Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,957 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:14 AM

7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. (78752 Views)

Benue Teacher Asked To Pay 1.5 Million Naira As Bride Price (Photo) / Man Insists On Paying Extra Bride Price After Seeing His Wife In This Dress / 2016 Bride Price In Umuahia, Abia State (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Seventeen(f): 8:02am On Aug 02, 2015
ylaa:
i strongly believe that the writer of this article has no money to pay his bride price.
receive the grace to do so.
no mind am... D one wey surprise me pass is his attempt to change 50shekels to present day money.... Hahahaha.... Omo... na 0.001kobo he de plan gv d bride parents be dat ooo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by deadZONE: 8:05am On Aug 02, 2015
onoja12:
slave mentality, anything the white man tells you is good but that of the black man is wrong, my friend wake up, going down on your knee to beg a woman to marry you, is that not an action of a slave

mumu we are talking about the paying of bride price and not proposing to a woman, abi is going down on ur knees a Nigerian culture sef?? receive sense IJN.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by SonOfEl(m): 8:05am On Aug 02, 2015
mencade5:
thank you very much.

this was the same thing i was thinking. they will dodge the issue of tithe yet go against this.one.

i tire for nigerians.

tithing was done before Judaic law existed....take note of that..... and mind you, not all churches emphasize tithes. so work hard and honour God and peoples customs
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by hardbody: 8:07am On Aug 02, 2015
wrongnumber:

Is it about poverty? see me see wahala.

Honestly i can sell my properties to give a bride price on a lady i disvirgined and wants to marry or a lady i marry as a virgin,no wonder Abraham gave so much to rebekah.

A man can also pay a billion dollars in cash for a bride price of a love peddler if he so desires BUT THE SIMPLE TRUTH FROM THE BIBLE IS THAT NO PARENT SHOULD ASK FOR MONATARY BRIDE PRICE OR HAND OVER A LIST but if it has been a tradition all well and good but this tradition should not be too greedy and selfish to the extent that it will put a whole in the pockets of the groom.

This is not about poverty. Do you know how many guys out there that are sincerely ready to marry? A guy that makes 40k or 50k per month can manage to take care of a wife and even two kids while they pray for more blessing from GOD but for this man to marry he has to save up about 500k for owanbe,aso ebi and so on and in some eastern part, a man with 500k for marriage is a joker so tell me what happens next?

These guys wil just keep mum and start scrwng the ladies who wil not also complain because according to their dumb brain,the guy is not ready until they discover they are 30 and starts running from pillar to post.

I asked a simple question and you are still skirting it.

I repeat; what is the implication of taking Adam's rib to mold a wife for him? Was it impossible for God to take the dust of the earth and create another woman for him? I asked again, what does quid pro quo mean? in the context of the discourse, tie that in with the rib theory of Adam and Eve.

While at it, I am not aware that the Bible was at any point categorical about non-payment of bride price

2 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by wrongnumber: 8:08am On Aug 02, 2015
Seventeen:
no mind am... D one wey surprise me pass is his attempt to change 50shekels to present day money.... Hahahaha.... Omo... na 0.001kobo he de plan gv d bride parents be dat ooo

Except he is trying to marry an Igbo lady then maybe this assertion might be true but all i saw is an opinionated and intelligent writer.I have gone through his threads and i can see that he writes well from political matters to family and so on but in Nigeria we are always quick to relate a writer's perspective to his personal life and this is a sign of immaturity for those who do so.

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by wrongnumber: 8:10am On Aug 02, 2015
hardbody:

I asked a simple question and you are still skirting it.

I repeat; what is the implication of taking Adam's rib to mold a wife for him? Was it impossible for God to take the dust of the earth and create another woman for him? I asked again, what does quid pro quo mean? in the context of the discourse, tie that in with the rib theory of Adam and Eve.

While at it, I am not aware that the Bible was at any point categorical about non-payment of bride price

I am very sure you never read the Op write up.Please read again and very meticulously and i gue you will not be asking these rhetorical questions.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by omoiseselagba: 8:11am On Aug 02, 2015
Toks2008:

I honestly dont get your standview.

You are either a christian,muslim or pagan hence the need to adhere to the doctrines of your religion.

oh so its now that you agree that its tradition but probably would have concluded before now that its biblical.

