Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,491 members, 7,808,818 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:22 PM

Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners - Career (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners (127952 Views)

Poll: Which option of Electrical Engineering do you prefer?

Electronics and Telecoms: 68% (203 votes)
Power and Machinery: 28% (84 votes)
Lecturing: 3% (9 votes)
This poll has ended

Mechatronic Engineers: aspirants and practitioners meet here. / Marine Engineering Aspirants And Practitioners: Any Future? / Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Nobody: 11:24pm On Jul 23, 2009
netotse:

errr first @fl gators
lol. . .if there was anyone on this thread u'd need to tell that it'd be me(the last person'd be ajanlekoko), he's a telecomms pro(i'm sure when he graduated u were still writing in pencil). . .(come to think of it you're the youngest engineer here i hereby christen u 'baby engineer'). . .in fact, by royal decree anytime u want to talk to your elders u must first e-curtsy(how u acheive that is ur biz). cool
Ohhh, sorry eh, am like still introducing myself, and I'm loving each day of it.
Instead of sitting in a lecture room, I actually got hands on experience, I just loveeeee it.

"Baby" Engineer grin yo ba epkon ori e tongue
The only person I go curtsy to is Ajalekoko tongue He seems well expertised in his area.

Why you dey fear to write your CV?
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 11:43pm On Jul 23, 2009
FL Gators:

Ohhh, sorry eh, am like still introducing myself, and I'm loving each day of it.
Instead of sitting in a lecture room, I actually got hands on experience, I just loveeeee it.

"Baby" Engineer grin yo ba epkon ori e tongue
The only person I go curtsy to is Ajalekoko tongue He seems well expertised in his area.

Why you dey fear to write your CV?
my yoruba isn't that good. . . e s'anu mi

cos i feel i dont have any experience to write abt and i hate all those lousy phrases ppl put in CVs like 'excellent communication skills'(he can barely speak english o), team player(the only team he knows about is man utd.) and my personal favourite 'excellent computer school'(he doesnt even know what DVD stands for). i dont want to get involved in all that whitewashing jo!, ([size=5pt]so what i've resolved to do is wait till obama's daughters grow and marry one of them[/size]) grin

P.S. hv u started work or somefink? where are u getting the 'hands on' experience?

u dont want to respect the elders abi? ([size=5pt]if not for my e-rheumatism i would have put u over my e-knee[/size])
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Nobody: 11:54pm On Jul 23, 2009
netotse:

my yoruba isn't that good. . . e s'anu mi

cos i feel i dont have any experience to write abt and i hate all those lousy phrases ppl put in CVs like 'excellent communication skills'(he can barely speak english o), team player(the only team he knows about is man utd.) and my personal favourite 'excellent computer school'(he doesnt even know what DVD stands for). i dont want to get involved in all that whitewashing jo!, ([size=5pt]so what i've resolved to do is wait till obama's daughters grow and marry one of them[/size]) grin

P.S. hv u started work or somefink? where are u getting the 'hands on' experience?

u dont want to respect the elders abi? ([size=5pt]if not for my e-rheumatism i would have put u over my e-knee[/size])
rotflmao, you go me rolling, LOL. You dey crase.
We be the same age, you this man wink

Have I worked? Well, when I was still on the pre-health track, I did some internship at my school's hospital.
Now that I've come to my senses and thought about what I really wanna do (eng), I don't have any work experience yet.
But I'm applying next coming summer sha.

You know, I realized that I wasted more than half of my school on the wrong field. But now that I thought about it, its better that I changed quickly rather than to hate my job sha.

For your CV, why don't you talk about your skills and experience, honors and awards volunteer services, organizations you've joined, courses you took. . . . HOW EXACTLY ARE YOU DIFFERENT FROM EVERYONE ELSE? undecided
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by IGWEUSA(m): 9:26am On Jul 25, 2009
FL Gators:

rotflmao, you go me rolling, LOL. You dey crase.
We be the same age, you this man wink

Have I worked? Well, when I was still on the pre-health track, I did some internship at my school's hospital.
Now that I've come to my senses and thought about what I really wanna do (eng), I don't have any work experience yet.
But I'm applying next coming summer sha.

You know, I realized that I wasted more than half of my school on the wrong field. But now that I thought about it, its better that I changed quickly rather than to hate my job sha.

