Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,660 members, 7,801,914 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:37 AM

New Force Chief Pledges To Crush Boko Haram 'very Soon' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New Force Chief Pledges To Crush Boko Haram 'very Soon' (795 Views)

Mobile Task Force Launched By Army To Crush Boko Haram (Photos) / Ex-air Force Chief, Umar, Diverted N13.3bn In 2 Yrs / EFCC Forced Me To Pay N40m For My Release – Detained Air Force Chief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Force Chief Pledges To Crush Boko Haram 'very Soon' by amofah1(m): 11:13pm On Jul 31, 2015
Abuja (AFP) - The Nigerian commander of a new multinational force set up to fight Boko Haram Islamists on Friday pledged to bring an end to their six-year insurgency "very soon". "I assure (you), by the will of God, that I will live (up) to expectations and we will see the end of this menace very soon," Major General Iliya Abbah said at a ceremony in Abuja, where he was formally appointed chief of the Multinational Joint Task Force. The 8,700-strong force has its headquarters in the Chadian capital N'Djamena and is expected to be more effective than a regional offensive launched earlier this year to fight Boko Haram, whose insurgency has claimed some 15,000 lives. "As soon as I get on the ground, everybody will take position," Abbah said, adding that troops would be deployed "any time from today". Abbah was named commander on Thursday, when Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari said during a visit to Cameroon the force would be ready to go into action "by the end of this month". The force will contain troops from Nigeria, Cameroon, Niger and Chad, with Benin also committed to help. However Buhari also complained of a lack of resources, saying: "After the promises of G7 countries to help the region defeat Boko Haram, we are waiting for training, equipment and intelligence assistance." Abbah, a Muslim from northern Nigeria, previously served as the army's military secretary, where he was responsible for promotions, postings and retirements, and was also part of Nigeria's contingent to peacekeeping operations in Sudan's troubled western Darfur region. On Friday Abbah described his new assignment as "familiar terrain". "I assure you, when we hit the ground, the story will be different... The formation of the Multinational Joint Task Force is the best thing that has ever happened to the region," he said. Nigeria's army chief Major General Tukur Yusuf Buratai described Abbah as a "seasoned, experienced" infantry general. "He did extremely well to contain Boko Haram from spreading into the northwest," Buratai said at Friday's ceremony. While the regional offensive launched in February has successfully forced Boko Haram out of several positions, the Islamists have unleashed a new wave of violence since Buhari became president in May, killing more than 800 people in just two months. news.yahoo.com/force-chief-pledges-crush-boko-haram-very-soon-143741906.html
Re: New Force Chief Pledges To Crush Boko Haram 'very Soon' by Nellizzy(m): 11:24pm On Jul 31, 2015
crush them all
Re: New Force Chief Pledges To Crush Boko Haram 'very Soon' by nemzy14(m): 11:29pm On Jul 31, 2015
We need actions and not pledges..afterall service chiefs before u have pledged and boko haram is still waxing stronger
Re: New Force Chief Pledges To Crush Boko Haram 'very Soon' by sainty2k3(m): 11:37pm On Jul 31, 2015
OK, may the good lord help u
We are waiting to see how soon is very soon
Re: New Force Chief Pledges To Crush Boko Haram 'very Soon' by jamex93(m): 11:54pm On Jul 31, 2015
Na so! I know dem can fit
Re: New Force Chief Pledges To Crush Boko Haram 'very Soon' by Nobody: 12:01am On Aug 01, 2015
Few things are more grating than a vain dullard
trying to be cutesy and witty in a public forum... Mouthy Administration!....
It has down on me to accept that whatever achievement Buhari is experiencing now is as a result of past glory from GEJ...
Re: New Force Chief Pledges To Crush Boko Haram 'very Soon' by abduljabbar4(m): 1:39am On Aug 01, 2015
foxxynik:
It has down on me to accept that whatever achievement Buhari is experiencing now is as a result of past glory from GEJ...
True. Gej also enjoyed past glory from Yaradua, Yaradua from obj , Obj from abdulsalam, Abdulsalam from Abacha, Abacha from shonekan, Shonekan from IBB, IBB from Buhari, Buhari from shagaru, And so on
Nonsense
Re: New Force Chief Pledges To Crush Boko Haram 'very Soon' by engrjacuzzi: 3:46am On Aug 01, 2015
waiting mode activated
Re: New Force Chief Pledges To Crush Boko Haram 'very Soon' by efilefun(m): 4:40am On Aug 01, 2015
foxxynik:

Re: New Force Chief Pledges To Crush Boko Haram 'very Soon' by kennyman2000(m): 4:42am On Aug 01, 2015
Hmmmmm
Re: New Force Chief Pledges To Crush Boko Haram 'very Soon' by Nobody: 9:53am On Aug 01, 2015
efilefun:
. . Lamebrain... Only Whimpers knows people that wail... DickkHead grin
Re: New Force Chief Pledges To Crush Boko Haram 'very Soon' by Nobody: 9:58am On Aug 01, 2015
abduljabbar4:

True. Gej also enjoyed past glory from Yaradua, Yaradua from obj , Obj from abdulsalam, Abdulsalam from Abacha, Abacha from shonekan, Shonekan from IBB, IBB from Buhari, Buhari from shagaru, And so on
Nonsense
Exactly.... NONSENSE!!!! Try and be sensible next time u make a post! grin
And if I should agree with you.... He benefited from the 7point Agenda and yet we never sat out to destroy Yaradua's administration... So why will you APClowns derive pleasures in criticising GEJ's administration and yet benefiting from his handiworks and still accuse him of doing nothing for 6years? Common sense is really lacking in you guys!

(1) (Reply)

On The Need For Love And Concern For Nation / Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Government Only – Presidency / Where Is That Wide Mouth OBJ Concubine?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.