 Views)

Afe Babalola Supports Restructuring, Says Obasanjo Is Best President / EFCC Has Become Toothless Bull-dog, Says Obasanjo / Yes We Spent 82million On Soyinka But......nddc Boss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Stand By My Comments On Soyinka, Says Obasanjo by gratiaeo(m): 7:03pm On Jul 26, 2015

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has said he maintains his view, as expressed in his three-volume autobiography, My Watch, that Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, has better expertise in wine matters than in political analysis.

In the book, Obasanjo wrote, “For Wole, no one can be good, nor can anything be spot-on politically except that which emanates from him or is ordained by him. His friends and loved ones will always be right and correct no matter what they do or fail to do. He is surely a better wine connoisseur and a more successful aparo (guinea fowl) hunter than a political critic.”

However, last year December, shortly after the book went public, Soyinka had, in a piece titled ‘Watch And Pray, Watch And Prey’, vehemently protested that description of him, calling Obasanjo an expert liar, who lies to boost his ego.

But in an interview granted a private television station, Channels, on a programme tagged ‘Book Club’, Obasanjo, while holding on to his words, said what he wrote about Soyinka was purely his view, adding that Soyinka did not have to agree with it.

The former President, who added that he did not write the book to please anybody, also disclosed that there was a lingering feud between him and the Nobel Laureate, who, he said, had vowed that the differences between the two of them would not be resolved on earth.

Obasanjo, however, said he had told Soyinka that, in that case, whichever of them gets to heaven first should wait at the gate to welcome the other.

He said, “Wole Soyinka is a gifted man. I have always acknowledged that but he is a bad politician and I have also always said that; and that is my own point of view. He may agree with it, he may not agree with it.

“But having said that, I also, in my book, bring out Wole Soyinka as I see him and that’s my own judgment; that’s my own perspective of him. He may agree, he may not agree but anybody can bring out his own perspective of me.

“For instance, I know that if I want somebody to give me the best wine, one of the people I will go to is Wole Soyinka and I know he has a taste for good wine and I said that in the book.”

Obasanjo also dismissed a rejoinder to his book titled ‘Watch the Watcher’, written by the Publicity Secretary of Afenifere, Yinka Odumakin, saying the book was not worth to be kept in anybody’s library.

Obasanjo, who said Odumakin was paid by former President Goodluck Jonathan to write the book, said he could not be worried because Odumakin did not write anything that would last.

Obasanjo said, “Yinka Odumakin was hired to do the hatchet job and he did it.

“It was part of the campaign of Goodluck Jonathan and he did serve the purpose of Goodluck Jonathan. But whether Goodluck Jonathan gained from it or Yinka Odumakin gained from it, well, it’s now left to history.

“But how should I worry about that; that Yinka Odumakin was hired by Goodluck Jonathan to do a job, which he did and Yinka Odumakin didn’t write anything to last? He wrote current affairs, not a book that anybody will seriously want to keep in his library and that’s the way I see it. And a book should be something that somebody wants to keep in the library.”
http://www.punchng.com/news/i-stand-by-my-comment-on-soyinka-says-obasanjo/
Re: I Stand By My Comments On Soyinka, Says Obasanjo by MosakuAW(m): 7:04pm On Jul 26, 2015
Ebora owu himself

What he wrote about Soyinka was
purely his view, Soyinka did not
have to agree with it.
Re: I Stand By My Comments On Soyinka, Says Obasanjo by SeverusSnape(m): 7:05pm On Jul 26, 2015
Can this sophisticated bonobo keep shut for once?

Ebola Owu.

1 Like

Re: I Stand By My Comments On Soyinka, Says Obasanjo by Nobody: 7:05pm On Jul 26, 2015
k
Re: I Stand By My Comments On Soyinka, Says Obasanjo by KingKuntaVart: 7:07pm On Jul 26, 2015
gratiaeo:

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has said he maintains his view, as expressed in his three-volume autobiography, My Watch, that Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, has better expertise in wine matters than in political analysis.