For your CV, why don't you talk about your skills and experience, honors and awards volunteer services, organizations you've joined, courses you took. . . . HOW EXACTLY ARE YOU DIFFERENT FROM EVERYONE ELSE? undecided

Really!! shocked
Did you switch over to engineering just because you loved the field or because of some f%cked up grade in your pre
      health classes.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Nobody: 12:01am On Jul 26, 2009
rotflmao. actually no. cheesy
I just realize what I want, not doing what I was expected to do.
But nice observation
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by duke2000: 6:12pm On Aug 06, 2009
@Lekside44's comment of Sylink1.

I think here in this country we attach too much importance to paper qualification. In my opinion, Sylink1 made a very useful point. Why spent 5 years just to get into  a university!! University education should not be discouraged; but putting things in the right perspective, I think we should be more realistic in our outlook. Some pride themselves in working for Oil companies in the delta region, while overlooking the fact that the 'white' engineer bosses merely attended some technical schools in their home land.

Make no mistake, I am a straight A high school grad and attended a reputable university. There is no big deal with the much touted complex calculations and blah blah engineer versus technologist as postulated by lekside44. Once out of school, everyone still needs some practical guide. Go back to history of major engineering inventions. How many were made by uni engineers? I was at the science museum in London just last month and I can authoritatively give you some tid bits on that.

In developed lands, nobody give a damn about the paper you have. What can u do?That's why they developed. Why do we still award key engineering contracts to technicians from Europe and Asia?

Guys, lets rid ourselves of these retarding mentality.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by lekside44(m): 4:29am On Aug 07, 2009
duke2000:

@Lekside44's comment of Sylink1.

I think here in this country we attach too much importance to paper qualification. In my opinion, Sylink1 made a very useful point. Why spent 5 years just to get into  a university!! University education should not be discouraged; but putting things in the right perspective, I think we should be more realistic in our outlook. Some pride themselves in working for Oil companies in the delta region, while overlooking the fact that the 'white' engineer bosses merely attended some technical schools in their home land.

Make no mistake, I am a straight A high school grad and attended a reputable university. There is no big deal with the much touted complex calculations and blah blah engineer versus technologist as postulated by lekside44. Once out of school, everyone still needs some practical guide. Go back to history of major engineering inventions. How https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?action=post;topic=249270.288;num_replies=298#topmany were made by uni engineers? I was at the science museum in London just last month and I can authoritatively give you some tid bits on that.

In developed lands, nobody give a damn about the paper you have. What can u do?That's why they developed. Why do we still award key engineering contracts to technicians from Europe and Asia?

Guys, lets rid ourselves of these retarding mentality.

not trying to wake the dead argument, but for clarity sake, anybody can discover/invent. the main role of engineers is to is to analyse the subject matter using advance mathematics and natural sciences. that is why the non university trainned engineers still finds their way in the engineering firms. consider a bricklayer who is only skilled, but no formal education. if given the resources (money, materials) he could go on building a skyscaper. but can you live in such a house?
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by ifey1900: 4:41pm On Aug 07, 2009
hi, please i need advice on something and that is i am currently studying electrical/electronics engineering in england but dont know if i should come back to work in nigeria or i should stay here and work and the thing is that i want to work in armed forces in nigeria i think the police so advice fellow engineers
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by ifey1900: 5:31pm On Aug 07, 2009
hi
please every1 give me your opinion i am studying elect/elect engineering in england and am considering serving in the nigerian police force when i finish from here but i dont know if i should do that or i should just look for work over here please give me your opinions.

thank you
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by FiremanJr(m): 10:49pm On Aug 08, 2009
Nigerian Police Force. Oboy!!! What exactly you want to do for them beats me. Abi na survelance department you wan dey? Anyways, I'm the last person to be giving advice on this kind of thing. Maybe Ajanlekoko et al can help you
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by lekside44(m): 9:25pm On Aug 09, 2009
ifey1900:

hi
please every1 give me your opinion i am studying elect/elect engineering in england and am considering serving in the nigerian police force when i finish from here but i dont know if i should do that or i should just look for work over here please give me your opinions.

