Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,768 members, 7,806,115 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:38 AM

Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do (44258 Views)

I Have #32,000. Which Awesome Smartphone Can I Buy? / 5 Interesting Things That Happen When You Abandon Social Media / Whatsapp And Wikipedia: Do You Know Your Whatsapp Can do This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by Funjosh(m): 3:50pm On Aug 01, 2015
ok
Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by LOUIS6(m): 3:50pm On Aug 01, 2015
Op... na wa for u oooo....

Where blackberry own nah?...
Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by KinkyAngela(f): 3:50pm On Aug 01, 2015
SmartPhones are smarter than some goons on Nairaland
Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by NelsonNeo(m): 3:51pm On Aug 01, 2015
Nothing new! nice try tho
Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by kadunasouth(m): 3:52pm On Aug 01, 2015
Brilliant I will had u 5 more interst leta
Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by banjobanks(m): 3:53pm On Aug 01, 2015
thanks for the info.
Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by Lexusgs430: 3:53pm On Aug 01, 2015
You can also download an app called Criticall Pro, for those moments when you need to turn your ringer off, but would still like to be notified, when certain people call or send sms.
Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by Lexusgs430: 3:54pm On Aug 01, 2015
KinkyAngela:
SmartPhones are smarter than some goons on Nairaland

Its the kinkyness in you that is confusing them!!!
Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by Nobody: 4:00pm On Aug 01, 2015
D34lw4p:
You’ve had your smartphone for a while, but let’s face it: You’ve never read the manual. You take great pride that you know how to use it, and then it happens: You see someone do something extraordinary with his or her phone that you did not know was even possible.

Friends don’t let friends have smartphone skill envy. Here are some of my favorite secrets buried in your phone settings that you probably don't know, but will use now.

1. Take a screenshot
Have you ever wanted to capture something on your phone's screen? Maybe it's a hilarious text from a friend, or an interesting Facebook post, or you want to send someone an image to show her how to do something.

-iPhone
Press and hold the Home button along with the Sleep/Wake button. You should hear a shutter click. The screenshot will appear in your Camera Roll or Saved Photos section.

-Android
Hold the Power and Volume Down buttons at the same time. The image is saved to the "Captured Images" folder in your Gallery app. That only works in Android 4.0 and higher, though. For Android 3.0, 2.3 or earlier, use an app like AirDroid.

2. Block calls and texts
Have you ever had someone who just won't stop calling or texting you, even after you asked nicely? Here's how to block him.

-iPhone
To block calls on an iPhone with iOS 7 or later, open the Phone or FaceTime app. If the person is already a contact, tap his name, scroll to the bottom of the page and tap Block This Caller. Then tap Block Contact.

If the person isn't a contact, tap the Info button, then scroll to the bottom of the page and tap Block this Caller. Then tap Block Contact.
If you want to block texts, open the Messages app and tap a message from the person you want to block. Tap Contact in the upper right and then tap the Info button. Scroll to the bottom and tap Block this Caller. Then tap Block Contact.

You can edit your blocked contacts later at these locations:
Settings>>Phone>>Blocked
Settings>>Messages>>Blocked
Settings>>FaceTime>>Blocked

-Android
On Android, go to Settings>>Call settings>>Call block. Under "Incoming calls" tap "Call block list" and then tap Create. You can enter a number, or tap the picture icon to find the number in your Contacts list or in your call logs.
If you don't see these steps or want more blocking options, check out these call- and text-blocking apps.

3. Use a real password
iPhone and Android both default to a 4-digit PIN for unlocking the phone. That's OK as long as you don't use something simple like 0000 or 1234. However, I know some people who want even more security.

-iPhone
To set a real password on an iPhone, go to Settings>>Passcode. From there, swipe off the option that says Simple Passcode. Here, you can set your passcode with letters and special characters for better phone security.

-Android
Go to Settings>>Lock screen and tap Screen lock. You can set what level of security you want, from a simple swipe to a password. Select Password and type in the password that you want. It should have a mix of letters, numbers and special characters to be really safe.

4. See text more easily
Having a hard time reading things on your phone's small screen? Bump up the font size to something a bit easier to see.

-iPhone
Go to Settings>>General>>Accessibility and turn on Bold Text and Larger Text. You can choose either one or both, depending on your preferences. You will need to restart your phone for Bold Text to take effect.

-Android
Go to Settings>>Accessibility. Under Vision, tap Font size and set it to Large. Some phones include an even larger Huge option.

5. Read things out loud
Want to keep your eyes off your phone for a bit? Have it read things to you out loud.

-iPhone
Go to Settings>>General>>Accessibility and turn on VoiceOver. You have the option to practice with VoiceOver, set the speaking rate and more.

You will need to do some playing around to get used to it. For example you can touch and drag your fingers around the home screen to have it read what's there. Double tap to activate an app, while one tap will give you details about it.

