Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,893 members, 7,802,875 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:37 AM

An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer - Jobs/Vacancies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer (31314 Views)

10 Things A Graduate Should Do While Waiting For A Good Job Offer / How Lil Kesh's Song, "Efejoku" Made Me Lose A Job Offer / 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by mchuxx(m): 3:29pm On Jul 30, 2015
I will advice you to stay back in the US for the following reasons;

1. Complete your education which u have 6months remaining.

2. U already have got work experience and good education, start immediately to apply for positions here in US even before u complete the 6months

3. Get your residency, give your family and kids better access and immediate response to quality healthcare, education and other social amenities. (Govt. most times fund 100% of these costs )

4. You don't need a N250k Nigerian salary. That's peanut , even in Nigeria when kids and family is involved. And because u pay you way through everything in Nigeria like Fuel for Gen set, fuel for Car etc. in event of emergency- U are still on your own.

5. The economy is not good at this time. (Business is not smiling now). N250k is roughly equivalent to $1000 usd. This is a chump change.
A naija friend who recently finished a Bsc Chem engr in TX landed a $90,000 job per annum in a multinational engineering firm. Note , he has no previous experience apart from industrial attachment experience. That's a good salary even from American standard. You too can do same, if u look hard enough.

6. Opportunities for Jobs abound in US, and most likely u will turn down offers to get a better pay as long as u have a clean record and green card unlike in Naija where a graduate may not even land a N30k job years after graduating.

I will cap it up with this: Stay back, garner work experience, establish your family here, invest in Nigeria and if better opportunity pops up in Nigeria-then accept it and move back. my 2cents

3 Likes

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by ayandee: 3:29pm On Jul 30, 2015
I made my comment based on the facts contained in his post. My view would be different if all these variables are included in the post.
Sagamite:

What if his benefits includes:

- A 2 bedroom fully-serviced flat in Ikoyi that is 10 minutes drive from his office OR N6m a year housing allowance (cash equivalent).
- A Toyota Prado with a driver that is all expense paid or annual cash equivalent of N2m.
- Relocation allowance of N6m.
- Full Health insurance and access to top private hospitals.
- 80% bonus potential.

Is the offer still small?
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Ralphlauren(m): 3:33pm On Jul 30, 2015
Anonymous1900:
At sagamite;

i appreciate your input but i must implore you to please refrain from attacking other contributors verbally or otherwise (that is referred to as cyber bullying) .

I would be very greatful if you don't scare away potential contributors with your harsh rhetorics, everyone is entitled to their opinion just like you and i don't want this thread to be diverted from its main purpose.

Thanks for your understanding

hahahahahha.

1 Like

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by ttmacoy: 3:40pm On Jul 30, 2015
If I were him I would finish my program and try to gain some experience in the US while also securing my residency. I strongly believe in giving yourself options as you don't know what can happen in the future.

After a few years of experience he can always get a better paying job in Nigeria and also knows if it comes to the worse he can always return to the US.

It also depends on what he wants as well I guess. I enjoy the lifestyle in the US. yes there are some things I miss about Nigeria, but overall I enjoy the lifestyle here better. Not everyone will e.g. my cousin loves the naija life with owanbe etc and i don't. We're different.

For example there was a thread yesterday about riding bicycles to work and how some people were saying you can't do that in Nigeria because it is not safe but also because people will look down on you, but I love being able to cycle to work and not have anyone look down on me or make assumptions.

The way I see it I will revise and make the best decisions for me and my family based on the opportunities available and lifestyle choices and not because I must be in Nigeria. IF at a certain point being in Nigeria makes more sense then we will consider, but at this point being in the US makes more sense.

Forward1:

yeah, only him can decide. If i may ask; if you were in his shoe what would you have done? Be candid.

1 Like

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Goldenboy007(m): 3:48pm On Jul 30, 2015
Lawd gawd !!!! The first decision you need to make is to get self worth !!!! N250k?? That's like $8 per hr job in US...lower than minimum wage !!!! And you have an MSc from UK and US? Even if you are flipping burger in McDonald you will earn more than that. Set higher bar for yourself, life is a risk. Better to live with mistakes than to die of regrets ! Brush up your cv and get a good internship with a company here that can lead to permanent job and stay ! You know your earning potential with MSc is $60k and above..that's roughly N1m a month compared to your N250k.

