Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,253 members, 7,807,863 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:58 PM

Do I Remove The Thermostart In My Car Engine? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Do I Remove The Thermostart In My Car Engine? (2982 Views)

Components To Avoid When Washing A Car Engine / When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down / When To Change Your Car Engine Oil: The Mileage Way! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do I Remove The Thermostart In My Car Engine? by royalicon(m): 10:02pm On Mar 17, 2009
Hello experienced nairalanders in Autos.
I just got a Rover 620i Saloon car and I was advised to remove the thermostart so that the car will be overheating.

Some oral interview with some friends is giving me a conflicting percentage. why some said remove it, others are saying leave it. Pls I need advise from someone that has real-life experience with strong reason and not "i hear say".

Thanks in anticipation

Re: Do I Remove The Thermostart In My Car Engine? by Nobody: 12:18am On Mar 18, 2009
Nigerian mechanics and their poor advice. undecided

Please, don't remove the thermostat.

If the car runs too hot, then get a thermostat for hotter countries.
The current stat will operate between 88 - 94 degrees, which means it opens at roughly 90 degrees.

You'll need one that operates between 80 - 86 degrees, which means it opens earlier, at about 82 degrees.
It'll be an idea to also upgrade the fan too, most cars have a thermo switch built into the radiator, which can be replaced with a different one, that operates the cooling fan earlier.

I believe the Rover 2,0 16V (Honda engine) controlls the fan with the CTS via the ECU, so only way to get more cooling is to replace the fan with a heavier duty item.

Removing the stat completely is a bad idea - the engine will run too cool, and the CTS will see the engine as cold, as in start-up, and will alter the duty cycle of the injectors, putting in more fuel, which is normally only valid for a cold engine. This will cause "bore wash," whereby excessive fuel enters the cylinders, and washes the lubrication from the cylinder walls. This will eventually wear the bores and rings, cause a loss of performance, poor mpg, and eventually, the engine will begin to burn oil.

Any mechanic that says "remove the thermostat" should be shot, and not even be allowed to service a lawn mower.

1 Like

Re: Do I Remove The Thermostart In My Car Engine? by promise72(m): 3:26am On Mar 18, 2009
Siena:

Any mechanic that says "remove the thermostat" should be shot, and not even be allowed to service a lawn mower.

shocked Damn!
Re: Do I Remove The Thermostart In My Car Engine? by oranges(m): 8:00am On Mar 18, 2009
"Any mechanic that says "remove the thermostat" should be shot, and not even be allowed to service a lawn mower". grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Do I Remove The Thermostart In My Car Engine? by adeyemik: 9:33am On Mar 18, 2009
Bros,

Remove the thermostat and continue to contribute the wealth of the Femi Otedola's, Mike Adenuga's and their likes. As your mecho has advised you to remove the thermostat, I will advice that you run away from that mechanic.

[size=18pt]"FLY WEY NO DEY HEAR WORD NA IM DEY FOLLOW DEAD BODI ENTER GRAVE"[/size]
Re: Do I Remove The Thermostart In My Car Engine? by royalicon(m): 10:27am On Mar 18, 2009
Thanks Sienna, I really appreciate your advise. Moore grease to your elbow. I will surely replace the cooling fan with double cell as previously advised by one of my friend.
Re: Do I Remove The Thermostart In My Car Engine? by RICHIEBOI1(m): 10:42am On Mar 18, 2009
[quote author=Siena link=topic=249187.msg3609895#msg3609895 d

[quote][/quote]
haba! dat was uncalled for. grin
Re: Do I Remove The Thermostart In My Car Engine? by darqly(m): 12:09pm On Mar 18, 2009
Er, I had mine removed 5 months ago and installed a double cell radiator. The thing is, the car was really bloody overheating(I love driving myself when I travel) and I was transferred further up North-eastern Nigeria. On several trips, I pass other Hondas, overheated with hoods up by the roadside waiting for the engines to cool. I ALWAYS travel with the AC regardless of claims that it consumes fuel ( this is only true when you drive short distances on lower gears, ) and I had no issues.

So Siena, how soon can my engine go belly-up?? cry Nice insight though a wee bit late for me.
Re: Do I Remove The Thermostart In My Car Engine? by Nobody: 1:22pm On Mar 18, 2009
Dargly, bore wash takes time to manifest itself, but it will.

Engines are not designed to be run at high rpm / load when not fully warm.
Optimum operating temperature of the internal combustion engine is between 78 - 110 degrees.
You engine won't operate in this range without a thermostat.

Getting the right thermostat for the country a car's to be used in is the answer, not removing it completely.
Nigeria's not as hot as people seem to think - think of Texas / Arizona, the cars there have thermostats.
Re: Do I Remove The Thermostart In My Car Engine? by viazi: 2:15pm On Mar 18, 2009
Thanks alot for the Clarification, but tell us the TERMOSTAT to go for that will solve the problems.
Re: Do I Remove The Thermostart In My Car Engine? by Nobody: 9:24pm On Mar 18, 2009
viazi:

Thanks alot for the Clarification, but tell us the TERMOSTAT to go for that will solve the problems.

No direct answer to your query, without a car make, model, engine type and year of manufacture.
Where was the car originally sold?
What country was it imported from?

Your local dealer should be able to order a thermostat for cars destined for hot climates.
Re: Do I Remove The Thermostart In My Car Engine? by promise72(m): 10:12pm On Mar 18, 2009
This is why there is an advantage in buying US spec cars. With the triple digit temperature of Death Valley- California, Tuscon - Arizona or in Texas. You then go East where snow is the order of the day. Sub zero temperatures. The cars are designed to perform in any of these climates without necessarily changing the thermostat.

Just my 2 cents. cool
Re: Do I Remove The Thermostart In My Car Engine? by Dotng: 3:14pm On Feb 23, 2012
Siena, thanks for your explanation. Please I need your recommendation on the the Thermostart to buy as a replacement for my 1999 Toyota Sienna with a V6 engine. It was shipped from Baltimore (US)
Also, how do I get it. The mechanics here are not helping matters

(1) (Reply)

Honda Baby-Boy: Just To Know The Car Real Name / Best Oil To Use For A V6 Engine / Rebuilding A 2010 Rav4 V6 (2gr-fe) Engine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.