Anyway my point is clear,i was not trying to say we should marry a lady for free and a paragraph in the write up made this clear.

My aim is to point out the fact as you also agreed that its man made tradition.
all laws are man.made
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by safarigirl(f): 8:12am On Aug 02, 2015
wrongnumber:

98% of every guy who wants to marry wants to pay bride price but when a tradition has turned to extortion,greedy self-centered people have taking advantage of the lies that Its even in the bible to ask for crazy bride price and hand over stwpid list then it becomes imperative that we tell them to dissociate the Bible from their greedy cravings and that is what i believe the OP[ have successful did.

I was at a restaurant yesterday night and i heard where some igbo women were going on and on talking about how expensive their daughters are and having just read this write up i asked them that why are they placing so much importance on bride price they never wasted a sec to answer that haha shebbi even the bible COMMANDS MEN to pay bride price and i felt like slapping them but kept mum to avoid baseless arguments. I pity the igbo ladies especially and that is why only 3 out of 10 will marry early while most of them end up from one man to another because no man is interested in wasting so much on a lady that have probably been with Emeka,chike,paul,yobo...

GOD bless the OP.
I can never give my daughter out to any man complaining of bride price. If you can't afford it,.then you can't afford a family.

I will never marry my daughter off to such a man. If you have to bytch and moan before you can do what has been done for ages then you're not man eenough. Did the 98% of guys that can't afford bride price think they'll abolish it when they want to marry?

People should save for marriage early on. When you start dating, you should start saving for a marriage, or you put off dating till you can afford one. Don't tell me you can't afford it when it's time. What have you been doing since? Abi no be your age mates dey marry? Are they superhuman? That's like knowing you have an exam, but you choose.to not read hoping the exam will be scrapped.

Lack of preparation is not an excuse. If you know in the next 3 years, you can't afford a marriage if it comes up, then don't date.

I have many terrible stories about men who can't afford families and still get married. None of them is encouraging, so I loathe this entire idea of skipping bride price. In fact, if I can, I would make sure the man pays me every dime I spent on her education cuz I know I would stand to gain more from a single working class daughter than a married one.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by hardbody: 8:13am On Aug 02, 2015
wrongnumber:

I am very sure you never read the Op write up.Please read again and very meticulously and i gue you will not be asking these rhetorical questions.

I read it all through, from beginning to the end, and what i read elicited my questions. I DEMAND answers.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by mencade5(m): 8:16am On Aug 02, 2015
zeongeon:
Its funny how we guyz pay bride price for a girl who has slept with other guyz who didn't have to pay her bride price..They simply had her perform duties of a W.I.F.E (washing, ironing, fucking, etc.) for FREE.

To me the only time a man should pay bride price is when he is marrying a virgin and Not some girl that has bleeped all and every and they still give u list with 50tubers of yam, 2 he-goats, 10 cocks, 5 hens, 2bags of rice, 20 pieces of wrapper...u can add urs.
hahaha.....10gallons of palm oil.

the worst part is that their pusssccciiii has become widened like river niger.....chaiii...
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by SonOfEl(m): 8:18am On Aug 02, 2015
wrongnumber:

Except he is trying to marry an Igbo lady then maybe this assertion might be true but all i saw is an opinionated and intelligent writer.I have gone through his threads and i can see that he writes well from political matters to family and so on but in Nigeria we are always quick to relate a writer's perspective to his personal life and this is a sign of immaturity for those who do so.

I disagree with you. people like op should stop threading on issues he is blatantly ignorant of. his supporters on this thread have shown an even more blatant ignorance on this issue.
if you need comprehensive answers, go to church.
respect peoples customs, whether Igbo, Jewish, Asian, etc.
FYI, Judaic religion is not christian religion, they only share moral and symbolic semblances.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by oliver003: 8:21am On Aug 02, 2015
deadZONE:
Nigerian families been selling their
kids since 1899...
am just saving money to buy my own slave.
i dont know why a civilized country would still be doing trash.

This FTC is dedicated to the lady under me, sorry i didnt know u where behind would have open the door for u to walk in first.

kiss kiss kiss
pls help me carryout more research on church or white weeding is it biblical? Iam more interested. 10s.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 8:23am On Aug 02, 2015
OP u dey waste yya time norni! All these talk nah fr another man tradition, the Jews to be prescise. Its not even for Christians cos I no see any new testament quotes.