1 Like

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by olsmade(m): 4:23pm On Jul 30, 2015
Goldenboy007:
Lawd gawd !!!! The first decision you need to make is to get self worth !!!! N250k?? That's like $8 per hr job in US...lower than minimum wage !!!! And you have an MSc from UK and US? Even if you are flipping burger in McDonald you will earn more than that. Set higher bar for yourself, life is a risk. Better to live with mistakes than to die of regrets ! Brush up your cv and get a good internship with a company here that can lead to permanent job and stay ! You know your earning potential with MSc is $60k and above..that's roughly N1m a month compared to your N250k.

Exactly. I wouldn't even consider it for half a second. With all his qualifications, he will definitely find a job in the U.S. At all at all na hin bad. U.S. Is not UK na. And no job, as e fit bad reach, will pay you that low in the U.S. after tax except you are flipping burger

1 Like

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by 989900: 4:35pm On Jul 30, 2015
The fiancee. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by CriticalThought: 4:50pm On Jul 30, 2015
Anonymous1900:
Hello Everyone

Let me start by saying this is not an opportunity to judge or criticize my decisions or lack of it there of. I would also try to be as open and forthcoming as possible regarding all information to help you offer any opinions either from personal experience of inferred ideas.

I already have a direction am inclined to lean towards but its not set in stone and am very much open to ideas from others (I actually welcome it as i like to be thorough and get all the information i can have before making decisions)

I was recently offered a position in Nigeria due to start in a month at the latest however i am currently rounding off a research program in the united states (6 months to finish). The prospective employer will not defer the position till i finish in 6 months time. I had interviews with the vice president of the company when i was in Nigeria last year and a couple of other interviews but i guess due to the instability of the economy (elections and all), the offer never materialized till now. i consider the offer a place to start and while I cant be specific about the exact figure here, its upwards of 250k/month after Tax.

Before you make your decisions based on the offer or my current academic situation, here is a little about me. I have a BSc (Nigeria), MSc (Uk) and MEng (USA).... All in engineering (so i wont consider the figure impressive however its not an entry position and that is my basic pay so there are other benefits). i have paid work experience in the Uk and US and took up an unpaid work experience in an Oil & gas servicing company in Nigeria for about 6 months. needless to say i am well educated but without enough experience in my chosen field and this offer hopes to fill that void.

if you also want to ask why am i not eager to come back to Nigeria? the economy seems fairly unstable now, Iran deal is sure to devastate the oil sector further and destabilize the Nigerian economy even more for those that understand the vicissitudes of the Iran deal. I do have access to getting residency papers in the USA which will coincide with the time i finish my research or a few months after without doing anything shady or sinister (most of my family are here anyway). I am also fully aware that with or without papers, jobs are not automatic any where but you will agree with me that its a little easier abroad than in Nigeria. a good example is the current offer i am considering where i still needed an introduction to setup the interviews and even though i did all the grunt work, i wont have even gotten in the door without knowing someone. The company as a matter of policy does not even advertise positions.

A little about the company: international company with huge investment portfolio in the millions of dollars, where its based should not be important but its on the island. cant reveal more than that about the company.

[b]please let me know what you think or what you would do in my shoes. Also i would be happy to answer any questions that help you offer better advise provided its something i can reveal[/b]

Thanks in advance

Don't be swayed by the job offer, there will always be jobs out there

First step is to finish your studies, then ensure you have a green card. The GC will give you that flexibility to go in and out as you please. You will now have access to both the Nigerian and US market.

1 Like

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Fawwaz05(m): 5:30pm On Jul 30, 2015
My brother,

I think you should seriously consider taking the offer. Experience is everything! You stated that the company is multinational. With your background, you may actually end up in the UK or US arm of the organization after a few years. Even if that's not the case, I see you climbing in your career and getting hotter in the market as the years roll by.

A whole lot of people think forex when they hear US or UK. I would rather be a small Master than a big servant.

Secure your job, there'll always be opportunities for courses, both local and international.

Living in the US without a good job won't ever get you ahead of your peers.

May God guide you as you come to your own decision.

Cheers bro
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Forward1(m): 5:42pm On Jul 30, 2015
ttmacoy:
If I were him I would finish my program and try to gain some experience in the US while also securing my residency. I strongly believe in giving yourself options as you don't know what can happen in the future.

After a few years of experience he can always get a better paying job in Nigeria and also knows if it comes to the worse he can always return to the US.

It also depends on what he wants as well I guess. I enjoy the lifestyle in the US. yes there are some things I miss about Nigeria, but overall I enjoy the lifestyle here better. Not everyone will e.g. my cousin loves the naija life with owanbe etc and i don't. We're different.

For example there was a thread yesterday about riding bicycles to work and how some people were saying you can't do that in Nigeria because it is not safe but also because people will look down on you, but I love being able to cycle to work and not have anyone look down on me or make assumptions.

