Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,766 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:07 PM

An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer (31312 Views)

10 Things A Graduate Should Do While Waiting For A Good Job Offer / How Lil Kesh's Song, "Efejoku" Made Me Lose A Job Offer / 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by tiblow: 8:41am On Jul 30, 2015
My dear brother, other than what everybody said, search your heart and pray to God for direction. The counsel of man is not always the best in every situation, the circumstance that look bleak in Nigeria today may surprise you tomorrow so please don't use physical sense to chart the course of your life. In my own opinion, i think Nigeria seems to be getting it right already which is obvious to everybody that can read in between the line. The glorified developed world are wallowing in great debt up to their hear and great possibility for crashing of their economy, so why don't you take the leap and be part of the new prosperous Nigeria. I have friends that are looking for every opportunity to return to Nigeria. Choose wisely and not cashly. Best of God.
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Nobody: 8:43am On Jul 30, 2015
jaybee3:

400K is barely $1.7K per month
That's peanut for someone with relevant engineering degrees in the oil and gas industry

An offer he can't refuse should be in the region of 1M+ per month
will he earn more than this in an equivalent firm abroad ?
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by dotune(m): 8:44am On Jul 30, 2015
Op, naturally thinking, I feel u should stay behind. Reason is, u said u r due to get ur residency. And also because, u have a foreign degree (UK and U.S). Even if it will take time to get a job there, I'm sure the wait will be worth it. People who have ur qualification could still earn btw 100k and 120k per year in U.S. Dollars that is.
250k here in naija is like earning $1k every month and for someone who has left naija for sometim, trust me it isn't that juicy.
Above all, I feel u should pray to God for direction, because not everything is about money. God may have other purpose He wants to achieve through u in the next phase of ur life. Good luck my guy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by jaybee3(m): 8:46am On Jul 30, 2015
majekdom2:
will he earn more than this in an equivalent firm abroad ?

Fresh graduates in Oil and gas engineering firms in the UK earn as much as £37K in their first year but salary structure aren't comparable as they are expected to earn more in African countries due to obvious reasons (Security, cost of having a good basic standard of living et al)
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Nobody: 8:48am On Jul 30, 2015
Anonymous1900:
Hello Everyone

Let me start by saying this is not an opportunity to judge or criticize my decisions or lack of it there of. I would also try to be as open and forthcoming as possible regarding all information to help you offer any opinions either from personal experience of inferred ideas.

I already have a direction am inclined to lean towards but its not set in stone and am very much open to ideas from others (I actually welcome it as i like to be thorough and get all the information i can have before making decisions)

I was recently offered a position in Nigeria due to start in a month at the latest however i am currently rounding off a research program in the united states (6 months to finish). The prospective employer will not defer the position till i finish in 6 months time. I had interviews with the vice president of the company when i was in Nigeria last year and a couple of other interviews but i guess due to the instability of the economy (elections and all), the offer never materialized till now. i consider the offer a place to start and while I cant be specific about the exact figure here, its upwards of 250k/month after Tax.

Before you make your decisions based on the offer or my current academic situation, here is a little about me. I have a BSc (Nigeria), MSc (Uk) and MEng (USA).... All in engineering (so i wont consider the figure impressive however its not an entry position and that is my basic pay so there are other benefits). i have paid work experience in the Uk and US and took up an unpaid work experience in an Oil & gas servicing company in Nigeria for about 6 months. needless to say i am well educated but without enough experience in my chosen field and this offer hopes to fill that void.

if you also want to ask why am i not eager to come back to Nigeria? the economy seems fairly unstable now, Iran deal is sure to devastate the oil sector further and destabilize the Nigerian economy even more for those that understand the vicissitudes of the Iran deal. I do have access to getting residency papers in the USA which will coincide with the time i finish my research or a few months after without doing anything shady or sinister (most of my family are here anyway). I am also fully aware that with or without papers, jobs are not automatic any where but you will agree with me that its a little easier abroad than in Nigeria. a good example is the current offer i am considering where i still needed an introduction to setup the interviews and even though i did all the grunt work, i wont have even gotten in the door without knowing someone. The company as a matter of policy does not even advertise positions.

