Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,474 members, 7,781,383 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:32 PM

The Igala People In Anambra State - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Igala People In Anambra State (63884 Views)

Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand / Ooni Ogunwusi Visits Aurthur Eze In Anambra (Photos) / Names Of Past And Present Attah Igala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by bigfrancis21: 6:18pm On Aug 04, 2015
cheruv:

We're simply accommodating them within the umbrella that's Igbo.. Its something they accept subconsciously, the Igbo realm has never coerced anyone to be part of it.their Ata would still be there as the grand Duke of igala.
Life is dynamic.. so its not enough that they stay who they're without changing along with life

Right. Igbos have never been wont to invade other lands for the purpose of conquering them and imposing their language on them, at least from my knowledge so far, such that any first-language Igbo speaker today got absorbed into the Igbo fold out of their own volition and were never forced to. Over the course of centuries, people have changed ethnicity, language and adopted new identities, even till today identities still continue to change. Thousands of white Americans today are not necessarily British descendants but German, Irish, French, Spanish or Italian by ancestry whose ancestors arrived the US between the 16th and 20th centuries etc and today have adopted English names, the English language (barely speaking a word of German, Irish, French, Spanish, or Italian) and America as their own place, simply because they chose, willingly or unwillingly, to assimilate into the greater American culture. Nzam, Anaku and 3 other villages may have been founded by a few Igala settlers but it does not mean that everybody in those villages are Igalas because there must have been a heavy influx of Igbos into those areas to have sustained the sole language of communication there as Igbo language. A DNA test conducted on the people would easily confirm that some males may have Y-DNA linking to Idah or some place in Kogi and the rest to Igbo hinterlands, same for the MtDNA maternal testing. If the people adopt Igbo names, speak Igbo and identify as Igbo, they are welcome into the greater Igbo fold.

Anybody who wishes to be anything non-Igbo can reverse back in the direction from where their ancestors came (thankfully, some oral traditions still preserve their source of origin), and in no time the villages and areas de-populated by them would be re-populated by native Igbo indigenes and life continues unabatedly.

1 Like

Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by bigfrancis21: 6:45pm On Aug 04, 2015
McSterling:

It's actually more complex than that. Many of those who bear Igbo names and speak Igbo, do not acknowledge "Igbo origins". In the article you posted, didn't the Igbo-named Nzam chief trace their origins to Ajida too? You seem intent at subsuming the Igala people among you into the greater fold of Igbos. And you seem to have assumed that affirmation of our Igala ethnicity equates to not wanting to be from Anambra or wanting to form allegiance with kogi. So, to you, those of us who affirm our Igala ethnicity (many of whom bear Igbo names and speak Igbo) are not welcome in Anambra state? So it is a crime to affirm my ethnicity while yet acknowledging our presence as a minority in the state? We are no less indigenes of Anambra state than the Igbos in the state.

Please explain to me the sudden craze for attachment to Anambra state. It seems that people just want to identify with anambra state by any means possible, by marriage into the state or by birth or whatsoever. Of course, the Anambra state government recognizes the presence of Igala migrants in the state, just as Imo state recognizes the Hausa migrants living at Ama awusa. If you need that recognition you already have it. However, do not forget your ancestors are migrants, many of which have voluntarily decided to adopt the Igbo identity and assimilate into the greater Igbo fold (no identity crisis) and are well welcome in the state. Those that wish to maintain their Igala identity may choose to return to Kogi or live peacefully in the state. I wouldn't mind sponsoring a massive DNA test in those villages in identifying the actual Igala descendants and help those ones attaching to Kogi state find which villages they come from.

Or if push comes to shove, have Olumbanaasa re-allocated to Kogi state (I am sure you would love that, wouldn't you?) by boundary adjustment if that will help in abating your identity crisis.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by scholes0(m): 6:59pm On Aug 04, 2015
bigfrancis21:

He is referring to the Ibaji people of Kogi state, who share borders with Anambra north that has been heavily Igbonized, probably due to inter-marriage between Igbo folks and their folks decades over decades. Mainstream Igala people do not even regard Ibaji as Igala. The capital of Ibaji is Onyedega, an Igbo sounding name.