The way I see it I will revise and make the best decisions for me and my family based on the opportunities available and lifestyle choices and not because I must be in Nigeria. IF at a certain point being in Nigeria makes more sense then we will consider, but at this point being in the US makes more sense.

hmmm.... I guess I'll do same as outlined by you but i'll sure return to Nig after getting residency and having my kids. I love the part where you make mention of "giving yourself options". Nice one
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by ttmacoy: 5:51pm On Jul 30, 2015
That very valid as well. Important thing is is are making a decision based on what you want and where make you happy with fulfilled.

For me I prefer the stability of the US for my family and I also struggle with the fact that with the way our educational sector is going, I would then have to send my kids back abroad for studies at least higher education. Why not bring them up in that settings so they are fully integrated and can benefit from the many advantages those coming from abroad can't.

There's also also practicality of maintaining a green card while living abroad. You have to be very careful so as not to be seen to have abandoned your residency by US immigration.

But all in all everyone of us are different and what makes happy is different as well.

Forward1:

hmmm.... I guess I'll do same as outlined by you but i'll sure return to Nig after getting residency and having my kids. I love the part where you make mention of "giving yourself options". Nice one
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by whodeyhere: 6:01pm On Jul 30, 2015
If I were you, I will consider completing the research and hope to get a good job afterward. I will not come to Nigeria, it just does not worth it, not the salary not the country for now.
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by bxcode(m): 6:18pm On Jul 30, 2015
Sagamite:

Another useless Nigerian. smh. undecided
God bless you sir wink
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by daillest: 6:38pm On Jul 30, 2015
z

2 Likes

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by flyforall: 6:41pm On Jul 30, 2015
1.Get your papers before rushing to come to Nigeria.
2. If the job will give you a lot of experience the money will always come with time.
3. Weigh your options and take a position where you will gain experience and remuneration be it overseas or Nigeria.
4. With the right experience I'm sure they will be room for growth and promotion.

1 Like

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Mixty: 7:04pm On Jul 30, 2015
Sagamite:

What if his benefits includes:

- A 2 bedroom fully-serviced flat in Ikoyi that is 10 minutes drive from his office OR N6m a year housing allowance (cash equivalent).
- A Toyota Prado with a driver that is all expense paid or annual cash equivalent of N2m.
- Relocation allowance of N6m.
- Full Health insurance and access to top private hospitals.
- 80% bonus potential.

Is the offer still small?
I meet this empty-headed negro again angry angry
Must you always display your silliness? Common sense should tell you that a 250k job as described by the op can not come with such benefit. Anyway, common sense is not common. undecided

1 Like

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Mixty: 7:09pm On Jul 30, 2015
Goldenboy007:
Ode
Cost of living are not the same in both countries. Why make such sharp comparison?

1 Like

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Mixty: 7:10pm On Jul 30, 2015
mchuxx:
I will advice you to stay back in the US for the following reasons;

1. Complete your education which u have 6months remaining.

2. U already have got work experience and good education, start immediately to apply for positions here in US even before u complete the 6months

3. Get your residency, give your family and kids better access and immediate response to quality healthcare, education and other social amenities. (Govt. most times fund 100% of these costs )

4. You don't need a N250k Nigerian salary. That's peanut , even in Nigeria when kids and family is involved. And because u pay you way through everything in Nigeria like Fuel for Gen set, fuel for Car etc. in event of emergency- U are still on your own.

5. The economy is not good at this time. (Business is not smiling now). N250k is roughly equivalent to $1000 usd. This is a chump change.
A naija friend who recently finished a Bsc Chem engr in TX landed a $90,000 job per annum in a multinational engineering firm. Note , he has no previous experience apart from industrial attachment experience. That's a good salary even from American standard. You too can do same, if u look hard enough.

6. Opportunities for Jobs abound in US, and most likely u will turn down offers to get a better pay as long as u have a clean record and green card unlike in Naija where a graduate may not even land a N30k job years after graduating.

I will cap it up with this: Stay back, garner work experience, establish your family here, invest in Nigeria and if better opportunity pops up in Nigeria-then accept it and move back. my 2cents
Good response, in my opinion.
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by kpolli(m): 7:22pm On Jul 30, 2015
Anonymous1900:
Hello Everyone

Let me start by saying this is not an opportunity to judge or criticize my decisions or lack of it there of. I would also try to be as open and forthcoming as possible regarding all information to help you offer any opinions either from personal experience of inferred ideas.