A little about the company: international company with huge investment portfolio in the millions of dollars, where its based should not be important but its on the island. cant reveal more than that about the company.

[b]please let me know what you think or what you would do in my shoes. Also i would be happy to answer any questions that help you offer better advise provided its something i can reveal[/b]

Thanks in advance

More than 40million Nigerian youths(graduates) are looking for this kinda perfect job opportunity & you here asking questions.
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by enygmababe: 8:50am On Jul 30, 2015
jaybee3:

400K is barely $1.7K per month
That's peanut for someone with relevant engineering degrees in the oil and gas industry

An offer he can't refuse should be in the region of 1M+ per month

My bad, I only mentioned the allowance because of the way people kept saying 'just 250k'. By the way, 400K is not a bad deal to start for a young single guy in Nigeria. When considering loving expenses in Nigeria we we should talk naira.

I did emphasis completing his program. In any case, I know Jack about 'iran deal' too. He entertains fears about getting a Job there because of lack of experience and mentioned how some of his friends lost their Jobs but got others within weeks. (Being a newbie there he does not know if he would be so lucky) If that is a huge factor then my advice to come and hold on to this while he seeks opportunities in the form of Job that will take him back.
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by seangy4konji: 8:50am On Jul 30, 2015
guy y u wan settle for less

she na dat fiancee toto sweet like this

how long are you going to work for before you insure your life,your kids,your kids?future as educated as you are with 250kGod forbid retrenchment..you start lobbying again

collect your paper and stay there...

dat 2k usd no gree enough for quilox on a bubbling night or a good tv an educated pperson like you soppose put for room and not sitting room...

No let the witches 4 ur village laugh last oooo...

i don tell you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Daintilicious(f): 8:50am On Jul 30, 2015
Stay there o, we never know when we would have ministers in Nigeria and the dollar is rising

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by InvertedHammer: 8:52am On Jul 30, 2015
/
Job security?

It's better not be in banking or oil companies.

Huge layoffs in the horizon.

You have better prospects in US than Nigeria.

You want to relocate to Nigeria because of $1200/month. Are you crazy?

Worst of all, you are considering this in this period of uncertainty.
/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Nobody: 8:53am On Jul 30, 2015
jaybee3:

Fresh graduates in Oil and gas engineering firms in the UK earn as much as £37K in their first year but salary structure aren't comparable as they are expected to earn more in African countries due to obvious reasons (Security, cost of having a good basic standard of living et al)
You are correct.when you earn that £37k,it is before tax.When you see your pay slip after the deductions,you feel indifferent.It is more like you are working for others to eat! lol. An equivalent job in Nigeria is better in this instance.

1 Like

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Nobody: 8:53am On Jul 30, 2015
Daintilicious:
Stay there o, we never know when we would have ministers in Nigeria and the dollar is rising
lol
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by congi(m): 8:54am On Jul 30, 2015
Anonymous1900:
Hello Everyone

Let me start by saying this is not an opportunity to judge or criticize my decisions or lack of it there of. I would also try to be as open and forthcoming as possible regarding all information to help you offer any opinions either from personal experience of inferred ideas.

I already have a direction am inclined to lean towards but its not set in stone and am very much open to ideas from others (I actually welcome it as i like to be thorough and get all the information i can have before making decisions)

I was recently offered a position in Nigeria due to start in a month at the latest however i am currently rounding off a research program in the united states (6 months to finish). The prospective employer will not defer the position till i finish in 6 months time. I had interviews with the vice president of the company when i was in Nigeria last year and a couple of other interviews but i guess due to the instability of the economy (elections and all), the offer never materialized till now. i consider the offer a place to start and while I cant be specific about the exact figure here, its upwards of 250k/month after Tax.