In the book, Obasanjo wrote, “For Wole, no one can be good, nor can anything be spot-on politically except that which emanates from him or is ordained by him. His friends and loved ones will always be right and correct no matter what they do or fail to do. He is surely a better wine connoisseur and a more successful aparo (guinea fowl) hunter than a political critic.”

However, last year December, shortly after the book went public, Soyinka had, in a piece titled ‘Watch And Pray, Watch And Prey’, vehemently protested that description of him, calling Obasanjo an expert liar, who lies to boost his ego.

But in an interview granted a private television station, Channels, on a programme tagged ‘Book Club’, Obasanjo, while holding on to his words, said what he wrote about Soyinka was purely his view, adding that Soyinka did not have to agree with it.

The former President, who added that he did not write the book to please anybody, also disclosed that there was a lingering feud between him and the Nobel Laureate, who, he said, had vowed that the differences between the two of them would not be resolved on earth.

Obasanjo, however, said he had told Soyinka that, in that case, whichever of them gets to heaven first should wait at the gate to welcome the other.

He said, “Wole Soyinka is a gifted man. I have always acknowledged that but he is a bad politician and I have also always said that; and that is my own point of view. He may agree with it, he may not agree with it.

“But having said that, I also, in my book, bring out Wole Soyinka as I see him and that’s my own judgment; that’s my own perspective of him. He may agree, he may not agree but anybody can bring out his own perspective of me.

“For instance, I know that if I want somebody to give me the best wine, one of the people I will go to is Wole Soyinka and I know he has a taste for good wine and I said that in the book.”

Obasanjo also dismissed a rejoinder to his book titled ‘Watch the Watcher’, written by the Publicity Secretary of Afenifere, Yinka Odumakin, saying the book was not worth to be kept in anybody’s library.

Obasanjo, who said Odumakin was paid by former President Goodluck Jonathan to write the book, said he could not be worried because Odumakin did not write anything that would last.

Obasanjo said, “Yinka Odumakin was hired to do the hatchet job and he did it.

“It was part of the campaign of Goodluck Jonathan and he did serve the purpose of Goodluck Jonathan. But whether Goodluck Jonathan gained from it or Yinka Odumakin gained from it, well, it’s now left to history.

“But how should I worry about that; that Yinka Odumakin was hired by Goodluck Jonathan to do a job, which he did and Yinka Odumakin didn’t write anything to last? He wrote current affairs, not a book that anybody will seriously want to keep in his library and that’s the way I see it. And a book should be something that somebody wants to keep in the library.”
http://www.punchng.com/news/i-stand-by-my-comment-on-soyinka-says-obasanjo/

Re: I Stand By My Comments On Soyinka, Says Obasanjo by SouthernBreeze(m): 7:07pm On Jul 26, 2015
F
Re: I Stand By My Comments On Soyinka, Says Obasanjo by kossyablaze(m): 7:08pm On Jul 26, 2015
PLEASE READ THIS... Our better tomorrow starts with us...I can't imagine these same people listed below even shout CHANGE,when they are busy decaying and rotting away with the type of nomenclature they bear on this Forum.I keep asking,whatever happend to the managers of this forum?Can't they place embargos on this?We all see this usernames here and keep mute.Itz really quite appalling.Its true we have animals on NL,buh a little admonishion can go a long way changing that person.These are lost souls craving for nuture and awesome grooming.I pray one day,they will repent atleast from the type of names they answer...Taylor86 or whatever your name is,U av been blaming PMB for ur joblessness.When u come of age,u would understand better."Don't ask for what your country would do for you,rather ask for what u would do for your country". www.nairaland.com/born2eatpussy www.nairaland.com/pussygotlips www.nairaland.com/sweetorgasm www.nairaland.com/dickrider www.nairaland.com/dickdastardly www.nairaland.com/pussypounder www.nairaland.com/clitoris777 www.nairaland.com/sweetjoystick www.nairaland.com/b0rn2fuck

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Stand By My Comments On Soyinka, Says Obasanjo by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jul 26, 2015
old man go rest hope your coffin is carved cos very soon u will give your earthly accountability to God.

no bribe there God will call u soon.
Re: I Stand By My Comments On Soyinka, Says Obasanjo by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jul 26, 2015
Who has noticed!!! BUBU likes making FP
Re: I Stand By My Comments On Soyinka, Says Obasanjo by nagastat: 7:22pm On Jul 26, 2015
Serve us an ape.

hoogabogoogoo.

trying to tell you in ape language to STFU.

hoogabogoogoo.
Re: I Stand By My Comments On Soyinka, Says Obasanjo by Tolexander: 7:24pm On Jul 26, 2015
Baba seems to be close to his grave!