I already have a direction am inclined to lean towards but its not set in stone and am very much open to ideas from others (I actually welcome it as i like to be thorough and get all the information i can have before making decisions)

I was recently offered a position in Nigeria due to start in a month at the latest however i am currently rounding off a research program in the united states (6 months to finish). The prospective employer will not defer the position till i finish in 6 months time. I had interviews with the vice president of the company when i was in Nigeria last year and a couple of other interviews but i guess due to the instability of the economy (elections and all), the offer never materialized till now. i consider the offer a place to start and while I cant be specific about the exact figure here, its upwards of 250k/month after Tax.

Before you make your decisions based on the offer or my current academic situation, here is a little about me. I have a BSc (Nigeria), MSc (Uk) and MEng (USA).... All in engineering (so i wont consider the figure impressive however its not an entry position and that is my basic pay so there are other benefits). i have paid work experience in the Uk and US and took up an unpaid work experience in an Oil & gas servicing company in Nigeria for about 6 months. needless to say i am well educated but without enough experience in my chosen field and this offer hopes to fill that void.

if you also want to ask why am i not eager to come back to Nigeria? the economy seems fairly unstable now, Iran deal is sure to devastate the oil sector further and destabilize the Nigerian economy even more for those that understand the vicissitudes of the Iran deal. I do have access to getting residency papers in the USA which will coincide with the time i finish my research or a few months after without doing anything shady or sinister (most of my family are here anyway). I am also fully aware that with or without papers, jobs are not automatic any where but you will agree with me that its a little easier abroad than in Nigeria. a good example is the current offer i am considering where i still needed an introduction to setup the interviews and even though i did all the grunt work, i wont have even gotten in the door without knowing someone. The company as a matter of policy does not even advertise positions.

A little about the company: international company with huge investment portfolio in the millions of dollars, where its based should not be important but its on the island. cant reveal more than that about the company.

[b]please let me know what you think or what you would do in my shoes. Also i would be happy to answer any questions that help you offer better advise provided its something i can reveal[/b]

Thanks in advance

My assumption is that you're 6 months away from getting a PhD and your prospective employer won't wait.... For this reason, I suggest you stay here and finish what you started before starting work. Imagine if you come and (God forbid) they lay you off soon after.... Finish that degree, remember oil companies are laying off over here in the US, Nigeria won't be different. So get that better bargaining chip

1 Like

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Sagamite(m): 7:51pm On Jul 30, 2015
bxcode:

God bless you sir wink

Tufiakwa!

I reject that in the name of Jesus. angry

I return to sender in the name of Jesu Oluwa. angry

May you God of Isreal never bless me.

Na Sango, Obantala, Ogun, Yemoja and co that must to bless me in the name of Jesus ............................and name of Mohammed (the one true prophet).

Hallelu...................
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by ezenik: 7:51pm On Jul 30, 2015
My advice to you,for now with the qualification you've gotten there there is chances of geting job there with time,and for now in Nigeria please don't come for the job. You may plan after you are little bit okay there. God bless you.
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Sagamite(m): 7:53pm On Jul 30, 2015
Mixty:

Must you always display your silliness? Common sense should tell you that a 250k job as described by the op can not come with such benefit. Anyway, common sense is not common. undecided

You are a cretinous fuuktard!

First of all, what do you know about job offers while you are still jobless looking for a job?

Secondly, fuuktard, are you too dumb to note he said 250K+, not 250K?

Cretin! They didn't teach you what 250K+ means in the failed education system? grin

You are the one talking about common sense and displaying silliness? grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Sagamite(m): 7:55pm On Jul 30, 2015
ayandee:
I made my comment based on the facts contained in his post. My view would be different if all these variables are included in the post.

Thanks. That is it!

My point is made. With the information he gave, any advice giving can end up being useless not because the advisor is useless.
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jul 30, 2015
Mixty:

but you don't have any either
You left your village for lagos just to fvck some cheap prostitutus
Why do you love prostitutes so much?
Don't take it personal
Just give me an answer
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Nobody: 8:10pm On Jul 30, 2015
Sagamite:

First of all, what do you know about job offers while you are still jobless looking for a job?

Cretin! They didn't teach you what 250K+ would mean in the failed education system? grin

You are the one talking about common sense and displaying silliness? grin grin grin grin grin grin
pls,leave the jobless boy alone
He doesn't know what he is talking about
He is a jobless douchebag
All he does now is to fvck cheap prostitutes from one joint to another
Drink shepe and type rubbish online to console himself
That is what he does daily
To think he told everybody in ashawo thread that he left his village for lagos just to get the cheapest prostitute defines him and his pitiable IQ
Please have mercy on him
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by jcbillion(m): 8:32pm On Jul 30, 2015
Which day will such a question be asked the other way...? Like can I leave 9ja for a job opening in the US? #lool

1 Like

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Mixty: 8:35pm On Jul 30, 2015
Sagamite:

Cretin! They didn't teach you what 250K+ means in the failed education system? grin

You lack basic arthimetic skills eventhough you claim to have As in your mathematics courses. LIES sad
Someone gives you an approximate salary figure of 250k and your poor mathematical skill rounds it up to millions of Naira?
Are you really that daft, for real?
Your case is hopeless.
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Nobody: 8:47pm On Jul 30, 2015
ttmacoy:
Many do. And the fact he can get his green card means he had more chances to.