Before you make your decisions based on the offer or my current academic situation, here is a little about me. I have a BSc (Nigeria), MSc (Uk) and MEng (USA).... All in engineering (so i wont consider the figure impressive however its not an entry position and that is my basic pay so there are other benefits). i have paid work experience in the Uk and US and took up an unpaid work experience in an Oil & gas servicing company in Nigeria for about 6 months. needless to say i am well educated but without enough experience in my chosen field and this offer hopes to fill that void.

if you also want to ask why am i not eager to come back to Nigeria? the economy seems fairly unstable now, Iran deal is sure to devastate the oil sector further and destabilize the Nigerian economy even more for those that understand the vicissitudes of the Iran deal. I do have access to getting residency papers in the USA which will coincide with the time i finish my research or a few months after without doing anything shady or sinister (most of my family are here anyway). I am also fully aware that with or without papers, jobs are not automatic any where but you will agree with me that its a little easier abroad than in Nigeria. a good example is the current offer i am considering where i still needed an introduction to setup the interviews and even though i did all the grunt work, i wont have even gotten in the door without knowing someone. The company as a matter of policy does not even advertise positions.

A little about the company: international company with huge investment portfolio in the millions of dollars, where its based should not be important but its on the island. cant reveal more than that about the company.

[b]please let me know what you think or what you would do in my shoes. Also i would be happy to answer any questions that help you offer better advise provided its something i can reveal[/b]

Thanks in advance

Simple! Finish your research, get your permit. Should you ever decide to move back home, there will certainly be other opportunities. At the moment, the economy is in shambles. Please don't gamble.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by jaybee3(m): 8:57am On Jul 30, 2015
enygmababe:

My bad, I only mentioned the allowance because of the way, people kept saying 'just 250k'. By the way, 400K is not a bad deal for a young single guy in Nigeria. When considering loving expenses in Nigeria we we should talk naira.

I did emphasis completing his program. In any case, I know Jack about 'iran deal' too. He entertains fears about getting a Job there because of lack of experience and mentioned how some of his friends lost their Jobs but got others within weeks. (Being a newbie there he does not know if he would be so lucky) If that is a huge factor then my advice to come and hold on to this while he seeks opportunities in the form of Job that will take him back.

Let's ignore minimum wage and basic standard of living for now.....
400K isn't a lot especially if he has to live and work somewhere on the Island

Think about rent, cost of generating his own electricity, food, healthcare etc.

Iran being able to sign the nuclear deal means they will be able to sell their own oil. Oil prices are currently falling due to over supply. If the prices have already fallen due to over supply then surely opening Iran to the market will also add extra pressure on prices.

We already have countries pumping extra oil into the market, there is also the rise of shale oil in america and the new beast Iran oil with proven gigantic reserve bla bla bla which will almost certainly affect our ability to find prospective buyers

If the oil company can't sell their commodity then they will start downsizing which obviously means loss of Jobs

Shell just announced today that they are shedding 6500 staff globally

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by kayve(m): 8:58am On Jul 30, 2015
Hi, I think it's understandable for someone to be confused in such a situation, not knowing which option to go for but my candid advise to you is this;

1- Nobody knows what you desire like you do so asking people is not totally bad but may lead to you being more confused.

2- Ask God in prayers, I dunno if you're a christian or Muslim but I believe God knows the best for each and everyone of us. God won't lead you astray, He sees the future & knows which is best for you.

3- After praying, check out for the one which gives you peace of mind from both options. Whatever God has put His hand into always brings peace to the owner.

