Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:21 AM

7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. (78779 Views)

Benue Teacher Asked To Pay 1.5 Million Naira As Bride Price (Photo) / Man Insists On Paying Extra Bride Price After Seeing His Wife In This Dress / 2016 Bride Price In Umuahia, Abia State (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 12:06am On Aug 02, 2015
Hmmm I see. The concept is now taken as a necessity which is a sorry situation. Guys go through a lot to marry ladies of their choice most times because this...
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by HerexG(m): 12:07am On Aug 02, 2015
hopilo4life:

Why will the passage quoted not be irrelevant to you,when it was talking about bride price payed for women that are VIGIN.

Can't you get it that those laws are for the Jews nd not w Africans, embrace true Africanism dude

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Psuedy(f): 12:09am On Aug 02, 2015
Someone wil jst stay wia he is;think out sumtin as as silly as dis ; den pick up verses dat sumhow corresponds.. Stingy ppl hiding under d shadow of religion.Dat is y it is said dat marriage is for "men" not "boys" .Men who are responsibly ready for all dat comes wit getting married & staying married..very soon dey wil say traditional marriage is a sin and should b stopped ...plss bride price has been & wil always b part of our tradition...

3 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Psuedy(f): 12:11am On Aug 02, 2015
SonOfEl:
STUDY ROMANS 13, WHICH SPEAKS OF HONOURING CUSTOMS FOR WHOM IT IS DUE.
ALSO, JUDAIC PRACTICES ARE NOT NECESSARILY CHRISTIAN PRACTICES, THEY ONLY SHOW SOME SYMBOLIC SEMBLANCE.
OP TAKE NOTE. WORK HARD AND PAY THE BRIDEPRICE OF ANY CUSTOM YOU HOPE TO MARRY FROM.
SHALOM EVERYONE.

Well said ....
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by finamaris(f): 12:15am On Aug 02, 2015
Let's not jump into conclusion,because to
me dere there is a reason for bride price which is to prepare the groom foR d task ahead

To prepare d groom for d responsibility he is abt to undertake thereby making him strong and independent
To prevent broken homes ( if you never ready make you no enter. Na for matured mind)

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Gracious10: 12:22am On Aug 02, 2015
Well, tell that to igbo parents who are already banking on that bride price to buy a piece of land, car and even show off to their competitors that their daughter brought home a money bag.

Oh believes it when I say the competition among families on who pays higher for their daughters is real. Talk about the size of cows, goats and chickens brought for the marriage rite. They do compare and contrast.

Sometimes, most parents are more interested in monetary gain than instructing their daughter on what to expect in marriage. As long as the man is emptying his pocket, proper counseling of would be brides are found among number of goats and yams.

Igbo culture is beautiful but when it's infested with greed and unnecessary competition, it just hurts.
The happiness of their child is most important. Bride price should be collected but not their outrageous over bloated list and bride price.

It will be nice if prospective in-laws should hold back on flaunting their wealth. If u make a mistake of meeting ur in-laws with ur high priced cars and flaunting of wealth,then be sure to pay equivalent of what u boasting of.

Most people love show off even when they don't have the funds. Be yourself and pau what u can.
If u have a billion dollars to pay on bride price pls bring it on.
But bride price shouldnt be a get rich quick pathway for parents.

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Toks2008(m): 12:24am On Aug 02, 2015
SonOfEl:
STUDY ROMANS 13, WHICH SPEAKS OF HONOURING CUSTOMS FOR WHOM IT IS DUE.
ALSO, JUDAIC PRACTICES ARE NOT NECESSARILY CHRISTIAN PRACTICES, THEY ONLY SHOW SOME SYMBOLIC SEMBLANCE.
OP TAKE NOTE. WORK HARD AND PAY THE BRIDEPRICE OF ANY CUSTOM YOU HOPE TO MARRY FROM.
SHALOM EVERYONE.

If it comees to tithing i guess judaic practise becomes relevant but coming to a specific law God gave his people through Moses its now judaic abi?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Desric(m): 12:24am On Aug 02, 2015
Adaeze003:

The aim of religion is not to uproot us from our culture Mr. The aim of Christianity as far as I'm concerned is to have everlasting life amongst other things. Now, does paying bride price hinder that?

Like I said, those are laws for the jews and not Christians at large.