VoiceOver will read directions to you in Maps, have your camera tell you how many people are in your shot, and get spoken photo descriptions. You can also handwrite notes and letters on the screen and have VoiceOver translate your messages into text for Mail and other apps.

-Android
Go to Settings>>Accessibility and tap TalkBack. If you don't see it, you can download it from the Google Play store.

Turn it on and your phone will read whatever you touch on the screen and incoming notifications. Hint: To perform a regular swipe gesture, you have to use two fingers instead of one.

To adjust your TalkBack settings, go to Settings>>Accessibility and tap Text-to-Speech options. You can adjust the voice engine and speed rate.

Then go to Settings and turn on Hands-free mode. This will tell you who is calling or messaging.

Source: http://www.nct.com.ng/forum/some-interesting-things-you-didnt-know-your-phone-can-do_400_p1.html
THIS IS OLD STORY. NEXT PLEASE!!!
Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by VICALUFUO(m): 4:01pm On Aug 01, 2015
wishing papillo, myself and van vicker happy birthday. there is something in common btw us.

1 Like

Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by Judolisco(m): 4:04pm On Aug 01, 2015
No widows phone
Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by Nobody: 4:05pm On Aug 01, 2015
I know it does all that smiley
Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by lampardizik(m): 4:08pm On Aug 01, 2015
INTROVERT:
Don't message me, I'll never respond.

But I can quote ba
Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by D34lw4p(m): 4:08pm On Aug 01, 2015
VALENCI:
THIS IS OLD STORY. NEXT PLEASE!!!

Hello Man! Is it because u knw it bfore? Y dont u reason that there are some people who have not read any of those tips bfore?
If someone like u is a president lot of people will suffer because you think about yourself alone!

3 Likes

Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by poweredcom(m): 4:08pm On Aug 01, 2015
My smartfone can bang olosho
Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by peeta89(m): 4:10pm On Aug 01, 2015
It's a nice thread though. But you did not say anything about BlackBerry smart phones. You only talked about Android and iphones.

2 Likes

Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by pimplucious: 4:27pm On Aug 01, 2015
Ahahahah I once did a screen capture but didn't know how I managed to and I've been trying to wiggle round my phone to so it again but couldn't until now. Hi5 bro. Wicked!!!!
Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by Nobody: 4:59pm On Aug 01, 2015
Lexusgs430:
You can also download an app called Criticall Pro, for those moments when you need to turn your ringer off, but would still like to be notified, when certain people call or send sms.
My phone can do that without an app. Maybe cos it's a Google phone.
Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by Kentrasso(f): 5:09pm On Aug 01, 2015
If u are using music player and want to turn it off simply turn your android phone face down. It automatically pauses
Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by Berrypie(f): 5:18pm On Aug 01, 2015
Interesting
Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by Nobody: 5:23pm On Aug 01, 2015
Blackberry nko?
Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by Bollinger(m): 5:32pm On Aug 01, 2015
jephri:
I hate when people ask for likes on their comments, like if you agree

why are you spamming threads looking for likes? this is the third thread you are doing this na.
Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by Lexusgs430: 5:38pm On Aug 01, 2015
saxywale:

My phone can do that without an app. Maybe cos it's a Google phone.

Possibly. Blackberry phones used to do it, but not my poor Samsung Android.
If only I was rich enough to afford a Nexus range!!!!!!
Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by bqlekan(m): 5:40pm On Aug 01, 2015
hanhan, i was not expecting this.. i was expecting things like, Location lock, sound analysis, temperature check, fire alarm etc anyway thanks for the write up.
Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by chukslawrence(m): 5:46pm On Aug 01, 2015
Blackie users nko?
Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by austineaddy: 5:53pm On Aug 01, 2015
Lexusgs430:

Possibly. Blackberry phones used to do it, but not my poor Samsung Android.
If only I was rich enough to afford a Nexus range!!!!!!
h

How can u get a screenshot wit ur BlackBerry phone?
Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by akpumping7720(m): 5:53pm On Aug 01, 2015
So, nothing for Blackberry baa? #TeamBlackberry
Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by Nobody: 5:54pm On Aug 01, 2015
Hi, pls I tried that voiceover app on my phone (iphone6 plus) now my phone is stuck. I can't even unlock it. It's saying some incoherent jargon.
Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by Nobody: 6:17pm On Aug 01, 2015
ihatebuhari:
Nice
Is that booty for real or padded? I dont trust girls nowadays.
Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by ihatebuhari(f): 6:21pm On Aug 01, 2015
RedBenson:

Is that booty for real or padded? I dont trust girls nowadays.
redbenson redbenson redbenson
Re: Some Interesting Things You Don't Know Your Smartphone Can Do by maxloo(m): 6:29pm On Aug 01, 2015
Bt I knw all dis nw

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Most Expensive Smartphones 2016 / MTN Now Charges 7.5% Vat On Every Call That Is Made / Top 8 Smartphones With 4G Support And Big Batteries That Cost Less Than N50,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.