There are lots of Jobs in the UK and the US, the main issue is many thanks the employers ar not willing to sponsor to work permit, but if you already have papers there are jobs.

for real @ many .. fresh grad. I see u know nothing abouth the uk . Ask those who have been there and are back home. Am not advising he comes back home . My point is, it is not easy anywhere as people that have not left the shores of this country do say

1 Like

Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jul 30, 2015
jaybee3:

That's no reason to undervalue oneself

He has experience with relevant qualifications so no point making himself desperate

We are talking about engineering not some social science course
did you read where he saidbhe has not got relevant experience. Read my posts properly .i am not advising he abadons his program. Folks should stop talking like onebcan become a millionaire overnight abroad
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Goldenboy007(m): 8:56pm On Jul 30, 2015
Mixty:

Ode
Cost of living are not the same in both countries. Why make such sharp comparison?

Hey nonentity, are you demented or intellectually incapacitated? Why do kids of nowadays lack decorum and civility ? Is it that you are incapable of making sensible contribution without being condescending ? what do you know about cost of living? Even if you are deficient in home training , is your IQ low too? Nuisances like you come online but your brains remain offline !!!
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by ttmacoy: 8:57pm On Jul 30, 2015
While I admit with the recent tightening of the immigration laws, it is harder in palces like the Uk, but those who attend the top schools have a lot more chances.

Also you would see in my post that I said the issue is not lack of jobs, but one of work permit, and given he has the opportunity to get a green card that eliminates that issue.

The main problem i see with our students going to the UK is lack of proper planning and this trend of looking for the cheap universities with easy entry requirements. Also many of them are going for 1 year masters degree which means they have no opportunity to go through internships which makes applying for graduate roles very very hard.

Another issue i see is they simply do not understand the UK recruitment system/cycle and many of them wait till they finish their program to start looking for work by which time all grad roles with the big employers who can sponsor for work permits have long closed.

For the OP he has extensive study experience abroad and combined with the fact he has also worked and can get a green card he can easily get a job.

I repeat there are jobs for those with the skillset and experience required and importantly with the papers to work, and as I said I admit things are harder now with the tightening UK laws, but for those who attend good schools, are able to secure internships while in school and know what they are doing, they can still get jobs.

majekdom2:
for real @ many .. fresh grad. I see u know nothing abouth the uk . Ask those who have been there and are back home. Am not advising he comes back home . My point is, it is not easy anywhere as people that have not left the shores of this country do say
Re: An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jul 30, 2015
ttmacoy:
I would expect he earns minimum $70k with prospects for a lot mor based on his qualifications. Depending on where he is living i.e. aside the likes of NY or LA, that I worth a lot and can afford him a good start with good disposable income.

On the like for like basis i.e. professional al job to professional job you cannot even compare salaries.

Another point with Nigeria is the man know man issue. I have a friend who got a job at Glo thorough his uncle. He hates the job as he is not learning much and not progressing much, and worse he was transferred to Ghana, but because he cannot ge another job he is now stuck in Ghana in a role he hates.

In the US you get jobs mostly based on your skills and experience and are not tied to any employer. You have freedom.

Also the fact he has 6 months left on a 4 year PhD program and nearly getting his residency I don't think N250k is worth dumping his PhD with 6 months to go and his residency.

I know someone else who earns good pay, not the level of millions a month by good pay yet the stress. She leaves home 5am just to avoid traffic and after work stays at her mother in law till 11pm. What kind of life is that?

the fact that ur friend hates his job does not mean he will or everyone will. The fact that e got it through connect does not mean everyone has to. I got mine by grace , i did not know anyone. I presently work 6 months a year and 6 months off by calculation with great pay. Dont judge or give advices based on your standards. One is not tied to any employer too in nigeria. Lastime i checked some colleagues just changed jobs. I am not advising he dumps his program, you dont have to talk down the country is my point

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Much Does NPC Pays Their Adhoc Staff? / Already Frustrated With My New Job / Entry Level Graduate Recruitment At Etisalat, February 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.