However, Igala language is a dynamic one, with variation as you move from south northwards with the Igala at the extreme south being influenced heavily by Igbo language and as you move north-western it being influenced by Yoruba words from Yoruba states that the language area shares borders with.

Ibaji is influenced by Igbo..... but not too the extent of making it so different, that it would be classed as a different language.
It is still understandable by other Igala speakers. Same way Igala spoken towards the eastern parts have elements of Idoma influence.
Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by McSterling(m): 7:01am On Aug 05, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Please explain to me the sudden craze for attachment to Anambra state. It seems that people just want to identify with anambra state by any means possible, by marriage into the state or by birth or whatsoever. Of course, the Anambra state government recognizes the presence of Igala migrants in the state, just as Imo state recognizes the Hausa migrants living at Ama awusa. If you need that recognition you already have it. However, do not forget your ancestors are migrants, many of which have voluntarily decided to adopt the Igbo identity and assimilate into the greater Igbo fold (no identity crisis) and are well welcome in the state. Those that wish to maintain their Igala identity may choose to return to Kogi or live peacefully in the state. I wouldn't mind sponsoring a massive DNA test in those villages in identifying the actual Igala descendants and help those ones attaching to Kogi state find which villages they come from.

Or if push comes to shove, have Olumbanaasa re-allocated to Kogi state (I am sure you would love that, wouldn't you?) by boundary adjustment if that will help in abating your identity crisis.
Well, what more can I say? You've chosen to completely misrepresent my purpose for opening this thread. Good luck with kicking us back to Idah.

1 Like

Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by McSterling(m): 7:05am On Aug 05, 2015
Radoillo:

Why are you people talking about ceding territories. The OP opened this thread to say his people should identify as Igala and as Anambrarians. He said nothing about ceding Olumbanasaa and the other Igala speaking communities in Anambra to Kogi. All of a sudden you are talking about ceding Ibaji (who don't even identify as Igbo, nor speak Igbo as a first language, nor wish to be ceded to Anambra)? Nawa o.

Bros, I tire o.

2 Likes

Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by bigfrancis21: 4:35am On Aug 07, 2015
scholes0:

Ibaji is influenced by Igbo..... but not too the extent of making it so different, that it would be classed as a different language.
It is still understandable by other Igala speakers. Same way Igala spoken towards the eastern parts have elements of Idoma influence.

You seem to be quite knowledgeable about the middle belt. Where are you from?
Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by Nobody: 7:10am On Aug 07, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I think they have the right to identify as both Igala and Anambrarians regardless of how they migrated there. It shouldn't be a case of them choosing one or the other.

3 Likes

Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by scholes0(m): 3:20pm On Aug 07, 2015
nwanlecha:

I think they have the right to identify as both Igala and Anambrarians regardless of how they migrated there. It shouldn't be a case of them choosing one or the other.

I honestly thought BigFrancis21 would be more diplomatic on the issue.

1 Like

Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by Wulfruna(f): 9:10pm On Aug 10, 2015
Well, if it isn't big Francis being big Francis! grin
Someone from Anambra proclaiming that he is from Anambra is now interpreted as "a crazed attachment". I expected nothing less from a fellow who described his loyalty to his Igboness as "fanatic", thb. If there is one thing common to all fanatics it is the inability to be reasonable. sad
*smh*

3 Likes

Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by bigfrancis21: 1:50am On Aug 11, 2015
Wulfruna:
Well, if it isn't big Francis being big Francis! grin
Someone from Anambra proclaiming that he is from Anambra is now interpreted as "a crazed attachment". I expected nothing less from a fellow who described his loyalty to his Igboness as "fanatic", thb. If there is one thing common to all fanatics it is the inability to be reasonable. sad
*smh*

Who do we have here! Lol.

