Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:22 PM

Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. (4582 Views)

Lets Start A Real Web-deveopment Course Here Html+css+javascript+php+mysql / Why Javascript Is The Best Programing Language / Were Can I Download Free Video Tutorials On Javascript Or Ruby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by Nobody: 8:11am On Jul 27, 2015
When I learnt JavaScript back in 2013, Everybody were telling me it is just a script language - client sided and cannot be used to write heavy applications.

Guess what I proved all of them wrong and I am kinda rocking on it in building all my web applications. I built my website from scratch and believe me my website is totally a HEAVY application. Instead of using java to create applets to integrate into my php. I used JavaScript all through.

Not only did it make my web application more effective and reliable, it made it super fast.

My web application does calculations and shows the steps in a very unique way.

Thanks to JavaScript, I thought you programmers should know.

You can see my work at www.nickzom.com

Have a nice day!

4 Likes

Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by Nobody: 8:41am On Jul 27, 2015
Seen one of your android apps, and that has changed my opinion - you are good!
Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by koyla: 8:45am On Jul 27, 2015
Nice one Nick
Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by Nobody: 11:16am On Jul 27, 2015
so simple in look and clean too. Can we see more works,even if it's incomplete. Are you on Github ? will like to fork your directory.
Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by Nobody: 11:30am On Jul 27, 2015
That's awesome..nice!
Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by thewebcraft(m): 11:59am On Jul 27, 2015
Nick your apps are wonderful, but just try to create apps with simple UI
Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jul 27, 2015
thewebcraft:
Nick your apps are wonderful, but just try to create apps with simple UI
That is exactly what I was going to say, I just had trouble putting the words together.
Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by thewebcraft(m): 4:33pm On Jul 27, 2015
dhtml18:

That is exactly what I was going to say, I just had trouble putting the words together.
grin
Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jul 27, 2015
kpodosky:
so simple in look and clean too. Can we see more works,even if it's incomplete. Are you on Github ? will like to fork your directory.

I am sorry to disappoint you but I am not in GitHub
Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by Nobody: 5:56pm On Jul 27, 2015
Thanks guys! I learn everyday and will try to keep improving.
Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jul 27, 2015
kpodosky:
Funny dude, looking for free codes. . .
Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by Nobody: 7:05pm On Jul 27, 2015
dhtml18:

Funny dude, looking for free codes. . .
No,not at all. I don't know why you think it's funny but I hope - for your sake- you know not everyone come here for Jokes and silly comments..'No insult intended'
Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jul 27, 2015
I am sorry if i offend you with my silly comments, I am truly a silly joker and I cant help being so.
Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by GoodBoi1(m): 8:34pm On Jul 27, 2015
JavaScript is the language of the future. I would like to know the framework you used for the server-side, Nickzom.
Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jul 27, 2015
GoodBoi1:
JavaScript is the language of the future. I would like to know the framework you used for the server-side.
Server side of what aspect please? I only client-side o? Abi i don miss something? But FYI JavaScript can do both client and server-side.
Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by GoodBoi1(m): 8:48pm On Jul 27, 2015
dhtml18:

Server side of what aspect please? I only client-side o? Abi i don miss something? But FYI JavaScript can do both client and server-side.
No, it was for Nickzom. That's true.
Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by Olumyco(m): 9:45pm On Jul 27, 2015
Nice one Nick. More power to your elbow.
You can still get on with JavaScript on the comment aspect of ur site without using php at all. I would like to suggest u use nodejs- / MEAN stack with mongoose for mongoDB and jade as the template engine.
Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jul 27, 2015
Yeah, MEANSTACK is the thing now o.
Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by Olumyco(m): 10:03pm On Jul 27, 2015
dhtml18:
Yeah, MEANSTACK is the thing now o.

Yes o.
Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by Nobody: 7:20am On Jul 28, 2015
GoodBoi1:
JavaScript is the language of the future. I would like to know the framework you used for the server-side, Nickzom.

If you are referring to my website, the JavaScript I used where all client sided. I didn't apply any framework to the server side.
Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by Nobody: 7:22am On Jul 28, 2015
Olumyco:
Nice one Nick. More power to your elbow.
You can still get on with JavaScript on the comment aspect of ur site without using php at all. I would like to suggest u use nodejs- / MEAN stack with mongoose for mongoDB and jade as the template engine.

