Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,875 members, 7,802,809 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:14 PM

How Do Routers Work? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How Do Routers Work? (1655 Views)

Huawei Wireless Routers Unlocker - E5172, 5180 & B310 LTE / Cheap And Reliable High Quality Network Routers / Huawei Wireless Routers Unlocker - E5172, 5180 & B310 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do Routers Work? by Mobsync(m): 4:07pm On Jul 30, 2015
I've used Google but still haven't gotten a definite and straight answer.

Do routers boost incoming service? I mean, if I connect my modem to a router, would it increase (strengthen) the service it gets from my Internet service provider?

In other words, if my the service from my Internet service provider is weak (e.g. 2 bars) would a router increase it to maybe four or five bars?
Re: How Do Routers Work? by 3kay945(m): 4:28pm On Jul 30, 2015
Cool down , patient and try Google again. You will be glad you did.
Re: How Do Routers Work? by Fulaman198(m): 5:09pm On Jul 30, 2015
Routers work by forwarding traffic to another network. In other words, A Router looks at a table for an IP address to another network and acts as a gateway to get you to that destination.

For example, (I don't want to make this complex for you) when you type in www.google.com in your browser, your DNS server converts the IP address to text for Google.com and your router looks in its routing table for the "google.com" entry and if it doesn't see that entry in its routing table, it forwards your entry to another router or hosted network that may have that google.com entry. All of this happens in a matter of milliseconds (dependant on your connection and ISP)

Please let me know if you need a further explanation. I did not want to get too technical because I'm not sure how technical you are as a person.
Re: How Do Routers Work? by Fulaman198(m): 5:11pm On Jul 30, 2015
Mobsync:
I've used Google but still haven't gotten a definite and straight answer.

Do routers boost incoming service? I mean, if I connect my modem to a router, would it increase (strengthen) the service it gets from my Internet service provider?

In other words, if my the service from my Internet service provider is weak (e.g. 2 bars) would a router increase it to maybe four or five bars?

To answer your original question after the explanation I have given, Routers do no such thing. They do not boost or increase your service. What a Router does is forward Network Traffic to a different destination. Routers are known as Layer 3 devices under the OSI model (I don't think I should get anymore technical than that).
Re: How Do Routers Work? by Mobsync(m): 5:25am On Jul 31, 2015
Fulaman198:
Routers work by forwarding traffic to another network. In other words, A Router looks at a table for an IP address to another network and acts as a gateway to get you to that destination.

For example, (I don't want to make this complex for you) when you type in www.google.com in your browser, your DNS server converts the IP address to text for Google.com and your router looks in its routing table for the "google.com" entry and if it doesn't see that entry in its routing table, it forwards your entry to another router or hosted network that may have that google.com entry. All of this happens in a matter of milliseconds (dependant on your connection and ISP)

Please let me know if you need a further explanation. I did not want to get too technical because I'm not sure how technical you are as a person.

These were the exact things I was seeing online...

Fulaman198:

To answer your original question after the explanation I have given, Routers do no such thing. They do not boost or increase your service. What a Router does is forward Network Traffic to a different destination. Routers are known as Layer 3 devices under the OSI model (I don't think I should get anymore technical than that).

... and this's what I want to hear. Thank you.
Re: How Do Routers Work? by Mobsync(m): 12:35pm On Aug 06, 2015
Fulaman198:

But do you know any way I can boost my signal?
Re: How Do Routers Work? by Fulaman198(m): 6:05pm On Aug 06, 2015
Mobsync:

But do you know any way I can boost my signal?

If you are trying to boost Wi-Fi range, you will need a Wi-Fi range extender. What do you mean by boosting signal?
Re: How Do Routers Work? by Mobsync(m): 2:35pm On Aug 07, 2015
Fulaman198:

If you are trying to boost Wi-Fi range, you will need a Wi-Fi range extender. What do you mean by boosting signal?

I mean the signal my modem receives from the telecommunication mast.
Re: How Do Routers Work? by Fulaman198(m): 7:19pm On Aug 07, 2015
Mobsync:

I mean the signal my modem receives from the telecommunication mast.

Ok, I need you to be more specific. When you say boost your signal.....are you saying increase your throughput (your speeds provided by your ISP)? Please clarify thanks! Because if that's the case, only your ISP can set clock rates/bandwidth.
Re: How Do Routers Work? by Mobsync(m): 1:14pm On Aug 14, 2015
Fulaman198:

Ok, I need you to be more specific. When you say boost your signal.....are you saying increase your throughput (your speeds provided by your ISP)? Please clarify thanks! Because if that's the case, only your ISP can set clock rates/bandwidth.

Yes, the bolded is exactly what I mean.
Re: How Do Routers Work? by Fulaman198(m): 6:43pm On Aug 15, 2015
Mobsync:

Yes, the bolded is exactly what I mean.

It can't be done. It is your ISP that can only increase your speeds. But it definitely can not be done on your end (DTE).
Re: How Do Routers Work? by Mobsync(m): 1:59pm On Aug 17, 2015
Fulaman198:

It can't be done. It is your ISP that can only increase your speeds. But it definitely can not be done on your end (DTE).

Noted. Thank you.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Post Your Flat Screen Monitor Problems Here And Learn How To Repair Flat Screen / Quality Laptop From The States / Please How Can I Change The Graphics Card On My Samsung Laptop??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.