Let's just say i'm Donald Trump of Anambra. Lol.
Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by OfoIgbo: 10:25am On Aug 13, 2015
bigfrancis21:
Moreover, since the op readily agrees that Igala people crossed the River Niger to settle in the Northern fringes of Anambra state, why then do we hear claims of 'Igala' towns in Anambra state? Those towns and lands belong not to Igala but Igbo. In my research done about these supposedly 'Igala' towns, the king names have all been Igbo, the names of residents interviewed or spoken to have always been Igbo. One begins to wonder differently.

In my opinion, if the Igalas in those villages, living among the Igbo natives, suddenly decide to care so much about their ancestry what they should do is return to Kogi where their ancestors came from.

Even though it is said that Igalas came from Idah, that is not strictly true. The their main ancestor actually came from Eriaka, which we now know as Aguleri.
Attah/Onoja nwa Oboli was the last son of Eri. His other brothers are Nri (the ancestor of Enugwu-ukwu, Nawfia, Enugwu-Agidi and Agukwu-Nri), Agulueri, Igbariam, e.t.c.

Onoja nwa Oboli left Eriaka and migrated to Idah, so Igalas are heavily related to Ndigbo.
Mgbe gboo Nri priests crowned the Attahs and they still use the four market days controlled by the Nris. They still attend Eze Nri's Igu-Aro.

Of course since 1966, we Igbos are very mindful of outsiders after the negative experiences we have been subjected to since that year, especially with abandoned properties saga and the cutting off of certain Igbo territories and attaching same to unfriendly states/regions

1 Like

Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by macof(m): 2:07pm On Aug 13, 2015
OfoIgbo:

Even though it is said that Igalas came from Idah, that is not strictly true. The their main ancestor actually came from Eriaka, which we now know as Aguleri.
Attah/Onoja nwa Oboli was the last son of Eri. His other brothers are Nri (the ancestor of Enugwu-ukwu, Nawfia, Enugwu-Agidi and Agukwu-Nri), Agulueri, Igbariam, e.t.c.

Onoja nwa Oboli left Eriaka and migrated to Idah, so Igalas are heavily related to Ndigbo.
Mgbe gboo Nri priests crowned the Attahs and they still use the four market days controlled by the Nris. They still attend Eze Nri's Igu-Aro.

Of course since 1966, we Igbos are very mindful of outsiders after the negative experiences we have been subjected to since that year, especially with abandoned properties saga and the cutting off of certain Igbo territories and attaching same to unfriendly states/regions

Is this what you say of the Igala or what the Igala say of themselves? Cus Bini also claims Igala came from them

However the Igala speak of Ebulejonu leading their people to Idah from Amagede
Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by Nobody: 2:40pm On Aug 13, 2015
macof:

Is this what you say of the Igala or what the Igala say of themselves? Cus Bini also claims Igala came from them

However the Igala speak of Ebulejonu leading their people to Idah from Amagede

Actually, the traditions of the Bini and the Igbo about the Igala do seem to have some corroborations in Igala traditions.

1 Like

Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by lovemaths(f): 4:50pm On Aug 13, 2015
I asked a secondary schoolmate of mine whose name is Ojochebe which state she's from, she told me she's from Anambra state and they share boundary with kogi state, hence the name. Her sister is ufedo. I read a book about the history of Igala during my NYSC so I know they are found in Anambra state. I schooled in Nsukka and many of the Nsukka people share names with Igala e.g Asadu, Akogu, Idoko

1 Like

Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by macof(m): 5:47pm On Aug 13, 2015
Radoillo:

Actually, the traditions of the Bini and the Igbo about the Igala do seem to have some corroborations in Igala traditions.

Ok Radoillo. Tell me about this corroborations
Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by Nobody: 8:00pm On Aug 13, 2015
macof:

Ok Radoillo. Tell me about this corroborations

Concerning the Bini connection, let me summarise oral traditions collected in Idah by JS Boston (this guy did very excellent work on the Igala) in 1960:

A king of Benin (Onu Ibini, as he is known in Igala traditons) quarrelled with his wife, and so when this wife delivered male child, she didn't present it to the Onu Ibini. Shortly after, one of her co-wives had a male child, too, and quickly took it to see the Onu. Because of this, the Onu recognised this second male child as the heir to his throne.