I do not subscribe to the idea of bride price as well. Slaves are bought not wives. But that's the tradition of the land you're in or intend to marry from. It can be changed but not by hiding behind Christianity. Christianity does not prohibit paying of bride price is all I'm saying.
Now some people are choosing the rules meant for the jews and the ones meant for others but they want full inheritance and privleges as the jews but with reservations. When it suits us, it's our tradition, when it doesnt, it's not Biblical. Christianity now has prefrences, those to choose and those to leave. Na god go dey watch una one by one.

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by hopilo4life(m): 12:27am On Aug 02, 2015
HerexG:

Can't you get it that those laws are for the Jews nd not w Africans, embrace true Africanism dude

What are u saying man,God also gave a command in the Bible that all jews male child penis should be cut .so Bros,as an African like u said,i hope ur own penis is still like the way ur parent gave birth to you.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Desric(m): 12:31am On Aug 02, 2015
finamaris:
me dere there is a reason for bride price which is to prepare the groom foR d task ahead

To prepare d groom for d responsibility he is abt to undertake thereby making him strong and independent
To prevent broken homes ( if you never ready make you no enter. Na for matured mind)
And you didnt read that after Jacob served his father in law he was settled with some amount of .... the father in law demanding for huge bride price for her daughter, what does he has to offer after all or is it not also tradition that the bride's family blesses the groom and the bride to establish them?
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Toks2008(m): 12:31am On Aug 02, 2015
Gabbysky:
There are three faces to marriage: 1. RELIGION, 2. LEGAL, 3. TRADITIONAL.
You have just explained the religious bit.
Now do same for the rest 2, after which I shall reply you personally

I will address this issue in my next write up.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Desric(m): 12:36am On Aug 02, 2015
Psuedy:
Someone wil jst stay wia he is;think out sumtin as as silly as dis ; den pick up verses dat sumhow corresponds.. Stingy ppl hiding under d shadow of religion.Dat is y it is said dat marriage is for "men" not "boys" .Men who are responsibly ready for all dat comes wit getting married & staying married..very soon dey wil say traditional marriage is a sin and should b stopped ...plss bride price has been & wil always b part of our tradition...
Before you expect huge bride price of what economic value are you? Because i guess its only liabilities that reason this way, they want a short cut luxury and wealth disguised in the name of marriage. Some of them cant even make, plane, or keep a home. No wonder there divorce cases, rituals, and lots of diverse crimes everywhere these days becauae of greed and unnecessary show of vanities.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Toks2008(m): 12:37am On Aug 02, 2015
HerexG:
When is does the bible become a standard or guide to our African culture, the earlier we wake up from this westernized delusion the better for us.

Apparently Islam and christianity are delusions right?
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 12:39am On Aug 02, 2015
halfrica:
If i ever get marrid i wud double d bride price and return it even d name bride price is like sellin d lady off dats why most women are maltreated in their homes cos they were bought infact i aint collecting bride price to start wiv am happy the yorubas usually return theirs

Am proud of my tribe aint throwing shade at the oda lights of tribe biko o na beg ni o
AS IN..............................?

SHALL YOU MAKE SMALL SENSE
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Toks2008(m): 12:41am On Aug 02, 2015
HerexG:

Then definitely the ten commandments are only for the jews.

Tithing are only for the jews.

Jesus died only for the jews

All the instructions God gave us in the bible are only for the jews.

When it comes to facing reality some of us become partisan and shy away from the truth.

Just born the bible and quran and become a pagan then.

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 12:50am On Aug 02, 2015
finamaris:

BEFORE I USE TO HAVE THIS MINDSET (MARRIAGE IS FOR MATURE MIND)
IF MARRIAGE IS FOR MATURE MIND (SO YOU SAID) WHY IS THE SAME MATURE MIND HAVING A DIVORCE EVERYWHERE? WHY IS THE SAME MATURE MIND MALTREATING THE MATURE MINDED WIFE? WHY IS THE SAME MATURE MIND GOING OUTSIDE CHEATING ON THE MATURE MINDED WIFE/HUSBAND? undecided

PLS DO MEDITATE ON THIS QUESTION AND ASK YOURSELF WHO THE THE MATURED MIND?

SO THAT'S MEAN THAT JESUS IS NOT A MATURE MINDED PERSON.

PAUL WHO SAID IT IS BETTER TO STAY SINGLE THAN TO MARRY, IS NOT A MATURED MINDED PERSON.

WE HUMAN LOVE TO DECEIVE OUR SELF.

