Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,440 members, 7,808,575 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:38 PM

Iraqi Soccer Player Shot Dead Attempting Goal - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Iraqi Soccer Player Shot Dead Attempting Goal (1019 Views)

I Am A Football Soccer Player I Need A Chance For Tryout In Europe / Who Is The Fastest Soccer Player In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iraqi Soccer Player Shot Dead Attempting Goal by ciscostaz: 8:55am On Mar 17, 2009
A soccer player in Iraq died on Sunday after he was shot in the head by a spectator in the stands. The attack took place just as the striker was set to score a tying goal in the last minute of a game between two rival teams in Hilla, a city in the south of Iraq that is home to about 500,000 people.

The BBC reports, citing local security officials, that the striker was shot in the head during the final minute of the game, which was being played between teams from Sinjar and Buhayra. One suspect has been arrested and Iraqi police are continuing to investigate.

The killing comes at a time when some have pointed to increased soccer games as a sign that Iraq is finding some sense of normalcy. Mohammed Salih, a 28-year-old Iraqi, told an American reporter last week, "This is the first time since 2003 I've felt safe enough to come back to the stadium. There's so much news about bad politics and poor security. Football is the only thing that brings relief to my soul."
Re: Iraqi Soccer Player Shot Dead Attempting Goal by tayoccu(m): 10:01am On Mar 17, 2009
provide a link to prove your story is authentic
Re: Iraqi Soccer Player Shot Dead Attempting Goal by ciscostaz: 1:15pm On Mar 17, 2009
Re: Iraqi Soccer Player Shot Dead Attempting Goal by tayoccu(m): 9:21am On Mar 19, 2009
the club the shooter supports should be banned from playing soccer for all eternity (even sunday evening football) shocked shocked shocked
sepp blatter hope you're reading this?!

@ciscostaz
sorry I doubted you tot you wanted to punk the house. smiley

(1) (Reply)

Dancing Should Be Considered As A Sport / Olympics 2016 - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil-( with pictures) / Newcastle To Make £3m Osaze Odemwingie Offer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.