When the Onu finally died, the two brothers jostled for the crown. Tired of the fighting, the younger brother (who had been recognised by the late Onu as his heir, and who consequently had the royal insignia in his possession) led his followers away. Some of the followers dropped off on the way and settled in places like Asaba and Kurukuru (Ingele - I don't know if this is the same place as Inyelen). Eventually, the younger prince crossed the Niger and came to Idah, where the elders of the place invited him to settle with them and made him their Ata.

Boston also noted that at Idah, the heir-elect is given the title of Adokainya, which is terminologically cognate with the Bini title of Edaiken for the heir apparent.

One thing to bear in mind is that the Igala have had at least three dynasties:

the indigenous or Okpoto dynasty, which was later replaced by the Bini dynasty, which was in turn replaced by the current Ayagba line of Kings believed to be descended from the Apa or Jukun.

Concerning the Igbo connection:

Aguleri (Igbo) traditions claim that Eri's only son by his second wife travelled north and founded Idah. The reasons given for his departure from Aguleri was that after their father's death, his mother feared that his half-brothers would plot against him, hence his mother got him to move away and establish his own settlement.

Now, the Igala do not tell the same exact story, but from some of their traditions, it is possible to deduce that Igbo elements were an important ( perhaps even the most important) sector of Idah from very early times, before it became the political centre of an Igala Kingdom.

According to the Igala:

When Ebulejonu (Ebelejawne - the name has like a dozen variations) got to Idah, the various 'pre-Ebulejonu' clans there already recognized the Achadu's clan (which was of Igbo origin) as the pre-eminent clan. Ebulejonu herself married the Achadu (said to be an Igbo hunter) who then became her consort while she became ruler of Idah. The Igala say that this is why the Atta perforates his ears and wears earrings -- he is a 'woman' and 'wife of the Achadu'.

So, when you ignore exaggerations and oversimplifications associated with oral traditions, you find that Igala traditions and Igbo traditions corroborate each other on basic points, which is that Igbo elements got to Idah in very early times, before the rise of its monarchy, and that Igbo elements played some role in the rise of the Idah monarchy.

2 Likes

Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by macof(m): 12:33am On Aug 14, 2015
Radoillo:

Concerning the Bini connection, let me summarise oral traditions collected in Idah by JS Boston (this guy did very excellent work on the Igala) in 1960:

A king of Benin (Onu Ibini, as he is known in Igala traditons) quarrelled with his wife, and so when this wife delivered male child, she didn't present it to the Onu Ibini. Shortly after, one of her co-wives had a male child, too, and quickly took it to see the Onu. Because of this, the Onu recognised this second male child as the heir to his throne.

When the Onu finally died, the two brothers jostled for the crown. Tired of the fighting, the younger brother (who had been recognised by the late Onu as his heir, and who consequently had the royal insignia in his possession) led his followers away. Some of the followers dropped off on the way and settled in places like Asaba and Kurukuru (Ingele - I don't know if this is the same place as Inyelen). Eventually, the younger prince crossed the Niger and came to Idah, where the elders of the place invited him to settle with them and made him their Ata.

Boston also noted that at Idah, the heir-elect is given the title of Adokainya, which is terminologically cognate with the Bini title of Edaiken for the heir apparent.

One thing to bear in mind is that the Igala have had at least three dynasties:

the indigenous or Okpoto dynasty, which was later replaced by the Bini dynasty, which was in turn replaced by the current Ayagba line of Kings believed to be descended from the Apa or Jukun.

Concerning the Igbo connection:

Aguleri (Igbo) traditions claim that Eri's only son by his second wife travelled north and founded Idah. The reasons given for his departure from Aguleri was that after their father's death, his mother feared that his half-brothers would plot against him, hence his mother got him to move away and establish his own settlement.