No girl is free, pay for head before u take her home. Either u marry from PH(their roten girls) with high bride price or u marry from Kano(the home-trained and disciplined girls) which have cheaper bride price ,for a bettr future grin

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Deejaygold(m): 8:38am On Aug 02, 2015
Adamsdelrio:
Whaooooo! Thank God my prospective inlaws are Christians. I'm gonna present these facts to them so that I can marry their daughter for free... gringrin

Bros, ℓ hailed you OOº°˚˚˚˚°ºOo
Tif grin grin grin
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by kalufelix(m): 8:39am On Aug 02, 2015
Imagine using your $$ to purchase such harzadous compound that could even kill you...

#womanSHA
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Danhumprey: 8:41am On Aug 02, 2015
safarigirl:
my friend go and hustle money for bride price and stop wailing.

I bet you don't live by half the rules of the old testament all you moaning moaners are endorsing here. The only time the bible mentions marriage is where it stated that marriage can only be sanctioned by God when the father gives his daughter away.

If you can only take a wife via bride price, then pay it, afterall, even Jesus said give to Caesar what is Caesar's and give to God what is God's, so for all of you trying to use God's word to avoid traditional rites, don't forget that part of the bible.
I am not against bride. It's just unfortunate you misread me. Your father raised you as his daughter with his money and sweat. It will be understandable that whoever to marry you should pay a particular amount of money to your Dad as "commendation" for his patience and willingness to raise you up to who you are in your husband eyes. What I'm against is when your Dad chose to impose a huge amount of money on your head as bride price to whoever want to marry you. It lack sense and scares potential suitors away,thereby limiting on your chance of getting married.

I for one,if I have a daughter,I'll do my best to raise her up well and present her to whoever want to marry her. But I won't force any potential suitor to pay oustrageous amount as her bride price or to organize their wedding. In a nutshell,I'm not against bride price,but let's there be moderation. Simple.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by XKZ(m): 9:06am On Aug 02, 2015
There is a strong deficit of logic in this post.

So if a father tells you "if you injure my daughter you must marry her" that means it's only when a lady is injured that she gets married.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by ImmaculateIfy: 9:10am On Aug 02, 2015
Toks2008:
I want all the "My pastor said" to come on and argue these facts and i want the pastors and Bishops who preach contrary to come in and educate me more maybe there is something im missing.
. I hope you will give your sister's and your daughters free for they husbands to be
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by engrolawei: 9:11am On Aug 02, 2015
Toks2008:
In many Countries, the issue of Bride price has been known to be a well grounded factor in determining your franchise over the lady.

In some parts of the world, this issue has been blown beyond proportion that huge money is usually asked by the Bride's parent and many suitors see this as very discouraging.

The amazing fact is that if you ask anyone why a bride price must be paid,they will be very quick to answer that GOD commanded it and even our pastors are quick to lay emphasis on this as a condition that must be met before a man and woman can be said to be married before GOD.

But is Bride price really a condition necessary for marriage? Can we say you are really married even if bride price have not been paid? Did GOD specifically lay down this as a law or was it man made tradition? Can Bride price be paid at anytime during the course of the couple living together as Man and wife? and is it proper for the bride's parents to present a list or ask for monetary bride price from the groom's family?

These shocking truths from the very Bible people use as yardstick for bride price will clear the air.

1. Bride price was never a commandment from GOD as a condition for marriage but only as a penalty for rape and in fact, you can still pay the Bride price and still be denied the woman to be your wife by the Father.

Lets read this from the book of exodus 22:16-17:
"If a man seduces a virgin who is not pledged to be married and sleeps with her, he must pay the bride-price, and she shall be his wife.If her father absolutely refuses to give her to him, he must still pay the bride-price for virgins."

Deuteronomy 22:28-29: "If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay her father fifty shekels[a] of silver. He must marry the young woman,for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

2.Monetary bride is to be paid only on a virgin provided the man has slept with her before he decides to marry her but if the man has never slept with her,there should be no need to pay a dime on her.(Read again Exodus 22:16-17 above)

3.Even if a man meets a virgin and defiles her and decides to marry her,no man is expected to pay more than 50shekels of silver as a penalty and according to Google research, 50 shekels of silver is just about 15usd today so what is this madness going on where in some places a man is asked to pay hundreds and thousands for a lady who have probably slept with many men.

