Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,876 members, 7,806,521 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:48 PM

Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date (61662 Views)

Nigerian Changes Chewing Gum's Expiry Date / Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food / 3 Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by JeffreyJamez(m): 1:50pm On Jul 29, 2015
Many people don’t know that expiry date and best before date are not the same. In fact, many people use them interchangeably thinking that they mean the same thing. Well, let me use this medium to inform you that expiry date and best before date are two different terminologies meaning different things and serving different purposes.

In this article, I will explain what each date marking found on food packages means and also introduce to you, the concepts of “use by” date and “durable life date”. I will however lay more emphasis on the expiry date and best before dates because they are the most commonly used on food packages.
Definition of Terms (Date Markings on Food Packs)

Expiry Date: It is added to a food package to tell consumers the last day a product is safe to consume. You should never consume food after the expiry date.

Best Before Date: This is the date the manufacturer deems the product reaches peak freshness. The date does not indicate spoilage, nor does it necessarily tells you that the food is no longer safe for consumption.

Photo Credit: yummymummyclub.ca

Sell by: This is specifically added for sellers of the products. Most sell-by dates are found on perishables like meat, seafood and milk. The date is a guide for stores to know how long they can display a particular product. After this date, they MUST not sell it.

So, what are the important differences between EXPIRY DATE and BEST BEFORE DATE? By the time you are done reading this, you would find out that it is not every food that expires and not every food you should throw away after some dates.

1. The Meaning of Expiry Date & Best Before Date

Expiry date means that your food has gone spoilt from that date and you should never consume it. It is no longer safe to eat such foods as they would lead to illness and in extreme cases, death. Best Before Date on the other hand tells you that the food is no longer in its perfect shape from that date. It may just lose its freshness, taste aroma or nutrients. It does not necessarily mean that the food is no longer safe to eat.

Expiry date is not something we see on every food product. Unlike Best Before Dates, there are five types of products that are labelled with an expiration date:

Baby formula and other human milk substitutes.
Nutritional supplements.
Meal replacements.
Pharmacist-sold foods for very low-energy diets.
Formulated liquid diets.

However, it is easy to find best before dates on nearly every item in the supermarket.

2.Best Before relates to Quality, Expiry Date to Safety

Best before dates indicates that the quality of a food material can no longer be guaranteed after that date, so this is a Quality indicator. On the other hand, Expiry Date indicates that a food has gone bad and should not be eaten. You put yourself in danger if you eat the food after its expiry date.

In a country like the U.S.A., foods that are perishable (e.g. cheese) are required by law to have an expiry date but something like a sleeve of crackers or a box of cereal doesn’t need to be dated. The best before date added to the packages of these food material are mostly voluntary.

3. It’s Possible To Eat Food After Best Before Date Without Falling ill

Like I said earlier at some point in this article, best before dates do not relate to the safety of a food product, it is just about quality. This means that we can still eat a food that has passed its best before date; the food would just likely not be in its best quality state. It might have lost some nutrients or changed colour.

Manufacturers usually choose best before dates through sensory testing over a period of time. Testing may be scheduled for 1 month, 3 months, 6 months and 9 months after the product was manufactured. This depends on the food that is being tested.

The truth is that manufacturers choose mostly 20% earlier date than the best before date. If the food’s quality can no longer be guaranteed after 100days of storage, manufacturers would normally put the best before date at day 80 after manufacture.

Source: http://www.foodsng.com/3-differences-between-expiry-best-before-date-of-food/

71 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by JeffreyJamez(m): 1:52pm On Jul 29, 2015
Chai!!... all those Gala I've thrown away cos BB date embarassed

99 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by playcharles(m): 1:52pm On Jul 29, 2015
ok we hear una
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by Asito(m): 1:53pm On Jul 29, 2015
Very educative piece. If only I checked any of the above before eating my gala cry

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by spicytayomic(m): 1:53pm On Jul 29, 2015
Asito:
Informative

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by adonbilivit: 1:53pm On Jul 29, 2015
JeffreyJamez:
Chai!!... all those Gala I've thrown away cos BB date embarassed
I will rather throw the gala away. best before indicates when the quality of the goods cant be trusted again. so u want to risk your life cos of 50 naira gala? u even did the INTRO on this your own post. INTROvert u did not do the intro, why?

11 Likes

Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by DeHero1: 1:53pm On Jul 29, 2015
Buhari has reach Best Before date...