YOU HAVE TO CHANGE THAT MINDSET OF YOURS. ( IT WILL AFFECT YOU IN SOME CERTAIN STAGE OF LIFE)
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by johnstar(m): 12:53am On Aug 02, 2015
Following

My future wife u dey see am

Ma save dis page self
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by BornnAgainChild(f): 12:59am On Aug 02, 2015
Adamsdelrio:
Whaooooo! Thank God my prospective inlaws are Christians. I'm gonna present these facts to them so that I can marry their daughter for free... gringrin

Then get ready to remain single cos even in free town there's no free food
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Psuedy(f): 1:25am On Aug 02, 2015
Desric:
Before you expect huge bride price of what economic value are you? Because i guess its only liabilities that reason this way, they want a short cut luxury and wealth disguised in the name of marriage. Some of them cant even make, plane, or keep a home. No wonder there divorce cases, rituals, and lots of diverse crimes everywhere these days becauae of greed and unnecessary show of vanities.

Heyyy.Easy man;Ur going off point;no b fight.; ..Neva mentioned anytin abt luxury & wealth ;rituals; bla bla bla; jst d basic brideprice & traditional marriage requirements dat most cultures demand...

3 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by holusormi(m): 1:59am On Aug 02, 2015
Don't let our flat-headed brothers see this ooo angry grin
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Gakwe123(m): 2:02am On Aug 02, 2015
Poor people only complain about bride price the rich don't....10million no worth any woman bride price but let the formality continue

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by wrongnumber: 2:04am On Aug 02, 2015
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by wrongnumber: 2:12am On Aug 02, 2015
MarieSucre:

Adaeze is right. The bride price is not paid in the church and not to a priest, but in a traditional setting to the woman's father. This is an African tradition not just a biblical one. And bride price in the bible is not just for virgins. Even Hosea the prophet paid a bride price on his wife Gomer the prostitute. Bathsheba was married to another man but when she remarried David, a bride price was paid on her.

I personally have issues with the idea behind Bride Price. It reduces women to status of merchandise such as furniture and electronics. That's why you hear some men say "After all I spent as your bride price! You must do so and so or you dare not do so and so.

You are so so wrong dear,

In the case of Hosea and Gormer,it was a specific symbolic story of redemption of Isreal by GOD and Gomer was never unfaithful in the very beginning but GOD knew she will be but only wants to use her to pas a message of his undying love for Israel.

Hosea was commanded to marry a woman whom God told him would not be faithful and even when this came to pass,Hosea had to buy her back with a bride price that is half of what GOD commanded which was 15sheckels of silver instead of 50 or 30.

And please go back again and read the story of David and Bathsheba. This was purely an illicit affair that GOD was never pleased with.

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by ebyy(f): 2:15am On Aug 02, 2015
halfrica:

Theif!!!! For free ko on credit ni
grin
halfrica:

Theif!!!! For free ko on credit ni
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by onoja12: 2:17am On Aug 02, 2015
My friend all you have written is simply rubbish, are you attempting to use jewish laws in replacement for African law, or you want to abandon African tradition for a jewish interpretation.my friend this is Africa bible has no explanation when it come to tradition so don't get it twisted

Toks2008:
In many Countries, the issue of Bride price has been known to be a well grounded factor in determining your franchise over the lady.

In some parts of the world, this issue has been blown beyond proportion that huge money is usually asked by the Bride's parent and many suitors see this as very discouraging.

The amazing fact is that if you ask anyone why a bride price must be paid,they will be very quick to answer that GOD commanded it and even our pastors are quick to lay emphasis on this as a condition that must be met before a man and woman can be said to be married before GOD.

But is Bride price really a condition necessary for marriage? Can we say you are really married even if bride price have not been paid? Did GOD specifically lay down this as a law or was it man made tradition? Can Bride price be paid at anytime during the course of the couple living together as Man and wife? and is it proper for the bride's parents to present a list or ask for monetary bride price from the groom's family?

These shocking truths from the very Bible people use as yardstick for bride price will clear the air.

1. Bride price was never a commandment from GOD as a condition for marriage but only as a penalty for rape and in fact, you can still pay the Bride price and still be denied the woman to be your wife by the Father.

Lets read this from the book of exodus 22:16-17:
"If a man seduces a virgin who is not pledged to be married and sleeps with her, he must pay the bride-price, and she shall be his wife.If her father absolutely refuses to give her to him, he must still pay the bride-price for virgins."