Now, the Igala do not tell the same exact story, but from some of their traditions, it is possible to deduce that Igbo elements were an important ( perhaps even the most important) sector of Idah from very early times, before it became the political centre of an Igala Kingdom.

According to the Igala:

When Ebulejonu (Ebelejawne - the name has like a dozen variations) got to Idah, the various 'pre-Ebulejonu' clans there already recognized the Achadu's clan (which was of Igbo origin) as the pre-eminent clan. Ebulejonu herself married the Achadu (said to be an Igbo hunter) who then became her consort while she became ruler of Idah. The Igala say that this is why the Atta perforates his ears and wears earrings -- he is a 'woman' and 'wife of the Achadu'.

So, when you ignore exaggerations and oversimplifications associated with oral traditions, you find that Igala traditions and Igbo traditions corroborate each other on basic points, which is that Igbo elements got to Idah in very early times, before the rise of its monarchy, and that Igbo elements played some role in the rise of the Idah monarchy.

Are you saying the Bini and igbo factor saw rise to different dynasties before Ebulejonu?

Although I think you have valid points especially with Achadu being husband to Ebulejonu
If theres one thing I know ; it's that the Achadu is the second after the Attah and the primary kingmaker...and I have read that Ebulejonu's children didn't continue, her brother did and since Idoko (about 1440) no foreign person has become Attah, they've all descended from him starting with his son Ayegba(some would ascribe the role of Idoko to Ayegba and remove Idoko from the list of Kings. ..maybe they were one and the same person known as Ayegba Oma Idoko) He led the Igala to freedom from the jukun powers. So I'll say, by my knowledge, Ayegba/Idoko displaced the Kings of Jukun origin(not Bini) and most likely wasn't jukun himself

So it's very possible that the Achadu line or any earlier chief/king in a Igala was a son of Eri
Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by bigfrancis21: 1:28am On Aug 14, 2015
OfoIgbo:

This is quite informative. I am actually from Enugwu-ukwu (diokpala nri) myself and quite familiar with the oral traditions.

I remember seeing an 'idah' somewhere in Nsukka one day while returning to school and I found it interesting that 2 different places in Nsukka and Igala land could be named 'Idah'.

Recently I was looking at the potential PUME candidates list of UNN and I came across several full-blooded Igbo names with state of origin listed as Kogi. Could they be from Idah? Where in Kogi exactly can we find Igbo-speaking natives? I remember one time in a bus back to Owerri from Nsukka at Peace Park Nsukka, some Igala passengers who could speak Igbo were in the bus as me and one Igbo passenger who could speak Igala, and the Igala passengers were conversing to and fro in both languages and one of the Igala ladies mentioned that Igbos can be found in Idah.

With Radoillo's narrative given above, is it safe to say that some Igbo natives could still be found in Idah till today? Radoillo, what is your take on this?
Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:52am On Aug 14, 2015
bigfrancis21:

This is quite informative. I am actually from Enugwu-ukwu (diokpala nri) myself and quite familiar with the oral traditions.

I remember seeing an 'idah' somewhere in Nsukka one day while returning to school and I found it interesting that 2 different places in Nsukka and Igala land could be named 'Idah'.

Recently I was looking at the potential PUME candidates list of UNN and I came across several full-blooded Igbo names with state of origin listed as Kogi. Could they be from Idah? Where in Kogi exactly can we find Igbo-speaking natives? I remember one time in a bus back to Owerri from Nsukka at Peace Park Nsukka, some Igala passengers who could speak Igbo were in the bus as me and one Igbo passenger who could speak Igala, and the Igala passengers were conversing to and fro in both languages and one of the Igala ladies mentioned that Igbos can be found in Idah.

With Radoillo's narrative given below, is it safe to say that some Igbo natives could still be found in Idah till today? Radoillo, what is your take on this?