N.B; if I was to decide for you, I will tell you to finish your research, most likely you will get you resident permit & get something good over there.
God will give you a answer of peace, all the best.
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Originalsly: 9:02am On Jul 30, 2015
"I already have a decision I am inclined to lean towards"..... i guess taking up the job offer in Nigeria. At this point I think that would be a bad decision.....a decision of the heart. You just mentioned your basic take home salary but not the incentives. Would they provide you a house, car and other allowances like cabinet members? If the company is an international one with the millions and millions portfolio or whatever. .. is that all they can offer you with such qualifications? Putting that aside....you have degrees but little experience. Your present project is one to have a lot of weight internationally on your resume...experience in the US.Why would you even consider abandoning it to take up a job without guarantees? What is your Plan B if you take up the job and it doesn't work out? Your family is resident in the US....what support would you have in Nigeria?...your fincee? You do not have US residency papers....don't you think you should secure that first before setting off on any such adventure as this one? You talk as if you can run into US Immigration anytime to just pick up residency papers. Without them...you are shutting yourself out from any job opportunity that may arise in the US after your project...opportunities that can give you experience and a better chance of getting better job offers here in Nigeria. I suggest you stay where you are and inform the company you would be unable to accept their offer within that deadline.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by bellabello(m): 9:03am On Jul 30, 2015
Think very well when we are talking about Nigeria we are talking about insecurity, lack of prosperity economic crisis etc, for me stay there with rest of mind is better far than to come back
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by mrkings84(m): 9:08am On Jul 30, 2015
Pray u choose rightly from d various contributions!!!

Meanwhile, DO YOU KNOW YOU CAN BECOME AN EXTRAORDINARY MILLIONAIRE TOMORROW JUST BY JOINING ALLIANCE IN MOTION GLOBAL TODAY??
In AIM GLOBAL, people from all works of life are making it big with this mind blowing networking company. Pls don't say u were not told!!
For more info call or WhatsApp 08034704620. BBM Pin 562006D1
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by ritze(m): 9:12am On Jul 30, 2015
I will simply advice you to stay back in the usa.
250k is not in anyway 'some benjamin' and for the bonuses and benefits attached to it,it will only commensurate the the 250k pay which is not in anyway a cool figure.
*Think about rent
*Think of the stress in traffic
*Fuel queue wahala
*Security (no matter what,you cant compare both)
*How soon can you get another job if you happen to be fired?

Bruv, stay where you are!
Get your papers,legit!
Gather enough experience abroad!
Extend your job search to other countries ie canada/aussie, germany,norway or even singapore.

When you have 5 - 8 yrs working abroad in your FIELD, no coy in naija will offer you anything in that range.
You should be negiotiating in the region of 20m p/a.

NB : Ensure you have your citizenship too, in case you come to naija and the ground no wan level, sharply you go fit katapot back.
My 2dallassi though
Best of Luck in your future endeavour.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by wristbangle: 9:12am On Jul 30, 2015
OP, enough advice has been given to you.

If I am you, I will complete the research program and ensure I collect my residential paper albeit forfeiting the job offer in Nigeria due to the economy instability which we are all praying one day it will get better.

Despite the fact that it's quite tough over there, it can't be compare to this place as for the main time you can pick up a job that will sustain your living till a better offer surface.

Please stay in the USA. Build your career over there and bring such investment into Nigeria.

Regards.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by tyor: 9:13am On Jul 30, 2015
My Guy, dnt comeback unless u get an offer of $5000 after-tax. Do your PPP analysis.... U're better doing internship with a Ford Motor in Detroit (with NO PAY) than to take up N250k in Naija. If u want more info send me an email, i'd give u in depth analysis.

But if you are stranded in the States, take d job. You sound too ambitious for N250k.
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Sparkles003(f): 9:16am On Jul 30, 2015
With all your qualification the Nigerian company should be open to negotiation.so negotiate your resumption date to suit with the completion of your course and your residence card with the company in Nigeria,if they refuse forget it and keep applying you would see a better job but if you choose to come back make sure you do not sign any bonding contract with that company cos if God be on your side you would see much better offers than theirs.
Note:if you do not have accommodation in Nigeria forget relatives request for one.