1 Like

Re: I Stand By My Comments On Soyinka, Says Obasanjo by Welrez(m): 7:41pm On Jul 26, 2015
Obasanjo has the singular phobia of leaving the limelight. That makes him garrulous!

1 Like

Re: I Stand By My Comments On Soyinka, Says Obasanjo by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jul 26, 2015
Baba has started fighting again since there is no GEJ to fight again. Soon baba will say

*Buhari is not our Messiah* Obasanjo (very soon)

1 Like

Re: I Stand By My Comments On Soyinka, Says Obasanjo by Shortyy(f): 7:52pm On Jul 26, 2015
Why does he talk too much these days

1 Like

Re: I Stand By My Comments On Soyinka, Says Obasanjo by joseph1832(m): 8:23pm On Jul 26, 2015
Baba OBJ, you should tread carefully oh. The last time an old hag who was tagged a Shepopotamus decided to tackle Prof Soyinka, things didn't go well with her oh!.

So baba just take time oh! Remember, age is not on your side oh!.
Re: I Stand By My Comments On Soyinka, Says Obasanjo by joseph1832(m): 8:25pm On Jul 26, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
Baba has started fighting again since there is no GEJ to fight again. Soon baba will say

Mary Magdalene ECOTERRORS, how is your husband Judas Iscariot Barcanista? I hope market dey sell well well? LMAO.
Re: I Stand By My Comments On Soyinka, Says Obasanjo by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jul 26, 2015
joseph1832:
Mary Magdalene ECOTERRORS, how is your husband Judas Iscariot Barcanista? I hope market dey sell well well? LMAO.
*IGNORED*

1 Like

Re: I Stand By My Comments On Soyinka, Says Obasanjo by joseph1832(m): 8:30pm On Jul 26, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
*IGNORED*
tonguetonguetongue
Re: I Stand By My Comments On Soyinka, Says Obasanjo by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jul 26, 2015
"His friends and loved ones will always be right and correct no matter what they do or fail to do. He is surely a better wine connoisseur and a more successful aparo (guinea fowl) hunter than a political critic."

This man and him bad mouth.

@Ecoterrors someone sEems to be courting your attention

1 Like

Re: I Stand By My Comments On Soyinka, Says Obasanjo by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jul 26, 2015
ECOTERRORS:

baba has been fighting successive administrations since 1979.

1 Like

Re: I Stand By My Comments On Soyinka, Says Obasanjo by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jul 26, 2015
barcanista:
"His friends and loved ones will always be right and correct no matter what they do or fail to do. He is surely a better wine connoisseur and a more successful aparo (guinea fowl) hunter than a political critic."

This man and him bad mouth.

@Ecoterrors someone sEems to be courting your attention
I detest that guy and every thing he stands for

1 Like

Re: I Stand By My Comments On Soyinka, Says Obasanjo by Nobody: 9:08pm On Jul 26, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
I detest that guy and every thing he stands for
I simply ignore him. Unfotunately, he never relents in mentioning me. He even go as far as harrassing whoever that is friendly to me on NL...

You have earned yourself an annoying troll grin

1 Like

Re: I Stand By My Comments On Soyinka, Says Obasanjo by 9aijaboi(m): 10:16pm On Jul 26, 2015
Obj said he acknowledges Soyinka for wine not even academics, literature etc.
What is he implying?
#OBJ#SOYINKA#wedeyobserve

(1) (Reply)

I'll Appoint Only Patriotic, Decent Nigerians, Says Buhari / Live Video: Saraki Found Unused NASS TV Studio / Breaking News PMB To Start Probe Of Past Administrations On Monday 5/10/2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.