How can Enugwu Ukwu be be Okpala Nri while Ifeukwuanim is there ?
And no,there are no Igbo natives in Ida because they are not Igbo and I don't think they would like it if you call them Igbo.
Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by bigfrancis21: 2:36am On Aug 14, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

How can Enugwu Ukwu be be Okpala Nri while Ifeukwuanim is there ?
And no,there are no Igbo natives in Ida because they are not Igbo and I don't think they would like it if you call them Igbo.

I know that there has been the first son tussle going on for sometime among umunri clans. However, I was told that ofor nri (ofor which passes down from father to son according to Igbo traditions) lies in Enugwu-ukwu, a right accorded to Enugwu-ukwu, supposedly being the first-son descendants of Nri. What are your thoughts?
Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by Nobody: 3:52am On Aug 14, 2015
macof:

Are you saying the Bini and igbo factor saw rise to different dynasties before Ebulejonu?

Although I think you have valid points especially with Achadu being husband to Ebulejonu
If theres one thing I know ; it's that the Achadu is the second after the Attah and the primary kingmaker...and I have read that Ebulejonu's children didn't continue, her brother did and since Idoko (about 1440) no foreign person has become Attah, they've all descended from him starting with his son Ayegba(some would ascribe the role of Idoko to Ayegba and remove Idoko from the list of Kings. ..maybe they were one and the same person known as Ayegba Oma Idoko) He led the Igala to freedom from the jukun powers. So I'll say, by my knowledge, Ayegba/Idoko displaced the Kings of Jukun origin(not Bini) and most likely wasn't jukun himself

So it's very possible that the Achadu line or any earlier chief/king in a Igala was a son of Eri

No, the Igbo line did not found a dynasty per se. The Igbo 'line' ( the Achadu line) only had headship of the clans in the Idah area in the pre-monarchy days of Idah.

I found it puzzling, too, that Ayegba could be ascribed an Apa origin since it was his line that ended Idah's subjection to the Jukun. But maybe he was a Jukun viceroy who rebelled against his master and established an independent kingdom for himself at Idah. I'll look for some published sources on this.

@bigFrancis: Looking for Igbo natives in Idah today would be like looking for Ibibio natives in Arochukwu, or Bini natives in Itsekiri, or Igala natives in Ossomala. There are none

3 Likes

Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by macof(m): 9:38am On Aug 14, 2015
Radoillo:

No, the Igbo line did not found a dynasty per se. The Igbo 'line' ( the Achadu line) only had headship of the clans in the Idah area in the pre-monarchy days of Idah.

I found it puzzling, too, that Ayegba could be ascribed an Apa origin since it was his line that ended Idah's subjection to the Jukun. But maybe he was a Jukun viceroy who rebelled against his master and established an independent kingdom for himself at Idah. I'll look for some published sources on this.

@bigFrancis: Looking for Igbo natives in Idah today would be like looking for Ibibio natives in Arochukwu, or Bini natives in Itsekiri, or Igala natives in Ossomala. There are none

And you believe Achadu line are of Igbo origin descended from Eri?

Hmm a Jukun man helping Igala against his people? Seems so unafrican considering this was the 15th century

1 Like

Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by macof(m): 10:00am On Aug 14, 2015
Lemme add to the part in bold:

People seem to underestimate the power of ethnic assimilation.
Bigfrancis21 some lineages might have igbo origins doesn't make them igbo natives. ..they are Igala
Everywhere in the world you have people who migrated from different places but over time they develop their unique identity...how sure are you that ur lineage has always been of igboland? Or let's say your hometown
Try to understand that

1 Like

Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by Nobody: 11:05am On Aug 14, 2015
macof:

And you believe Achadu line are of Igbo origin descended from Eri?

Nobody can say with certainty, since Igala traditions did not specifically say 'Eri' or 'Umueri' but only said 'Igbo'. However, since the Umueri group are the only Igbo group with traditions of having moved and settled in Idah, and are the Igbo group with the strongest claims of kinship with the Igala, it is most likely that this Igbo Achadu came from that axis, i.e., the Umueri axis.