Thank you for the update. I will look into it more its just that sometimes I feel like php and its phpmyadmin DB is more secure and reliable than the rest. But I will check again may be I am wrong.
Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by saintfarodizy(m): 8:17am On Jul 28, 2015
node.js is good for the server side
Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by ernieboy(m): 7:27pm On Aug 02, 2015
While acknowledging the potential of javascript especially for devs who settle down to learn it, it is important to remind the op that it is still basically a script that runs on the clients computer. This makes it less secure than server side languages. For example hackers can easily view your source code and know how u built ur app. Also it is not advisable to process or validate user data with javascript as this can easily be bypassed.
Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by Nobody: 8:06pm On Aug 02, 2015
^^^Yeah, however you statements are exclusively for the client-sided javascript. But is null and void for the server sided one like node.js. Do you know that you can even use javascript to build applications to run on microsoft windows, games and all that - and i am not talking web browser related stuffs here.
Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by danvery2k6(m): 8:25am On Aug 03, 2015
Nickzom:
When I learnt JavaScript back in 2013, Everybody were telling me it is just a script language - client sided and cannot be used to write heavy applications.

Guess what I proved all of them wrong and I am kinda rocking on it in building all my web applications. I built my website from scratch and believe me my website is totally a HEAVY application. Instead of using java to create applets to integrate into my php. I used JavaScript all through.

Not only did it make my web application more effective and reliable, it made it super fast.

My web application does calculations and shows the steps in a very unique way.

Thanks to JavaScript, I thought you programmers should know.

You can see my work at www.nickzom.com

Have a nice day!

Great work. But your fields are accepting alphanumerics instead of just numerics. You should catch that error at validation.
Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by Olumyco(m): 1:31pm On Aug 03, 2015
ernieboy:
While acknowledging the potential of javascript especially for devs who settle down to learn it, it is important to remind the op that it is still basically a script that runs on the clients computer. This makes it less secure than server side languages. For example hackers can easily view your source code and know how u built ur app. Also it is not advisable to process or validate user data with javascript as this can easily be bypassed.

What u r trying to insinuate here is not correct based on the recent dev in the lang. JavaScript isn't only client sided again. It runs on different platforms now; server, desktop, phone, embedded system etc are some of the platforms on which JavaScript runs now. ICT world is changing all d time, one needs to be kept abreast of new happenings to always stay updated.
Thanks
Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by ernieboy(m): 10:20pm On Aug 03, 2015
dhtml18:
^^^Yeah, however you statements are exclusively for the client-sided javascript. But is null and void for the server sided one like node.js. Do you know that you can even use javascript to build applications to run on microsoft windows, games and all that - and i am not talking web browser related stuffs here.
I am aware of the use of js in other platforms I am simply commenting on js as it relates to web dev. It runs in the browser and this makes it unsafe especially for validating user form inputs.
Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by Nobody: 6:40am On Aug 04, 2015
^^^You are not speaking like a professional. There is both frontend and backend validation bro. The frontend validation is to save user's time while the backend validation is to protect from hacking - so in a real life stuff, you use both.
And websites like Facebook make use of javascript to do like 90% of their stuff. Go and try hacking them and see what you get.

Lets speak in practical terms, so i make a form and give it too fields:
E-mail TextBox
Password TextBox
Submit Button

I can use javascript to force a normal user to type in an email in the correct format (to save users time)
I can use javascript to make sure the password follows certain rules like minimum of 6 characters, contain letters etc
Now when submit button is clicked, it is makes sure that these rules are followed religiously

Hacker: can disable javascript entirely, or even use curl or a hacking tool to submit data to the backend disobeying the rules or even
injecting harmful substances like cocaine into the form data

Backend level:
- I will validate the email again to make sure it contains just characters required for an email and nothing else.
- Password, i might want to check the length again to make sure it complies

If both email and password are correct at the backend, then i hash the password with whatever algorithm i like, save the data and send
a message back to the owner of the form either via the browser directly or ajax indirectly.

So whether javaScript is enabled, disabled or bypass. The final security depends on the server script that is handling the MONEY TRANSACTION.
Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by CyberSyringe: 7:02am On Aug 04, 2015
Cocaine grin

1 Like

Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by Nobody: 7:09am On Aug 04, 2015
Monkeytail or whatever you call it. . . .just a figurative expression for illegal contraban substance
Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by Nobody: 6:56pm On Aug 05, 2015
danvery2k6:

Great work. But your fields are accepting alphanumerics instead of just numerics. You should catch that error at validation.

It removes the non numeric on computation. I made it that way on purpose.

Thanks for discovering anyway but a user can easily make mistakes so I filter the non numericals during computation. You can try it out and see.
Re: Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. by Nobody: 6:58pm On Aug 05, 2015
ernieboy:

I understand you brother! But I must tell you JavaScript is now more powerful than that . Anyway it all depends on the way you use it.

Thanks!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Udemy Payment Crisis / How To Make Simple Animation Videos..tips,tricks & Tools / Api For Jamb, Waec And Neco

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.