thank you
well, my greatest advice to you is that if you really wants to practice your eng. stay put where you are. most of the eng jobs down here are maintenance/management jobs. there are very few eng jobs available. if you are interested in nig police, you can come home and be considered into the officers cader, but dont really expect to practice your proffession. the military(NDA) is even a better option for you if you are interested in joining a force.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by remsol: 8:32pm On Aug 10, 2009
my brother and sister in the forum i need your advice on my career path.
I have HND in E/E,and have awaiting B.Sc. in Industrial and Labour Management's result. And presently am process automation supervisor in one of Heneiken aquired brewery in nigeria. Moreover I have skills in electrical design and intallatioin in domestic and electrification, industrial instrumentation,PLC(SIEMENS TECHNOLOGY) and Process/factory Automation with 7yrs experinence
But I need yuor advice on any certification of a things that I can do be ICT compliance
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 5:04pm On Aug 12, 2009
remsol:

my brother and sister in the forum i need your advice on my career path.
I have HND in E/E,and have awaiting B.Sc. in Industrial and Labour Management's result. And presently am process automation supervisor in one of Heneiken aquired brewery in nigeria. Moreover I have skills in electrical design and intallatioin in domestic and electrification, industrial instrumentation,PLC(SIEMENS TECHNOLOGY) and Process/factory Automation with 7yrs experinence
But I need yuor advice on any certification of a things that I can do be ICT compliance

chiaman! only u?

do you have a person computer?wot can you do with it? if you're comfy wiv it u can pick up CAD

@all
how do u go about choosing schools for an M.Sc? i dont want to go and choose a wrong school o! does anyone hv any ideas on how to judge them?
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by FiremanJr(m): 7:23pm On Aug 27, 2009
Does anyone know of any places in niger state where one can get industrial training(IT)
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by FiremanJr(m): 7:24pm On Aug 27, 2009
Does anyone know of any places in niger state where one can get industrial training(IT)
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 4:07pm On Aug 29, 2009
@fireman
do u hv any idea wot u want to do for IT? nd y niger?
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by FiremanJr(m): 2:33pm On Aug 30, 2009
Its cuz of a personal problem. Besides I school there. Would have loved abuja or some other place but accomodation will be a problem. As regards what I want to do, I dont think i have the luxury of choosing now, anything that looks good is good enough
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by FiremanJr(m): 3:52pm On Aug 30, 2009
Its cuz of a personal problem. Besides I school there. Would have loved abuja or some other place but accomodation will be a problem. As regards what I want to do, I dont think i have the luxury of choosing now, anything that looks good is good enough
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 11:38am On Aug 31, 2009
meeennnn corpers just left camp o, so a place might be hard r u in FUT minna? where do you stay? shiroro dam wouldn't be a problem if you stayed nearby but if you dont then it cant happen cos they dont give IT ppl accomodation
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by FiremanJr(m): 5:39am On Sep 01, 2009
Yeah am in futminna. What's their policy on IT? Do they willingly accept IT students? I guess I'll have to think of something regarding acc. before then. How far with you?
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 9:32am On Sep 02, 2009
if you can settle the accomodation wahala then there shldnt be a problem, cos thats the MAJOR wahala involved in the whole thing. . .guy am fine o, i dey bail go abuja today this niger state don tire me. . .when does the I.T. start sef?
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by songus: 9:57pm On Sep 04, 2009
I am an Electrical Engineer but have spent most of my time offshore in the driling Industry, can anyone recommend a good CAD training school in Port Harcourt? Also who are the most reliable Project management Training Institute in the country? Please attach email addresses and phone numbers if possible. Your help much appreciated.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by FiremanJr(m): 12:14pm On Sep 09, 2009
@netotse
Sometime next year. Lagos, abuja, niger, accommodation seems to be the major problem. I'll work something out before then. Are you still going for your masters?
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 1:24pm On Sep 09, 2009
next year? ok. . .that means we have some time to find a proper place, do you have a place where you can stay? if you have relatives in any of the cities then we can start looking for a place in them cities. it'd also help if you could specify a field that way it'd be less likely that you'd end up getting stuck in a dead end place(it'll kill your morale) why dont you think about what you want to learn more about? i could help you think it through then we'll find the best (and highest paying) place!