After his first 100 days, he has reached expiry date and as d OP said, no longer useful. angry

Bottom line... Make hay while the sun shines. The 'change' we've experienced so far isn't positive at all.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by lastchild: 1:53pm On Jul 29, 2015
True
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by Kossyne(m): 1:53pm On Jul 29, 2015
Informative..MODs do the needful.
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by yemitexcel(m): 1:53pm On Jul 29, 2015
I hear
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by Rexphobia(m): 1:54pm On Jul 29, 2015
How did I get here
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by Westadon(m): 1:54pm On Jul 29, 2015
Thank u

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by Spaxon(f): 1:54pm On Jul 29, 2015
chai..... all those tins of milk I threw away cuz I tot they had expired... grin cheesy
op u sef eh......
u made FP and u still book space....
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by Adenugay(m): 1:54pm On Jul 29, 2015
ok

Create Us A Video Playing Our Yet To Be Launched Game For #10,000
>> https://www.nairaland.com/2485126/create-us-video-playing-yet
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by gebest: 1:54pm On Jul 29, 2015
Y ar they not doing it like this (PROD+BEST BEFORE+EXPIRY), all we see is either (PROD+BEST BEFORE) or (PROD+EXPIRY).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by ahamonyeka(m): 1:55pm On Jul 29, 2015
grin ;DHere in nigeria we eat expired food that has expired over 11years angryHere in nigeria we eat expired food that has expired over 11years

Example is chocola royal
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by Calebosko(m): 1:55pm On Jul 29, 2015
Most times when we walk into big malls,
boutiques, supermarkets, we never
question their prices. We pay exactly what
we see on the price tags and even hand
out tips to the staff. But the moment we
are out of these shops and want tobuy
banana, our bargaining game gets off to
the roof. . Poor widow with 12 hungry
children at home tells you banana is N100.
She even takes out her time to explain
how difficult it wasfor her to even buy it,
how the economy is so tough. But we
insist that if it's not N50, we are not
paying. Some of us even step back into our
cars and make to drive away. . But because
'half bread is better chin chin', this woman
is forced to call you back and sell to you at
little or no gain. In her heart, she cries,
she's worried about how she'll survive
with her children. She silently reassures
herself that 'It's well. God will definitely
provide.'' While you happily chop the
luscious banana. . Take some seconds out
and think about this, guys. Please don't
bargain hard with small vendors like this.
They do business not to buy designer
bags, Gucci shoes but to LIVE and EAT!
Have a luvly week ahead.

107 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by Nobody: 1:55pm On Jul 29, 2015
Actually I have not read it I just have to hurry up to book space

Yap am back I have read it an educative piece
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by LieDetector(m): 1:55pm On Jul 29, 2015
I swear I'm guilty of taking the two terminologies to mean the same thing. I feel like turning back the hands of time so I can get to recover all the beverages I've been throwing away as a result of this gross ignorance.

But trust me wink. I ain't gonna disclose this to my friends. I'm gonna use this piece of information to my advantage grin. You understand that right? wink

5 Likes

Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by mysticdollar(f): 1:55pm On Jul 29, 2015
Best before and expiry date na english
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by Eneze1(f): 1:55pm On Jul 29, 2015
Thanks for this information
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by barry40: 1:56pm On Jul 29, 2015
Some items has just 'manufactured date'. This leaves consumers with not enough information to start guessing what the expiry date will be. A good example is 'tyres'

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by Owodiong(m): 1:56pm On Jul 29, 2015
Ok
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by jamesversion: 1:57pm On Jul 29, 2015
ok
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by Titto93(m): 1:57pm On Jul 29, 2015
And what happens to items that have their manufacturing date ahead of the original date we bought them
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by IYADARA(f): 1:57pm On Jul 29, 2015
...iif I check d bb or expiry and is close, God knows I won't buy it

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by ShobayoEmma(m): 1:57pm On Jul 29, 2015
hbd to me. Pls show me some likes since nairaland admi has refused to list me amongts today's celebrants birthday board list.

25 Likes

Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by weeZee007: 1:58pm On Jul 29, 2015
Y wud I wanna eat sumtin dat has passed peak freshness undecidedY wud I wanna eat sumtin dat has passed peak freshness

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by Growingboi(m): 1:58pm On Jul 29, 2015
@op, you are right bt you know when you give Nigerians chance they will take chances. To be on a safer side, once it has 'expired' or past its 'best before' please, do not consume. Take alcoholic drinks for example, there is a probability that the enzymes used in its fermentation must have gained full strength after its best before and this can harm the consumer if taken.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by DeHero1: 1:59pm On Jul 29, 2015
barry40:
a

For Akpu

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by Obiwannn: 1:59pm On Jul 29, 2015
NICE
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by Abayor7: 2:00pm On Jul 29, 2015
exipiry date : actually, some products would've expired befor its expiry date while some can still have more days left to expire after the tagged expiry date..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Could Have Brought This Lonely Big Owl Into Our Compound?(pictures) / You Can Only Buy 2 Packs Of Juice - SPAR Supermarket Tells Customers (photo) / Peak Milk And Dano Milk Battle Each Other On Twitter. See What Happened

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.