4.There was never ever a place in the Bible where GOD commanded the bride's parent to present a list but it is the groom's responsibility to bring whatever he dims fit for the lady he wants to marry.

The great example in the Bible was Isaac's marriage to Rebekah who was a virgin and there was no monetary exchange or penalty whatsoever between the two families but affordable gifts were giving to Rebekkah's family by Abraham but not demanded for by Rebekkah's family. Read Genesis 24:52-54.

5. Bride price according to the bible is all about virgins and all the references and bible verses all point to paying a penalty for defiling a virgin as well as giving gifts as Abraham did to Rebekah who also happen to be a virgin.

Genesis 24:15-16:Before he had finished praying, Rebekah came out with her jar on her shoulder. She was the daughter of Bethuel son of Milkah, who was the wife of Abraham’s brother Nahor.The woman was very beautiful, a virgin; no man had ever slept with her. She went down to the spring, filled her jar and came up again.

6.Payment of monetary bride price on ladies generally whether virgins or non virgins is a tradition and not a direct commandment from GOD and in some countries like india,its a woman that actually pays a dowry on the groom and not the other way round.

7.Presenting list or asking for monetary bride price from a man who conscientiously marries a lady is man made rule and not from GOD hence becomes a sin because its better to obey GOD rather than men.

Acts 5:29:Peter and the other apostles replied: "We must obey God rather than human beings!

Conclusively i would advice that we just flow with the fun fare and traditions of the land and pay the bride price to either the Father of the Bride or the Mother of any lady we want to marry even if she is a LovePeddler.

Nevertheless.outrageous monetary bride price or list must be discouraged because it is not even Biblical in the first place but only necessary to obey customs and traditions.

Even Prophet Mohamed(May the peace of GOD be upon him) has this to say:

"the most blessed marriage is one in which the marriage partners place the least burden on each other" (al-Haythami, Kitab ab-Nikah, 4:255).

My candid take.

If you think what you wrote applies, try your luck and see if any man will give out his daughter to you for free. I am a father and I know what it takes to have your daughter around you and I paid a bride price for my wife. Why will you spend heavily on drinks and food and you want to skip bride price? It shows you dont value the woman.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by wrongnumber: 9:12am On Aug 02, 2015
Danhumprey:
I am not against bride. It's just unfortunate you misread me. Your father raised you as his daughter with his money and sweat. It will be understandable that whoever to marry you should pay a particular amount of money to your Dad as "commendation" for his patience and willingness to raise you up to who you are in your husband eyes. What I'm against is when your Dad chose to impose a huge amount of money on your head as bride price to whoever want to marry you. It lack sense and scares potential suitors away,thereby limiting on your chance of getting married.

I for one,if I have a daughter,I'll do my best to raise her up well and present her to whoever want to marry her. But I won't force any potential suitor to pay oustrageous amount as her bride price or to organize their wedding. In a nutshell,I'm not against bride price,but let's there be moderation. Simple.

I will give you my beautiful sis for this post.

Now after carefully reading and understanding the OP I hereby draw the following conclusions.

1.No parent should hand over list or ask for monatery bprice from any man who their daughter willingly agrees to marry but should allow the man bring whatever he can offer to the best of his anility just as Abraham did.

2.No man should pay more than 15usd or its equivalent to a lady that he disvirgins and latter decide to marry and if he has not slept with her before marriage,no money should be recieved by the parents but such a guy should give the parents of the bride private jet if he can afford it because the lady is worth it.

3.If you want to marry a girl who was not disvirgined by you,she should be given freely to you and if you must pay a redemptive bprice on her as Hosea did on gomir,you should pay only 15sheckels of silver which should be about 2usd on her and give her parents watever you can offer.

End of story.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by wrongnumber: 9:17am On Aug 02, 2015
engrolawei:

If you think what you wrote applies, try your luck and see if any man will give out his daughter to you for free. I am a father and I know what it takes to have your daughter around you and I paid a bride price for my wife. Why will you spend heavily on drinks and food and you want to skip bride price? It shows you dont value the woman.

Oga Titus read the write up again No one is asking anyone not to pay b price,just that we should not marry the greedy idea of today with the inocent and reasonable ordinances of the bible.