yep i think i'll go for the masters o, but this place is killing my morale, i can barely read for GRE(its like SAT but for masters students). . .
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by FiremanJr(m): 11:38pm On Sep 12, 2009
Thanks bruv for your concern. Quite frankly I'm surprised. I'm not one to be picky over a particular field but i understand what you mean by hitting a dead end. Electronics, computers, the usual stuff look more interesting. Frankly I've lost most of the motivation in school.
GRE eh, i know about the exam but i'm ignorant as regards the content. Have you started applying for jobs? Or are you too focused on masters?
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 11:52am On Sep 14, 2009

Thanks bruv for your concern. Quite frankly I'm surprised. I'm not one to be picky over a particular field but i understand what you mean by hitting a dead end. Electronics, computers, the usual stuff look more interesting. Frankly I've lost most of the motivation in school.
GRE eh, i know about the exam but i'm ignorant as regards the content. Have you started applying for jobs? Or are you too focused on masters?

i know exactly how you feel cos the same thing happened to me, it usually gets better when you discover which field you have a passion for(at least thats what happened in my case) thats part of the reason why i was harping on picking something you're interested in because thats what you'll eventually excel at given experience and opportunity.

GRE is just basic arithmetic but the reasoning is different from how we're taught thats why most naija ppl need to prepare for example: X2 is what? most naija ppl will say 2right? but the answer can either be +2 or -2 you need to retrain yourself to be more open in choosing answers and the english is something else sef. . .(most naija ppl dont read enough and that adds wahala).

i'm leaning towards the M.sc now o but i could swing either way, i'm afraid the only place in naija where they do what i want to do is PHCN so it means i might be forced to work there (i'm still making up my mind o) meennnnn life after school isnt easy o(just imagine if i work in PHCN it'll mean i have to say bye bye to my range rover at 40 and g-class at 50 plans) i have to choose between job satisfaction and money cos i could just as easily go into IT or oil and gas and make serious money.

Doing an M.sc would mean giving naija and PHCN more time to make the power sector more attractive for young turks like me cos as at now it is only God that can make me settle for what they'll pay me in PHCN if i join(its somewhere around 50-60k per month). i have some my ear to the ground wrt the IPP's but they wont do much power system planning(thats what i want to do)so i wont work there for long even if i join one of them.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by truphie(f): 1:41pm On Sep 14, 2009
netotse:

: X2 is what? most naija ppl will say 2right? but the answer can either be +2 or -2

Since when? I thought any number squared always gives you a positive result.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by AjanleKoko: 1:51pm On Sep 14, 2009
netotse:

Doing an M.sc would mean giving naija and PHCN more time to make the power sector more attractive for young turks like me cos as at now it is only God that can make me settle for what they'll pay me in PHCN if i join(its somewhere around 50-60k per month). i have some my ear to the ground wrt the IPP's but they wont do much power system planning(thats what i want to do)so i wont work there for long even if i join one of them.

netotse, stop dreaming.
If you like power, for now, you get to go abroad, do Msc, and try to build a career outside Naija. Forget PHCN for now.
Before the deregulation of telecoms here, most of the EE grads wanting to pursue a career in telecoms were basically frustrated, taking up fringe jobs in Siemens, Philips, Adebowale, or some other funny firms like that.
Not until the entry of GSM did the game change for everybody, and people could actually pursue a career here. If GSM did not arrive when it did, I would have left Naija longest time ago!

Call it whatever you want, as far as AjanleKoko is concerned, 'government' (and yes, there is a 'government', separate entirely from the people, forget what political theorists tell you!) is responsible for every single one of the problems in Nigeria. Even the latest ones in banking.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by FiremanJr(m): 5:29am On Sep 15, 2009
@ajanlekoko
I've been going through your thread, telecommunication professionals zone, and i gotta tell you, its almost impossible to keep up with you guys. Anyways, its a great thread.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by FiremanJr(m): 5:39am On Sep 15, 2009
@netotse
Doing the masters abroad will atleast create a platform for you to build your career there and you'll surely achieve your 40th and 50th year goals.lol.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 10:32am On Sep 15, 2009

Since when? I thought any number squared always gives you a positive result.

sorry, my mistake, i meant if X2 is equal to 4 then what is X?. thanks for the correction!

@ajanlekoko
mennnn thats what i'm planning o, i want to see if i can get into system planning after an M.Sc so that when the power boom occurs i'll be in a good position.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (35) (Reply)

The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. / About The ICAN/ATS Examinations / Ghanaian Nurse Who Twerked In Her Uniform Declared Wanted By Nurses Association

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.