To elaborate further on what i said about there being no Igbo natives in today's Idah: When people have adopted the language and culture of the people they have settled among as their primary identity, it makes no sense to continue defining them by the identity their ancestors bore. The Achadu clan are today Igala in speech and culture, thus you can't keep calling them Igbo natives, same way you won't be making much sense if you say that Itsekiri land and Lagos Island has Bini natives today.

In any case, it appears that a later Ata broke the old Achadu line when he appointed one Omeppa from Ankpa as the Achadu. The implication is that the present Achadu line may not necessarily be the old (Igbo) one that Ebulejonu entered into a marriage alliance with. I just wanted to throw that in and avoid any confusion that might arise should Omeppa's name come up later.

Hmm a Jukun man helping Igala against his people? Seems so unafrican considering this was the 15th century

Is it far-fetched? Don't think so. This extract is from 'Nigeria: an introduction to its history' by Michael Crowder and Guda Abdullah:

The present dynasty [of the Igala State]....was founded from Wukari, the Jukun capital. It was Ayegba Om Idoko, the ancestor of all subsequent Atas, who broke the tributary relationship with the Jukun and when the Jukun invaded Idah to reassert their authority it was he who defeated them. We know almost nothing about the dynasties which his [i.e., Ayagba's] Wukari dynasty replaced.

Many other historians including Obayemi, Sargent and Boston have gone into some more details, but this should suffice here.

Like I said, it isnt far-fetched. A branch of the Jukun royal family established a kingdom based in Idah, which was tributary to the main jukun royal family in the parent kingdom at Wukari. Later the Jukun branch at Idah sought to rule their own Kingdom independently and thus rebelled against the 'parent kingdom' --- like English-descended Americans rebelling against the King of England in the 18th century.

I might also add that in the 19th century the Aku people of the Nsukka area defeated an Igala army with the aid of an Igala man known as Diewa who had earlier settled in Aku and adopted the town as his home.

2 Likes

Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by cheruv: 11:55am On Aug 14, 2015
Radoillo and bigfrancis..
Pls I'd like to know more about the battle of omeluigala..what happened there
Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by Nobody: 12:28pm On Aug 14, 2015
I do not have all the details, but it was a 19th century conflict between the town of Aku and an army or slave-raiding party from Igala. The battle was fought near a lake, and Aku soundly defeated the Igala. The lake is still there and is still known as Omeru Lake or Omeru Igala Lake in full.

[Omeru Igala means 'Vanquisher of the Igala]

2 Likes

Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by bigfrancis21: 12:56pm On Aug 14, 2015
Radoillo:
I do not have all the details, but it was a 19th century conflict between the town of Aku and an army or slave-raiding party from Igala. The battle was fought near a lake, and Aku soundly defeated the Igala. The lake is still there and is still known as Omeru Lake or Omeru Igala Lake in full.

[Omeru Igala means 'Vanquisher of the Igala]

I suppose 'omeru Igala' is an Igala name? Isn't it funny how 'omeluigala' sounds quite familiar in Igbo as 'omeli Igala' or 'omeri Igala' meaning 'winner or vanquisher of the Igala'?
Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by Nobody: 2:49pm On Aug 14, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I suppose 'omeru Igala' is an Igala name? Isn't it funny how 'omeluigala' sounds quite familiar in Igbo as 'omeli Igala' or 'omeri Igala' meaning 'winner or vanquisher of the Igala'?

I'm not quite sure I follow. Why would 'Omeru Igala' be an Igala name? It was Aku who gave the lake that name (after defeating the Igala in a battle near it), as a commemoration ....and Aku is an Igbo town close to Nsukka.

2 Likes

Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by macof(m): 4:33pm On Aug 14, 2015
Radoillo:

Nobody can say with certainty, since Igala traditions did not specifically say 'Eri' or 'Umueri' but only said 'Igbo'. However, since the Umueri group are the only Igbo group with traditions of having moved and settled in Idah, and are the Igbo group with the strongest claims of kinship with the Igala, it is most likely that this Igbo Achadu came from that axis, i.e., the Umueri axis.