Deuteronomy 22:28-29: "If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay her father fifty shekels[a] of silver. He must marry the young woman,for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

2.Monetary bride is to be paid only on a virgin provided the man has slept with her before he decides to marry her but if the man has never slept with her,there should be no need to pay a dime on her.(Read again Exodus 22:16-17 above)

3.Even if a man meets a virgin and defiles her and decides to marry her,no man is expected to pay more than 50shekels of silver as a penalty and according to Google research, 50 shekels of silver is just about 15usd today so what is this madness going on where in some places a man is asked to pay hundreds and thousands for a lady who have probably slept with many men.

4.There was never ever a place in the Bible where GOD commanded the bride's parent to present a list but it is the groom's responsibility to bring whatever he dims fit for the lady he wants to marry.

The great example in the Bible was Isaac's marriage to Rebekah who was a virgin and there was no monetary exchange or penalty whatsoever between the two families but affordable gifts were giving to Rebekkah's family by Abraham but not demanded for by Rebekkah's family. Read Genesis 24:52-54.

5. Bride price according to the bible is all about virgins and all the references and bible verses all point to paying a penalty for defiling a virgin as well as giving gifts as Abraham did to Rebekah who also happen to be a virgin.

Genesis 24:15-16:Before he had finished praying, Rebekah came out with her jar on her shoulder. She was the daughter of Bethuel son of Milkah, who was the wife of Abraham’s brother Nahor.The woman was very beautiful, a virgin; no man had ever slept with her. She went down to the spring, filled her jar and came up again.

6.Payment of monetary bride price on ladies generally whether virgins or non virgins is a tradition and not a direct commandment from GOD and in some countries like india,its a woman that actually pays a dowry on the groom and not the other way round.

7.Presenting list or asking for monetary bride price from a man who conscientiously marries a lady is man made rule and not from GOD hence becomes a sin because its better to obey GOD rather than men.

Acts 5:29:Peter and the other apostles replied: "We must obey God rather than human beings!

Conclusively i would advice that we just flow with the fun fare and traditions of the land and pay the bride price to either the Father of the Bride or the Mother of any lady we want to marry even if she is a LovePeddler.

Nevertheless.outrageous monetary bride price or list must be discouraged because it is not even Biblical in the first place but only necessary to obey customs and traditions.

Even Prophet Mohamed(May the peace of GOD be upon him) has this to say:

"the most blessed marriage is one in which the marriage partners place the least burden on each other" (al-Haythami, Kitab ab-Nikah, 4:255).

My candid take.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by SAMATC(m): 2:19am On Aug 02, 2015
Toks2008:
In many Countries, the issue of Bride price has been known to be a well grounded factor in determining your franchise over the lady.

In some parts of the world, this issue has been blown beyond proportion that huge money is usually asked by the Bride's parent and many suitors see this as very discouraging.

The amazing fact is that if you ask anyone why a bride price must be paid,they will be very quick to answer that GOD commanded it and even our pastors are quick to lay emphasis on this as a condition that must be met before a man and woman can be said to be married before GOD.

But is Bride price really a condition necessary for marriage? Can we say you are really married even if bride price have not been paid? Did GOD specifically lay down this as a law or was it man made tradition? Can Bride price be paid at anytime during the course of the couple living together as Man and wife? and is it proper for the bride's parents to present a list or ask for monetary bride price from the groom's family?

These shocking truths from the very Bible people use as yardstick for bride price will clear the air.

1. Bride price was never a commandment from GOD as a condition for marriage but only as a penalty for rape and in fact, you can still pay the Bride price and still be denied the woman to be your wife by the Father.

"If a man seduces a virgin who is not pledged to be married and sleeps with her, he must pay the bride-price, and she shall be his wife.If her father absolutely refuses to give her to him, he must still pay the bride-price for virgins."

Deuteronomy 22:28-29: "If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay her father fifty shekels[a] of silver. He must marry the young woman,for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

2.Monetary bride is to be paid only on a virgin provided the man has slept with her before he decides to marry her but if the man has never slept with her,there should be no need to pay a dime on her.(Read again Exodus 22:16-17 above)

3.Even if a man meets a virgin and defiles her and decides to marry her,no man is expected to pay more than 50shekels of silver as a penalty and according to Google research, 50 shekels of silver is just about 15usd today so what is this madness going on where in some places a man is asked to pay hundreds and thousands for a lady who have probably slept with many men.

4.There was never ever a place in the Bible where GOD commanded the bride's parent to present a list but it is the groom's responsibility to bring whatever he dims fit for the lady he wants to marry.