Daddy shey you understand?
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 9:23am On Aug 02, 2015
Yes pay what you can but it doesn't apply to everyone... I know of a guy who payed 1k as dowry... My mom's bride price was up to a mil. Different families, different things.. It's not like the parents are poor but most of them want to see how much you have to take care of their daughter. In kalabari if its iya its hella expensive, if its igwo , it's cheap.. Go for any kind that suits you..

Because you can't pay bride price doesn't mean everybody should give their dota for free.. I know of a place in Yoruba land wer dey don't pay dowry.. Go there.

If I give you an iphone 6+ for free ND u saving money to buy it... Which do you think you will value?
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by harffie(m): 9:27am On Aug 02, 2015
Toks2008:
In many Countries, the issue of Bride price has been known to be a well grounded factor in determining your franchise over the lady.

In some parts of the world, this issue has been blown beyond proportion that huge money is usually asked by the Bride's parent and many suitors see this as very discouraging.

The amazing fact is that if you ask anyone why a bride price must be paid,they will be very quick to answer that GOD commanded it and even our pastors are quick to lay emphasis on this as a condition that must be met before a man and woman can be said to be married before GOD.

But is Bride price really a condition necessary for marriage? Can we say you are really married even if bride price have not been paid? Did GOD specifically lay down this as a law or was it man made tradition? Can Bride price be paid at anytime during the course of the couple living together as Man and wife? and is it proper for the bride's parents to present a list or ask for monetary bride price from the groom's family?

These shocking truths from the very Bible people use as yardstick for bride price will clear the air.

1. Bride price was never a commandment from GOD as a condition for marriage but only as a penalty for rape and in fact, you can still pay the Bride price and still be denied the woman to be your wife by the Father.

"If a man seduces a virgin who is not pledged to be married and sleeps with her, he must pay the bride-price, and she shall be his wife.If her father absolutely refuses to give her to him, he must still pay the bride-price for virgins."

Deuteronomy 22:28-29: "If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay her father fifty shekels[a] of silver. He must marry the young woman,for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

2.Monetary bride is to be paid only on a virgin provided the man has slept with her before he decides to marry her but if the man has never slept with her,there should be no need to pay a dime on her.(Read again Exodus 22:16-17 above)

3.Even if a man meets a virgin and defiles her and decides to marry her,no man is expected to pay more than 50shekels of silver as a penalty and according to Google research, 50 shekels of silver is just about 15usd today so what is this madness going on where in some places a man is asked to pay hundreds and thousands for a lady who have probably slept with many men.

4.There was never ever a place in the Bible where GOD commanded the bride's parent to present a list but it is the groom's responsibility to bring whatever he dims fit for the lady he wants to marry.

The great example in the Bible was Isaac's marriage to Rebekah who was a virgin and there was no monetary exchange or penalty whatsoever between the two families but affordable gifts were giving to Rebekkah's family by Abraham but not demanded for by Rebekkah's family. Read Genesis 24:52-54.

5. Bride price according to the bible is all about virgins and all the references and bible verses all point to paying a penalty for defiling a virgin as well as giving gifts as Abraham did to Rebekah who also happen to be a virgin.

Genesis 24:15-16:Before he had finished praying, Rebekah came out with her jar on her shoulder. She was the daughter of Bethuel son of Milkah, who was the wife of Abraham’s brother Nahor.The woman was very beautiful, a virgin; no man had ever slept with her. She went down to the spring, filled her jar and came up again.

6.Payment of monetary bride price on ladies generally whether virgins or non virgins is a tradition and not a direct commandment from GOD and in some countries like india,its a woman that actually pays a dowry on the groom and not the other way round.

7.Presenting list or asking for monetary bride price from a man who conscientiously marries a lady is man made rule and not from GOD hence becomes a sin because its better to obey GOD rather than men.

Acts 5:29:Peter and the other apostles replied: "We must obey God rather than human beings!

Conclusively i would advice that we just flow with the fun fare and traditions of the land and pay the bride price to either the Father of the Bride or the Mother of any lady we want to marry even if she is a LovePeddler.

Nevertheless.outrageous monetary bride price or list must be discouraged because it is not even Biblical in the first place but only necessary to obey customs and traditions.

"the most blessed marriage is one in which the marriage partners place the least burden on each other" (al-Haythami, Kitab ab-Nikah, 4:255).