To elaborate further on what i said about there being no Igbo natives in today's Idah: When people have adopted the language and culture of the people they have settled among as their primary identity, it makes no sense to continue defining them by the identity their ancestors bore. The Achadu clan are today Igala in speech and culture, thus you can't keep calling them Igbo natives, same way you won't be making much sense if you say that Itsekiri land and Lagos Island has Bini natives today.

In any case, it appears that a later Ata broke the old Achadu line when he appointed one Omeppa from Ankpa as the Achadu. The implication is that the present Achadu line may not necessarily be the old (Igbo) one that Ebulejonu entered into a marriage alliance with. I just wanted to throw that in and avoid any confusion that might arise should Omeppa's name come up later.

Is it far-fetched? Don't think so. This extract is from 'Nigeria: an introduction to its history' by Michael Crowder and Guda Abdullah:

The present dynasty [of the Igala State]....was founded from Wukari, the Jukun capital. It was Ayegba Om Idoko, the ancestor of all subsequent Atas, who broke the tributary relationship with the Jukun and when the Jukun invaded Idah to reassert their authority it was he who defeated them. We know almost nothing about the dynasties which his [i.e., Ayagba's] Wukari dynasty replaced.

Many other historians including Obayemi, Sargent and Boston have gone into some more details, but this should suffice here.

Like I said, it isnt far-fetched. A branch of the Jukun royal family established a kingdom based in Idah, which was tributary to the main jukun royal family in the parent kingdom at Wukari. Later the Jukun branch at Idah sought to rule their own Kingdom independently and thus rebelled against the 'parent kingdom' --- like English-descended Americans rebelling against the King of England in the 18th century.

I might also add that in the 19th century the Aku people of the Nsukka area defeated an Igala army with the aid of an Igala man known as Diewa who had earlier settled in Aku and adopted the town as his home.

Was Ayegba a new foreigner or From the line of Attahs started by Ebulejonu?
Am asking this to understand the part in bold
Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by Nobody: 5:22pm On Aug 14, 2015
macof:

Was Ayegba a new foreigner or From the line of Attahs started by Ebulejonu?
Am asking this to understand the part in bold

It was the same line.

This is how the traditions go:

Abutu Eje left from Jukun/Kwararafa. He never got to Idah, because he died and was buried at Amagedde. His two children, Ebulejonu (daughter) and Agenepoje (son) eventually reached Idah. Ebulejonu inherited the leadership and married the Igbo Achadu (whose personal name is given as Ahaga Okpuluwa). After Ebulejonu, leadership passes to her brother Agenepoje, the father of Idoko. Idoko then fathered Ayegba (Ayegba Om' Idoko) who established the dynasty as an independent (from Wukari) line of rulers.

2 Likes

Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by macof(m): 5:30pm On Aug 14, 2015
Radoillo:

It was the same line.

This is how the traditions go:

Abutu Eje left from Jukun/Kwararafa. He never got to Idah, because he died and was buried at Amagedde. His two children, Ebulejonu (daughter) and Agenepoje (son) eventually reached Idah. Ebulejonu inherited the leadership and married the Igbo Achadu (whose personal name is given as Ahaga Okpuluwa). After Ebulejonu, leadership passes to his brother Agenepoje, the father of Idoko. Idoko then fathered Ayegba (Ayegba Om' Idoko) who established the dynasty as an independent (from Wukari) line of rulers.

ok. it makes sense.

thanks for the clarity
Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by UmuEri(m): 8:28pm On Aug 15, 2015
You guys should stop mentioning me na!
grin grin grin

*my monika*

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Meet Aare Boluwatife Akin-Olugbade: Owner Of 10 Rolls-Royces (PHOTOS) / Lady Makes Shorts With "Isi Agu": "This Is A Total Disrespect To Our Culture" / Olori Badirat Adeyemi, Alaafin Of Oyo's Youngest Wife, Slays In New Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.