The great example in the Bible was Isaac's marriage to Rebekah who was a virgin and there was no monetary exchange or penalty whatsoever between the two families but affordable gifts were giving to Rebekkah's family by Abraham but not demanded for by Rebekkah's family. Read Genesis 24:52-54.

5. Bride price according to the bible is all about virgins and all the references and bible verses all point to paying a penalty for defiling a virgin as well as giving gifts as Abraham did to Rebekah who also happen to be a virgin.

Genesis 24:15-16:Before he had finished praying, Rebekah came out with her jar on her shoulder. She was the daughter of Bethuel son of Milkah, who was the wife of Abraham’s brother Nahor.The woman was very beautiful, a virgin; no man had ever slept with her. She went down to the spring, filled her jar and came up again.

6.Payment of monetary bride price on ladies generally whether virgins or non virgins is a tradition and not a direct commandment from GOD and in some countries like india,its a woman that actually pays a dowry on the groom and not the other way round.

7.Presenting list or asking for monetary bride price from a man who conscientiously marries a lady is man made rule and not from GOD hence becomes a sin because its better to obey GOD rather than men.

Acts 5:29:Peter and the other apostles replied: "We must obey God rather than human beings!

Conclusively i would advice that we just flow with the fun fare and traditions of the land and pay the bride price to either the Father of the Bride or the Mother of any lady we want to marry even if she is a LovePeddler.

Nevertheless.outrageous monetary bride price or list must be discouraged because it is not even Biblical in the first place but only necessary to obey customs and traditions.

"the most blessed marriage is one in which the marriage partners place the least burden on each other" (al-Haythami, Kitab ab-Nikah, 4:255).

My candid take.

Is there any where in the Bible where you are taught how to make love? You must understand that God has given us the freedom to make choices so long as the choices we make don't affect us negatively.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by onoja12: 2:22am On Aug 02, 2015
slave mentality, well get educated traditionalism is the religious belief of Africans not Muslim or Christian and pagan is not a religion

Toks2008:

I honestly dont get your standview.

You are either a christian,muslim or pagan hence the need to adhere to the doctrines of your religion.

oh so its now that you agree that its tradition but probably would have concluded before now that its biblical.

Anyway my point is clear,i was not trying to say we should marry a lady for free and a paragraph in the write up made this clear.

My aim is to point out the fact as you also agreed that its man made tradition.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by onoja12: 2:26am On Aug 02, 2015
slave mentality, anything the white man tells you is good but that of the black man is wrong, my friend wake up, going down on your knee to beg a woman to marry you, is that not an action of a slave

deadZONE:
Nigerian families been selling their
kids since 1899...
am just saving money to buy my own slave.
i dont know why a civilized country would still be doing trash.

This FTC is dedicated to the lady under me, sorry i didnt know u where behind would have open the door for u to walk in first.

kiss kiss kiss
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by wrongnumber: 2:54am On Aug 02, 2015
onoja12:
My friend all you have written is simply rubbish, are you attempting to use jewish laws in replacement for African law, or you want to abandon African tradition for a jewish interpretation.my friend this is Africa bible has no explanation when it come to tradition so don't get it twisted

The op is clear.

I wonder why many of you are fuming up for nothing.

He simply wrote that we should follow traditions and go with the flow of the fun fair but also made it glaringly clear that people should stop using the Bible or Quran as excuse for their greedy tradition but many of you don't ever read and assimilate but just look at a post in a glance and start commenting.

When it comes to placing God's rules and tradition side by side we are compelled to choose that of GOD so i wonder why this subject has turned many people here to pagans clamoring for tradition as if that supersede GOD's ordinances.SMH

4 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 3:00am On Aug 02, 2015
Toks2008:

My candid take.

Nawa oo..op are you saying people should abandon their own traditions and copy that of the Hebrews?? after adhering to the 10 commandments we now have to follow their traditions on how they give out their daughters in marriagesomehow for you to have written this lengthy article with quotations from the bible that depict no direct instruction from God but cultures and traditions of a people.!!!!
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by mencade5(m): 3:32am On Aug 02, 2015
Toks2008:

If it comees to tithing i guess judaic practise becomes relevant but coming to a specific law God gave his people through Moses its now judaic abi?
thank you very much.

this was the same thing i was thinking. they will dodge the issue of tithe yet go against this.one.

i tire for nigerians.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Husband Denies Me Sex And Affection...its Killing Me / Nigerian Man Baths His Baby, Becomes An Internet Sensation (Photos, Video) / Parents, Don't Allow Your Kids To Run To Meet You When You Return Home. See Why

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.