1 Like

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by viju17(f): 9:20am On Jul 30, 2015
Anonymous1900:

Thanks but no thanks, i leave the gambling to the casinos when i visit on weekends
evidence of Korea movies
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by aameyah(f): 9:21am On Jul 30, 2015
Anonymous1900:
Hello Everyone

Thanks in advance

I like your honesty about how you went about the application process. Makes for a smoother read than those who would come for advice conveniently leaving out how they got there in the first place. Forgetting people would learn if they were more forthcoming.
And I think you should finish your programme. 250k is not really worth abandoning what you're doing for. What about the opportunities this research work would open up.When will you get such a chance to embark on that type of program again?

Jobs come and go. You can even buy one if you know the right people at the right places. Or get one for free even if you arent qualified as has been happening (annoying I know).
But the knowledge you are gaining now cannot be bought.

Since you have links in the company, you might even get a higher offer and higher pay in future.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by AreaFada2: 9:21am On Jul 30, 2015
freesinzu:
G
G for guava. grin cheesy
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by ritze(m): 9:22am On Jul 30, 2015
mrkings84:
Pray u choose rightly from d various contributions!!!

Meanwhile, DO YOU KNOW YOU CAN BECOME AN
EXTRAORDINARY MILLIONAIRE TOMORROW JUST
BY JOINING ALLIANCE IN MOTION GLOBAL
TODAY??

In AIM GLOBAL, people from all works of life are
making it big with this mind blowing networking
company. Pls don't say u were not told!!

For more info call or WhatsApp 08034704620.
BBM Pin 562006D1

Can you stop this poo!!!
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by henryadex(m): 9:26am On Jul 30, 2015
Except the nostalgia of eba and pounded yam is catching up on you stay there and pray for divine favour. I made a payment online with my debit card on Monday i was charged N240 to one $1 so before you pack your belongings to Nigeria it might have gone to N260 to $1 so you will be earning Less than $1k with your newly proposed job Think positive

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by stankezzy: 9:28am On Jul 30, 2015
oga y beter come back ; how many busineses or houses have u ever seen and they tell u dis guy is in us or uk very few.
i am an engineer and did a training in one of d major oil company in nigeria, my cordinator and some of my seniors studied abroad and they were worshiped like king ,if i tell u how much they were paid u will shout ,most oil companys even pay in dollers.
no or small tax,u earn in dollers and spend in naira plus advantage say u dey home.
as a blackman and an african ,d position a white man will put u even with all dis ur degrees will be humiliating. except if u wan to be a teacher ,primary ,secondary or university. whites dont like teaching .most lecturers are blacks. they will place u high and u make a lot of cash but not to compare an oil worker in nija.
why i have all dis ideas is becos some of my brothers day usa and studied profetional course and i know what they earn.
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Nobody: 9:29am On Jul 30, 2015
#250k=$1k or < £1k. Why waste your energy in Nigeria while you can get relatively more in the UK or US? Nigeria is unstable. Those other countries are. Wish you well in your decision making.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by OneDemola: 9:30am On Jul 30, 2015
If you were to take the offer, make sure you negotiate a relocation allowance, and a base of 250k is surely not sufficient to survive in Lagos, if you're going to deal with recurring expenses.
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Evathyst(f): 9:33am On Jul 30, 2015
Yomieluv:
Mere thinking of coming back home now with the prospect in the place you are presently,I will assume the witches in your village are using your picture to fan themselves...
This got me laughing. Guy, shey the OP offend you before ni? grin

But come to think of it, it's the most sincere advise anyone could offer on this particular issue. 250K in an unstable economy like ours? Compared to a good job prospect oversea? You're right, I guess the witches in the OP's village just renewed their subscription on top his matter if he doesn't know what to choose. Lolz!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by EDhims(m): 9:33am On Jul 30, 2015
please is there any Nairalander studying in Austria ?. I need some info on my legalization of documents
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Tloc(m): 9:34am On Jul 30, 2015
Finish the program you are running cos when you start working in Nigeria, especially Lagos no time for studies. It also gives you better academic leverage. Work on the island and no sh*tty time for other stuff.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Much Does NPC Pays Their Adhoc Staff? / Already Frustrated With My New Job / Entry Level Graduate Recruitment At Etisalat, February 2017

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.