My candid take.

is Traditional wedding the same with Church wedding?? Shey na pastor dey collect bride price or parents of wife? It has nothing to do with God, its the culture of the yoruba........I was shocked to see you quote bible btw.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Burger01(m): 9:40am On Aug 02, 2015
Adamsdelrio:
Whaooooo! Thank God my prospective inlaws are Christians. I'm gonna present these facts to them so that I can marry their daughter for free... gringrin
Lol. You are on your own bruh cheesy
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 9:44am On Aug 02, 2015
halfrica:

Shall you learn to mind your own business?
DID YOU JUST COMMENT WITHOUT READING undecided

LEARN TO THINK IN BETWEEN THE LINE
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by lordkit3(m): 9:47am On Aug 02, 2015
Hmm
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Seventeen(f): 9:50am On Aug 02, 2015
wrongnumber:

my friend we're just trying to be funny/silly ... U cant possibly believe dat we actually think he wrote dat cos he has no money to pay bride price... We are not stupiid plz.
Meanwhile........
Intelligent writer my foot.... dats a lot of jargon he wrote there.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by innervoice(m): 10:01am On Aug 02, 2015
safarigirl:
I can never give my daughter out to any man complaining of bride price. If you can't afford it,.then you can't afford a family.

I will never marry my daughter off to such a man. If you have to bytch and moan before you can do what has been done for ages then you're not man eenough. Did the 98% of guys that can't afford bride price think they'll abolish it when they want to marry?

People should save for marriage early on. When you start dating, you should start saving for a marriage, or you put off dating till you can afford one. Don't tell me you can't afford it when it's time. What have you been doing since? Abi no be your age mates dey marry? Are they superhuman? That's like knowing you have an exam, but you choose.to not read hoping the exam will be scrapped.

Lack of preparation is not an excuse. If you know in the next 3 years, you can't afford a marriage if it comes up, then don't date.

I have many terrible stories about men who can't afford families and still get married. None of them is encouraging, so I loathe this entire idea of skipping bride price. In fact, if I can, I would make sure the man pays me every dime I spent on her education cuz I know I would stand to gain more from a single working class daughter than a married one.

First of all, have a daughter, raise her and then see how many suitors she will have. I have seen families begging men to take their daughters for free. Sad enough! Secondly, why do you think you have to gain anything materialistic from having children?
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by anukulapo: 10:07am On Aug 02, 2015
Toks2008:

This is an intellectual forum and not hostel discussion.
Choi!!!

Cutie is in defence of bride price. I agree with the "pay bride price" argument because not all ladies are priceless. (Hope you get what I'm trying to say).
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Seventeen(f): 10:25am On Aug 02, 2015
Charity begins at home, i know OP has sisters and female cousins, and i hope they were all given out or will be given out for 15 shekels of silver (lol... By d way, ds really cracks me up just typing it). If not he can come back and tell us when he has successfully changed his family's mindset, then maybe our own families will follow suit...... Lol..(still chuckling cheesy @ 15 shekels of silver)
Mnwhile
I hope OP keeps all the zillions of other laws in deuteronomy alone talk more of d whole old testament.... Hnmmmmm, odikwa risky
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by innervoice(m): 10:30am On Aug 02, 2015
Seventeen:
Charity begins at home, i know OP has sisters and female cousins, and i hope they were all given out or will be given out for 15 shekels of silver (lol... By d way, ds really cracks me up just typing it). If not he can come back and tell us when he has successfully changed his family's mindset, then maybe our own families will follow suit...... Lol..(still chuckling cheesy @ 15 shekels of silver)
Mnwhile
I hope OP keeps all the zillions of other laws in deuteronomy alone talk more of d whole old testament.... Hnmmmmm, odikwa risky

Given out or sold out?
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by carinmom(f): 10:33am On Aug 02, 2015
Toks2008:

My candid take.

Op I'm only interested in the part where you quoted Prophet Muhammad ( SAW), Is not that the prophet is totally against bride price but he discouraged parents and guardians from demanding for large sum. According to him the most blessed marriage is the one in which least bride price is paid.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Is My Dad Trying To Have An Extramarital Affair? / My Husband Denies Me Sex And Affection...its Killing Me / Nigerian Man Baths His Baby, Becomes An Internet Sensation (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.